Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Mock Draft Talk Mock Drafts, group Mocks and links to all the shamockery.

Old 10-13-2011   #1
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 56437 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Steel B's 1st 2012 Mock

Rd.1 David DeCastro, Stanford- OG 6'5 310 LBS 5.1, DeCastro is a big nasty intelligent mobile OG. He's a mauler who is mobile enough to play in a ZBS or strong enough to play in a power scheme. Best interior OL in draft. IMHO. 10 yr starter.

Rd.2 Dwight Jones, North Carolina- WR 6'4 225 LBS 4.53, Big athletic playmaker. Runs excellent routes, creates speparation, willing blocker. Jones is immediately the best #2 WR in Texans history. Best of all he appears to be the anti Jacoby Jones in terms of work ethic.

Rd.3 Brandon Boykin, Georgia -CB 5'10 183 LBS 4.4, Boykin is a pure cover CB who has great speed and instincts. Although he's small hes a willing tackler who is a top notch KR/PR. (Bye Bye Jacoby) He was suspended with a teammate is the only reason Boykin falls this far. (I think DUI)

Rd.4 Hebron (Loni) Fangupo, BYU- DT 6'2 330 LBS 5.1, Fangupo is the big strong run stopping NT this team has been needing for yrs. USC transfer due to probation. Fangupo was the strongest player on the team according to the HC. He also is very agile. He was dominant against the run against UT earlier this yr. Trading up as high as the 2nd rd to get Fangupo would be an option for me.

Rd.5 AJ Jenkins, Illinois- WR 6'0 190 4.3, Jenkins intrigues me as a project size sped guy whose best yrs may be ahead of him, fairly polished under Ron Zook, led the team in catches 56 yds 746, tds 7. Jenkins also KR for the Illini. (Did I mention I would like to see the failed Jacoby experiment come to an end.)

Rd.6 J.R. Sweezy, North Carolina St.- DE 6'5 293 LBS 4.95, Sweezy is an athletic team captian who only lasted this long because he broke his foot this yr. He's a project but he has the god given talent. I took a flier on him this late and am hopeful that he can provide depth at the DE spot. (replaces Bulman)

Rd.7 Traded for Mason, D**n you Jacoby. LOL

I put quite a bit of time into this and would love as much feedback as possible. Thanks

Last edited by steelbtexan; 10-13-2011 at 10:14 PM.
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011   #2
bah007
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 56209 bah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Steel B's 1st 2012 Mock

1. DeCastro - Love it. Totally agree, best interior OL in the draft.

2. Jones - Love it. One of my guys to watch this year. Prob my favorite WR in this class outside of the sure first rounders.

3. Boykin - Not very high on him as a CB, he has definitely had his problems covering the elite guys. Special player with the ball in his hands though. I would probably go a different direction.

4. Fangupo - Best you're gonna get at NT this late in the draft.

5. Jenkins - Love this pick too. I'm not against taking two WRs in this draft as long as one of them can return kicks, Jenkins can.

6. Johnson - Wasted pick in my opinion. Johnson doesn't block well enough to play FB in the NFL. He's just a big, slow, HB.
bah007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011   #3
SteveSlaton20
All Pro

Rep Power: 717 SteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to SteveSlaton20

I'm a Texas fan I don't really like CJ that much. He dances too much, and has a terrible vision. Unless your oline wins the battle on 3rd/4th and short, he's not gonna get it.

I think we should go after a WR in the first, trade our '12 and '12 first rounders for a top 10 pick for Alshon Jeffery. IMO he's a shorter and a little slower Calvin Johnson. This guy catches everything thrown his way, and he had a terrible QB in Garica. How amazing would it be to have Andre Johnson and a clone Calvin Johnson on the same field?
Old 10-13-2011   #4
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 56437 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveSlaton20 View Post
I'm a Texas fan I don't really like CJ that much. He dances too much, and has a terrible vision. Unless your oline wins the battle on 3rd/4th and short, he's not gonna get it.

I think we should go after a WR in the first, trade our '12 and '12 first rounders for a top 10 pick for Alshon Jeffery. IMO he's a shorter and a little slower Calvin Johnson. This guy catches everything thrown his way, and he had a terrible QB in Garica. How amazing would it be to have Andre Johnson and a clone Calvin Johnson on the same field?
OK

I will revise the mock a little (Cross Cody Johnson off the board) I wasn't really sold on him anyway.

Lets add some depth at DE. J.R. Sweezy DE N.C. State.

I would be on board with trading up and picking Jeffery. He's a rare talent and could help the team at WR2 while learning his craft under AJ and eventually move into the WR1 spot. Jeffery has future pro bowl ability. The way I see it is playmakers win games. If you get a chance to get a playmaker you do it. Jeffery is this kind of player. IMHO
Old 10-13-2011   #5
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 87576 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
Rd.1 David DeCastro, Stanford- OG 6'5 310 LBS 5.1, DeCastro is a big nasty intelligent mobile OG. He's a mauler who is mobile enough to play in a ZBS or strong enough to play in a power scheme. Best interior OL in draft. IMHO. 10 yr starter.

Rd.2 Dwight Jones, North Carolina- WR 6'4 225 LBS 4.53, Big athletic playmaker. Runs excellent routes, creates speparation, willing blocker. Jones is immediately the best #2 WR in Texans history. Best of all he appears to be the anti Jacoby Jones in terms of work ethic.

Rd.3 Brandon Boykin, Georgia -CB 5'10 183 LBS 4.4, Boykin is a pure cover CB who has great speed and instincts. Although he's small hes a willing tackler who is a top notch KR/PR. (Bye Bye Jacoby) He was suspended with a teammate is the only reason Boykin falls this far. (I think DUI)

Rd.4 Hebron (Loni) Fangupo, BYU- DT 6'2 330 LBS 5.1, Fangupo is the big strong run stopping NT this team has been needing for yrs. USC transfer due to probation. Fangupo was the strongest player on the team according to the HC. He also is very agile. He was dominant against the run against UT earlier this yr. Trading up as high as the 2nd rd to get Fangupo would be an option for me.

Rd.5 AJ Jenkins, Illinois- WR 6'0 190 4.3, Jenkins intrigues me as a project size sped guy whose best yrs may be ahead of him, fairly polished under Ron Zook, led the team in catches 56 yds 746, tds 7. Jenkins also KR for the Illini. (Did I mention I would like to see the failed Jacoby experiment come to an end.)

Rd.6 J.R. Sweezy, North Carolina St.- DE 6'5 293 LBS 4.95, Sweezy is an athletic team captian who only lasted this long because he broke his foot this yr. He's a project but he has the god given talent. I took a flier on him this late and am hopeful that he can provide depth at the DE spot. (replaces Bulman)

Rd.7 Traded for Mason, D**n you Jacoby. LOL

I put quite a bit of time into this and would love as much feedback as possible. Thanks
OG not my first round choice but would not scream against it as we do need a replacement.

Jones is a good pick and should be avail.

Boykins will not be drafted by Texans due to history. I think Floyd falls into this category also.

Fangupo not much available about him but does he ever remain anywhere long? Never watched him pay but will try to. I like Poe.
Old 10-13-2011   #6
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
OG not my first round choice but would not scream against it as we do need a replacement.

Jones is a good pick and should be avail.

Boykins will not be drafted by Texans due to history. I think Floyd falls into this category also.

Fangupo not much available about him but does he ever remain anywhere long? Never watched him pay but will try to. I like Poe.
I know Boykins got suspended for 2 games. What was he suspended for?

I 1st saw Fangupo play against Texas. He was impressive. He's a family man who has adjusted well yo going to BYU.

He started out in JC. (Alot of guys do) He must have talent USC signed him. He tranfered after USC was put on probation. (Cant blame him) So although he has been to 3 schools circumstances dictated it. Check him out I think you will like what you see.
Old 10-14-2011   #7
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 39326 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

I would think whoever drafts Luck will have their eye on one of his OL for protection, might be a trade down opportunity?

Lets just pencil in a WR 2nd rd. I would want someone already polished & ready to start.

Something keeps me from wanting to draft another CB this high? This would be excellent value here to find a replacement @ RG. Again someone polished, physical, smart & ready to start.

Don't know much about Hebron (Loni) Fangupo, BYU- DT 6'2 330 but sounds like an excellent situational NG prospect.

AJ Jenkins, Illinois is someone I could go for to fill slot receiver. like his production, a poor man Broyles if you will so if its possible get a bigger WR in 1st/2nd.

J.R. Sweezy, North Carolina St.- DE 6'5 293 nice size for a 3-4 DE. Certainly need more 5 tech talent to develop for depth purposes.

Nice effort big guy

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 10-14-2011   #8
Wolf6151
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 18476 Wolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respected

1. DeCastro, I really like the player and think that he'd be a big asset to the team but not the position that I would have chosen. I'd go for a CB if one of the good ones is still available.
2. Jones, I love this pick though it may take some luck cause he could also go late 1st round or early 2nd.
3. Boykin, he's a little above average for a CB but nothing special and we've got enough mid round CB's. I'd move NT up to here.
4. Fangupo, I don't know anything about him but he sounds good.
5. Jenkins, I don't know anything about him either but some added depth at WR can't be bad.
6. Sweezy, see Jenkins.
Wolf6151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011   #9
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover View Post
I would think whoever drafts Luck will have their eye on one of his OL for protection, might be a trade down opportunity?

Lets just pencil in a WR 2nd rd. I would want someone already polished & ready to start.

Something keeps me from wanting to draft another CB this high? This would be excellent value here to find a replacement @ RG. Again someone polished, physical, smart & ready to start.

Don't know much about Hebron (Loni) Fangupo, BYU- DT 6'2 330 but sounds like an excellent situational NG prospect.

AJ Jenkins, Illinois is someone I could go for to fill slot receiver. like his production, a poor man Broyles if you will so if its possible get a bigger WR in 1st/2nd.

J.R. Sweezy, North Carolina St.- DE 6'5 293 nice size for a 3-4 DE. Certainly need more 5 tech talent to develop for depth purposes.

Nice effort big guy
Love your trade down scenario.

Thanks for the compliment, Keep an eye on Fangupo, I might even move him ahead of Boykins into the 3rd rd.
Old 10-14-2011   #10
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf6151 View Post
1. DeCastro, I really like the player and think that he'd be a big asset to the team but not the position that I would have chosen. I'd go for a CB if one of the good ones is still available.
2. Jones, I love this pick though it may take some luck cause he could also go late 1st round or early 2nd.
3. Boykin, he's a little above average for a CB but nothing special and we've got enough mid round CB's. I'd move NT up to here.
4. Fangupo, I don't know anything about him but he sounds good.
5. Jenkins, I don't know anything about him either but some added depth at WR can't be bad.
6. Sweezy, see Jenkins.
What makes Boykin different than all of the other mid rd CB's the Texans have taken is that he is a dynamic KR/PR. You can finally get rid of Jacoby and if Boykins turns into an upgrade at CB2 you're ahead of the game. He certianly has the speed and athletic ability to become a fine CB2.

Boykins reminds me of DeAngelo Hall, the way he plays and how he's built. Along with a cocky streak that is necessary to be a starting CB in the NFL.
Old 10-14-2011   #11
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 57325 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by bah007 View Post
1. DeCastro - Love it. Totally agree, best interior OL in the draft.

2. Jones - Love it. One of my guys to watch this year. Prob my favorite WR in this class outside of the sure first rounders.
These two guys are also on my radar; too early (for me, since I don't normally get heavily into the college games until at least the halfway mark.)

Couple of guys on the O-line I also want to keep track on are from the Wisconsin Badgers interior.

Same team sports a WR, Nick Toons, another NFL blood line.

I noticed these guys when I watched Camiri and Graham.
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011   #12
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post
These two guys are also on my radar; too early (for me, since I don't normally get heavily into the college games until at least the halfway mark.)

Couple of guys on the O-line I also want to keep track on are from the Wisconsin Badgers interior.

Same team sports a WR, Nick Toons, another NFL blood line.

I noticed these guys when I watched Camiri and Graham.
I watched them dominate the Cornhuskers. You cant go wrong drafting a Badger OL.
Old 10-17-2011   #13
bah007
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 56209 bah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
What makes Boykin different than all of the other mid rd CB's the Texans have taken is that he is a dynamic KR/PR. You can finally get rid of Jacoby and if Boykins turns into an upgrade at CB2 you're ahead of the game. He certianly has the speed and athletic ability to become a fine CB2.

Boykins reminds me of DeAngelo Hall, the way he plays and how he's built. Along with a cocky streak that is necessary to be a starting CB in the NFL.
I wouldn't consider that a good thing.

I'm a former CB, and we have a nickname for guys like Hall. He is a merc, or mercenary. All he cares about is INTs. He has no interest in tackling or actually covering anyone. And for every INT he gets by successfully baiting the QB, he gives up about 3 touchdowns.
Old 10-17-2011   #14
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
I wouldn't consider that a good thing.

I'm a former CB, and we have a nickname for guys like Hall. He is a merc, or mercenary. All he cares about is INTs. He has no interest in tackling or actually covering anyone. And for every INT he gets by successfully baiting the QB, he gives up about 3 touchdowns.
This yr he's not that bad.

It even appears that Hall is willin to tackle this yr. Unlike previous yrs.

The reason I like Boykin is he's a great KR/PR. Even if he fails at CB he still can add value on ST's.

Boykin's an above average cover CB (really fast) because of his lack of size he struggles to set the edge against the run. But I would settle for that after watching KJ set the edge well for 2 yrs. But fall down/cant cover UDFA WR's.
Old 10-17-2011   #15
bah007
Hall of Fame

Quote:
This yr he's not that bad.

It even appears that Hall is willin to tackle this yr. Unlike previous yrs.

The reason I like Boykin is he's a great KR/PR. Even if he fails at CB he still can add value on ST's.

Boykin's an above average cover CB (really fast) because of his lack of size he struggles to set the edge against the run. But I would settle for that after watching KJ set the edge well for 2 yrs. But fall down/cant cover UDFA WR's.
I like Boykin for the same reason. I just wouldn't compare him to Hall.

Still, I don't know if Boykin would be an upgrade over anything we currently have at CB. If we took him, I think he would wind up strictly as a returner.
Old 10-17-2011   #16
Dutchrudder 
COOL BEANS!

Section: Fort Kickass
Rep Power: 150980 Dutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I like Boykin for the same reason. I just wouldn't compare him to Hall.

Still, I don't know if Boykin would be an upgrade over anything we currently have at CB. If we took him, I think he would wind up strictly as a returner.
Couldn't he become the nickel CB? Allen is a free agent this year, and if he isn't re-signed, Kjax becomes the default #2 CB. I guess Harris would be the nickel CB in that case, but we haven't seen him much. I think a 3rd is too high for that sort of player, but if he could be had for a 5th, I think that would turn out to be a worthy pick.
Old 10-17-2011   #17
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchrudder View Post
Couldn't he become the nickel CB? Allen is a free agent this year, and if he isn't re-signed, Kjax becomes the default #2 CB. I guess Harris would be the nickel CB in that case, but we haven't seen him much. I think a 3rd is too high for that sort of player, but if he could be had for a 5th, I think that would turn out to be a worthy pick.
Agreed

Boykins is a 4th/5th rd CB. (McCain type)

The KR/PR moves him up to the 3rd. He's a really good KR/PR. Better than Jacoby and I consider Jacoby to be an above average PR.
Old 10-17-2011   #18
leebigeztx
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 23128 leebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via MSN to leebigeztx

What if the texans make the playoffs at 10-6 and rg3 is sitting there starring you in the face? Or what if geno smith comes out?
Old 10-17-2011   #19
bah007
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by leebigeztx View Post
What if the texans make the playoffs at 10-6 and rg3 is sitting there starring you in the face? Or what if geno smith comes out?
Griffin? Take him.

Smith? No thanks.

Smith is a very solid college player, but I don't think he has anywhere near the talent that Griffin does.
Old 10-17-2011   #20
bah007
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchrudder View Post
I'm still clutching to hope that Harris can develop into a #2 and then Jackson can play the nickel.

Steelb is right. Boykin is a 5th round CB talent. But he is a playmaker with the ball in his hands, and that pushes him up.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read