Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 04-25-2005   #21
TexansTrueFan
Hall of Fame

Send a message via Yahoo to TexansTrueFan

theres no way Hollings beats out wells for a spot on the team. I mean come on, after 2 games we will be stuck with 2 RB cause hollings is injuried.
TexansTrueFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2005   #22
TEXANS84

Rep Power: 3262 TEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TEXANS84 Send a message via Yahoo to TEXANS84

Pretty strong words for Morency:

Quote:
"I'm going to compete," Morency said. "My main goal is to take the starting job. That's my whole mindset anywhere I go."
Chronicle Story
TEXANS84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2005   #23
scourge 
Digression King

Rep Power: 3215 scourge is a quality contributor and well respectedscourge is a quality contributor and well respectedscourge is a quality contributor and well respectedscourge is a quality contributor and well respectedscourge is a quality contributor and well respectedscourge is a quality contributor and well respectedscourge is a quality contributor and well respectedscourge is a quality contributor and well respectedscourge is a quality contributor and well respectedscourge is a quality contributor and well respectedscourge is a quality contributor and well respected

Wells and bruiser should only be together in the same sentence when it says, "Wells was pummeled by that bruiser of a punter..."
scourge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2005   #24
michaelm
vox nihili

Section: 648
Rep Power: 88794 michaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respected

Are all of you fantasy football freaks out there starting to see the much dreaded RBBC?
michaelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2005   #25
scourge 
Digression King

Rep Power: 3215 scourge is a quality contributor and well respectedscourge is a quality contributor and well respectedscourge is a quality contributor and well respectedscourge is a quality contributor and well respectedscourge is a quality contributor and well respectedscourge is a quality contributor and well respectedscourge is a quality contributor and well respectedscourge is a quality contributor and well respectedscourge is a quality contributor and well respectedscourge is a quality contributor and well respectedscourge is a quality contributor and well respected

heheh, if so, then I wont be putting Texan rb's on my team. Seriously though, this probably wont be much different than last year. Prior to the start of the '04 season Capers said he would have DD run 15-20 times and Hollings 5-10 times.(I believe those were the #'s, but I could be off a touch.) Wells may have been factored in as well.
scourge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2005   #26
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 302162 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansTrueFan
theres no way Hollings beats out wells for a spot on the team. I mean come on, after 2 games we will be stuck with 2 RB cause hollings is injuried.
Watch it happen. Folks have been wanting a homerun RB ever since the Texans started. If, and it is the big IF Hollings can stay healthy he is that guy. IF the OL will come together to consistantly open holes Davis/Morency will move the chains, but Hollings is the guy that if the OL gives him the 1st two yards he can take it all the way. Even in the extremely limited playing time he has had you can see he doesn't just have a 2nd gear, he moves straight from 1st to 3rd gear. If the OL never develops to get the RB's started Hollings needs to go to a team like Denver or KC. If the OL does develop, Katie bar the door. That's why he will make the team before Wells.
Old 04-25-2005   #27
michaelm
vox nihili

Section: 648
Rep Power: 88794 michaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak
Watch it happen. Folks have been wanting a homerun RB ever since the Texans started. If, and it is the big IF Hollings can stay healthy he is that guy. IF the OL will come together to consistantly open holes Davis/Morency will move the chains, but Hollings is the guy that if the OL gives him the 1st two yards he can take it all the way. Even in the extremely limited playing time he has had you can see he doesn't just have a 2nd gear, he moves straight from 1st to 3rd gear. If the OL never develops to get the RB's started Hollings needs to go to a team like Denver or KC. If the OL does develop, Katie bar the door. That's why he will make the team before Wells.
In agreement...
a link to my prediction in the 'Accountability Thread'...

My prediction... ___
michaelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 04-26-2005   #28
Htown34s
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegr8fan
the deck does seem to be stacked against JJ coming back. There are too many really good to great return men already on the roster who can also play other positions on special teams or even starters. JJ was fun to watch, but it would be very shocking to see him on opening day.
Yep, I think so also. I see Mathis returning kick offs and Buchanon returning punts. We keep an extra LB or DL with JJ's spot.
Old 04-26-2005   #29
jr0ck
Veteran

Send a message via AIM to jr0ck

Quote:
My biggest reason for keeping wells would be that he is an adequate runner, but is also our most durable runner, by far.
i think of durability when i think of a big pounding back. wells has shown improvement every year in houston, and last year could be considered a 'coming out party' for him and his role on the team. he proved he can consistanly get 2.5/3 yards by slamming into our zone blocking line and stay healthy doing it (wells averaged 3.6 yds a carry last year, which also raised his career average to 3.0 yds a carry). i'm not saying he punishes defense's when he has the ball, but more or less grinds his carries out because of his size and durability thus far.

Quote:
i guess because of injuries (and a little because his goofy, upright running style ) i've just never developed into a hollings fan. i understand he's a project with raw ability, but i have always defended DD against the claims of him lacking 'homerun threat' speed. i know i am in the minority in this thinking but i think if the line can open a hole that would give hollings an opportunity to take it to the house, with DD's versatile combination of vision, explosiveness, speed and shiftyness; he is just as, if not more than, capable as TH is to go the distance. that's why i think wells is the better change of pace from two versatile and capable backs (DD/VM) to a big, pile pushing 'bruiser' who has improved every year as a texan. yeah, i said bruiser...again

this all being said, if tony stays healthy and earns his spot into the rotation then i'm all for it. i hope he has a chance to contribute to our success this year, but just judging from the past wells is the 3rd back on my depth chart...which almost counts for something

Last edited by jr0ck; 04-26-2005 at 09:59 AM. Reason: typing to fast for my brain...
jr0ck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2005   #30
JfromthaTray
Veteran

I think wells sneaks in again this year. We signed Baxter and Norris, any chance they both make it? My nod goes to Norris, he's paved the way for DD to get a gran 2yrs in a row.
JfromthaTray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2005   #31
Xman
Veteran

Moses is gone - between PB and Mathis he is not needed
I think Wells is gone also - too many RBs and Hollings gets one more year to pan out
Xman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2005   #32
TheOgre
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 17 TheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVP

DD, Morency, and Norris are locks right now.

I'm writing off 2003 as Hollings rehab year. He was not back from his major surgery yet (remember he got injured only 2-3 months before McGahee did), so I am calling 2004 his rookie year. Last year he had some naggying injuries. He needs to remain healthy (if possible) and show us his "stuff" this year. I'd like to see him get 5-7 carries a game as our "change of pace" back.
Wells was serviceable last year but he doesn't give us anything we don't have already. Baxter was a short-yardage back in college and can fill that role. DD has done very well in short-yardage anyways. I have little doubt that Wells or Baxter is the odd man out. I think it will probably be Wells since Baxter can proved depth as both a FB and situational RB.

If we mix in Hollings and Morency some, it might help keep DD healthy.

I'd be curious to see how many players we had in 2002 are still with the team when the season starts.
TheOgre is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read