Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Mock Draft Talk Mock Drafts, group Mocks and links to all the shamockery.

Old 10-11-2011   #1
SteveSlaton20
All Pro

Rep Power: 717 SteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to SteveSlaton20
Default Our Biggest Need?

For the first round next year, what's our biggest need?
Draft a NT? #2 WR? #2 CB?

What do you think? IMO, I think we should go after a NT, but this class doesn't have great NT, or so I've heard, and this year's WRs are ridiculously good.

Justin Blackmon, Alshon Jeffery, Michael Floyd, Jeff Fuller, hell even Ryan Broyles even tho he's short.
Old 10-11-2011   #2
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72199 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Our Biggest Need?

I think it comes down to what you brought up: BPA among those positions.

HJam72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011   #3
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72199 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

Oh, by the way, I don't think we're gonna solve the CB issue with the draft, which likely would just get us another KJ. It's probly gotta be a FA.

HJam72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011   #4
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 50265 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

A physical, unstoppable pass rusher with interior, trench strength & quickness to beat double teams. Mario is hurt & look at the drop off, plus he is probably going to be franchised, how can they reach a long term contract with his injury track record. For Wade Phillips defense to work its predicated on a dynamic pass rush. Look @ WR in 2nd & RG in 3rd, then CB, CB, CB throw in a FB or project NT.

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011   #5
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72604 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

I would let MW walk after franchising him and hopefully trading him for a 1st and a 3rd.

Then picking up a a 2nd CB like Carlos Rodgers, a NT like Soliai or a WR like Bowe or V.Jackson with the $$$$ saved would be the way I would go. You could probably sign 2 of the 3 FA's I mentioned with MW's saved.

Plus you would have two 1sts a 2nd and two 3rds to move around and try to find a younger healthier version of MW and add more quality depth to the team at DE, WR, OL.

I know this is thinking outside the box and I'm not a MW hater. The MW $$$$ would be better spent this way. IMHO

Biggest needs are 1. WR2 and CB2.
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011   #6
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 153429 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

A better GM/HC combo

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011   #7
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 150814 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny View Post
A better GM/HC combo

Well if we're going combos it's usually a burger , fries , and drink . So I'll go Gruden , ? , and RGIII .
Old 10-11-2011   #8
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 50265 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
A better GM/HC combo
do you really think this will change anytime soon

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011   #9
Doppelganger
None

Rep Power: 38282 Doppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover View Post
I think this is it. If the Texans don't make the playoffs in a year when the Colts are decimated, the Jags are in major rebuilding mode and the Titans are wildly inconsistent. If the Texans can't make the playoffs this year, I can't see how Kubes/Smith can keep their jobs.

Sig made by False Start in 2010.

Adopt a Texan 2011-Present: Duyen.
Doppelganger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011   #10
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 153429 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover View Post
no. We will back into the playoffs with 8-9 wins and will be one and done. The Franchise will be giddy and hurt their hands patting themselves on the back just like they did when the team went 9-7. Probably extend RS and Kubiak at that point. Kubiak's a lame duck coach next season so I bet McNair extends him and tries to sell the fans on the fact that we are a "playoff team" now. They already told us they were "winners" when we were 9-7. That and a dollar gets you a large coke at McDonalds though.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011   #11
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72604 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
A better GM/HC combo
^^^^
This
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011   #12
BattleRedToro
Thread Killer

Rep Power: 3989 BattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveSlaton20 View Post
For the first round next year, what's our biggest need?
Draft a NT? #2 WR? #2 CB?

What do you think? IMO, I think we should go after a NT, but this class doesn't have great NT, or so I've heard, and this year's WRs are ridiculously good.

Justin Blackmon, Alshon Jeffery, Michael Floyd, Jeff Fuller, hell even Ryan Broyles even tho he's short.
The Texans' biggest need is Quarterback.
Old 10-11-2011   #13
SteveSlaton20
All Pro

Rep Power: 717 SteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by BattleRedToro View Post
The Texans' biggest need is Quarterback.
get the frick out.
Old 10-11-2011   #14
Texan4Ever
Hall of Fame

Section: My couch
Rep Power: 17475 Texan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honoring Earl 34 View Post
Well if we're going combos it's usually a burger , fries , and drink . So I'll go Gruden , ? , and RGIII .
Who's the guy in the bold?

Here's my take:

1.) WR

2.) NT

3.) DB

4.) RB

5.) TE (like always)
Texan4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011   #15
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 150814 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan4Ever View Post
Who's the guy in the bold?

Here's my take:

1.) WR

2.) NT

3.) DB

4.) RB

5.) TE (like always)
http://espn.go.com/college-football/...rt-griffin-iii
Old 10-11-2011   #16
Wolf6151
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 27154 Wolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respected

Our biggest needs after head coach and GM:
NT, CB, WR, OG, ILB, DE, OLB, FS

My assessment of needs in the order I'd pick them:
CB, WR, NT, OG, ILB, DE, FS
Wolf6151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011   #17
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

This team has talent...

I don't even care what players we draft next year if this coaching staff is still here and still presenting the same ****** *** product.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011   #18
BattleRedToro
Thread Killer

Rep Power: 3989 BattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
get the frick out.
I'm serious.

I feel like Matt Schaub has regressed this year. Rewatch the first 5 games and tell me he hasn't been erratic. He's already 30 yrs old, so he probably isn't going to get any better. Actually, over the next few years he will likely continue to decline, although I don't believe it will be a precipitous decline.

If the Texans had more consistent and better play from their QB they would easily be 4-1, and likely 5-0 right now. The Texans would have blown out the Colts, Dolphins, Steelers, and Raiders. The Saints game would have been a win but not the curb-stomping that the other 4 games would have been. Right now the Texans should be the talk of the league much like the Lions are, but they're not because Matt Schaub is holding them back.
Old 10-11-2011   #19
SteveSlaton20
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by BattleRedToro View Post
I'm serious.

I feel like Matt Schaub has regressed this year. Rewatch the first 5 games and tell me he hasn't been erratic. He's already 30 yrs old, so he probably isn't going to get any better. Actually, over the next few years he will likely continue to decline, although I don't believe it will be a precipitous decline.

If the Texans had more consistent and better play from their QB they would easily be 4-1, and likely 5-0 right now. The Texans would have blown out the Colts, Dolphins, Steelers, and Raiders. The Saints game would have been a win but not the curb-stomping that the other 4 games would have been. Right now the Texans should be the talk of the league much like the Lions are, but they're not because Matt Schaub is holding them back.
Did you or did you not see our great offensive line last week? Even Tom Brady would've played terrible in that game. I'm not gonna say he didn't play flawlessly, because he didn't, but this game isn't on him. And I'm pretty sure we blew the Colts out...

E: And maybe the only rookie I can see doing better than Matt Schaub right away is Andrew Luck, but that's a big maybe. You're dumb if you think we can draft a QB that can take Schaub's place right away. And there's no way we're getting Luck. Maybe Weeden, IDK, but QB isn't our biggest need.
Old 10-12-2011   #20
BattleRedToro
Thread Killer

Quote:
Did you or did you not see our great offensive line last week? Even Tom Brady would've played terrible in that game. I'm not gonna say he didn't play flawlessly, because he didn't, but this game isn't on him. And I'm pretty sure we blew the Colts out...

E: And maybe the only rookie I can see doing better than Matt Schaub right away is Andrew Luck, but that's a big maybe. You're dumb if you think we can draft a QB that can take Schaub's place right away. And there's no way we're getting Luck. Maybe Weeden, IDK, but QB isn't our biggest need.
I'm not advocating starting a rookie QB right away. I'm advocating drafting a QB high in the draft and letting him learn behind Schaub for atleast a year. Green Bay did the same thing when Brett Favre's skills began to fade away. I know Favre was much older than Schaub when that happened. Favre was also a lot better than Schaub to begin with, so Favre had a lot farther to fall until he became an average QB. Favre also had a skill set to bail him out that Schaub has never had. He had a strong arm and could throw well on the run.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read