Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 10-10-2011   #1
gtexan02
Working?

Rep Power: 66827 gtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default 7 batted passes

I haven't seen anyone mention this yet, and I'm really curious what people think was going on here.

OL let down?
Schaub awareness let down?
Raiders DL awareness?

I mean, seriously, 7 batted passes for a 6'5" QB with a traditional delivery? Thats almost unheard of
Old 10-10-2011   #2
Carr Bombed
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 96562 Carr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: 7 batted passes

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtexan02 View Post
I haven't seen anyone mention this yet, and I'm really curious what people think was going on here.

OL let down?
Schaub awareness let down?
Raiders DL awareness?

I mean, seriously, 7 batted passes for a 6'5" QB with a traditional delivery? Thats almost unheard of
It's not just this game either. It's something I've noticed all season so far. Schaub has had passes knocked around at the line all year and they've already have led to a couple of picks also.
Carr Bombed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011   #3
TheMatrix31
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 60283 TheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respected

It's all on the offensive line. They were absolute trash yesterday. By far the cause of Schaub's failures, the ineffectiveness of the running game, and the overall worthlessness of the offense in general. Tough to block everyone when they're stacking the box because we don't have Andre Johnson.
TheMatrix31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011   #4
EVOLVIST
Kid A

Rep Power: 40576 EVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respected

Nah, Schaub had no reason to think his passing lanes would close up like that. All those batted balls, Schaub was throwing with confidence and no pressure was in his face.

That was just poor offensive line play and very good DL play from the Raiders.

Get ready for the Ravens to stack the box in the same way. Something has to change...but at least those batted balls weren't on Schaub this time.
EVOLVIST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011   #5
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 240894 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc

I think the short QBs have to find ways to get their passes through, so they're more aware of those sorts of things. When Schaub doesn't get the protection he needs, he doesn't really have that extra sense developed. JMO.
Old 10-10-2011   #6
DexmanC
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 37204 DexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by EVOLVIST View Post
Nah, Schaub had no reason to think his passing lanes would close up like that. All those batted balls, Schaub was throwing with confidence and no pressure was in his face.

That was just poor offensive line play and very good DL play from the Raiders.

Get ready for the Ravens to stack the box in the same way. Something has to change...but at least those batted balls weren't on Schaub this time.
Stacked box with Haloti Ngata, Ray Lewis, and Terrell Suggs.

......and Ed Lewis roaming the back waitin on Schaub to f-up.

Oh, yeah. Bernard Pollard is starting for them as well.

....good luck Texans.
Old 10-10-2011   #7
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 202148 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriadoc View Post
I think the short QBs have to find ways to get their passes through, so they're more aware of those sorts of things. When Schaub doesn't get the protection he needs, he doesn't really have that extra sense developed. JMO.
I agree. Drew Brees is only a stretched 6 feet tall. It is, for the most part, up to his OL's blocking scheme to develop passing lanes. However, when this does not develop or breaks down, he adjusts his delivery trajectory or sidesteps in order to reclaim an open lane. There is always going to be an available lane.......but a QB must be aware, willing and able to move in order to find it. It does not help if, although you have a 6'5" QB, he insists on only wearing designer cement apparel from Payless Shoes.
CloakNNNdagger is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 10-10-2011   #8
Cerberus
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 76298 Cerberus is a quality contributor and well respectedCerberus is a quality contributor and well respectedCerberus is a quality contributor and well respectedCerberus is a quality contributor and well respectedCerberus is a quality contributor and well respectedCerberus is a quality contributor and well respectedCerberus is a quality contributor and well respectedCerberus is a quality contributor and well respectedCerberus is a quality contributor and well respectedCerberus is a quality contributor and well respectedCerberus is a quality contributor and well respected

This might have something to do with it:

John Henderson 6'7"

Lamarr Houston 6'3"

Tommy Kelly 6'6"

Jarvis Moss 6'7"

Richard Seymour 6'6"

If it helps, they also did it to Sanchez and Brady. Well, not 7 times, but they were batting down passes against them as well.
Old 10-10-2011   #9
bckey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15763 bckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respected

I mentioned it in the who was the worst player thread last night. I thought it was some kind of record number because it happened so much. He had alot of bad passes also. I think the pressure from the Raiders was really getting to him mentally.
bckey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011   #10
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 73160 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected

Ed Reed
Old 10-10-2011   #11
XI CMURDER IX
Gig 'em

Rep Power: 1517 XI CMURDER IX is a quality contributor and well respectedXI CMURDER IX is a quality contributor and well respectedXI CMURDER IX is a quality contributor and well respectedXI CMURDER IX is a quality contributor and well respectedXI CMURDER IX is a quality contributor and well respectedXI CMURDER IX is a quality contributor and well respectedXI CMURDER IX is a quality contributor and well respectedXI CMURDER IX is a quality contributor and well respectedXI CMURDER IX is a quality contributor and well respectedXI CMURDER IX is a quality contributor and well respectedXI CMURDER IX is a quality contributor and well respected

Offensive line play is to blame, and I think it might be a little quarterback play as well. Schaub needed to be able to make the pocket move, and the offensive line needed to get the defensive lines hands down. The offensive line got abused yesterday, and by what I think is an average defensive line.
XI CMURDER IX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011   #12
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 146673 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

The arc of Schaub's passes look flat to me unless he is throwing long down the field.
Old 10-10-2011   #13
Brisco_County
Texans worthy

Rep Power: 63514 Brisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respected

This has a lot to do with timing. If a defense has your timing down, they get a sense of your reads and your releases. By the fourth quarter, they know when the ball is coming out, and there's a higher probability for an interception. It would help to pump fake, but I never see Schaub do that.
Brisco_County is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011   #14
parkus
waterboy

I'm in agreement that the height of the Raiders D-line was the problem with the batted passes but I seem to recall that Schaub had another ball that was tipped at the line that ended up being an INT earlier in the season.

I have tons of thoughts and have never posted them here before so I apologize if this offends anyone but here I go.

Schaub is a good quarterback. Good, not great. His chances of pulling out a game winning drive or losing on a bone headed play are about 50/50. Since AJ got hurt in the Pittsburgh game the offense has really bogged down. In the 6 quarters since AJ got hurt we have had:

1. Nothing really for 2 quarters until Foster's 40+ yard TD run to win against PIT.
2. Good opening drive yesterday then.....
3. 60 yard pass to Foster.
4. 50 yard pass to Walter.

So we bogged down for 2 quarters against PIT before Foster broke loose and after the opening drive yesterday every big play was followed by a 3 and out. Long story short, until we get Andre Johnson back I think the offense will continue to suffer.

Back to Schaub I look at the team in general. Look at the two times this year where the pressure was on him to win the game in the 4th quarter. NO and OAK. Both times the Texans had big leads and dominated the first half only to end up behind in the 4th quarter. The team seems to lack the killer instinct to put games away. Had we put the games away in the first half the way good teams do Schaub wouldn't be in these situations so I don't place all of the blame on Schaub.

I think Schaub is good enough to lead us to the promised land but the team in general needs to develop the killer instinct to put games away on both sides of the ball. Hell, if Kyle Boller and Trent Dilfer can win Super Bowls, so can Matt Schaub.

Maybe I'm crazy. Just my own observations.
parkus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011   #15
sbalderrama
Rookie

Rep Power: 96 sbalderrama is a quality contributor and well respectedsbalderrama is a quality contributor and well respectedsbalderrama is a quality contributor and well respectedsbalderrama is a quality contributor and well respectedsbalderrama is a quality contributor and well respectedsbalderrama is a quality contributor and well respectedsbalderrama is a quality contributor and well respectedsbalderrama is a quality contributor and well respectedsbalderrama is a quality contributor and well respectedsbalderrama is a quality contributor and well respectedsbalderrama is a quality contributor and well respected

Kubiak didn't seem very happy with the tipped passes either in his after game comments.

(on if the Raiders defense do anything he didn’t expect) “They pressured us a lot. They brought a lot of blitzes which we had some chances to make some plays. You have to get the ball in people’s hands and have them go make plays. We had a lot of balls tipped in some blitz situations which we have to take a look at why. We have to give them some credit, but you also got to be able to avoid and get the ball in the right spots so you can beat blitz. That’s part of what you’ve got to try to do. So, other than that, no, they did bring a lot of pressure.”
sbalderrama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011   #16
hradhak
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 7351 hradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respected

O line play was atrocious yesterday. But some of the onus has to fall on Schaub. He threw a lot of throws flat. Our playcalling didn't call for many quick throws either.

I think there were a lot of things that have to improve from the offensive standpoint. Why is it that this team can only have 1 side of the ball show up to play ?
hradhak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011   #17
CretorFrigg
Fire Rick Smith

Rep Power: 33323 CretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm not a big fan of grandma-speed Schaub right now, but that is far from his fault. Our O-line got pushed around.
Old 10-10-2011   #18
IDEXAN
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 46599 IDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respected

My understanding is that this is the same DLine the Raiders had last year that this same Texans OLine last year dominated, and if so what's that about ?
IDEXAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011   #19
srrono
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 21340 srrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respected

I dont know if it was a scheme thing but it seemed like HOU was doing more 3 step drops. Schaub was really close to d line all game.
srrono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011   #20
Blake
MMQB

Section: 551
Rep Power: 73433 Blake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respected

I have always felt like Schaub's delivery is very slow and long developing.
Blake is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read