Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

View Poll Results: Would you have taken 3-2 at the start of the season?
Taken it! 25 62.50%
No way! 16 and 0! 15 37.50%
Voters: 40. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-10-2011   #1
robroy72
Veteran

Rep Power: 6816 robroy72 is a quality contributor and well respectedrobroy72 is a quality contributor and well respectedrobroy72 is a quality contributor and well respectedrobroy72 is a quality contributor and well respectedrobroy72 is a quality contributor and well respectedrobroy72 is a quality contributor and well respectedrobroy72 is a quality contributor and well respectedrobroy72 is a quality contributor and well respectedrobroy72 is a quality contributor and well respectedrobroy72 is a quality contributor and well respectedrobroy72 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default If you were offered a 3-2 start at the beginning of the season, would you have ....

Given that we played the Colts, Saints and Steelers in the 1st 5 games ... if you were offered a 3-2 start on opening day, would you have taken it?
robroy72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011   #2
TheMatrix31
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 79206 TheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: If you were offered a 3-2 start at the beginning of the season, would you have ..

Most definitely.

My problem isn't the start. My problem is the injuries.

We must have killed some baby cows somewhere along the line.
TheMatrix31 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011   #3
robroy72
Veteran

Rep Power: 6816 robroy72 is a quality contributor and well respectedrobroy72 is a quality contributor and well respectedrobroy72 is a quality contributor and well respectedrobroy72 is a quality contributor and well respectedrobroy72 is a quality contributor and well respectedrobroy72 is a quality contributor and well respectedrobroy72 is a quality contributor and well respectedrobroy72 is a quality contributor and well respectedrobroy72 is a quality contributor and well respectedrobroy72 is a quality contributor and well respectedrobroy72 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: If you were offered a 3-2 start at the beginning of the season, would you have ..

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMatrix31 View Post
Most definitely.

My problem isn't the start. My problem is the injuries.

We must have killed some baby cows somewhere along the line.
Veal meat again ... don't know where ... don't know when...
robroy72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011   #4
gtexan02
Working?

Rep Power: 74340 gtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respected

I was hoping that we would finish 3-2. I would have taken it.
Not at the expense of AJ and MW
Old 10-10-2011   #5
Dread-Head
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 149846 Dread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respected

To paraphrase Homer Simpson "We're 3-2! We're still good! We're still good!"
"Why attack a man for his race or religion when there are so many other PERFECTLY good reasons?" :Dreademiah 2:16 Dread-Head. Texan from DAY ONE & PROUD Honorary Blue Crew member..."Damn it Bill!"
Dread-Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011   #6
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 322585 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Would I have taken a 3-2 start? Indy, Miami, Saints, Steelers, Raiders... yeah, I think I would. I voted no, because I am more upset about our offense not clicking yet. Yeah, I know Aj is special, but I always thought this was an offense that spread the ball around & getting everybody involved. I'm just not seeing that now...

I don't know, I think I'm still upset about losing the Raiders game. Losing to the Saints the way we lost to the Saints, I'm good with that, especially after following it up with a good win vs the Steelers. But to lose to the Raiders the way we did at home... I'm just not buying it.
Old 10-10-2011   #7
hradhak
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 8443 hradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtexan02 View Post
I was hoping that we would finish 3-2. I would have taken it.
Not at the expense of AJ and MW
Yeah that's the real problem. AJ maybe coming back but not having MW makes things difficult. Having Brooks Reed softens the blow somewhat but Mario demanded a double team that made it possible for the rest of the line to make plays.

I'm fine with 3-2, I think i even had us at 3-3 after the Ravens game. At this point we're still tied with the Titans for the division.
hradhak is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 10-10-2011   #8
TexanBacker93
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 21216 TexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respected

There should be another option. I don't think they should go 16-0. I'd love to see it, but it isn't realistic. I still think they should have been 4-1 after 5 games. Most people thought they would lose to the Steelers. Even before the season I wasn't feeling the Steeler love. This team should be 12-4. The schedule isn't tough and if you are a playoff caliber team then all games should be winnable.

Look at the remaining schedule.

@ Ravens L
@ Titans L
Jaguars W
Browns W
@ Bucs L
@ Jaguars W
Falcons W
@ Bengals W
Panthers W
@ Colts W
Titans W

This is how I originally felt. Now, Tampa isn't playing well so that could be a W. You lose a home game you should win you need to pick one up on the road that most thought was a loss. The next 2 weeks are huge. The team can't come back from Tennessee with a 3-4 record. If they are sitting there and maybe a game behind the Titans the stands will be half full for the first half of the game. The players will play tight and we could lose another game we shouldn't. They have to find a way to win one of the next 2. Both would be best.
TexanBacker93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011   #9
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 282867 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc

Honestly, it's about what I expected at the beginning of the season, and that's not good. I told myself if they finish 4-1, finding a way to pull out the Ravens or Steelers game, I'd be convinced they're a new team. At 3-2, I'm still not convinced they won't end up at the 5-7 mark at the end of November, which is just the same ol' Texans. We'll see. I'm still in wait and see mode. 4-1 would have put me in "unbearably chippy and optimistic Texans fan" mode. I almost remember what that was like, back in September of 2002.
Old 10-10-2011   #10
TheMatrix31
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 79206 TheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respected

The difference between 4-1 and 3-2 is enough to be the difference between the Texans being a new team and the Texans being one of the cursed, embarrassingly ridiculous failures in NFL history?
Old 10-10-2011   #11
Ranger Tom
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 29204 Ranger Tom is a quality contributor and well respectedRanger Tom is a quality contributor and well respectedRanger Tom is a quality contributor and well respectedRanger Tom is a quality contributor and well respectedRanger Tom is a quality contributor and well respectedRanger Tom is a quality contributor and well respectedRanger Tom is a quality contributor and well respectedRanger Tom is a quality contributor and well respectedRanger Tom is a quality contributor and well respectedRanger Tom is a quality contributor and well respectedRanger Tom is a quality contributor and well respected

This poll doesn't consider the possibility that we might have ended up worse than 3-2. I vote yes because of that.
Ranger Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011   #12
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 282867 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc

Quote:
The difference between 4-1 and 3-2 is enough to be the difference between the Texans being a new team and the Texans being one of the cursed, embarrassingly ridiculous failures in NFL history?
No, but coupled with their history, it's enough to temper optimism. If you really, truly are honest with yourself, and you don't have a hint of apprehension in you about the Texans right now, you either haven't followed the Texans for the last decade or you're a way off the charts pollyanna. (not you personally, just a general you)
Old 10-10-2011   #13
rush2112mn
All Pro

Rep Power: 972 rush2112mn is a quality contributor and well respectedrush2112mn is a quality contributor and well respectedrush2112mn is a quality contributor and well respectedrush2112mn is a quality contributor and well respectedrush2112mn is a quality contributor and well respectedrush2112mn is a quality contributor and well respectedrush2112mn is a quality contributor and well respectedrush2112mn is a quality contributor and well respectedrush2112mn is a quality contributor and well respectedrush2112mn is a quality contributor and well respectedrush2112mn is a quality contributor and well respected
Angry Re: If you were offered a 3-2 start at the beginning of the season, would you have ..

My problem is they should be 4-1 cause we gave that game away yesterday....plain and simple.....gave it as a present to the Raiders.
rush2112mn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011   #14
TheMatrix31
Hall of Fame

I have more than a hint of apprehension about the Texans because it's impossible to expect the same amount of success from a team that doesn't have their best defensive player going forward and a Top 10 NFL player for the next couple of weeks, not to mention the inexplicable lack of health from the deepest RB corps in the league and our FB that was expected to replace a Pro Bowl FB being out for the year as well.

People can say "injuries are excuses" all the want, but we're not in a position to be one of those "the great teams overcome injuries" teams. Especially when you look at who's missing and what those missing mean to what we do on offense and defense.
Old 10-10-2011   #15
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 297041 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

I love threads like this. Let's go back and look at this 3-2 start with lower expectations and you'll feel better (and if you don't then see how unreasonable you are!).

Bullshit.

I can only look at it through eyes that have seen the 5 games in question and I know that this team has no excuse for being anything less than 4-1 right now. They could very well be 5-0.
Old 10-10-2011   #16
Coach Kevin
Coach Kevin

Rep Power: 75 Coach Kevin is a quality contributor and well respectedCoach Kevin is a quality contributor and well respectedCoach Kevin is a quality contributor and well respectedCoach Kevin is a quality contributor and well respectedCoach Kevin is a quality contributor and well respectedCoach Kevin is a quality contributor and well respectedCoach Kevin is a quality contributor and well respectedCoach Kevin is a quality contributor and well respectedCoach Kevin is a quality contributor and well respectedCoach Kevin is a quality contributor and well respectedCoach Kevin is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hervoyel View Post
I love threads like this. Let's go back and look at this 3-2 start with lower expectations and you'll feel better (and if you don't then see how unreasonable you are!).

Bullshit.

I can only look at it through eyes that have seen the 5 games in question and I know that this team has no excuse for being anything less than 4-1 right now. They could very well be 5-0.
this
Old 10-10-2011   #17
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 297041 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I have more than a hint of apprehension about the Texans because it's impossible to expect the same amount of success from a team that doesn't have their best defensive player going forward and a Top 10 NFL player for the next couple of weeks, not to mention the inexplicable lack of health from the deepest RB corps in the league and our FB that was expected to replace a Pro Bowl FB being out for the year as well.

People can say "injuries are excuses" all the want, but we're not in a position to be one of those "the great teams overcome injuries" teams. Especially when you look at who's missing and what those missing mean to what we do on offense and defense.
Why not? Those teams backups are just backups until they're called on to step up and become more than that aren't they? Who says Brooks Reed can't finish the season with 8-10 sacks? He's a second round draft pick and they step up every year. Why can't this team expect that?

And if we're not in a position to have someone pick up the slack then who's fault is that? That we'd have no one to step in for Andre Johnson was not a given. Very good backups were everywhere this summer. We stood with Jacoby & Kevin. Why can't we expect Graham to step in for Casey? What's he been doing all this time if not preparing for this moment? Why can't we expect Vickers to step up? These guys aren't just scrubs picked up off the street. They're players our coaching staff chose to go with in these roles. Well, it's time to step up and do your part guys.

I don't get it. When the Patriots lose Bledsoe then Brady stands up. When Brady goes down Cassell steps up. We lose Andre Johnson and not one guy out of all the WR's we have can elevate his game for three damn weeks? We lose Mario and it's impossible that Reed might be ready. The NFL is full of guys who got their break before anyone thought they were ready and ran with it.

We have just as much right to hope for, even expect our backups to do something as the next teams fans.
Old 10-10-2011   #18
TheMatrix31
Hall of Fame

We're not the Patriots.

That said, you touch on organizational depth, and that IS a problem. And that IS something you can point to the front office too. Jacoby Jones has no place on a good team's roster, let alone being the #2 wide receiver.

A team that is still learning how to win with its #1's will not have a smooth transition if they're forced to rely on #2's to fill in. Bottom line. If that's leadership's fault, then it is.
Old 10-10-2011   #19
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Rep Power: 72471 Runner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by robroy72 View Post
Given that we played the Colts, Saints and Steelers in the 1st 5 games ... if you were offered a 3-2 start on opening day, would you have taken it?
Against a Colts team without Manning, a strong Saints team, a Steelers team obviously not up their level of years past, and two teams they supposedly "own"? No. Good teams win many more games than they lose. They don't hover around .500.

Even if the Colts and Steelers were as good as last year the Texans should have been 4-1 if they really are contenders. 3-2 is fine if they intend to be "pretty good".
Old 10-10-2011   #20
rmartin65
I'm Score

Rep Power: 64727 rmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respected

No. Weak Colts, weak Steelers, weak Dolphins, the Raiders and the Saints. You need to go 4-1 through that.
rmartin65 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read