Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

View Poll Results: After five games, your expectations have:
Remained the Same - Texans will make the play-offs 34 53.97%
Increased a couple of games - Texans will make the play-offs 0 0%
Decreased a couple of games - Texans will miss the play-offs 24 38.10%
Remained the Same - Texans never had a chance to make the play-offs 5 7.94%
Voters: 63. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-10-2011   #1
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 291737 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss
Default After 5 games, your expectations have

Gone up, gone down, stayed the same?

I'm still pissed, but I saw a team that beat themselves out of a game. Disrespect & everything to the Raiders. They were who we thought they were.

The defense continues to impress me (we have got to do something about that CB#2)...

Offense still baffles me.

It's all about getting hot at the right time. I'm still thinking we make the play-offs, just have no idea how we're going to do it.

Everything I thought I knew... I don't.

What say you?
Old 10-10-2011   #2
Grams 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 28177 Grams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: After 5 games, your expectations have

We always seem to find a way to shoot ourselves in the foot.

The Raiders tried hard to hand that game to us yesterday and we tried harder to not take the W from them.

I am still in the show me first mode.
Old 10-10-2011   #3
TheMatrix31
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 77804 TheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respected

Gone down because Andre Johnson will still miss a couple more games, our incredible RB depth is destroyed for some reason or another, and oh yeah, Mario Williams and James Casey are out for the freakin' year.

It's possible to make the playoffs, but it's not going to be because we're a very great team or anything. It'll be by virtue of being in a bad division and having a softer schedule after Baltimore.
TheMatrix31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011   #4
RTP2110
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 6845 RTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm still in wait and see mode. We won a game that before the season most of us figured we would lose (PIT). We lost a game most figured we would win (OAK). I think 3-2 was the most likely record after 5 games for us. I just wonder how we'd all feel if we lost to the Steelers and beat Oakland.

That being said, injuries have me reeeeeally uneasy.
RTP2110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011   #5
gtexan02
Working?

Rep Power: 72911 gtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respected

The funny thing to me is that I anticipated us being 3-2 at this point in the season with losses to the Saints and the Steelers.

But the way we lost to Oakland has me thinking we're not nearly as good as we thought we were.

Plus the injuries to AJ, Mario, and everyone else
Old 10-10-2011   #6
DexmanC
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 38102 DexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respected

I would've checked option:
"Remained the same - Meh"

I'm still waiting on something different from the previous 5 seasons
to happen. This team still finds flashy ways to lose those
"next step" games. Today would've put them 3 games over .500

They'd have to win AT Baltimore AND AT Tennessee to impress me
at this point in the season.

PS:
We're gonna see how good this defense is without Mario Williams
to gameplan for.
Old 10-10-2011   #7
DexmanC
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 38102 DexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtexan02 View Post
The funny thing to me is that I anticipated us being 3-2 at this point in the season with losses to the Saints and the Steelers.

But the way we lost to Oakland has me thinking we're not nearly as good as we thought we were.

Plus the injuries to AJ, Mario, and everyone else
If any of these injuries are being listed on this board, to justify
Kubiak getting another contract should this trend continue through
YEAR SIX, I got two words for ya:

Detroit Lions
Old 10-10-2011   #8
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 370555 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Unfortunately, after yesterday's lackluster play, I think our fifth annual 5-7 mark is still achievable.

If they make the playoffs, it'll be because the AFC South sucks, not because the Texans dominate and earned it. Sadly, backing into the playoffs will be cause for another Kubiak extension.
Old 10-10-2011   #9
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 57901 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel View Post
Unfortunately, after yesterday's lackluster play, I think our fifth annual 5-7 mark is still achievable.

If they make the playoffs, it'll be because the AFC South sucks, not because the Texans dominate and earned it. Sadly, backing into the playoffs will be cause for another Kubiak extension.
unfortunate but true

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011   #10
Khari
Administrator

Section: Varies
Rep Power: 28871 Khari is a quality contributor and well respectedKhari is a quality contributor and well respectedKhari is a quality contributor and well respectedKhari is a quality contributor and well respectedKhari is a quality contributor and well respectedKhari is a quality contributor and well respectedKhari is a quality contributor and well respectedKhari is a quality contributor and well respectedKhari is a quality contributor and well respectedKhari is a quality contributor and well respectedKhari is a quality contributor and well respected

Decreased...injuries and we should have won that game yesterday..
Old 10-10-2011   #11
cdollaz
Veteran

Rep Power: 6353 cdollaz is a quality contributor and well respectedcdollaz is a quality contributor and well respectedcdollaz is a quality contributor and well respectedcdollaz is a quality contributor and well respectedcdollaz is a quality contributor and well respectedcdollaz is a quality contributor and well respectedcdollaz is a quality contributor and well respectedcdollaz is a quality contributor and well respectedcdollaz is a quality contributor and well respectedcdollaz is a quality contributor and well respectedcdollaz is a quality contributor and well respected

I still expect them to back into the playoffs because we are playing an easy schedule, relative to other possible contenders, and are probably the best team in a really weak division. That said, I really don't consider us anything more than a little above average team at this point. Hopefully they improve over the year, but there is ZERO excuse for losing that game yesterday against that level of team, at home, against that QB. Pathetic.
cdollaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011   #12
SheTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 29598 SheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm stayin the same. I predicted a 10-6 season and I'm stickin with it. Injuries hurt, BUT, if we are a playoff bound team, the rooks etc will have to step it up and do their part to get us there. Football is a team sport and the stronger guys have got to help out the weaker one's, and the newbies need to get on the fast track PRONTO!!. They better pay attention or our year is over before we get to the middle.
SheTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011   #13
TheMatrix31
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 77804 TheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Well, that's where we disagree. I don't give a shit if we "back in", as long as we're in.

The Jets backed in two years in a row by lucking the hell out and they're slobbered on by absolutely everybody as the next greatest team of all-time.

We're not in the position to care about style points or making the playoffs "because we earned it".
TheMatrix31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011   #14
robroy72
Veteran

Rep Power: 6816 robroy72 is a quality contributor and well respectedrobroy72 is a quality contributor and well respectedrobroy72 is a quality contributor and well respectedrobroy72 is a quality contributor and well respectedrobroy72 is a quality contributor and well respectedrobroy72 is a quality contributor and well respectedrobroy72 is a quality contributor and well respectedrobroy72 is a quality contributor and well respectedrobroy72 is a quality contributor and well respectedrobroy72 is a quality contributor and well respectedrobroy72 is a quality contributor and well respected

I actually thought we'd be 3-2 after 5... I thought the Steelers / Raiders results would have been switched. My main confidence came from a feeling we could have a 100% divisional record this year.

Colts W
Raiders W
Miami W

Steelers L
Saints L

Sorry if theres too much common sense and lack of emotion for a Monday after a loss like that!
robroy72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011   #15
Yankee_In_TX
Dance Lindsay!

Rep Power: 10048 Yankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to Yankee_In_TX
Cool Re: After 5 games, your expectations have

Decreased a few games and we will make the playoffs, that is not an option (our division is so God-awful...).
Only fan in Ohio in 2002 :) Glad I moved to Texas!
117 C BullPen
Sigh.
Yankee_In_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011   #16
EVOLVIST
Kid A

Rep Power: 55012 EVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by DexmanC View Post
I would've checked option:
"Remained the same - Meh"

I'm still waiting on something different from the previous 5 seasons
to happen. This team still finds flashy ways to lose those
"next step" games. Today would've put them 3 games over .500

They'd have to win AT Baltimore AND AT Tennessee to impress me
at this point in the season.

PS:
We're gonna see how good this defense is without Mario Williams
to gameplan for.
And the poor man's Clay Matthews is actually the poor man's AJ Hawk. Brooks Reed has showed squat so far.

Yes, the Texans would have to show some True Grit in the next couple of games for the team, the fans, and every lepton and neutrino in the universe to feel good about them.

No, I don't feel the same about the Texans as I did before the start of the season. I don't know what I feel - but it's not the same.
EVOLVIST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011   #17
TexanBacker93
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 18754 TexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respected

Regardless of everything else I still think they back into the playoffs. The Titans won't continue at that level and I think we actually have a good chance to go 5-1 or even 6-0 in the division. With games against Cleveland and Carolina at home and a road games against Cincinnati and Tampa this team should still get to 10 wins.

I actually had us going 4-1 through 5 and then losing at Baltimore. The team now has to go out and win one on the road to make up for a game they shouldn't have lost. This is taking nothing away from the Raiders. That's a good team and might have a chance in the weak AFC west. The Texans were the top seed in the AFC going into the week. They weren't going to run the table and finish that way, but I want to see this team do more than just get in the playoffs. Getting a bye in the first round can get your banged up players some rest and depending on how the other AFC divisional game goes you could find yourself with 2 home playoff games. That's much harder when you get in as a divisional winner with a worse record than wild card teams.

The injuries shouldn't matter. If your team is good enough you can overcome them. The Pats went 10-6 the season they lost Brady for the year. They didn't make the playoffs, but most years that would be good enough.

Teams lose games they shouldn't lose. It happens all the time. The good teams bounce back and win the next few games. This week will determine how good the Texans are. I think they still have a losing mindset and it comes from playing for a loser coach. The talent is there to win. Now they have to prove they can do it.

Just win baby.
TexanBacker93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011   #18
robroy72
Veteran

Rep Power: 6816 robroy72 is a quality contributor and well respectedrobroy72 is a quality contributor and well respectedrobroy72 is a quality contributor and well respectedrobroy72 is a quality contributor and well respectedrobroy72 is a quality contributor and well respectedrobroy72 is a quality contributor and well respectedrobroy72 is a quality contributor and well respectedrobroy72 is a quality contributor and well respectedrobroy72 is a quality contributor and well respectedrobroy72 is a quality contributor and well respectedrobroy72 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by EVOLVIST View Post
And the poor man's Clay Matthews is actually the poor man's AJ Hawk. Brooks Reed has showed squat so far.
He was interviewed on the TV last night; he doesn't come over as having a great deal of confidence. I'm hoping that he'll grow in that regard as he comes more into the team, he seems to have all the attributes.
robroy72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011   #19
hradhak
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 8443 hradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respected

We'll make the playoffs but our chances of going anywhere with the injuries we have just makes me think we'll be 9-7 in a weak division.
hradhak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011   #20
Yankee_In_TX
Dance Lindsay!

Rep Power: 10048 Yankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to Yankee_In_TX
Cool Re: After 5 games, your expectations have

Quote:

Yup - I would rather not make it in than get in and get embarassed. But, maybe we can pull aSeattle?
Only fan in Ohio in 2002 :) Glad I moved to Texas!
117 C BullPen
Sigh.
Yankee_In_TX is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read