Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 10-09-2011   #141
HTown2ATX
TexansMetalhead

Rep Power: 61470 HTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Kubiaks Demise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EVOLVIST View Post
Exactly. The whole reason Kubiak was hired is because McNair had a hard on for those ol' Denver days, thinking that would spill over into Houston. Kubiak came with glowing recommendations. What McNair didn't know, however, was that Shanahan's rough hewn midwestern upbringing in no ways translates over into Kubes' "Ah shucks," mediocrity.

Also, he can tap on a podium pretty well during interviews after a loss. FWIW

Dormant bodies bursting!
HTown2ATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011   #142
silvrhand
Site Contributor

Section: 135J 5-8
Rep Power: 26897 silvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to silvrhand Send a message via MSN to silvrhand Send a message via Yahoo to silvrhand

In response to the new Vance Joseph Hiring:
silvrhand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011   #143
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 81973 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by silvrhand View Post
Love it, where/when did you come up with this idea? We're probably dreaming if we think BoBBy would give up control to a guy like Cowher/Gruden etc....

LOL
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011   #144
Ckw

Quote:
Originally Posted by EVOLVIST View Post
It’s a little bit of both.

Remember, Kubiak served as a backup quarterback in his NFL career as a player, which I believe, in turn, has translated into a backup quarterback mentality as a head coach. It’s this very same oblique mindset that has disallowed Matt Schaub to grow as a mature QB. Instead of full – or even partial – play-call-sharing, instead, Kubiak has installed very little latitude to command the game as Schaub should; hence, a progressive worsening in Schaub’s play, despite working with the same offensive weapons. Audibles are almost nonexistent. The plays are one route reads, with a series of check downs, as opposed to scanning the whole field – and one of the most telling aspects of the Schaub/Kubiak connections happens off the field, as they both share the same demeanor and often use identical verbiage.

In short, not only is Kubiak responsible for retarding the growth of the Texans, as a unit, but also, he has hamstrung his quarterback, by a philosophically inept view of how the game is played today.

“In this league,” Kubiak would have been better off straight up copying Shanahan, instead of mimicking his own shortcomings as a career backup.
That was a stellar post. Very well put. I'm on my phone using tapatalk so I can't rep you but once I am back at my pc, I will try to remember to do so.

Great summary. I was thinking the same thing today when I was watching Schaub, looking at his demeanor, etc. It reminded me so much of Kubiak it made me want to puke. I think that is what had me so pissed at Schaub today. I can't stand having one Kubiak on our team let alone two.

It's really sad that you may be right that rather than truly make Schaub a better QB, Gary has handcuffed him by not allowing him to truly learn to read defenses, audible out of plays, and truly be a field general.
Old 10-09-2011   #145
hradhak
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 7351 hradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by gary View Post
Sorry, but if this is still going on after almost five and half seasons under Kubiak then it is on him. This is his sixth season already.
I'm not giving Kubes a pass. The fact that our offense looked atrocious was all on him. I'm trying to say that Schaub was not completely the problem here, the execution was terrible.
hradhak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011   #146
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 249374 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
Love it, where/when did you come up with this idea? We're probably dreaming if we think BoBBy would give up control to a guy like Cowher/Gruden etc....

LOL
I prefer this one

Old 10-09-2011   #147
silvrhand
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 26897 silvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to silvrhand Send a message via MSN to silvrhand Send a message via Yahoo to silvrhand

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hervoyel View Post
I prefer this one

Nice, was being lazy.. no voice and headache.. was being cheap and lazy +rep for having the time/patience to do that tonight

Sponsored links
Old 10-09-2011   #148
EllisUnit
Serving Koolaid

Section: 2" from the TV, Screaming.
Rep Power: 101315 EllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respected

lets not start with the Coach C talk just yet. This game is not fully kubiaks fault. See how i said FULLY. 4 50+ yard FGs. 2 of them without the raiders even gaining a first down. Vickers Droping a wide open pass that was an easy TD. Matt Schaub playing QB for the raiders and throwing a perfect pass to beat the texans . See its not all on Kubiak but everything else i didnt mention is.
Old 10-09-2011   #149
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by EllisUnit View Post
how big was that miss by rackers ?
Vickers screwed up. Cost us.

Rackers screwed up. Cost us.

Dreessen dropped an easy pass that Kubiak challenged. Cost us.

O-line acted like they had never run blocked before. Cost us.

The two most productive plays for Arian Foster were both, IIRC, the little swing pass to him as he headed out of the backfield and toward sideline. The old "pass play that's like a running play when your running game isn't working" play. Yet we only did that twice, IIRC. THAT cost us.

Jacoby Jones, IMO, is running his routes too deep before making his cut, which means Schaub's passes that look like Schaub is underthrowing and hitting the dirt in from of JJ is more JJ's fault than anything. I have been thinking about it. I sat there in the stadium and thought, "Why is this same scenario--the ball being thrown to JJ too high or too low all the time--continuing to happen so much? Maybe JJ is not running SHARP, CLEAN, ACCURATE routes and Schaub is subsequently throwing it higher than where JJ is at that moment in the route or Schaub is throwing it too shallow. Know what I mean? That sort of stuff cost us today. Multiple times.

Joe Marciano's team not being ready for a fake punt? Cost us.

Putting Danieal Manning all the way up into the box and leaving CBs on an island against big, fast WRs of the Raiders? Cost us. I just sat there and shook my head. Manning is a ball hawk, you get him roaming the secondary and making catches out there.

Outside of Cushing and Johnathan Joseph, nobody on defense did anything consistently GOOD today.

This game was like a fog. I sat there, in the stadium, and just shook my head. My head shaking and my sour mood began in the 2nd quarter when it became apparent that for some reason the Texans were destined to lose this game. I think when Mario went out, the rest of our team's fire and confidence did too. As if "Well, we could survive until AJ gets back...but now that Mario is gone? Eff it. We're screwed."

I had a bad feeling in the 2nd quarter when we would hold them to FG attempts and The Janitor was nailing his long kicks on us. We're SCREWED. All they have to do is FG us to death, and they did. They knew we'd bend and then tighten up near FG range...and they knew all they had to do was just get the oompa loompa in tight silver pants within 60 yards of the posts.

Game over. Raiders game plan > Texans non-game plan.
Old 10-09-2011   #150
EllisUnit
Serving Koolaid

Rep Power: 101315 EllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP View Post
Vickers screwed up. Cost us.

Rackers screwed up. Cost us.

Dreessen dropped an easy pass that Kubiak challenged. Cost us.

O-line acted like they had never run blocked before. Cost us.

The two most productive plays for Arian Foster were both, IIRC, the little swing pass to him as he headed out of the backfield and toward sideline. The old "pass play that's like a running play when your running game isn't working" play. Yet we only did that twice, IIRC. THAT cost us.

Jacoby Jones, IMO, is running his routes too deep before making his cut, which means Schaub's passes that look like Schaub is underthrowing and hitting the dirt in from of JJ is more JJ's fault than anything. I have been thinking about it. I sat there in the stadium and thought, "Why is this same scenario--the ball being thrown to JJ too high or too low all the time--continuing to happen so much? Maybe JJ is not running SHARP, CLEAN, ACCURATE routes and Schaub is subsequently throwing it higher than where JJ is at that moment in the route or Schaub is throwing it too shallow. Know what I mean? That sort of stuff cost us today. Multiple times.

Joe Marciano's team not being ready for a fake punt? Cost us.

Putting Danieal Manning all the way up into the box and leaving CBs on an island against big, fast WRs of the Raiders? Cost us. I just sat there and shook my head. Manning is a ball hawk, you get him roaming the secondary and making catches out there.

Outside of Cushing and Johnathan Joseph, nobody on defense did anything consistently GOOD today.

This game was like a fog. I sat there, in the stadium, and just shook my head. My head shaking and my sour mood began in the 2nd quarter when it became apparent that for some reason the Texans were destined to lose this game. I think when Mario went out, the rest of our team's fire and confidence did too. As if "Well, we could survive until AJ gets back...but now that Mario is gone? Eff it. We're screwed."

I had a bad feeling in the 2nd quarter when we would hold them to FG attempts and The Janitor was nailing his long kicks on us. We're SCREWED. All they have to do is FG us to death, and they did. They knew we'd bend and then tighten up near FG range...and they knew all they had to do was just get the oompa loompa in tight silver pants within 60 yards of the posts.

Game over. Raiders game plan > Texans non-game plan.
haha yeah all this as well
Old 10-09-2011   #151
silvrhand
Site Contributor

Quote:
lets not start with the Coach C talk just yet. This game is not fully kubiaks fault. See how i said FULLY. 4 50+ yard FGs. 2 of them without the raiders even gaining a first down. Vickers Droping a wide open pass that was an easy TD. Matt Schaub playing QB for the raiders and throwing a perfect pass to beat the texans . See its not all on Kubiak but everything else i didnt mention is.
This is Kubiak's team over 6 years now.. even if the players are not performing it's his fault.. he's been able to pick and choose now and had time to figure out where people need to play to get the best from his team..

Sorry, time for Cowher power, it was last year too...

Old 10-09-2011   #152
EllisUnit
Serving Koolaid

Quote:
This is Kubiak's team over 6 years now.. even if the players are not performing it's his fault.. he's been able to pick and choose now and had time to figure out where people need to play to get the best from his team..

Sorry, time for Cowher power, it was last year too...
i can hire the best damn hit man in the world, if he dont deliver is that on me our on him ? I do place some of today's loss on Kubiak but to say he is the main and only reason we lost is a little much. How come you didn't say this after we beat the steelers ? Cause he obviously didnt help us win right. Oh he didnt help us win but he had everything to do with us losing today, ok i got it now
Old 10-09-2011   #153
MojoX
Veteran

Rep Power: 447 MojoX is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoX is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoX is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoX is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoX is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoX is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoX is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoX is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoX is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoX is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP View Post

I am with you here. On a CBS replay of one of those throws the color guy noted that Jones was slow coming out of his break. Instead of a sharp cut, he came out in a long curve which threw off the timing, leaving the pass to hit the dirt wide.

But those too high throws and behind the receiver throws to the other cats are on Schaub. I think that is one thing that separates passers like Manning from the pack: hitting receivers in stride. I like Schaub, but that Vickers drop is, to me, shared between the two. Schaub should know better than to throw a ball like that to a fullback, but since he got his hands on it, Vickers' job is to reel it in.
MojoX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011   #154
cdollaz
Veteran

Rep Power: 5456 cdollaz is a quality contributor and well respectedcdollaz is a quality contributor and well respectedcdollaz is a quality contributor and well respectedcdollaz is a quality contributor and well respectedcdollaz is a quality contributor and well respectedcdollaz is a quality contributor and well respectedcdollaz is a quality contributor and well respectedcdollaz is a quality contributor and well respectedcdollaz is a quality contributor and well respectedcdollaz is a quality contributor and well respectedcdollaz is a quality contributor and well respected

Some of the blame for Vickers' drop is on whoever called the play. If he is known as not having good hands, then they shouldn't have called his number. The coaching staff should be putting players into positions where they can succeed, not fail. I wouldn't put an introvert from my accounting dept. In front of a customer to close a deal or train them. I would not be putting them in a position to be successful. Similarly, this coaching staff should know their players and what they can do. If he is not good at catching the ball, then don't throw to him.
cdollaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011   #155
silvrhand
Site Contributor

Quote:
i can hire the best damn hit man in the world, if he dont deliver is that on me our on him ? I do place some of today's loss on Kubiak but to say he is the main and only reason we lost is a little much. How come you didn't say this after we beat the steelers ? Cause he obviously didnt help us win right. Oh he didnt help us win but he had everything to do with us losing today, ok i got it now
I haven't been a kubiak fan for years now this is nothing new for me. He's a backup quarterback that's a mediocre coach. Sorry don't think he's the right guy to get our franchise where we want it to be.

Old 10-09-2011   #156
EllisUnit
Serving Koolaid

Quote:
I haven't been a kubiak fan for years now this is nothing new for me. He's a backup quarterback that's a mediocre coach. Sorry don't think he's the right guy to get our franchise where we want it to be.
Go back and look at how MANY QBS and COACHES who were terrible that have won super bowls. And why because of defense. They are competent enough to win us a Superbowl, they just arent good enough to do it alone.
Old 10-09-2011   #157
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 234681 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by houstonspartan View Post
In all seriousness, can someone explain to me how Detroit was able to go from 0-16 a few years ago to where they are now, and we're still struggling after more than half a decade of the same staff?

I'm serious. I'm lost here.
& just where the heck are the Detroit Lions?

Media Darlings? Is that what you want?

They were 6-10 last season. 6 & 10...

We don't get credit for beating the Colts or Miami, but we put the Lions on a pedestal because they beat Tampa Bay (3-2), Kansas City (2-3), Minnesota (1-4), & Dallas (2-2)?

I'm not buying it. That's just haterade.

& they damn sure didn't play 4 full quarters against the Cowboys.
Old 10-10-2011   #158
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
haha yeah all this as well
I know, right?

The massive amount of dumbshit things that happened in the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th Quarters of the game completely erased an entire 1st Quarter of football that was spotless by the Texans.

In the 2nd Quarter, and I mean EARLY in the 2nd Quarter, I just knew we were done. My wife was all into the game, and I sat there picking through my soggy nachos and trying to make designs out of the cheese and peppers.

Only Toro using the slingshot to toss t-shirts into the stands made me smile today. Toro is underpaid.
Old 10-10-2011   #159
hot pickle
السلام عليكم

Rep Power: 2074 hot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respected

i think theres a good chance this is kubes last year. and the scary thing is i see mcnair making wade the head coach
hot pickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011   #160
Dan B.
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 63030 Dan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
& just where the heck are the Detroit Lions?

Media Darlings? Is that what you want?

They were 6-10 last season. 6 & 10...

We don't get credit for beating the Colts or Miami, but we put the Lions on a pedestal because they beat Tampa Bay (3-2), Kansas City (2-3), Minnesota (1-4), & Dallas (2-2)?

I'm not buying it. That's just haterade.

& they damn sure didn't play 4 full quarters against the Cowboys.
Tell me you are kidding.

The Lions have looked immeasurably better than the Texans this year.

Especially when it matters.
Dan B. is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read