Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 10-24-2011   #101
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 157572 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc
Default Re: Jacoby Jones is just not a good WR

So I hate to point out any negatives in light of a stellar game, but JJ is still not a good WR. The play that is stuck in my mind from yesterdays game is the first play of the first drive in the 3rd quarter:

Quote:
1-10-HOU 8 (12:34) 8-M.Schaub pass deep middle to 83-K.Walter to HOU 28 for 20 yards (26-J.Babineaux).
Walter catches the ball crossing from the left to the right. Jacoby Jones was running basicaly a fly route on the right side. JJ stopped once Walter caught the ball, and instead of blocking either of two defenders to try and help Walter gain an extra yard or two, he stands there for a second and then jumps backward to clear out of the way.

I know some of y'all have posted pic sequences to illustrate a play. I'd appreciate help in that regard.
Old 10-24-2011   #102
TdotTexas2Step
All Pro

Rep Power: 1975 TdotTexas2Step is a quality contributor and well respectedTdotTexas2Step is a quality contributor and well respectedTdotTexas2Step is a quality contributor and well respectedTdotTexas2Step is a quality contributor and well respectedTdotTexas2Step is a quality contributor and well respectedTdotTexas2Step is a quality contributor and well respectedTdotTexas2Step is a quality contributor and well respectedTdotTexas2Step is a quality contributor and well respectedTdotTexas2Step is a quality contributor and well respectedTdotTexas2Step is a quality contributor and well respectedTdotTexas2Step is a quality contributor and well respected

He's still not a good WR, but he's now had at least two serviceable games for us. That's not saying a lot, but there's still hope in him becoming a legit #3 if he just finds consistency.

If the Mason trade alone results in Jones finding that consistency, then that trade did its job for the long term.
TdotTexas2Step is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011   #103
speedfreek
All Pro

Rep Power: 15013 speedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respected

he's not just "not good". he's horrible.

wasted pick

TJ
speedfreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011   #104
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 144827 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriadoc View Post
So I hate to point out any negatives in light of a stellar game, but JJ is still not a good WR. The play that is stuck in my mind from yesterdays game is the first play of the first drive in the 3rd quarter:

Walter catches the ball crossing from the left to the right. Jacoby Jones was running basicaly a fly route on the right side. JJ stopped once Walter caught the ball, and instead of blocking either of two defenders to try and help Walter gain an extra yard or two, he stands there for a second and then jumps backward to clear out of the way.

I know some of y'all have posted pic sequences to illustrate a play. I'd appreciate help in that regard.
You might PM 76 on that.

Hope is a poor mans disease.
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011   #105
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 157572 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected

Is there a way to pull video from your DVR and post it online? Or make one of those animated gifs with it?
Old 10-25-2011   #106
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 75757 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

I might be wrong, but it looked like he began an attempt at a block but saw it was too late. By no means am I sticking up for JJ. I really thought I saw him make an attempt. The camera showed him talking to Walter afterwards.
Old 10-25-2011   #107
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 153118 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOU-TEX View Post
I might be wrong, but it looked like he began an attempt at a block but saw it was too late. By no means am I sticking up for JJ. I really thought I saw him make an attempt. The camera showed him talking to Walter afterwards.
I saw the same thing, looked like he was thinking about the block in the back rule.

But how often does KDub get YAC? Jj probably thought the play was over as soon as Walter caught the ball.
<--j/k
Old 10-25-2011   #108
Dutchrudder 
COOL BEANS!

Section: Fort Kickass
Rep Power: 150980 Dutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriadoc View Post
Is there a way to pull video from your DVR and post it online? Or make one of those animated gifs with it?
Yes, you need a capture device/card to do so, then you can edit it down with any sort of video tool like Windows Movie Maker or some Apple crap. I may be able to do this on Friday, once I finish upgrading my PC's and get everything in order, but if someone wants to do it before then go right ahead.
Old 10-25-2011   #109
eriadoc
Texan-American

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOU-TEX View Post
I might be wrong, but it looked like he began an attempt at a block but saw it was too late.
I watched it repeatedly. He didn't. He stood there for a second, so maybe he was calculating the pros and cons, LOL. Then he just jumped backward out of the way. He's just not a physical player at all, even for a WR. But if I'm being nice, maybe I'll just upgrade my criticism to he has no instinct for the game.
Old 10-25-2011   #110
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 87576 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TdotTexas2Step View Post
He's still not a good WR, but he's now had at least two serviceable games for us. That's not saying a lot, but there's still hope in him becoming a legit #3 if he just finds consistency.

If the Mason trade alone results in Jones finding that consistency, then that trade did its job for the long term.
Yep, he has another 3 years to look for it.
Old 10-25-2011   #111
disaacks3
Site Contributor

Section: 116 - Row M
Rep Power: 78404 disaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedfreek View Post

wasted pick

TJ
Wasted Third rounder? By what measure?
Old 10-25-2011   #112
eriadoc
Texan-American

Quote:
Originally Posted by disaacks3 View Post
Most of the 3rd round was a waste that year, so I don't really fault the Texans for taking a shot. But most of the other teams have moved on from their '07 3rd round busts, I suspect.
Old 10-25-2011   #113
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 7857 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

This is another reason why I want Andre back so bad. If Jville's CBs can play up on Bolden and Tory Smith, then they can cover Walter and Jones. We need our passing game to be ready for Jville's defense.
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011   #114
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72926 Texecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
How could you honestly say that JJ wasn't a wasted 3rd rounder? Hell, the guy would be a wasted 6th rounder. He hasn't done jack to make the Texans a winner. He has just been an inconsistent pest on this team that the coaching staff and fans keep glimmering at with all of these false hopes as if he's going to turn into some star when he has never shown any consistency to do that. A wasted pick is a wasted pick no matter what round you're in.
Texecutioner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011   #115
thunderkyss 
&amp; so it begins

Rep Power: 153118 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texecutioner View Post
How could you honestly say that JJ wasn't a wasted 3rd rounder? Hell, the guy would be a wasted 6th rounder. He hasn't done jack to make the Texans a winner. He has just been an inconsistent pest on this team that the coaching staff and fans keep glimmering at with all of these false hopes as if he's going to turn into some star when he has never shown any consistency to do that. A wasted pick is a wasted pick no matter what round you're in.
I agree, for the most part.

But sometimes I wonder about our offense. When Matt spreads the ball around, he spreads the ball around & this offense clicks. I doubt JJ will ever be the #1 option so we may never see that "big game" we'd like to.

Oakland was a good opportunity.. didn't happen.

Baltimore, I think he made the best of his opportunity in that game.

But you'll see Joel Dressen Flash, & KDub flash, & James Casey flash... then disappear for a couple of games. I don't think it's because these players are "inconsistent" I think it's because Matt does a pretty good job of spreading it around & going with what the defense gives him.
Old 10-25-2011   #116
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 209608 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedfreek View Post

wasted pick

TJ
Quote:
I can go back an forth on draft picks. With the exception of first round - which should be solid if you've got a decent FO - the rest of them are a crap shoot.

So I can forgive using a 3rd on JJ with his combine stats.

However, I still don't understand re-signing him and letting Leach go to the Ravens. That move tells me what this coaching staff values, which is obviously the 'finesse' game over the power game. You can't give the ball to JJ for a yard up the middle, but you know it's a high percentage when Leach was carrying or blocking up the gut.
Old 10-25-2011   #117
thunderkyss 
&amp; so it begins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel View Post
However, I still don't understand re-signing him and letting Leach go to the Ravens. That move tells me what this coaching staff values, which is obviously the 'finesse' game over the power game. You can't give the ball to JJ for a yard up the middle, but you know it's a high percentage when Leach was carrying or blocking up the gut.
Jameel Cook.

Remember when Kubiak got here & we got Cook from the Buccaneers? Most of us was like, "WTF??" & TexansChick did a couple of reports showing us what a FB like Cook can do in a WCO, then we were like, "Ah.. I see... "

We stumbled on Leech (journeyman) & used him to the best of his ability. But we ran a lot without Leech on the field as well. I think Kubiak wanted to go with James Casey regardless & Vickers was brought in as insurance.

We've got the 5th most potent running attack in the league right now. Without Leech.

We've seen what Thor can do in this offense...

Hands down, no question, that is one situation Smithiak got right.

edit: I realize this has nothing to do with extending Jacoby
Old 10-25-2011   #118
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 209608 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
Jameel Cook.

Remember when Kubiak got here & we got Cook from the Buccaneers? Most of us was like, "WTF??" & TexansChick did a couple of reports showing us what a FB like Cook can do in a WCO, then we were like, "Ah.. I see... "

We stumbled on Leech (journeyman) & used him to the best of his ability. But we ran a lot without Leech on the field as well. I think Kubiak wanted to go with James Casey regardless & Vickers was brought in as insurance.

We've got the 5th most potent running attack in the league right now. Without Leech.

We've seen what Thor can do in this offense...

Hands down, no question, that is one situation Smithiak got right.

edit: I realize this has nothing to do with extending Jacoby
I've read/heard the argument, and I can't argue to a certain extent.

But it's the one yard plays that will really be revealing, especially if this team gets to the playoffs.

One of the local radio hosts mentioned a stat when Leach was in the game blocking (both run & pass), it was a very high percentage that the Texans had positive yard gain. You've also got to factor in the abuse he dished out to opposing LBs, as this certainly has an impact in the fourth quarter.

But, I'm an old school football fan. Power game and defense kinda' stuff. I've seen too many finesse offense teams struggle in the playoffs, when weather become incremental and defenses are better, so I admit my bias toward keeping an old school position like FB at a premium. There is a reason the Ravens snatched him up (forget last night, that was horrible).

I can't argue about Casey, but I'm still not sold on Vickers. Dude has dropped a winning catch and blown too many blocks for sacks at this point for me to give him any love.
Old 10-25-2011   #119
bo orlando
Veteran

Rep Power: 1426 bo orlando is a quality contributor and well respectedbo orlando is a quality contributor and well respectedbo orlando is a quality contributor and well respectedbo orlando is a quality contributor and well respectedbo orlando is a quality contributor and well respectedbo orlando is a quality contributor and well respectedbo orlando is a quality contributor and well respectedbo orlando is a quality contributor and well respectedbo orlando is a quality contributor and well respectedbo orlando is a quality contributor and well respectedbo orlando is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

But it's the one yard plays that will really be revealing, especially if this team gets to the playoffs.

One of the local radio hosts mentioned a stat when Leach was in the game blocking (both run & pass), it was a very high percentage that the Texans had positive yard gain. You've also got to factor in the abuse he dished out to opposing LBs, as this certainly has an impact in the fourth quarter.

But, I'm an old school football fan. Power game and defense kinda' stuff. I've seen too many finesse offense teams struggle in the playoffs, when weather become incremental and defenses are better, so I admit my bias toward keeping an old school position like FB at a premium. There is a reason the Ravens snatched him up (forget last night, that was horrible).

I can't argue about Casey, but I'm still not sold on Vickers. Dude has dropped a winning catch and blown too many blocks for sacks at this point for me to give him any love.
Seemed like Vickers completely screwed up on the failed fourth down run on Sunday. Vickers basically had two guys to block on the far edge and inexplicably chose to block the outside guy, leaving Foster to take an odd angle to get around his block. If Vickers just mashes forward on the inside guy, Foster has an easy cut-back lane and an easy first down.
bo orlando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011   #120
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 165505 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

That's how I feel too. There are points in a season where you absolutely, positively need one yard and everyone in the stadium, including the people in the luxury boxes talking business and not paying attention to the game knows you're gonna run. Failure kills a game winning drive and throws your entire season into jeapordy.

Vonta Leach was made for those plays. He wasn't born, he was forged by the gods to put a bruise on somebody's ass every time he hit them. I just think your team gets collectively weaker from not being in that mans presence every day.

I'd have signed Plaxico in a heartbeat, told Jacoby he could take my very minimal offer to come back and return punts, and signed Leach. That set of moves was entirely possible and affordable. A blind GM could have seen their way to doing that. Best of all worlds right there on the table and all Gary/Rick had to do was get over the inexplicable Jacoby Love they shared.

Not a doubt in my mind that we'd be 5-2 right now had they done that. Possibly even 6-1.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read