Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 10-11-2011   #81
BigBull17
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 4547 BigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Jacoby Jones is just not a good WR

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
I went through and counted 15 targets on Jacoby. I know the official stats say 11, but they must not be counting the batted balls & such that I'm assuming were aimed at Jacoby.

But yes, it seemed as if every time he threw the ball at Jacoby, Matt was getting hit. Most likely because most of them were deep routes & our OL just didn't hold up.

Jacoby kept looking for the PI, because he was getting mugged. But the rule is on a tipped pass, there is no PI. But Jacoby was getting open all day, his the high number of targets.

The fade to the endzone, was probably the only one I think Jacoby could have given more effort, that was one Andre definitely would have "found a way" to get. But Matt got hit on that one, & couldn't get the ball to the pylon.

At the game, I just about always watch our receivers & CBs.... everything else, I can see when I get home & watch the DVR. But Jacoby was getting open all day & I was pissed at Matt for throwing all the ducks at Jacoby.

But when I got home & saw the pressure that Matt had to deal with, I've got much respect for that man.
Oh yeah, the O-line was awful. I thought the gameplan was actually sound. They used their TE's to perfection. I will ***** that when Oakland was packing 10 in the box, the Texans were condensing down and playing right into their hands.
Old 10-11-2011   #82
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 225351 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to infantrycak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny View Post
I watched as much as I could see and what I saw was a wr running sloppy routes, making big rounded cuts when he should have stuck his foot in the ground and made sharp turns. Big sloppy routes with looping rounded edges changes where you are on the field by a few yards....and Schaub sure looked like he was just a few yards "off" most of the day. I don't see that many awful passes when AJ is running routes. I think those are on Jacoby "I'm really only a kick returner" Jones.
Yup. People see a ball in what doesn't look like perfect placement for a receiver and assume the QB made a bad throw when a lot of the time the receiver ran a poor route or did something the QB didn't expect. Breaking two yards too late can easily make a pass look under thrown for example.
Old 10-11-2011   #83
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 209608 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

That spectacular throw and catch between Schaub and Walter showed me that the QB was not out of his game when the receiver was in position.

Jones should never have been put in at no. 1. Dude just can't hang in that role and folded under the pressure of the responsibility.
Old 10-11-2011   #84
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 109004 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel View Post
Jones should never have been put in at no. 1. Dude just can't hang in that role and folded under the pressure of the responsibility.
Take away AJ and you have Kevin Walter, Bryant Johnson (was a street FA a few weeks ago), David Anderson (was a street FA a few weeks ago) and Jacoby Jones. That is one weakass group of WR's.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011   #85
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 209608 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Take away AJ and you have Kevin Walter, Bryant Johnson (was a street FA a few weeks ago), David Anderson (was a street FA a few weeks ago) and Jacoby Jones. That is one weakass group of WR's.
It's pathetic. I'm shocked, I tell ya', just shocked that an alleged 'offensive genius' would field such a weak bunch of receivers.
Old 10-11-2011   #86
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 165505 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Quote:
It's pathetic. I'm shocked, I tell ya', just shocked that an alleged 'offensive genius' would field such a weak bunch of receivers.
Been crying for a while like a lot of people about no legitimate #2 in the bunch. Lot of role players and there's a place for role players but nobody on the other side of the field that has to be accounted for every down or he'll kill ya.

Plaxico could have been that guy. Cheap.
Old 10-11-2011   #87
gtexan02
Working?

Rep Power: 41089 gtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
AND talk about how well they played and how content he is with them
Old 10-11-2011   #88
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 131093 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I watched as much as I could see and what I saw was a wr running sloppy routes, making big rounded cuts when he should have stuck his foot in the ground and made sharp turns. Big sloppy routes with looping rounded edges changes where you are on the field by a few yards....and Schaub sure looked like he was just a few yards "off" most of the day. I don't see that many awful passes when AJ is running routes. I think those are on Jacoby "I'm really only a kick returner" Jones.
During the game, I also noticed the same consistently rounded non-sharp cuts. I commented that this could be very consistent with medial and/or lateral collateral knee ligament injury. During that celebration with AJ, you could see him come down on one leg at a very awkward angle, followed by a distinct unnatural wobbling of his knee from left to right (as opposed to the natural movement of forward to backward).........a classic occurrence for collateral ligament injury. After being limited in practice throughout week 4, he continued to be "limited" both last Wednesday and Thursday with a repeated status of "probable," again due to an "knee" injury. It may not explain all the poor play he demonstrated against the Raiders, but it would definitely significantly contribute to it.
CloakNNNdagger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011   #89
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 109004 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post
During the game, I also noticed the same consistently rounded non-sharp cuts. I commented that this could be very consistent with medial and/or lateral collateral knee ligament injury. During that celebration with AJ, you could see him come down on one leg at a very awkward angle, followed by a distinct unnatural wobbling of his knee from left to right (as opposed to the natural movement of forward to backward).........a classic occurrence for collateral ligament injury. After being limited in practice throughout week 4, he continued to be "limited" both last Wednesday and Thursday with a repeated status of "probable" again due to an "knee" injury. It may not explain all the poor play he demonstrated against the Raiders, but it would definitely significantly contribute to it.
Jones hurt himself earlier during a friggin' punt return if you get a chance to rewatch (on NFL replay tonight btw). Why your starting #1wr is taking punts when your real #1 wr is on the bench and two of your 4 wr's were street FA's a few weeks ago is idiotic. Typical Kubes though.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011   #90
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 153118 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Jones hurt himself earlier during a friggin' punt return if you get a chance to rewatch (on NFL replay tonight btw). Why your starting #1wr is taking punts when your real #1 wr is on the bench and two of your 4 wr's were street FA's a few weeks ago is idiotic. Typical Kubes though.
Well, that's a good question.
Old 10-11-2011   #91
BIG TORO 
TERADACTYL #23

Section: Bull Pen!
Rep Power: 17946 BIG TORO is a quality contributor and well respectedBIG TORO is a quality contributor and well respectedBIG TORO is a quality contributor and well respectedBIG TORO is a quality contributor and well respectedBIG TORO is a quality contributor and well respectedBIG TORO is a quality contributor and well respectedBIG TORO is a quality contributor and well respectedBIG TORO is a quality contributor and well respectedBIG TORO is a quality contributor and well respectedBIG TORO is a quality contributor and well respectedBIG TORO is a quality contributor and well respected

Why are we not looking at this Jacoby:

Touraj "Jacoby" (T. J.) Houshmandzadeh, Jr.

Sig Courtesy of False Start
BIG TORO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011   #92
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 157572 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG TORO View Post
Why are we not looking at this Jacoby:

Touraj "Jacoby" (T. J.) Houshmandzadeh, Jr.
Probably the same reason no other NFL team is looking at him - whatever that reason is.
Old 10-11-2011   #93
J_R
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2074 J_R is a quality contributor and well respectedJ_R is a quality contributor and well respectedJ_R is a quality contributor and well respectedJ_R is a quality contributor and well respectedJ_R is a quality contributor and well respectedJ_R is a quality contributor and well respectedJ_R is a quality contributor and well respectedJ_R is a quality contributor and well respectedJ_R is a quality contributor and well respectedJ_R is a quality contributor and well respectedJ_R is a quality contributor and well respected

San Fran giving him a tryout.
J_R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011   #94
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 165505 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoustonSportsFan09 View Post
Why haven't we seen this guy trying out here? I don't understand. He's one of a relative handful of people who might be able to help us and yet we're not seeing him even come down here to run some routes? You would think just due diligence or something right?
Old 10-11-2011   #95
TejasTom
Get #80 a ring!

Section: Brazos Suite
Rep Power: 32888 TejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norg View Post
WERE is Bryant Johnson ...........?????
Hamstring injury.
TejasTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011   #96
TejasTom
Get #80 a ring!

Section: Brazos Suite
Rep Power: 32888 TejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
David Anderson had returned punts for us before so they can't use that excuse...
TejasTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011   #97
utahmark
markbeth

Rep Power: 8733 utahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
He thinks he can move the ball with less than 1st round talent. He lets the defense have all the good draft picks and free agent money. He figures any fool can install a defense and make it work with enough talent. Only problem was there was not any one on our staff that knew what good talent looked like... until now.

So now we have an offense that is way less talented than most people think and a defense that is just coming together. He put himself into this boat lets see if he can figure out a way to make it work. Should be interesting.
Old 10-11-2011   #98
drunkcookie
2 drunk 2 cook

Rep Power: 4923 drunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
That spectacular throw and catch between Schaub and Walter showed me that the QB was not out of his game when the receiver was in position.

I thought that was a great pass as well...

Josh Innis on 610 yesterday repeatedly stated that Walter bailed Schaub out on that pass..

HUH? If anything Walter made it harder on himself.. not complaining, Walter made a great catch, but that wasn't the only way to skin that cat...

Over the years i've seen that type of throw and catch go for a house call.. Walter could have jumped both up and forward while turning around and it would have hit him in the numbers... He then could have landed on his feet running and try to arm off the tackle...

Like i said, not complaining, just stating how absurd i think it is to say Schaub was bailed out on that pass, it was a damn fine pass...

If only it could make up for the not so damn fine passes we saw... Oh well, we're not done just yet...

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk

...and Hell is coming with them!
drunkcookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011   #99
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 131093 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hervoyel View Post
Why haven't we seen this guy trying out here? I don't understand. He's one of a relative handful of people who might be able to help us and yet we're not seeing him even come down here to run some routes? You would think just due diligence or something right?
Could part of the reason:

Quote:
Houshmandzadeh signed a one-year deal with the Baltimore Ravens on September 6, 2010 for the veteran league minimum of $855,000. However, since his $7 million salary with the Seattle Seahawks was guaranteed in his previous contract, Seattle paid him the remaining $6.15 million for 2010. During his short and disastrous tenure in Baltimore, "Housh" mustered only 30 receptions for 398 yards. He managed to score only 3 touchdowns, although one of them won Week 4 against the Pittsburgh Steelers. In the 2010 Divisional Playoff loss vs. Pittsburgh, Houshmandzadeh dropped a critical pass which would've converted a third down and potentially changed the outcome of the game. That, combined with his constant complaining and general poor play, lead to him not being re-signed. He remains a free agent.
Actually, sounds like Jacoby #1..........sans the complaining.....
Old 10-11-2011   #100
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

From a Baltimore Sun publication last year (reprinted):

Preston: No more complaints from Houshmandzadeh
Quote:
Maybe wide receiver T.J. Houshmandzadeh is going through some growing pains. As a former No. 1 receiver, it's understandable that he is complaining about not getting enough passes thrown to him. Hopefully, this will end as the Ravens passing game develops and quarterback Joe Flacco spreads the ball around a little more. I like Houshmandzadeh, his toughness and what he brings to the table, but the squawking has to end. Derrick Mason can complain because he has been here for years, and has carried the passing offense for a couple of seasons. He's entitled to whine a little, but the Ravens hold the trump card with Houshmandzadeh. They should remind him that they are only paying him the minimum contract for a veteran and that if he continues to complain, they'll cut him once Donte' Stallworth returns. That ought to slow Houshmandzadeh's chatter.
..........it never did.............

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read