Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 10-10-2011   #61
Wolf6151
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 18476 Wolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Jacoby Jones is just not a good WR

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArlingtonTexan View Post
The keep giving chance after chance to guys who you have had plenty of opportunity to evaluate comes from way further up than the head coach.
Travis Johnson, Amobi Okoye, Antwaun Molden, Jacoby Jones, Domonique Barber, Ahman Green, Charles Spencer, and that's just off the top of my head, I'm sure there are more. Anyone notice a pattern here? We give players way to much time to prove they're not worthy of being in the NFL. Kubiak sucks as a talent evaluator.
Wolf6151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011   #62
CretorFrigg
Fire Rick Smith

Rep Power: 23062 CretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf6151 View Post
Travis Johnson, Amobi Okoye, Antwaun Molden, Jacoby Jones, Domonique Barber, Ahman Green, Charles Spencer, and that's just off the top of my head, I'm sure there are more. Anyone notice a pattern here? We give players way to much time to prove they're not worthy of being in the NFL. Kubiak sucks as a talent evaluator.
Freakin' Rick Smith.
Old 10-10-2011   #63
Carr Bombed
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 57907 Carr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Charles Spencer doesn't belong on that list. He's just a player who had his NFL dream taken away from him, because of a devestating leg injury..no need to bag on the guy. It was simply a tough break.

Molden never started and neither does Barber...every team has two bit role players like that on their roster.
Carr Bombed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011   #64
Wolf6151
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 18476 Wolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carr Bombed View Post
Charles Spencer doesn't belong on that list. He's just a player who had his NFL dream taken away from him, because of a devestating leg injury..no need to bag on the guy. It was simply a tough break.

Molden never started and neither does Barber...every team has two bit role players like that on their roster.
I'm not bagging on Spencer but on Kubiaks ability to evaluate talent and the lack there of. I agree Charles Spencer was injured seriously, so why did we pay him for 2 more years on the IR list? He then attempted a pitiful come back once he'd reached approx. 400 lbs.. Remember he and Dunta workingout together? An injury settlement should have been reached instead of continuing to pay him full salary on the IR list. Given way to many chances. Your right Molden never started but he still hung around way to long providing us nothing. Yes every team has 2 bit role players but most don't keep them around as long as we do just to play special teams badly. Special teams is where your low round draft picks and UDFA's play for a couple year and move up or move on.
Wolf6151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011   #65
ESAD2-14
TexanAmerican

Rep Power: 10194 ESAD2-14 is a quality contributor and well respectedESAD2-14 is a quality contributor and well respectedESAD2-14 is a quality contributor and well respectedESAD2-14 is a quality contributor and well respectedESAD2-14 is a quality contributor and well respectedESAD2-14 is a quality contributor and well respectedESAD2-14 is a quality contributor and well respectedESAD2-14 is a quality contributor and well respectedESAD2-14 is a quality contributor and well respectedESAD2-14 is a quality contributor and well respectedESAD2-14 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I'm not bagging on Spencer but on Kubiaks ability to evaluate talent and the lack there of. I agree Charles Spencer was injured seriously, so why did we pay him for 2 more years on the IR list? He then attempted a pitiful come back once he'd reached approx. 400 lbs.. Remember he and Dunta workingout together? An injury settlement should have been reached instead of continuing to pay him full salary on the IR list. Given way to many chances. Your right Molden never started but he still hung around way to long providing us nothing. Yes every team has 2 bit role players but most don't keep them around as long as we do just to play special teams badly. Special teams is where your low round draft picks and UDFA's play for a couple year and move up or move on.
Couldn't say for sure. But that that did take place at the time the Texans had no one at LT. Spencer by all reports was playing beastly at LT, unfortunately Dayne ran up on his leg. Only reason I would suspect why they kept Spencer around was because the pickins' were pretty slim for the Texans at that time; Charles Spencer had shown some promise at a position the Texans desperately needed help. E. Salaam was the other option we had, D. Brown came in a couple of years after. Remember this was when the Texans had what was considered one of the most porous O-lines in the NFL.
Old 10-10-2011   #66
ArlingtonTexan

Rep Power: 61262 ArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel View Post
That thought scares me, because there are only two dudes higher than Gary. And one of them can't be replaced.
and the one who can't be replaced has set a culture where "patience" is rewarded. I mean if Kubiak can keep a job mostly because of patience on the owners part, why would not he extend same sort of thing to Jacoby and others when the owner established a culture where patience is virtue to an almost illogal extent.
Old 10-10-2011   #67
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 153118 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

I'm watching the game again (the first half was actually pretty good)... I'm counting Jacoby's targets.

So far I've counted 9 & of the 9, only two were catchable. Most of them were balls thrown in Jacoby's direction & because Matt was getting pressured.... JJ had no chance.

One of those was with Stanford Routte draped around his waist, Matt threw it out of bounds, as he was getting hit. Jacoby ran a great route, Routte got beat & grabed JJ.

I do like JJ, he's one of my favorite players. But if he wasn't playing well, I have no issues saying so.

I started watching & after three amazing catches by OD, I thought maybe I'm being too lenient. Then I started counting JJ's targets, & it's not funny.

I don't think JJ is where we need him to be.... needs to get a lot better. but this thread is ridiculous.

I'm also one of the guys who wanted Julio Jones..... who thinks we still need to go after a WR early in the draft.
Old 10-10-2011   #68
BigBull17
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 4547 BigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
I'm watching the game again (the first half was actually pretty good)... I'm counting Jacoby's targets.

So far I've counted 9 & of the 9, only two were catchable. Most of them were balls thrown in Jacoby's direction & because Matt was getting pressured.... JJ had no chance.

One of those was with Stanford Routte draped around his waist, Matt threw it out of bounds, as he was getting hit. Jacoby ran a great route, Routte got beat & grabed JJ.

I do like JJ, he's one of my favorite players. But if he wasn't playing well, I have no issues saying so.

I started watching & after three amazing catches by OD, I thought maybe I'm being too lenient. Then I started counting JJ's targets, & it's not funny.

I don't think JJ is where we need him to be.... needs to get a lot better. but this thread is ridiculous.

I'm also one of the guys who wanted Julio Jones..... who thinks we still need to go after a WR early in the draft.
Yeah, I think we need one desperatly. Think the front office made a huge blunder not upgrading the position. JJ needs to be a punt returner and situational WR. Not a knock, but he isn't an every down pass catcher in the NFL. KW is undervalued around here but he should be a slot guy. Big body, great hands, and best blocking WR in the NFL(minus Polomalu play last week). Just don't have a guy outside of 80 that scares you 1 bit.

Matt had some bad throws, not gonna lie, but there were a few passes that JJ just screwed up. There was a slant where the ball went right through his hands. It was a bad missed catch.
Old 10-10-2011   #69
PapaL
Loose Screw

Rep Power: 85740 PapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respected

JJ could make a good DB. Bad hands and near the ball most of the time. I wonder how his form tackling is? Hmmm...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Bills View Post
I can confidently say im smarter, better looking, and more successful than you will ever be.
PapaL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011   #70
leebigeztx
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 23128 leebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via MSN to leebigeztx

Matt threw a lot of uncatchable ball at jacoby. He ran some god routes, got open and matt skipped the ball because his pocket wasn't clean. This also goes back to my gripe about no real #2 wr. When it was apparent edwards wasn't getting a long term deal, the texans should've signed edwards. For 1m and incentives, he would've been great opposite aj and in times like theses, he would be ur #1.
Old 10-10-2011   #71
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 56437 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Does anybody think JJ may have injured his knee worse than originally thought in the end zone celebration?

Not being able to make sharp cuts because of the knee injury could have been the reason he was rounding off his routes.
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011   #72
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 79376 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by PapaL View Post
JJ could make a good DB. Bad hands and near the ball most of the time. I wonder how his form tackling is? Hmmm...
Old 10-10-2011   #73
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 79376 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
Does anybody think JJ may have injured his knee worse than originally thought in the end zone celebration?

Not being able to make sharp cuts because of the knee injury could have been the reason he was rounding off his routes.
No, I totally agree!! His knee injury has a direct affect on his hands turning to bricks!! Its the same thing as the Madussa effect, only different..
Old 10-10-2011   #74
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 153118 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected

The last three to Jacoby were silly. He got mugged on one, but since it was a tipped ball, there was no pass inteference.

The second was also batted down, he had no chance of catching either one.

The last one, he ran a decent route, beat Routte(sp) straight up. Route grabed him blatantly, but since the ball was thrown out of bounds...... because Matt had a few guys in his face, they didn't call it.

That's three targets right there that don't tell the story of Jacoby Jones. 11 targets mean he was doing his job & getting open. The ball just didn't get to him... tipped balls or rushed passes..... I think Kubiak explained it pretty well in his press conference & on his show.

Sometimes there was pressure on the QB & they didn't get the ball to Jacoby. Other times, Matt was clean, but Jacoby wasn't open. We've got to get better as a team, it's not just one player.

If all you did was watch T.V. & repeat what the announcer says, you're doing yourself a great disservice.
Old 10-10-2011   #75
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 56437 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan_Bill View Post
No, I totally agree!! His knee injury has a direct affect on his hands turning to bricks!! Its the same thing as the Madussa effect, only different..
LOL

Ladies and gentlemen that's some funny stuff right there.

Any Madussa refrence deserves a rep.
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011   #76
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Just saw the fade to JJ in the endzone.... pitiful effort by Jacoby.

Not the best thrown ball... Not very good at all, but Matt threw it early because he was getting clobbered by Wade Smith's new domestic partner. The ball was close enough, Jacoby located it early enough he should have made a better play on the ball.

But.... Walter crosses in front of his defender at the Goal line.. clean, would have been a TD. However, like I said, Schaub didn't have time to do anything more than what he did.
Old 10-10-2011   #77
devo-x
Veteran

Rep Power: 269 devo-x is a quality contributor and well respecteddevo-x is a quality contributor and well respecteddevo-x is a quality contributor and well respecteddevo-x is a quality contributor and well respecteddevo-x is a quality contributor and well respecteddevo-x is a quality contributor and well respecteddevo-x is a quality contributor and well respecteddevo-x is a quality contributor and well respecteddevo-x is a quality contributor and well respecteddevo-x is a quality contributor and well respecteddevo-x is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to devo-x

Bryant Johnson starting for JJ next game? I agree JJ should stay at Punt returner and situational WR for right now
Adopt-A-Texan 2009: Kevin Walter and Owen Daniels
devo-x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011   #78
BigBull17
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 4547 BigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by leebigeztx View Post
Matt threw a lot of uncatchable ball at jacoby. He ran some god routes, got open and matt skipped the ball because his pocket wasn't clean. This also goes back to my gripe about no real #2 wr. When it was apparent edwards wasn't getting a long term deal, the texans should've signed edwards. For 1m and incentives, he would've been great opposite aj and in times like theses, he would be ur #1.
I thought about that, but there is no way he threw that many bad passes to JJ. One or two, yeah. I think JJ's routes werent crisp enough with a QB being pressured. Also, a few passes were not right to JJ, but he was close enough that he should have made a grab. He's just not very good.
Old 10-11-2011   #79
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBull17 View Post
I thought about that, but there is no way he threw that many bad passes to JJ. One or two, yeah. I think JJ's routes werent crisp enough with a QB being pressured. Also, a few passes were not right to JJ, but he was close enough that he should have made a grab. He's just not very good.
I went through and counted 15 targets on Jacoby. I know the official stats say 11, but they must not be counting the batted balls & such that I'm assuming were aimed at Jacoby.

But yes, it seemed as if every time he threw the ball at Jacoby, Matt was getting hit. Most likely because most of them were deep routes & our OL just didn't hold up.

Jacoby kept looking for the PI, because he was getting mugged. But the rule is on a tipped pass, there is no PI. But Jacoby was getting open all day, his the high number of targets.

The fade to the endzone, was probably the only one I think Jacoby could have given more effort, that was one Andre definitely would have "found a way" to get. But Matt got hit on that one, & couldn't get the ball to the pylon.

At the game, I just about always watch our receivers & CBs.... everything else, I can see when I get home & watch the DVR. But Jacoby was getting open all day & I was pissed at Matt for throwing all the ducks at Jacoby.

But when I got home & saw the pressure that Matt had to deal with, I've got much respect for that man.
Old 10-11-2011   #80
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 109004 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
At the game, I just about always watch our receivers & CBs.... everything else, I can see when I get home & watch the DVR. But Jacoby was getting open all day & I was pissed at Matt for throwing all the ducks at Jacoby.

But when I got home & saw the pressure that Matt had to deal with, I've got much respect for that man.
I watched as much as I could see and what I saw was a wr running sloppy routes, making big rounded cuts when he should have stuck his foot in the ground and made sharp turns. Big sloppy routes with looping rounded edges changes where you are on the field by a few yards....and Schaub sure looked like he was just a few yards "off" most of the day. I don't see that many awful passes when AJ is running routes. I think those are on Jacoby "I'm really only a kick returner" Jones.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read