Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 10-10-2011   #261
BullNation4Life
Hall of Fame

Section: Living Room 77429
Rep Power: 49664 BullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Super Mario might be out of the season

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalemurphy View Post
I don't think his absence will effect the pass rush very much. However, it is going to hurt our rush defense. If A.Smith and Watt stay healthy and Mitchell can continue to improve, the hits on the QB will keep coming. Reed/Braman don't have to get sacks, they just have to hit that edge and force the QB forward into the pocket. They can do that. Also, Wade will be able to disguise the rush more with a true tweener on the weak side.

Key for the season: OTs stay healthy and AJ comes back very, very soon!

I think the Casey injury is just as big of an issue for the team. Hopefully, he's not gone for the season (no, that doesn't mean I think Casey is better than Mario).
WOW, just wow... I have seen some serious hating in my time, but you sir take the proverbial Hater Cake. Are you freaking kidding me that you honestly think the pass rush will not be effected by Mario's absence? Are you that totally blind and oblivious to how important Mario Williams is to this defense? Oh that's right, you are a stat monger just like allot of the "Arm Chair GMs" Let me explain a little sumptin, sumptin to you...

Now that Mario is out, guess who is going to be the MOST effected person on that line, and if you say Conner Barwin you should be banned from the message boards, that would be Antonio Smith. Why you ask, oh it is very simple, HE will be the one offensive coordinators key on to stop. Smith will be the one double and triple teamed in the trenches. He will become a ghost because Mario is not on the outside reeking havoc, allowing Smith to receive single coverage on the guards. Do you think OCs are game planning for Barwin, or Reed, or even Cody or Mitchell? No they will start to focus on Smith. Smith's job just got a hell of allot harder now that Mario is gone.

See weather you or any other stat monger wants to believe it or not, Mario Williams is a dominate force on the defense. He does allot more on the field than allot of people give him credit for, things that do not show up in the papers, like hitting a QBs arm to cause a INT or flushing out a QB so others can clean up. See I don't see those stats in your or anybody elses blogs. All I see is blinding hate for a kid you has done nothing but improved ever since he was taken in 06. They moved him to another position this year, and he was well on his way to double digit sacks and was absolutely disruptive in the backfield.

Since coming into the league in 06, not counting this year, Mario Williams has had more sacks than Dwight Freeney, same as Julius Peppers, and half a sack off from Mathis. Now of course Freeney and Mathis have greatly benefited from having Manning as the QB and playing from ahead, but the stats still remain, being you are a stat monger...

so to think that anybody else on that defense or on the team would have a more significant impact because of their absence than Mario, not named Matt Schaub or Andre Johnson, is just simply asinine....

Ohhh, uh oh, it's FitzMagic....
BullNation4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011   #262
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 92801 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by DexmanC View Post
Kubiak - SIX SEASONS - BARELY SNIFFING .500

Jim Schwarz - Only TWO SEASONS - Going to 5-0, and beating
the shit out of a top division rival, winning 3 on the road.

Kubiak does NOTHING to merit EXCUSES.
Man it's hard not to be envious of the lions right now.
Old 10-10-2011   #263
Fox
All Pro

Rep Power: 414 Fox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Mario Hurt - Out for Season

No doubt this is a major loss. He was our best pass rusher, good against the run, and moving him around gave opposing QB's one more thing to think about before every snap.

On the other hand, our defense is much better this season than it ever has been in the Kubiak era, and that's thanks to Wade. Seeing as we still have Wade on our sideline, we're still going to pressure the quarterback and play solid defense, with or without Mario. Major suck, yes, panic time, no.

Time to see if Brooks Reed can turn potential into results after being eased in over the past 4 weeks.
Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011   #264
BullNation4Life
Hall of Fame

Section: Living Room 77429
Rep Power: 49664 BullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Kubiak - SIX SEASONS - BARELY SNIFFING .500

Jim Schwarz - Only TWO SEASONS - Going to 5-0, and beating
the shit out of a top division rival, winning 3 on the road.

Kubiak does NOTHING to merit EXCUSES.
and having top 3 picks for what 3 out of the last 5 years has nothing to do with that?

Not excusing Kubiak but comparing him to Schwarz is not the same. The Lions had to absolutely suck for 5-6 years to get where they are now and get those great picks. Texans have just been mediocre....

Now if you want to compare Kubiak to Peyton and Mike McCarthy, both came in when Kubiak did and BOTH have SB rings, then I will totally agree....

Ohhh, uh oh, it's FitzMagic....
BullNation4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011   #265
Titanic_sub
Rookie

I know I originally said that Mario will probably come back the same from this injury, but do any of you think he might not? Dumerville hasn't looked the same since he tore his, he only has 4 tackles this year, after having like 17(?) sacks the year before the injury? Despite being a Titans fan I'm actually a Williams fan as well, I've liked him since you guys drafted him so I just wanted to know what you guys think.
Titanic_sub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011   #266
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 225674 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
Wade deserves the benefit of the doubt. Without an offseason, he has turned this defense around.
I agree. Wade's got this.

Won't save the offense though.
Old 10-10-2011   #267
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 92801 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by BullNation4Life View Post
WOW, just wow... I have seen some serious hating in my time, but you sir take the proverbial Hater Cake. Are you freaking kidding me that you honestly think the pass rush will not be effected by Mario's absence? Are you that totally blind and oblivious to how important Mario Williams is to this defense? Oh that's right, you are a stat monger just like allot of the "Arm Chair GMs" Let me explain a little sumptin, sumptin to you...

Now that Mario is out, guess who is going to be the MOST effected person on that line, and if you say Conner Barwin you should be banned from the message boards, that would be Antonio Smith. Why you ask, oh it is very simple, HE will be the one offensive coordinators key on to stop. Smith will be the one double and triple teamed in the trenches. He will become a ghost because Mario is not on the outside reeking havoc, allowing Smith to receive single coverage on the guards. Do you think OCs are game planning for Barwin, or Reed, or even Cody or Mitchell? No they will start to focus on Smith. Smith's job just got a hell of allot harder now that Mario is gone.

See weather you or any other stat monger wants to believe it or not, Mario Williams is a dominate force on the defense. He does allot more on the field than allot of people give him credit for, things that do not show up in the papers, like hitting a QBs arm to cause a INT or flushing out a QB so others can clean up. See I don't see those stats in your or anybody elses blogs. All I see is blinding hate for a kid you has done nothing but improved ever since he was taken in 06. They moved him to another position this year, and he was well on his way to double digit sacks and was absolutely disruptive in the backfield.

Since coming into the league in 06, not counting this year, Mario Williams has had more sacks than Dwight Freeney, same as Julius Peppers, and half a sack off from Mathis. Now of course Freeney and Mathis have greatly benefited from having Manning as the QB and playing from ahead, but the stats still remain, being you are a stat monger...

so to think that anybody else on that defense or on the team would have a more significant impact because of their absence than Mario, not named Matt Schaub or Andre Johnson, is just simply asinine....
Wow just wow is right. You are in a dreamworld. You talk about Mario like he was Lawrence freaking Taylor and Reggie White all rolled up into one super player. I mean if anyone says anything critical of Mario in the least bit you guys go off like someone just insulted your mother.

I'm just wondering what you all are going to be saying If there is no drop off or the D actually improves without Mario. You'll probably give Mario the credit for being on the sidelines and keeping the team pumped up.
Old 10-11-2011   #268
Lucky

Rep Power: 119828 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Not excusing Kubiak but comparing him to Schwarz is not the same. The Lions had to absolutely suck for 5-6 years to get where they are now and get those great picks. Texans have just been mediocre....
Nope, it really is an excuse. In fact, ladies & gentlemen, a new excuse. The Texans haven't sucked hard enough. Guess those meaningless late season win streaks worked against the Texans (but worked for Kubiak).

I like this one better than the hurricane Ike excuse. More football related. Plus, I can bash Kubiak for winning, as well as losing.
Old 10-11-2011   #269
houstonspartan
Hall of Fame

Section: 324, row N, seats 3 and 4
Rep Power: 21983 houstonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Nope, it really is an excuse. In fact, ladies & gentlemen, a new excuse. The Texans haven't sucked hard enough. Guess those meaningless late season win streaks worked against the Texans (but worked for Kubiak).

I like this one better than the hurricane Ike excuse. More football related. Plus, I can bash Kubiak for winning, as well as losing.
Man, don't get me going on Excuse Number 3,931: Hurricane Ike.

We drove that excuse INTO THE GROUND for about two years.
houstonspartan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011   #270
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 87675 Texecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Man, this one might be the best one we've heard yet Lucky. Lol! We didn't suck bad enough to get all of those top ten picks and the Lions actually gained an advantage. Gotta love the comedy of this board sometimes.
Texecutioner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011   #271
houstonspartan
Hall of Fame

Section: 324, row N, seats 3 and 4
Rep Power: 21983 houstonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texecutioner View Post
Man, this one might be the best one we've heard yet Lucky. Lol! We didn't suck bad enough to get all of those top ten picks and the Lions actually gained an advantage. Gotta love the comedy of this board sometimes.
Tex,

The irony is, as someone who follows the Lions (since I'm from there), they did ZERO with all those great picks. That's why Matt Millen was considered such a massive failure. They had top 10 picks for about a decade, and did nothing with them. Nada. Zilch.

The current Lions are the Houston Oilers legacy continued. Jim Schwartz was taught that big, smash mouth defense is what wins, and that's what he did with free agency and draft picks.
houstonspartan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011   #272
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 194858 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by houstonspartan View Post
Tex,

The irony is, as someone who follows the Lions (since I'm from there), they did ZERO with all those great picks. That's why Matt Millen was considered such a massive failure. They had top 10 picks for about a decade, and did nothing with them. Nada. Zilch.

The current Lions are the Houston Oilers legacy continued. Jim Schwartz was taught that big, smash mouth defense is what wins, and that's what he did with free agency and draft picks.
When he said three of the last five, I thought he was talking about Calvin Johnson, Matthew Stafford, & Ndamakonadffa Suh....

just guessing.
Old 10-11-2011   #273
DexmanC
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 34619 DexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
and having top 3 picks for what 3 out of the last 5 years has nothing to do with that?

Now if you want to compare Kubiak to Peyton and Mike McCarthy, both came in when Kubiak did and BOTH have SB rings, then I will totally agree....
They made the right selections with those picks.
Johnson, Stafford, Suh in CONSECUTIVE DRAFTS.

Having a top pick ain't enough. It's what
you DO with it. No more excuses for Kubiak, please.

Didn't the Texans pass over Patrick Willis, Marshawn Lynch,
Darrelle Revis, Michael Griffin, Dwayne Bowe, Brandon Meriweather,
and Sidney Rice to take Amobi Okoye with the TENTH OVERALL
PICK in 2007? 'Nuff said.

The Texans have playoff level talent RIGHT NOW, and have for MORE THAN
3 SEASONS. It takes a coach to make those ingredients come together to
form a WINNER.

Last edited by DexmanC; 10-11-2011 at 03:07 AM.
DexmanC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011   #274
Dishman
Miss Ya Blue

Rep Power: 7608 Dishman is a quality contributor and well respectedDishman is a quality contributor and well respectedDishman is a quality contributor and well respectedDishman is a quality contributor and well respectedDishman is a quality contributor and well respectedDishman is a quality contributor and well respectedDishman is a quality contributor and well respectedDishman is a quality contributor and well respectedDishman is a quality contributor and well respectedDishman is a quality contributor and well respectedDishman is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

form a WINNER.
A-freakin'-men! There is ZERO room for excuses. Hell, this man right here has been saying this for years, and he's been so right, but some Texans fans couldn't recognize their own hand 6 inches from their face. If we're gonna whine that the Texans were only mediocre enough to secure a top 10 pick, lets remember what they did with it. Gary Kubiak and Rick Smith were only good enough to bring this franchise just a slight tick up from incompetent to mediocre. Some Sundays Gary likes to remind us all had bad things used to be by letting the team fall apart. Oh wait, most Sundays.
Dishman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011   #275
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 166542 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

How many of these "success" qualities do you see in Kubiak the coach?

CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011   #276
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 101383 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Caller on 790....

Mario got hurt because he was playing out of position....

Caller FAIL!
Old 10-11-2011   #277
BigBull17
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 5496 BigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by mussop View Post
This sucks big donkey balls but the mario nutt huggers on here are ridiculous. He was playing the run really well but despite his sack number he wasn't killing it in the pass rush department. And he was not our best or most important defensive player. Does it suck he's hurt? He'll yes! But the hype over this is as overblown as his pass rush skills.

Wonder if we are considering signing what's his name that had a tryout recently. You know the guy the jets cut? Blanking on his name for some reason.
I'm telling you man, this hurts a bit more than you think. I will say at least you didn't post a list of the 45 guys more important. We just agree to disagree. Most of my posts are aimed at Dale, because he is freaking delusional when it comes to this topic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norg View Post
Could u image Mario in a packers Uni or even a steeler !!!!!!!!!! that would be scary
I almost wish it would happen. I bet people would feel warm and fuzzy if Mario was in Green Bay and getting DMVP trophys. We have so many people who refuse to believe that he is a good player.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mussop View Post
Wow just wow is right. You are in a dreamworld. You talk about Mario like he was Lawrence freaking Taylor and Reggie White all rolled up into one super player. I mean if anyone says anything critical of Mario in the least bit you guys go off like someone just insulted your mother.

I'm just wondering what you all are going to be saying If there is no drop off or the D actually improves without Mario. You'll probably give Mario the credit for being on the sidelines and keeping the team pumped up.
If there is no drop off, then I will be the first to say that they should tag him and then traade him. I don't think I will be saying that though. This isn't losing a special teamer or a role player. This is losing one of the teams focal points of the defense. He is a complete package DE/OLB. One of the better pass rushers who is lock down on the run. Reed is...not ready.
Old 10-11-2011   #278
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 68813 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

form a WINNER.
Gotta agree with that. It's an "OUCH!!!"er and I was just screaming for Revis at the time.

HJam72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011   #279
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 101383 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

15 teams passed on Jerry Rice.

Every team passed on John Randle, Warren Moon, Jeff Saturday, Nate Newton, Tony Romo, Priest Holmes, Antonio Gates, Cliff Harris, and "Night Train" Lane.
Old 10-11-2011   #280
Grams 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 23440 Grams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan_Bill View Post

15 teams passed on Jerry Rice.

Every team passed on John Randle, Warren Moon, Jeff Saturday, Nate Newton, Tony Romo, Priest Holmes, Antonio Gates, Cliff Harris, and "Night Train" Lane.
I think every team passed on Joe Montana and Tom Brady - several times.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read