Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 10-10-2011   #181
Ryan
THIS YEAR

Section: Section 135, Row F
Rep Power: 11679 Ryan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to Ryan
Default Re: Mario Hurt - Out for Season

Quote:
Originally Posted by bckey View Post
Resigning Mario will also depend on what coaching staff is here.

Who would not want Mario on their team in some way? We bag on him alot on here for some reason but every opposing team's message boards and fans think of him as a shoe-in All Pro and just a dominant force, and that's the way the media thinks of him as well.
Old 10-10-2011   #182
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Section: Bullpen/ 636
Rep Power: 31584 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Super Mario might be out of the season

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0ng View Post
Would love to hear the 10 names you are thinking of.
Names of players that would have a bigger impact on the Texans' season this year:

Andre Johnson
Duane Brown
Eric Winston
Chris Myers
Matt Schaub
Antonio Smith
Brian Cushing
Johnathan Joseph
Arian Foster
Connor Barwin

others that may have a bigger impact:

James Casey
Wade Smith
J.J. Watt
Demeco Ryans

The list is not a list of "better" players but it takes into account the importance of the position, who the backup is, etc... I'm not a huge Eric Winston fan, but if he gets injured, the ramifications of D. Newton starting at RT would be much greater than missing out on Mario's production.

Barwin may not be a better pass rusher (yet), but his skill set and ability to drop into coverage and speed rush is an essential part of the defense, IMO.

If you notice, I don't include other very good and valuable people on the list: Owen Daniels, Ben Tate, Glover Quin, Daniel Manning... because I think the Texans can adapt reasonably well to those losses unless they are compounded by others at the same position.
Old 10-10-2011   #183
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 31584 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
Who would not want Mario on their team in some way? We bag on him alot on here for some reason but every opposing team's message boards and fans think of him as a shoe-in All Pro and just a dominant force, and that's the way the media thinks of him as well.
How many consecutive probowls did safety Roy Williams go to? 5 or 6? How many players would argue that Michael Vick is a better QB than Drew Brees? Popularity doesn't make something true.

That being said, since we have paid for Mario this year, I certainly regret the injury and wish he could be on the field for us. Since it is way too late to wipe out the cap hit and replace him (this year) with three very good players in free agency, I wish he could be on the field. We're better with him than without him.
Old 10-10-2011   #184
JVL713
Rookie

Rep Power: 0 JVL713 is a quality contributor and well respectedJVL713 is a quality contributor and well respectedJVL713 is a quality contributor and well respectedJVL713 is a quality contributor and well respectedJVL713 is a quality contributor and well respectedJVL713 is a quality contributor and well respectedJVL713 is a quality contributor and well respectedJVL713 is a quality contributor and well respectedJVL713 is a quality contributor and well respectedJVL713 is a quality contributor and well respectedJVL713 is a quality contributor and well respected

@DerrickWard32
Derrick Ward
Oh yea. To all my Texan fans I'm BACK!!!!

forgot how to make it look nice, but he tweeted that an hour ago. Don't know how good of shape he will be in though after having to stay off the ankle
JVL713 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011   #185
JVL713
Rookie

Rep Power: 0 JVL713 is a quality contributor and well respectedJVL713 is a quality contributor and well respectedJVL713 is a quality contributor and well respectedJVL713 is a quality contributor and well respectedJVL713 is a quality contributor and well respectedJVL713 is a quality contributor and well respectedJVL713 is a quality contributor and well respectedJVL713 is a quality contributor and well respectedJVL713 is a quality contributor and well respectedJVL713 is a quality contributor and well respectedJVL713 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexCanada View Post
Yup, this sucks. We are now looking at a season without Mario, Casey, and likely a less then 100% Andre. Add that to Butler's injury and we are looking incredibly thin at all positions on this team. Hopefully Ward and Tate aren't out too much longer.
didnt include this in last post
JVL713 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011   #186
BigBull17
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 4547 BigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalemurphy View Post
Names of players that would have a bigger impact on the Texans' season this year:

Andre Johnson
Duane Brown
Eric Winston
Chris Myers
Matt Schaub
Antonio Smith
Brian Cushing
Johnathan Joseph
Arian Foster
Connor Barwin

James Casey
Wade Smith
J.J. Watt
Demeco Ryans

The list is not a list of "better" players but it takes into account the importance of the position, who the backup is, etc... I'm not a huge Eric Winston fan, but if he gets injured, the ramifications of D. Newton starting at RT would be much greater than missing out on Mario's production.

Barwin may not be a better pass rusher (yet), but his skill set and ability to drop into coverage and speed rush is an essential part of the defense, IMO.

If you notice, I don't include other very good and valuable people on the list: Owen Daniels, Ben Tate, Glover Quin, Daniel Manning... because I think the Texans can adapt reasonably well to those losses unless they are compounded by others at the same position.
Why stop there? Sure there is an equipment manager who would hurt us more to lose. David Anderson should ave made your list. You do you realize that you are basically a joke now right? Any good thought you have is lost due to your idiotic, blind Mario hate. People throw the word hater around alot, but you are. Did he steal your lunch money? At least other people make well thought out intellectual arguments for or against him.
Old 10-10-2011   #187
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 165505 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carr Bombed View Post
Where's all the great options behind Kenny Britt? They have faired no better with their WR depth than we have. In fact they have been worse. Their leading receiver yesterday only had 69 yards (Their leading receiver in the previous game only had 62 yards and that was even with a 57 yard reception) and since Britt went out Matt Hasslebeck has completed less than 60% of his passes and hasn't thrown for more than 262 yards... Schaub threw for 416 yards yesterday and that's WITH 7 batted passes.
Their entire offense isn't based on having Kenny Britt, at least not yet. Might be in a few years if he continues to pan out the way he's started. Right now they're about defense and running the football. Our offense apparently falls apart without Andre Johnson on the field.

Matt's 417 yards doesn't inspire much confidence in me since we only managed two touchdowns in EIGHT FIRST HALF POSSESSIONS.

Seven more chances in the second half netted us exactly 6 points. The stats are nice but the "W" wasn't to be had. 400 yards passing is meaningless when your defense gives you that many chances and you blow most of them.
Old 10-10-2011   #188
Allstar
Bona fide

Rep Power: 16898 Allstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respected

Honestly, all these injuries suck but we are fortunate to have some depth this year. It paid off to run 4 deep at RB, we drafted Brooks Reed in the 2nd and signed Vickers to back up Casey. If only we signed a competent #2 receiver....
Allstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011   #189
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 153118 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Eric Winston

I'm not a huge Eric Winston fan, but if he gets injured, the ramifications of D. Newton starting at RT would be much greater than missing out on Mario's production.
Not to argue your point, but man did he have a bad game or what?

He was getting absolutely bullied. I know they all were, but I didn't ever expect to see Winston thrown back like that, so consistently, in the run game.

The run game...
Old 10-10-2011   #190
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBull17 View Post
Why stop there? Sure there is an equipment manager who would hurt us more to lose. David Anderson should ave made your list. You do you realize that you are basically a joke now right? Any good thought you have is lost due to your idiotic, blind Mario hate. People throw the word hater around alot, but you are. Did he steal your lunch money? At least other people make well thought out intellectual arguments for or against him.
Why is that list crazy? Can't you disagree with it and understand the logic? The NFL isn't Madden football. A lot of variables go into the loss of a player. Of those 10 players I listed, I can't believe anyone would be considered unreasonable with the exception of Connor Barwin. What am I missing?
Old 10-10-2011   #191
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
Not to argue your point, but man did he have a bad game or what?

He was getting absolutely bullied. I know they all were, but I didn't ever expect to see Winston thrown back like that, so consistently, in the run game.

The run game...
The line was brutal! Winston, Smith, and Myers all had particularly poor games, I thought. I'm not sure why. That being said, it never occurred to me to let Newton play and see if he could do any better.
Old 10-10-2011   #192
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hervoyel View Post
Their entire offense isn't based on having Kenny Britt, at least not yet. Might be in a few years if he continues to pan out the way he's started. Right now they're about defense and running the football. Our offense apparently falls apart without Andre Johnson on the field.

Matt's 417 yards doesn't inspire much confidence in me since we only managed two touchdowns in EIGHT FIRST HALF POSSESSIONS.

Seven more chances in the second half netted us exactly 6 points. The stats are nice but the "W" wasn't to be had. 400 yards passing is meaningless when your defense gives you that many chances and you blow most of them.
Despite it being Matt's best fantasy performance of the year, he looked pretty bad. I wish I knew how much of it was related to poor route running by Jacoby. I also wish I knew what was going on with those 7 pass deflections. Good grief!

You are right. We have to have AJ in there unless/until we get a legitimate deep threat to back him up. Jacoby just isn't the guy.
Old 10-10-2011   #193
BigBull17
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 4547 BigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Why is that list crazy? Can't you disagree with it and understand the logic? The NFL isn't Madden football. A lot of variables go into the loss of a player. Of those 10 players I listed, I can't believe anyone would be considered unreasonable with the exception of Connor Barwin. What am I missing?
Did you watch yesterday? The defense played ok, but they didn't look the same once Mario went out. I love smith, but he was damn near invisible when Oakland could focus on him. Mario is one of the corner stones on our team, I don't any logical person could argue that. Schaub, AJ, Dwayne Brown, J-Jo, then Mario. That's how it goes.
Old 10-10-2011   #194
LikeMike
All Pro

Rep Power: 9210 LikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Andre Johnson - True
Duane Brown - meh, if Butler wasn`t hurt it wouldn`t even be close
Eric Winston - no way
Chris Myers - no way
Matt Schaub - True
Antonio Smith - no way
Brian Cushing - no way
Johnathan Joseph - IŽd say true since the other corners are hardly #2 material
Arian Foster - no way with Tate and Ward healthy
Connor Barwin - you are kidding, right?

James Casey - you are kidding right?
Wade Smith - no way
J.J. Watt - no way
Demeco Ryans - no way
A Schaub injury would hurt this team most - other than that I give you AJ and Joseph, most of all because of the lack of talent at their position. Duane Brown is close since Butler is hurt. But other than that he was our most important player on the team - he was a beast all season, our pass rusher will be missing more than a beat without him. And that means:

- more work for the DBs, so weaker DB play
- hard time in run defense, since no other OLB is even close to Marios level in this department, and the team will have to help out for passing plays

We might still make the playoffs, sure - the Titans are the only real threat. But no way are we going anywhere in the playoffs.

This injury sucks!
LikeMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011   #195
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by LikeMike View Post
A Schaub injury would hurt this team most - other than that I give you AJ and Joseph, most of all because of the lack of talent at their position. Duane Brown is close since Butler is hurt. But other than that he was our most important player on the team - he was a beast all season, our pass rusher will be missing more than a beat without him. And that means:

- more work for the DBs, so weaker DB play
- hard time in run defense, since no other OLB is even close to Marios level in this department, and the team will have to help out for passing plays

We might still make the playoffs, sure - the Titans are the only real threat. But no way are we going anywhere in the playoffs.

This injury sucks!

It does suck. Still, I'm hopeful that the defense can still play well without him. We will see.
Old 10-10-2011   #196
welsh texan
Lest we forget

Rep Power: 22601 welsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respected

I'd actually say there's a case to argue that Mario runs AJ pretty close in terms of the effect of him being out. All I've focussed on the last few weeks is Mario's effect on the rest of the D.

When you see the likes of Barwin, Watt, Smith all getting great pressure, Ryans & Cushing free to roam in the centre, hell, even Cody has been getting pressure!

Then you look at the DB's, you think JJo gets away with his gambler mentality time and again if the QB isn't too concerned about the pain thats coming his way the whole time? Let alone the #2 CB spot.

I'm scared right now. Real scared.

Andre has a similar effect on the O but I'd say it isn't quite the same, Arian was 'shut down' according to the announcers yesterday yet still got ~80 yards on the ground AND went off in the passing game. Thats on a day when the O-line didn't click!
welsh texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011   #197
Carr Bombed
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 57907 Carr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hervoyel View Post

The Tenn titans were ran that way with Fisher...he's not there anymore. Kenny Britt was the Titans best player on the team this year and with Matt Hasselbeck they were starting to sling the ball around. Believe it or not, but Hasselbeck was actually off to the best start in his entire career and was on pace to set new career highs in just about every statistical category. I don't know if anybody has paid any attention to Britt since about the middle of last season, but he has become a force and is one hell of a up and coming receiver...he just can't stay healthy. He is their best offensive weapon though.

Sorry, but nobody is going to convince me that losing Andre Johnson for 3 games is worse than losing Kenny Britt for the entire season, because it simply isn't true. The Titans lack even more depth at receiver than we do without him...and Chris Johnson has been a big steaming pile this season. At least with Britt, they had someone to pull defenders out of the box for Johnson. That injury to Britt was devastating to them and most likely mortally wounded their team's chances at success this year.
Carr Bombed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011   #198
Carr Bombed
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 57907 Carr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by welsh Texan View Post
I'd actually say there's a case to argue that Mario runs AJ pretty close in terms of the effect of him being out. All I've focused on the last few weeks is Mario's effect on the rest of the D.

When you see the likes of Barwin, Watt, Smith all getting great pressure, Ryans & Cushing free to roam in the centre, hell, even Cody has been getting pressure!

Then you look at the DB's, you think JJo gets away with his gambler mentality time and again if the QB isn't too concerned about the pain thats coming his way the whole time? Let alone the #2 CB spot.

I'm scared right now. Real scared.

Andre has a similar effect on the O but I'd say it isn't quite the same, Arian was 'shut down' according to the announcers yesterday yet still got ~80 yards on the ground AND went off in the passing game. Thats on a day when the O-line didn't click!
Oh god, not this stuff again. Mario Williams is a great player, but he isn't and hasn't been the be all/end all of our defensive pressure this season (if this was year's past I'd agree with you) and he wasn't the only reason why other players were producing. Believe it or not...even when he went out of the game we were still able to pressure Jason Campbell. Andre Johnson is hands down more important to this team than Mario Williams and if He went out for the season you might as well stick a fork in it. We can survive him missing a few games, if he goes on I.R... we're done.
Carr Bombed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011   #199
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 88339 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Trying to keep up with thread that has gotten away from injury status. Links that I have not seen posted. Other similar but all qouting McClain's report from hours ago. Nothing more recent.

http://www.ibtimes.com/articles/2283...the-season.htm
Old 10-10-2011   #200
DX-TEX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 61034 DX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

The pressure now is ALL on Brookes Reed. Can the guy play? Can Wade motivate him to be a destroyer of QB's? He is going to be scrutinized like no other rookie in our history has been.
DX-TEX is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read