Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Mario Hurt - Out for Season

jtexas

Waterboy
Mario Williams will have surgery on his torn pectoral this week, ending his season.
Walked off to the locker room in 1st quarter

Because I know there will be questions about the implications of his injury, this will give you some information as we await more information.

The pectoralis (pec) muscles are large muscles located on each side of the chest. Their primary job is help the shoulders and arms move and lift. When you perform a push-up or chest fly, you are activating the pecs. Because they are among the strongest muscles in the body, they are less likely to be strained (pulled), but it can happen.

Grade 1 strains involve a few torn muscle or tendon fibers. Loss of strength is minimal, and recovery quite manageable.

Grade 2 strains involve more torn fibers, some loss of strength, and a longer rehab period.

Grade 3 pectoralis strains are rare, painful, debilitating, and can have long-term effects on strength, power, range of motion, and sports performance. In most cases, the muscle will never regain it original strength.

Grade 1 recovery takes a matter of days. You can return to training when the symptoms have disappeared.

Grade 2 recovery is a matter of weeks—approximately 2-6.

Grade 3 complete tears usually require surgery; full recovery takes months.

EDIT:MODS PLEASE MERGE......while writing, another thread already begun

Last edited:
I wondered what was wrong, he was walking fine. We need updates! I'm worried about Brooks Reed's ability to stay at home on the edge against McFadden

I wondered what was wrong, he was walking fine. We need updates! I'm worried about Brooks Reed's ability to stay at home on the edge against McFadden

Looked like a bicep or shoulder injury to me. I think it happened on the sack he was credited with.

pectoral injury doesnt look like he will return announcer on the tv just stated this...

Ugh! Anybody got a quess as to how long? Any chance of this being a season long deal?

Edit: answered my own question. A torn pec will shut MW down for the rest of the year.

Because I know there will be questions about the implications of his injury, this will give you some information as we await more information.

The pectoralis (pec) muscles are large muscles located on each side of the chest. Their primary job is help the shoulders and arms move and lift. When you perform a push-up or chest fly, you are activating the pecs. Because they are among the strongest muscles in the body, they are less likely to be strained (pulled), but it can happen.

Grade 1 strains involve a few torn muscle or tendon fibers. Loss of strength is minimal, and recovery quite manageable.

Grade 2 strains involve more torn fibers, some loss of strength, and a longer rehab period.

Grade 3 pectoralis strains are rare, painful, debilitating, and can have long-term effects on strength, power, range of motion, and sports performance. In most cases, the muscle will never regain it original strength.

Grade 1 recovery takes a matter of days. You can return to training when the symptoms have disappeared.

Grade 2 recovery is a matter of weeks-approximately 2-6.

I think she is speculating its torn. Torn will end the season.

As gtexan02 mentioned, "torn" depends on grade of injury..........ALL STRAINS are TEARS. The GRADE refers to the SEVERITY.

I accidentally started another thread on this injury, which I've asked the MODS to merge. It may answer some questions out there about this type of injury.

Thanks for the info.

As GTexan02 mentioned, "torn" depends on grade of injury..........ALL STRAINS are TEARS. The GRADE refers to the SEVERITY.

I accidentally started another thread on this injury, which I've asked the MODS to merge. It may answer some questions out there about this type of injury.

I combined them the ghetto way. :texanbill:

Is there any way to determine what type it was based on his reaction? He walked off on his own didn't seem to grimace?

He was playing good. This sucks.

That TD had more to do w the 15 yard cushions #30 was giving.

Mario makes a difference in the game, even if it just mental on the opposing team...but as athletically gifted as he is; can he justifiably be labeled injury prone? This is no get rid of him post, as I am a big fan of his.

Is there any way to determine what type it was based on his reaction? He walked off on his own didn't seem to grimace?

During his attempt to tackle, it appears that his left arm was pulled away from his chest. This means that his pectoralis major muscle was in full contraction against heavy resistance..........and the leverage was from closer to the forearm, creating that much more resistance to pectoralis contraction........a perfect set up for strain/tear of that muscle. I've seen complete tears where a patient showed only minimal outward signs of pain. It is not like a lower extremity injury that you can better judge by the patient's response/altered gait.

During his attempt to tackle, it appears that his left arm was pulled away from his chest. This means that his pectoralis major muscle was in full contraction against heavy resistance..........and the leverage was from closer to the forearm, creating that much more resistance to pectoralis contraction........a perfect set up for strain/tear of that muscle. I've seen complete tears where a patient showed only minimal outward signs of pain. It is not like a lower extremity injury that you can better judge by the patient's response/altered gait.
Looks like Reed has some big shoes to fill now, eh?

Pectoralis major tears can also be classified by type:

type 1: rupture at humeral insertion (tendon ruptured from the bone)

type 2: rupture of musculotendinous junction (rupture in between tendon and muscle),

type 3: rupture of muscle belly (rupture in the muscle itself).

The type 2 and 3 are typically partial, and type 1 complete.

If out for season, Texans must decide to re-sign him based on performance for 4 games. I anticipate a few Mario posts over next several weeks that roil the fan base.

If out for season, Texans must decide to re-sign him based on performance for 4 games. I anticipate a few Mario posts over next several weeks that roil the fan base.

he wont be out for long, he looked fine on the side line i doubt its anything serious. but hey man where was A. Smith today, i didnt see his our anyones dominance once Williams went out, so what happened ?

he wont be out for long, he looked fine on the side line i doubt its anything serious. but hey man where was A. Smith today, i didnt see his our anyones dominance once Williams went out, so what happened ?

Well its just not necessary to double team Reed. Smith didn't have as much room to operate as he normally would with Mario out.

Well its just not necessary to double team Reed. Smith didn't have as much room to operate as he normally would with Mario out.

i know this but bad boy thinks that smith is more dominant that williams, and he says that M.W has no affect on the way smith plays, that why i was asking badboy that !

I hope so too. But you are not going to be able to determine the extent of a pectoral injury by his demeanor on the sideline.

We still got good pressure even after MW went out, but this is a serious blow.
I'm hoping they kept him out as a precaution till they get the MRI.

This is what Elvis Dumervil had last year that kept him out for the whole season.

A subtotal tear, a grade 2 that is almost a grade 3 (meaning torn through most of the tendon or muscle) can still keep a player out for 3-4 months (This is as opposed to an average of 8.5 months for a complete tear).

Dumervil had a bad near complete but not a complete tear.

The guys on the NBC pregame show said Mario would be out "a couple months to the entire season"... So that sounds like a severe tear to me. I know they're most likely speculating but that's all we can at this point.

The guys on the NBC pregame show said Mario would be out "a couple months to the entire season"... So that sounds like a severe tear to me. I know they're most likely speculating but that's all we can at this point.

well i dont see how he would know they didnt confirm anything, and he was standing on the sidelines joking the whole time. i think the guy is talking out of his ass.

Yeah, they just said possibly a tear, MRI tomorrow.

I think thats funny.....a severe injury and they wait till TOMORROW? Dont we have like Medical Center and have at least one MRI place open?

I'm fascinated by that, too. A multi-gazillion dollar organization and we can't get an MRI for one of our gems on their one working day of the week?

SI's Peter King reported on Football Night in America Sunday that Mario Williams "probably" tore his pectoral muscle in the Texans' Week 5 loss to the Raiders.
He'll have a Monday MRI.

Back