Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 04-24-2005   #1
hle0871
waterboy

Thumbs up Vernand Morency

I am an OSU/Texan Fan and I'd like to say to Vernand Morrency, Welcome To Houston!!!!!
hle0871 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2005   #2
keyfro
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14 keyfro was voted MVPkeyfro was voted MVPkeyfro was voted MVP
Send a message via AIM to keyfro

morency is the prototype zone rushing runningback...he cuts extremely well...he's a little bigger than DD and doesn't have the injury problems...can't wait to see how he does in a texan's uni
Old 04-24-2005   #3
ComstockLode
Veteran

Too bad he is already 25 years old
ComstockLode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2005   #4
Trapped
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComstockLode
Too bad he is already 25 years old
yeah, he was signed to an MLB team for 3 years, then played 3 yrs of college football.
Trapped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2005   #5
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Section: Channel 700-ish on NFL Sunday Ticket
Rep Power: 59723 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected

I like it. Why get a change of pace back when DD does pretty dang good when not injured? I think we can say bye-bye to Mr. Wells. He's been a disappointment since we drafted him. Hope they keep Hollings, though. He will be productive behind our improved line this year.
Old 04-25-2005   #6
rhc564
Veteran

Default ...excuse me

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBar
I like it. Why get a change of pace back when DD does pretty dang good when not injured? I think we can say bye-bye to Mr. Wells. He's been a disappointment since we drafted him. Hope they keep Hollings, though. He will be productive behind our improved line this year.
...' a disappointment since we drafted him'
...' Hope they keep Hollings'
...' when not injured'

to follow your logic of thinking, bet the Texans win more games this
year if they out score the opponent...
rhc564 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2005   #7
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected

I got to see him on TV last fall in OState's season opener against UCLA when
he ran for over 200 yards (actually I think it was arond 250 yards) ! I dunno.... reminded me a little bit of Cedric Benson.
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 04-25-2005   #8
STEEL BLUE TEXANS
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10214 STEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respected

Vernand Morency = Kevin Jones
STEEL BLUE TEXANS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2005   #9
houtexan08

Default Morency

I loved the Morency pick as I think it gives us more breakaway-type depth behind an often injured DD.Hollings seemed to fall out of favor last yr w/Capers and Wells did very well but he cant break the big one.While Morency isnt really a speed back-compared to our primary back-up(Wells) his speed is an improvement to our depth.
Old 04-25-2005   #10
O.G.
Veteran

Send a message via AIM to O.G. Send a message via Yahoo to O.G.

Quote:
Originally Posted by houtexan08
I loved the Morency pick as I think it gives us more breakaway-type depth behind an often injured DD.Hollings seemed to fall out of favor last yr w/Capers and Wells did very well but he cant break the big one.While Morency isnt really a speed back-compared to our primary back-up(Wells) his speed is an improvement to our depth.
They say he plays faster than the 4.66 40 time he displayed and he has been clocked at 4.47 at one of the pro day's I believe. Plus he has a second gear as well. The footage I saw, when he broke he was gone. I know he won't outrun DB in the NFL, but hey neither will majority of the backs in the NFL.
Old 04-25-2005   #11
TheOgre
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 17 TheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVP

I saw him slice and dice Texas for one half. They took a 35-7 lead based on some nice runs by him. He showed some speed in that game. He disappeared in the second half, though, and we came back and won the game.

I remember he was in a goalline situation against Tech and couldn't convert.

I like Morresy but I don't think he is a good complement to DD. I think his running style is too similar. I would have preferred a power back.
TheOgre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2005   #12
Errant Hothy
Hypermediocrity

Rep Power: 28016 Errant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by O.G.
They say he plays faster than the 4.66 40 time he displayed and he has been clocked at 4.47 at one of the pro day's I believe. Plus he has a second gear as well. The footage I saw, when he broke he was gone. I know he won't outrun DB in the NFL, but hey neither will majority of the backs in the NFL.
Morrency had a hammy issue at the combine; that's what lead to the slow speed. As for his game speed, I remember when OSU was playing UT and Morrency took a toss toteh outside, got the corner, turned upfield, acclerated and left one Derick Johnson looking at his back. He's faster then DD< no doubt about it.

I don't think his age is the downside some are making it out to be. Yes he's 25, but he has fewer, several hundred fewer I believe, carries then Benson. I think RBs are like catchers; it's not really the years, it's the carries (or the games caught for catchers).
Errant Hothy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2005   #13
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 276022 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by keyfro
morency is the prototype zone rushing runningback...he cuts extremely well...he's a little bigger than DD and doesn't have the injury problems...can't wait to see how he does in a texan's uni
I am just curious--when did 5' 9" 212 lbs get to be bigger than 5' 9" 221 lbs?

By the way, so much for the Capers wants a big back theory.
Old 04-25-2005   #14
O.G.
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak
I am just curious--when did 5' 9" 212 lbs get to be bigger than 5' 9" 221 lbs?

By the way, so much for the Capers wants a big back theory.
Yep, I agree. By next season, he'll put on 10 lbs and working with the speed coach, he can only get better.
Old 04-25-2005   #15
THEFUTURE
All Pro

so does this draft pick totally disperse any thought of us picking up Anthony Thomas? if we are still looking at a big back he would make sense, but with 4 RBs most likely to already make the roster, would we need him? unless someone like wells was to be cut during training camp
THEFUTURE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2005   #16
TheOgre
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 17 TheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVP

If we signed the A-train, Wells would be as good as gone.
TheOgre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2005   #17
O.G.
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOgre
If we signed the A-train, Wells would be as good as gone.
Or strictly special teams....I like A-Train
Old 04-25-2005   #18
THEFUTURE
All Pro

i like him, but i dont know how many RBs we could pick up, if Atrain comes in, wells has to be gone, i dont see how we could keep him, as a 5th string RB
THEFUTURE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2005   #19
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 134504 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

If we didn't sign Morency we would have looked at AT. I think the odds of him coming here now are close to zero.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2005   #20
O.G.
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny
If we didn't sign Morency we would have looked at AT. I think the odds of him coming here now are close to zero.
Hey Vinny, do you think A Train is a better fit?

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read