Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read


Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-25-2005   #81
ComstockLode
Veteran
 
ComstockLode's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Age: 29
Posts: 311
Rep Power: 11 ComstockLode is ridin' the pine
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panther5407
Ok, would anyone actually take Chris McAllister over Dunta?
I am only talking about next year, not the future. And yes, I would. Try not to see through the red and blue glasses only, since everyone accuses me of seeing through orange ones.
ComstockLode is offline  
Old 04-25-2005   #82
Trapped
Veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Age: 29
Posts: 229
Rep Power: 10 Trapped is ridin' the pine
Default

comstockelode, what does a top 25 player on defense have to do with anything?

I think we have a better defense this year than last year. And that is what matters. Were making progress, oh yeah, of the 25 players u mentioned, none of them were available in FA with the exception of Trotter and some were on the trading block. Since u think having a top 25 defender is so important, what do u want Casserly to do? Steal those guys away from other teams?

Greenwood replacing Sharper, Buchanon replacing Glenn, and eventually Travis Johnson replacing G.Walker were great moves on defense. We turn our oldest players on defense into virtually our youngest players on defense without losing quality in my opinion.
Trapped is offline  
Old 04-25-2005   #83
texasguy346
Mod Squad
 
texasguy346's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Deer Park, TX
Age: 31
Posts: 7,093
Rep Power: 3792 texasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to texasguy346
Default

If DRob doesn't fit into the "Top 25 Defenders" then I don't see how either Glenn, Sharper, Foreman, or Brown would fit either. That would mean we didn't have a Top 25 Defender last year or this year. I'm not understanding your argument.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwallaia View Post
God wants spiritual fruit, not religious nuts.
texasguy346 is offline  
Old 04-25-2005   #84
Panther5407
All Pro
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Houston, Texas
Age: 25
Posts: 816
Rep Power: 11 Panther5407 is ridin' the pine
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComstockLode
I am only talking about next year, not the future. And yes, I would. Try not to see through the red and blue glasses only, since everyone accuses me of seeing through orange ones.
I love the Ravens (i was actually a raven in katy little leauge), but never liked Chris. Look at what Dunta did with a around average team around him in his rookie year compared to Chris with players like Ray Lewis, Ed Reed, Suggs, and so on. Chris has not shown that he could be the next all everything shut down corner, Dunta has. When has Chris elevated his level when getting pounded and stopped a 250+ pound FB and plant him in the ground? Talking about right now, Dunta would be my choice of the two, no doubt about it. Talking about the future, Dunta once again would be an easy choice. Its no contest.
__________________
Texan By Birth, Aggie by the Grace of God
Panther5407 is offline  
Old 04-25-2005   #85
DocBar
Hall of Fame
 
DocBar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: I'm international
Section: Channel 700-ish on NFL Sunday Ticket
Age: 44
Posts: 9,530
Rep Power: 93451 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected
Default

I like the way our D is shaping up on paper. Foreman was, at best, a good backup, and Sharper was nowhere near as disruptive as he should(COULD?) have been. I wish them well, but good riddance. AG is another story, but I wonder(as I have posted before) how much of this is because his feelings are hurt about PB? If that IS the case, maybe he isn't the stand up guy we think he is, and was a "class" act because of all the adulation poured on him from adoring fans. I'm just throwing this out there for speculation. I'm probably full of it, but it IS food for thought.
DocBar is offline  
Old 04-25-2005   #86
ComstockLode
Veteran
 
ComstockLode's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Age: 29
Posts: 311
Rep Power: 11 ComstockLode is ridin' the pine
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasguy346
If DRob doesn't fit into the "Top 25 Defenders" then I don't see how either Glenn, Sharper, Foreman, or Brown would fit either. That would mean we didn't have a Top 25 Defender last year or this year. I'm not understanding your argument.
That is my point. Our defense will still suck. We lose our best run stuffer, and we replace aaron glenn with buchanon who has potential, but is no sure thing.

Houston:
23rd Overall Defense
22nd Overall Passing Defense
13th Rushing Defense (With Sharper gone this gets worse, coupled with the fact that 3 of our 4 LBs are former DEs....and we havent seen Peek in rushing defense)
17th in Turnovers (Lose Aaron Glenn's 5 INTs)
ComstockLode is offline  
Old 04-25-2005   #87
DocBar
Hall of Fame
 
DocBar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: I'm international
Section: Channel 700-ish on NFL Sunday Ticket
Age: 44
Posts: 9,530
Rep Power: 93451 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected
Default

[13th Rushing Defense (With Sharper gone this gets worse, coupled with the fact that 3 of our 4 LBs are former DEs....and we havent seen Peek in rushing defense)
17th in Turnovers (Lose Aaron Glenn's 5 INTs)[/quote]
How many tackles did Sharper have BTLOS? Most of his tackles were 5 yrds down the field. We're going in the right direction!!!
DocBar is offline  
Sponsored links
Old 04-25-2005   #88
AndreJ
All Pro
 
AndreJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Age: 26
Posts: 934
Rep Power: 10 AndreJ is ridin' the pine
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComstockLode
That is my point. Our defense will still suck. We lose our best run stuffer, and we replace aaron glenn with buchanon who has potential, but is no sure thing.

Houston:
23rd Overall Defense
22nd Overall Passing Defense
13th Rushing Defense (With Sharper gone this gets worse, coupled with the fact that 3 of our 4 LBs are former DEs....and we havent seen Peek in rushing defense)
17th in Turnovers (Lose Aaron Glenn's 5 INTs)
Unless you have a magic 8ball how do you know that our Run D will get worse, just because we lost Foreman and Sharper. Our starting four LBs are still not "set" and we don't know exactly who will be playing where, although we have a pretty good idea. You have no idea how Greenwood will perform, you dont know if Babin will step his game up and we dont know how Peek will work out. Wong is about the only LB who we have an idea of how much production he will bring and he'll most likely be in a new position than last year.

As for Aaron Glenn (assuming he is given the boot), how do we know Buchannon wont come in and match his 5 ints or even get more. The guy has had a change of scenery and has alot to prove.

I just don't see how you can say our D will end up next year without even seeing them play in the pre-season atleast. You can call me a homer or whatever you want, but i just try and look at the positives and have hope for the future. I find it less stressing than worrying about why we let Sharper and Foreman and maybe Glenn go. Especially when I haven't seen how there replacements will perform.....Just my 2 cents.
__________________
"Get ya hands off me!!!"-DROB
AndreJ is offline  
Old 04-25-2005   #89
texasguy346
Mod Squad
 
texasguy346's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Deer Park, TX
Age: 31
Posts: 7,093
Rep Power: 3792 texasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to texasguy346
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComstockLode
That is my point. Our defense will still suck. We lose our best run stuffer, and we replace aaron glenn with buchanon who has potential, but is no sure thing.

Houston:
23rd Overall Defense
22nd Overall Passing Defense
13th Rushing Defense (With Sharper gone this gets worse, coupled with the fact that 3 of our 4 LBs are former DEs....and we havent seen Peek in rushing defense)
17th in Turnovers (Lose Aaron Glenn's 5 INTs)
Our defense played very well last season with guys like Coleman out. Why? Because DRob, Peek, and Babin were really coming on strong. This upcoming season we likely won't be starting any rookies on defense, and we'll have young guys like TJ coming in to keep the other DLinemen fresher. I'm not saying we'll be excellent on defense next season, but also I'm not prepared to say we're going to stink either. On paper, Oakland looked to have a dominant defense last season. However, things worked out quite to the contrary. On paper, San Diego looked to have a bad defense last season. They were switching to the 3-4, and no one had really heard of guys like Jammal Williams. The point being that you can't tell how a unit is going to perform just based on the fact they don't have any names you recognize. You've got to wait till these guys at least get a chance to play together before you can make an accurate evaluation.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwallaia View Post
God wants spiritual fruit, not religious nuts.
texasguy346 is offline  
Old 04-25-2005   #90
profan
Veteran
 
Join Date: May 2004
Age: 51
Posts: 368
Rep Power: 11 profan is ridin' the pine
Default

[quote=ComstockLode]That is my point. Our defense will still suck. We lose our best run stuffer, and we replace aaron glenn with buchanon who has potential, but is no sure thing.

Sharper should have been our best run stuffer and whoever takes his place will become our best run stuffer. AG was not our best cb last year and got burned numeruos times. Roy Williams made him look his age. I'm glad to see the moves to make this defense better, because for the last two years our defense has just been bad. I see this defense developing into one of the best in the conference. Time will tell.
profan is offline  
Old 04-25-2005   #91
outofhnd
All Pro
 
outofhnd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Dallas, TX
Age: 37
Posts: 723
Rep Power: 10 outofhnd is ridin' the pine
Default

This is not the old NFL we all grew up with this is the New NFL. Just because we got rid of our pricey players doesn't condemn us to failure. New England cut Ty Law and Bruschi is out for the year yet I do not hear people talking about how the patriots D is gonna be weak next year.

I like the moves myself it tells me we are a time comitted to building thru the draft not building on the parts we got in the expansion draft. Remember teams made the choice to send these players to us and not keep em on their roster in 02.

Our D will be somewhat better as long as our line can take up blockers. Thats all we need to change QB hurries into QB sacks. Glenn was a good corner great guy but this is a business. He knows that. Considering Capers and casserly have gotten us this far is big statement considering the fact the panthers in year went into a big decline.
__________________
Where have all the Running backs gone?
outofhnd is offline  
Old 04-25-2005   #92
AndreJ
All Pro
 
AndreJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Age: 26
Posts: 934
Rep Power: 10 AndreJ is ridin' the pine
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasguy346
Our defense played very well last season with guys like Coleman out. Why? Because DRob, Peek, and Babin were really coming on strong. This upcoming season we likely won't be starting any rookies on defense, and we'll have young guys like TJ coming in to keep the other DLinemen fresher. I'm not saying we'll be excellent on defense next season, but also I'm not prepared to say we're going to stink either. On paper, Oakland looked to have a dominant defense last season. However, things worked out quite to the contrary. On paper, San Diego looked to have a bad defense last season. They were switching to the 3-4, and no one had really heard of guys like Jammal Williams. The point being that you can't tell how a unit is going to perform just based on the fact they don't have any names you recognize. You've got to wait till these guys at least get a chance to play together before you can make an accurate evaluation.
Although i tried, i couldn't have said it any better myself.
__________________
"Get ya hands off me!!!"-DROB
AndreJ is offline  
Old 04-25-2005   #93
texasguy346
Mod Squad
 
texasguy346's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Deer Park, TX
Age: 31
Posts: 7,093
Rep Power: 3792 texasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to texasguy346
Default

Just for further evidence that having a Top 25 player doesn't = A good defense just look at some of the teams of the players on your list. KGB and the Packers had one of the worst defenses in the NFL. Yet the Washington Redskins managed to have one of the best defenses despite having Lavaar Arrington (there Top 25 Defensive player) out for much of the year with a leg injury. The defense is a unit, and it's predicated upon all 11 players playing well together as well as having a good scheme/D-Coordinator. There's more to a team than the marquee names you see on paper. This is especially true on the defensive side of the ball.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwallaia View Post
God wants spiritual fruit, not religious nuts.
texasguy346 is offline  
Old 04-25-2005   #94
AndreJ
All Pro
 
AndreJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Age: 26
Posts: 934
Rep Power: 10 AndreJ is ridin' the pine
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasguy346
Just for further evidence that having a Top 25 player doesn't = A good defense just look at some of the teams of the players on your list. KGB and the Packers had one of the worst defenses in the NFL. Yet the Washington Redskins managed to have one of the best defenses despite having Lavaar Arrington (there Top 25 Defensive player) out for much of the year with a leg injury. The defense is a unit, and it's predicated upon all 11 players playing well together as well as having a good scheme/D-Coordinator. There's more to a team than the marquee names you see on paper. This is especially true on the defensive side of the ball.
I would like to think that the New England Patriots are a good example of this. With the exception of Ty Law who was realeased. There is not really one outstanding player on their defense, but a number of good players who work and play as a team together. I would say without a doubt they have one of the best Ds in the league along with Pittsburgh, Baltimore and Philly.
i also find it interesting that when the Patriots come out of the tunnel for a football game they are announced as a team and not individually.
__________________
"Get ya hands off me!!!"-DROB
AndreJ is offline  
Old 04-25-2005   #95
DocBar
Hall of Fame
 
DocBar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: I'm international
Section: Channel 700-ish on NFL Sunday Ticket
Age: 44
Posts: 9,530
Rep Power: 93451 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by outofhnd
Our D will be somewhat better as long as our line can take up blockers. Thats all we need to change QB hurries into QB sacks. Glenn was a good corner great guy but this is a business. He knows that. Considering Capers and casserly have gotten us this far is big statement considering the fact the panthers in year went into a big decline.
IMHO, our entire team will be better in '05. We've made some needed moves to shake things up and send a message. Our veterans we've aquired through the expansion draft and FA have pretty much been able to rest easy, knowing there was no serious competition. Not true any more.We have had some excellent drafts since '02 and management and coaching staff seem to be on the same page. I don't see them making any panicky moves. Everything seems methodical and well thought out. Remember...they know things behind the scenes we aren't privy to. These boards are fun and all, but 99.9% of us are talking out our collective wazoo's. We're a brand new team. We need time to evaluate talent, add depth and make moves without crippling further developement under the ALMIGHTY SALARY CAP. "If ya don't perform, ya don't get paid" is a great motto IMO.
DocBar is offline  
Old 04-25-2005   #96
DocBar
Hall of Fame
 
DocBar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: I'm international
Section: Channel 700-ish on NFL Sunday Ticket
Age: 44
Posts: 9,530
Rep Power: 93451 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasguy346
The defense is a unit, and it's predicated upon all 11 players playing well together as well as having a good scheme/D-Coordinator. There's more to a team than the marquee names you see on paper. This is especially true on the defensive side of the ball.
I disagree with the underlined. IMO it is especially true on the OL. That's why I'm sooooooooo happy we didn't mess with it this offseason.
DocBar is offline  
Old 04-25-2005   #97
TexanExile
Square 1 again
 
TexanExile's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Singapore
Age: 43
Posts: 1,605
Rep Power: 3475 TexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respected
Default

Just so I'm clear on this, then...it's OK to make drastic changes to a "broken" defense, but not to a "broken" O-line? When both can be statistically described as pretty bad in '04?
TexanExile is offline  
Old 04-25-2005   #98
Wolf
100% Texan
 
Wolf's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Kerrville
Age: 44
Posts: 37,204
Rep Power: 100807 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected
Default

I am hoping that Glenn stays.. why? you ask.. we need a legit 3rd corner..

we gave up a whopping 43.4% on 3rd down conversions.. Yes, TE's killed us.. but also no pass rush.. I would rather see Buchanon and Glenn match up on the two Wr's and Drob either blitz or match up on the slot WR.... Hopefully Glenn will stay on the team (either on his wishes or the teams)

http://www.nfl.com/stats/teamsort/NF...1=4&_1:col_1=9
Wolf is online now  
Old 04-25-2005   #99
Boxscore
All Pro
 
Boxscore's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Katy, TX.
Age: 58
Posts: 903
Rep Power: 11 Boxscore is ridin' the pine
Default

I am going to miss Aaron Glenn on this team. He was a class act. I do not know what to think about Phillip Buchanan as of yet. I have heard that he has some bad baggage. Just a matter of time when the Texan decisions turn up some bad apples.
__________________
Section 135 - S. End Zone
Boxscore is offline  
Old 04-25-2005   #100
DocBar
Hall of Fame
 
DocBar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: I'm international
Section: Channel 700-ish on NFL Sunday Ticket
Age: 44
Posts: 9,530
Rep Power: 93451 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexanExile
Just so I'm clear on this, then...it's OK to make drastic changes to a "broken" defense, but not to a "broken" O-line? When both can be statistically described as pretty bad in '04?
The "broken" offense had a line that was brand new and in a new scheme. The D has much the same problem. It is easier to plug and play on D than on O. Especially the OL. These guys need time to learn each other and the scheme. Apples and Oranges.
DocBar is offline  
Closed Thread

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:25 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Ad Management by RedTyger