Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Closed Thread

Old 04-25-2005   #41
D-ReK
RAWWWRR!

Rep Power: 685 D-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respected

CHRIS PALMER FOR HEAD COACH!!!!11 :woot
Old 04-25-2005   #42
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

First of all:

BIG props to D-Rek for the Palmer for head coach statement. That was soooooooooooooooooooo funny, man. Nicely done, bro. I haven't laughed al day until I read that one.

Secondly, big props on the "How bad does it have to be to get those hippies angry with you" comment about Holmy. Was funny, as well. He's way overrated, along with Shanahannahan or howvere you spell it. Both those guys got lucky with having two hall of fame Qb's who basically handled the show on their own.

I am sad about Sharper and Glenn (seriously) because they did mean so much for our team, but it's just a reality. You get too sentimental in this cap-era of the NFL and you immediately send yourself to the bottom of your division every year. Gotta rotate them out after 2-3 years. Keep your QB, or maybe even keep your QB and your RB...but everybody else is gone after their rookie salaries run out and they hit "veteran" salary. Or, you suffer the consequence. Look at Indy: They're actually talking a trade (off and on) with Edgerrin James. I know he's been injured, but last time I checked the guy is still hammering it down our throats twice a year, as well as putting on a pretty good show against other teams, too. And they can't afford to keep Manning and James, while at the same time keeping Freeney and Harrison, etc. It'll be the same for Indy as it is for the Titans right now. At some point, you cut them loose and re-load with rookies and their cap-friendly salary ranges.

It's why we drafted Morency. Don;t really need him now, but just wait 'till our buddy Domanick and his agent go knocking on uncle Charley's door for a steep raise in the next few years. We gotta keep Carr. We gotta keep AJ. Dunta is defintely earning his salary, too. Tick, tick, tick. You can't keep all of them for what they want and for what the league allows with the cap.

Simple economics.
Old 04-25-2005   #43
thegr8fan
All Pro

Rep Power: 667 thegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respectedthegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respectedthegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respectedthegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respectedthegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respectedthegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respectedthegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respectedthegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respectedthegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respectedthegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respectedthegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respected

so if it is simple economics, how the heck does Washington do it every year?

but your right gp, most teams in the NFL keep their 2-3 stars, the rest are simply cap economic cuts, like them or not.

even Emmitt Smith had to play a couple of years on another team before coming back to retire a Cowboy. Montana, Young, Rice, sooner or later they simply have to move on to get the paycheck they think they deserve.
Old 04-25-2005   #44
Grid
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2272 Grid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respected

Im hoping that we will be successful enough, and treat our players well enough, that we can be a team like the Steelers.

You dont see alot of the core Steelers leave the team in FA.. they keep their players for either their whole career, or the vast majority of it.
Old 04-25-2005   #45
Errant Hothy
Hypermediocrity

Rep Power: 30856 Errant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respected

Does anybody if Glenn asked, and I mean really asked the FO to seek a trade (Like calling Charley and sayign that he wants out)? Yes, I know that if he did it would probably have been a direct result of the Buchanon trade; but maybe this a mutuial feeling; and if it is why is Glenn not aking any flack only the FO?

I don't remember to many Pats fans complaining when Lawyer Milloy was let go, or when Ty Law was, or any of their other players?

In the new era of the NFL, a front office that nows how to work the cap and is able to make the right (both talent and dollr) decsisions is the one who guides a team to a Super Bowl. Not an aging CB.

Last edited by Errant Hothy; 04-25-2005 at 12:43 AM.
Old 04-25-2005   #46
TEXANS84

Rep Power: 3262 TEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TEXANS84 Send a message via Yahoo to TEXANS84

From this mornings (Monday) Chronicle:

Quote:
Glenn is in a more precarious position. With the arrival of cornerback Phillip Buchanon in last week's trade with the Raiders, Glenn has been given permission to negotiate with other teams. It seems unlikely he'll return as a backup to Buchanon.

Foreman and Sharper left as part of a linebacker shuffling in which free agent Morlon Greenwood was signed and Antwan Peek inserted as an outside linebacker.

The Texans finished last season 23rd in total defense and 16th in points allowed. They gave up just three touchdowns in their last four games and went 13 quarters without surrendering one. As Jason Babin and Dunta Robinson got better, as Seth Payne became more healthy, the Texans became more than respectable.

"That's the kind of defense I've wanted us to play since I got here," Capers said.

Now they're even better. They've got a pair of shutdown corners in Buchanon and Robinson. They've got two potential impact pass rushers on the outside in Babin and Peek. And if Johnson creates havoc, the Texans may be on their way to making Capers happy.

These moves guarantee them nothing. Ask them about the playoffs, and they remind you they've gotten better every year and that they play in one of the NFL's toughest divisions.

"I think we're right in the middle," Casserly said. "We're not New England, but we're not at the bottom, either. We were 7-9 last season and lost to Minnesota in overtime and Green Bay at the end of the fourth quarter.

"I think we can compete every week."
LINK
Old 04-25-2005   #47
ComstockLode
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegr8fan
so if it is simple economics, how the heck does Washington do it every year?

but your right gp, most teams in the NFL keep their 2-3 stars, the rest are simply cap economic cuts, like them or not.

even Emmitt Smith had to play a couple of years on another team before coming back to retire a Cowboy. Montana, Young, Rice, sooner or later they simply have to move on to get the paycheck they think they deserve.
Therein is the reason I am such a huge college football fan. Once a longhorn always a longhorn, even when they go on to do bigger and better things.
Sponsored links
Old 04-25-2005   #48
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

"so if it is simple economics, how the heck does Washington do it every year?" -- gr8fan

They DON'T. If I'm correct (and Vinny will let me know if I'm not, since he knows a heck of a lot more than I do about this stuff) Snyder pays players a large signing bonus that doesn't count against the cap, allowing the team to put off or even dispose of the cap implications that would normally result from paying that bonus out to the player in yearly sums via a yearly salary that figures into the cap restrictions. In short, pay the guy his salary (the bulk of it) as a "signing bonus" and then the remainder of his REAL salary is smaller and thus counts less against the actual cap. I think that's right, but I'm not sure.

It's why Lavar Arrington got so mad recently. He wanted a larger signing bonus after re-structuring his deal, and Snyder is fudging a little (many speculate). Arrington feels disrespected by this, and he's upset. Snyder, as well as the other owners, have to pay large signing bonuses out of their own pockets to get those "high quality" players since the cap can't allow for every player to get high dollars. If the cap didn't exist, we'd have a situation like they have in MLB: The Yankees can buy out all the star players and leave other teams in the cellar with the scraps. Snyder and Jones would do it, too...in a heartbeat. The cap can only be beaten by the signing bonus, but the signing bonus can hurt guys like Snyder if they lose too often. A losing team draws fewer revenues, and fewer revenues mean Snyder has to also tote the note for any stadium improvements, etc. Snyder is rich, but the money will eventually run out at some point if he keeps spending his own coin.

In my opinion, and we can gripe about losing Sharper and Glenn all we want, but the front office has calculators and they have guys who use those calculators really well. They know it, and we know it, too: At some point, you just cannot afford to keep ticket prices down, concession prices down, parking prices down, etc., if you bleed out money (whether it's revenues or the owner's personal finances) to star players because of sentimental reasons.

I don't see anybody crying over us cutting Matt Stevens. Nobody said, "Matt was one of the founding fathers of Texans football...we can't let him go!"

A lot of our concern about Sharper and Glenn is just as "greedy" as the motives behind the players, the agents, and the front office: We don't want to lose their skill. Period. We're scared about the ramifications on the field. Secondarily, we're sad that two quality PEOPLE are leaving, but mostly we want to win and we don't know if PB and TJ will be the improvement that the Texans are telling us they will be.

For now, we have to trust. Ain't no other team I want to be a fan of, that's for sure! I've seen more gambles pay off than fail, and I think PB has as good a shot as any to maintain or propel the secondary in the next few seasons.
Old 04-25-2005   #49
NederlandTexan
Veteran

http://www.nflfans.com/draft/article...50423062849657

AP reports with a pressing need at corner, CB Aaron Glenn could be re-acquired from the Houston Texans by the New York Jets for a pretty modest price. Sure, he's going to be 33 in mid-July, just before training camp begins. And, yes, he still has some of the most dubious hands of any corner in the NFL, and drops as many interceptions as he makes. But Glenn, who almost certainly would have to restructure his contract for the Jets, still had five pickoffs in 2004. He's had four or more interceptions in five of the past seven campaigns. Look at the other veteran corners still in the unemployment line, and suddenly, for the Jets, Glenn might not look like such a bad option.
Old 04-25-2005   #50
cadahnic
All Pro

The sad and true fact is that if Glenn was not out this year then he would have been out next year. We cannot keep around aging players and pay them foolishly high salaries, our cap situation would start to resemble that of the Tennesse Titans. I would think that if we cannot move Glenn we are in a good enough place with cuts to be made on and after June1 that we can keep him on the team to mentor PB and D-Rob for one more year. Now with that said if NYJ offers anything 4th round or above Glenn is gone. Who knows we are creating a younger more explosive(hopefully) team. This is just the sad part of the salary cap you just have to get rid of aging players.
Old 04-25-2005   #51
texman8
Veteran

Honestly, I believe the Steelers let alot of their FA sign with other teams; they just did a good job of replacing them thru draft. What was remarkable about their last season was that they had pretty much the same defensive personnel ( i.e. lousy CB's). They brought in a new D/C and he perform miracles.
Old 04-25-2005   #52
noxiousdog
All Pro

Rep Power: 6013 noxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpshafer_1976
Snyder pays players a large signing bonus that doesn't count against the cap, allowing the team to put off or even dispose of the cap implications that would normally result from paying that bonus out to the player in yearly sums via a yearly salary that figures into the cap restrictions.
This is not correct.

The signing bonus is amortized over the life of the contract.

For instance:
A player might get a 4 year deal with a 10M signing bonus that looks like this:
salary year 1: 1M
salary year 2: 2M
salary year 3: 3M
salary year 4: 6M

The cap numbers would be the following:
year 1: 1M + 2.5 (bonus) 3.5M
year 2: 2M + 2.5 (bonus) 4.5M
year 3: 3M + 2.5 (bonus) 5.5M
year 4: 6M + 2.5 (bonus) 8.5M

When a player is cut, all of his -bonus money- is counted against the cap, but his salary is not.

So you could cut our hypothetical after June 1 in year four and save 6M in cap.

There is more to it of course, but this is basically it.
Old 04-25-2005   #53
chuckm
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14 chuckm was voted MVPchuckm was voted MVPchuckm was voted MVPchuckm was voted MVP

I'm as big a Glenn fan as the next guy (bought my wife his battle red jersey for Christmas) but I don't have a big problem with this. The Texans would be foolish to get into the mode of paying older guys big money at a point in their career when production is slipping*...

* see Jeff Bagwell
Old 04-25-2005   #54
Dilbert R.
Rookie

Watching the games - I can't see that Glenn's play is slipping. The enforcement of the 5 yard touch lead to alot of pass interfernce calls throughout the league. Aaron Glenn to me, still looks great. I think he is in the top section of corners in the league. That stated, I'd love to see him renegotiate his contract if necessary - and stay a Texan. I also want to see our front office give him proper respect - which he has earned. Trying to shop him now - smacks of disrespect. Now if Glenn is the one wanting the trade - I got him all wrong.
Old 04-25-2005   #55
barzilla
Veteran

I think most people are forgetting that even if we do end up cutting him on June 1st we will have a whole list of players to choose from. I don't know if anyone great will be there (probably not), but if we cut Glenn (or trade him for a draft pick) we will have a lot of money left over from his contract, Sharper's, and Foreman's. We might have enough to add two or three solid players that could increase our depth on both sides of the ball. For instance, if the Bills can't find a taker for Travis Henry he likely could get cut. There could be some decent WRs available as well.
Old 04-25-2005   #56
TexAntagonise
Rookie

Send a message via AIM to TexAntagonise Send a message via MSN to TexAntagonise

When I first heard the news about Glenn, I thought CC had lost his mind. Then he fallowed that up with the pick of Travis Johnson (Thought Spears would have been better) I was sure of it. But after reading some good points put up on the board and a little time to reflect. I’m starting to feel better about it. I love Glenn and hate to see him go. I think he is one of the best corners to ever play in Houston. But time marches on.

When Glenn first came to Houston, CC compared his work ethic to D. Green (CB) of Washington. He went on to say that he though Glenn would have just as long of a career as Green, who played into his 40’s. Green moved inside as nickel back later in his career. I would love to see Glenn take on this roll but that doesn’t look like it is going to happen. Anyway, to my main point.

All the way back in the expansion draft. The Texans took THREE starters form the J E T S jets, jets, jets! Glenn, Coleman, and “One of the best young OT in the NFL.” (where he is today, NO CLUE!) I remember thinking that the Jets were going to be AWFUL. They finished that season 9-7 tied for first in their division. Just a little info for the Doom and Gloomers out there.
Old 04-25-2005   #57
Blake
MMQB

Section: 551
Rep Power: 72046 Blake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respected

Trade Glenn for a draft pick, and sign Browner to play S. And Munoz to play T.
Old 04-25-2005   #58
barzilla
Veteran

Quote:
All of these sound wonderful, but really don't add up. How many starting offensive linemen were never drafted? I guess it could happen, but I'm leaning towards trusting 32 GMs and hundreds of scouts that passed on him. As for the draft pick, I wouldn't expect anything better than a sixth or seventh round pick. After all, teams know we will cut him on June 1st.
Old 04-25-2005   #59
WildBlackBear32
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by barzilla
All of these sound wonderful, but really don't add up. How many starting offensive linemen were never drafted?
Don't know the exact numbers in the entire NFL, but 40% of the Pats starting line is undrafted.
Old 04-25-2005   #60
Errant Hothy
Hypermediocrity

Rep Power: 30856 Errant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC_ROCK
Browner was picked up by the Broncos, sorry that particular paln won't work.

Although I'd love to pickup extra picks for next year's draft.
Closed Thread

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read