Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Closed Thread

Old 04-24-2005   #1
tacoman_j
Veteran

Default Glenn is Goner

According to the quote by the coach; one can deduce that Glenn is gone; no need for him.

(on safety Ceandris Brown) “When you get to this point in the draft, you are looking for guys with good height, weight, and speed that have had good productivity. When you take a defensive back at this point, you want a guy who can contribute on special teams. While they are learning the system they need to contribute on special teams. We feel Ceandris has those capabilities. We like for our guys to be able to play either way. If you look at Glenn Earl, Jammal Lord, and the young guys we have in the secondary, they have the size and speed that allows them to play either side. As you look at our secondary, we have a young secondary with exception of Marcus Coleman who is coming back at 31 years of age. We have some players that we think are ascending and still learning the system. Of course two starters in our secondary were rookies last season. We have also added Phillip Buchanon, who is young. Ceandris is going to fit in well with that group. It is exciting to have these young ascending players.”

houstontexans.com
Old 04-24-2005   #2
Texans Pride
Hall of Fame

Section: 111, Row Q
Rep Power: 347 Texans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respected

Umm, yeah, I didn't see Glenn's name mentioned in that statement at all. . . Coleman, but no Glenn...
Old 04-24-2005   #3
Beastlyman2003
Veteran

this blows. if they wanted to cut money or something, they shouldnt have resigned seth payne for an ungodly amout and overpaid for over-the-hill Gary Walker. We needed to keep AG. Next year, Drob wont be as good and p buch will still be unrefined, but im not the GM. This is some attempt to make our team younger by removing the cornerstones. This team is gonna be havin a top 10 pick next year, i dont want it, but its gonna happen.
Old 04-24-2005   #4
texans
Veteran

why would D-rob be worse next year with a increaced pass rush and you forget this will be buchanes 4th year starting
Old 04-24-2005   #5
edo783
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 4641 edo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respected

I agree, we need to keep Glenn for one more season to develope and guide the young guys, after that?????? Personally, I would keep him around as the nickle/dime DB for a couple of more years and then make him the DB coach after Hoak becomes the DC. He would need to re-do his contract to make this work though. Not sure how likely that is.

De Oppresso Liber
Old 04-24-2005   #6
F-minus67
Hall of Fame

I'd just keep him around until he retired which will be sooner rather than last it seems. He is a great character guy and will help our younger players learn the position and the defense.
Old 04-24-2005   #7
texanfan2002114 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 614 texanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by edo783
I agree, we need to keep Glenn for one more season to develope and guide the young guys, after that?????? Personally, I would keep him around as the nickle/dime DB for a couple of more years and then make him the DB coach after Hoak becomes the DC. He would need to re-do his contract to make this work though. Not sure how likely that is.

He has lost a step and won't become PB back up. Thats what the nickel back is, a back up. The Texans have DRob, PB and Faggins to be their nickel back.
Sponsored links
Old 04-24-2005   #8
ComstockLode
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by texans
why would D-rob be worse next year with a increaced pass rush and you forget this will be buchanes 4th year starting
Where is this increased pass rush coming from?
Old 04-24-2005   #9
TEXANS84

Rep Power: 3262 TEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TEXANS84 Send a message via Yahoo to TEXANS84

I guess Capers doesn't want his job after this season.
Old 04-24-2005   #10
D-ReK
RAWWWRR!

Rep Power: 685 D-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEXANS84
Pretty much...It seems obvious to me that if we don't make a playoff run this year, at the bare minimum, Capers is gone...Fangio and Palmer are possibilities, too...

I've tried to find a good reason to cut/trade Glenn, and I can't come up with one...He's going to be 33, wow, great reason to cut the leader of your D...
Old 04-24-2005   #11
ComstockLode
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-ReK
Pretty much...It seems obvious to me that if we don't make a playoff run this year, at the bare minimum, Capers is gone...Fangio and Palmer are possibilities, too...

I've tried to find a good reason to cut/trade Glenn, and I can't come up with one...He's going to be 33, wow, great reason to cut the leader of your D...
No the leader of the D was cut earlier. Now we cut our secondary leader for a premadonna.
Old 04-24-2005   #12
WildBlackBear32
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComstockLode
Where is this increased pass rush coming from?
From all the OLBs and Tweeners we drafted this year!!!...errrrr
Old 04-24-2005   #13
D-ReK
RAWWWRR!

Rep Power: 685 D-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComstockLode
No the leader of the D was cut earlier. Now we cut our secondary leader for a premadonna.
Sharper begged for someone to show him the way...Sounds like a leader to me ...
Old 04-24-2005   #14
Rovator
Veteran

Am I the only one who doesn't think that Glenn "lost a step"? If I remember correctly, I thought he struggled early in the season (injury perhaps? or maybe Robinson and Coleman struggling?), but by the end of the year I thought he was back to playing really well.
Old 04-24-2005   #15
D-ReK
RAWWWRR!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rovator
Am I the only one who doesn't think that Glenn "lost a step"? If I remember correctly, I thought he struggled early in the season (injury perhaps? or maybe Robinson and Coleman struggling?), but by the end of the year I thought he was back to playing really well.
It's hard to tell if he lost a step or just had trouble adjusting to the new coverage rules at the beginning of the season...

Last edited by D-ReK; 04-24-2005 at 08:07 PM.
Old 04-24-2005   #16
barzilla
Veteran

I'm not sure how I feel about this. I like Glenn, but we also know that there could be some guys available after June 1st. This team is putting themselves in a situation to help themselves at that point and sign their draft picks easily. It didn't make sense to sign Faggins to a long-term deal to have him be the fourth corner. Maybe I'm naive, but it doesn't seem that wise to sign a player like Faggins to that kind of contract to serve a critical role in two games. Besides, if we were really that concerned with the Colts, why didn't we draft Barron to block Freeney?
Old 04-24-2005   #17
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Section: Channel 700-ish on NFL Sunday Ticket
Rep Power: 60434 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEXANS84
When did Capers become the personnel man? That's CC and he seems to be in McNair's good graces. It does suck about AG. I really think we should keep him, but I'm not so sure it's as much about us wanting him gone as it is AG doesn't want to be a back up at this point in his career. And CC is pretty much adamant about taking BPA in the draft(except 1st round usually)and not drafting the "popular pick". Gonna be a heck of a fun time seeing how it unfolds this year.
Old 04-24-2005   #18
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Section: Channel 700-ish on NFL Sunday Ticket
Rep Power: 60434 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by barzilla
Besides, if we were really that concerned with the Colts, why didn't we draft Barron to block Freeney?
Barron wasn't as highly rated by a lot of teams as it sounded like. All 32 teams put out a lot of smoke in the draft. I would have been apoplectic if we drafted Barron.
Old 04-24-2005   #19
Beastlyman2003
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildBlackBear32
From all the OLBs and Tweeners we drafted this year!!!...errrrr
We only drafted one OLB and we got em in the 7th round. He wont even make the 53 man roster. Think first.
Old 04-24-2005   #20
texman8
Veteran

Me thinks he was being sarcastic. Yuk! yuk!
Closed Thread

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read