Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 10-08-2011   #1
TejasTom
Heisenwatt

Section: Brazos Suite
Rep Power: 56294 TejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respected
Default NFL stat shows Texans QB Schaub steps up in clutch

The Texans' Matt Schaub received well-deserved respect this week when the NFL showed a statistic that measures quarterbacks under*pressure.

"Quality play at quarterback when the game is on the line" is the way the NFL worded*it.

In games decided by eight or fewer points since 2007, Schaub, 30, has a 99.1 rating - the highest in the*league.

In the last eight minutes of games, Schaub has thrown 52 touchdown passes and only 22 interceptions. He's the only quarterback among the top five with 30 more touchdowns than*interceptions.

"If you can manage your situations, keep your third downs manageable and execute the plays that are called against what the defenses are doing, you'll keep yourself in good shape," said Schaub, who has a 101.7 rating this season. "You have to be into what you're doing and what the defenses are trying to do to you, especially in crunch time when the game is on the*line."

http://www.chron.com/sports/texans/a...ch-2208523.php
Old 10-08-2011   #2
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 272221 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss
Default Re: NFL stat shows Texans QB Schaub steps up in clutch

I'm truly surprised.. But I guess it's all in how you ask the question.
Old 10-08-2011   #3
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 366349 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

No it isn't. Schaub has been clutch. People around here like to piss and moan and denigrate everything about the Texans because they aren't happy with the overall result (and we shouldn't be happy with the overall result). It has been patently obvious to anyone with a TV who is willing to put aside their agenda that Schaub has been very good late in games. Have there been mistakes? - you betcha. But watch the other teams and you find mistakes as well. That is what always baffles me. People judging the Texans up against some mythological perfect standard and ignoring the rest of the NFL, i.e. NFL reality.
Old 10-08-2011   #4
redwhiteANDblue
Color of Texans

Rep Power: 5007 redwhiteANDblue is a quality contributor and well respectedredwhiteANDblue is a quality contributor and well respectedredwhiteANDblue is a quality contributor and well respectedredwhiteANDblue is a quality contributor and well respectedredwhiteANDblue is a quality contributor and well respectedredwhiteANDblue is a quality contributor and well respectedredwhiteANDblue is a quality contributor and well respectedredwhiteANDblue is a quality contributor and well respectedredwhiteANDblue is a quality contributor and well respectedredwhiteANDblue is a quality contributor and well respectedredwhiteANDblue is a quality contributor and well respected

He's always been clutch in my mind. It's the defense that's screwed him over. Look at last year how many leads he took in the 4th only to let the defense come and send it to hell
Old 10-08-2011   #5
drunkcookie
2 drunk 2 cook

Rep Power: 4924 drunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
No it isn't. Schaub has been clutch. People around here like to piss and moan and denigrate everything about the Texans because they aren't happy with the overall result (and we shouldn't be happy with the overall result). It has been patently obvious to anyone with a TV who is willing to put aside their agenda that Schaub has been very good late in games. Have there been mistakes? - you betcha. But watch the other teams and you find mistakes as well. That is what always baffles me. People judging the Texans up against some mythological perfect standard and ignoring the rest of the NFL, i.e. NFL reality.
Yah, I agree... A lot of the haters use the INT in OT in the Baltimore game last year as an example of Schaub not performing well in the clutch.... uhhhhh, doing well in the clutch got the Texans into OT to begin with..

These numbers don't lie, or mislead or anything... the factoid about his td/int ratio in the final eight minutes of games is impressive... If he's throwing in those last eight minutes, he's in the clutch... simple as that...

Now of course Schaub isn't some world-beater at QB, (and out of 32 of them there are only about six really), but you don't really need him to be... We have a great running game and now it seems we may have a pretty salty D (we shall see)... but I like how someone put it the other day, I think on the radio, that Schaub (paraphrasing) "is not in the top tier of NFL qbs, but that second tier? He's on top..."

Add to it that the guy is pretty good in the clutch, and this guy gives us a chance...

...and Hell is coming with them!
drunkcookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011   #6
Air Canada
Veteran

Rep Power: 791 Air Canada is a quality contributor and well respectedAir Canada is a quality contributor and well respectedAir Canada is a quality contributor and well respectedAir Canada is a quality contributor and well respectedAir Canada is a quality contributor and well respectedAir Canada is a quality contributor and well respectedAir Canada is a quality contributor and well respectedAir Canada is a quality contributor and well respectedAir Canada is a quality contributor and well respectedAir Canada is a quality contributor and well respectedAir Canada is a quality contributor and well respected

Games that come to mind...

Last Season... The Redskins and Chiefs games... Even the Baltimore and the Jets games... Even though we lost those...

Also that Titans game in 09' or the Dolphins game in 08' I believe... huge drive in the waning seconds and clutch play at the goal line with the QB Sneak to win it.... And there's some others as well...
Air Canada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011   #7
Grams 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 28177 Grams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Air Canada View Post
Games that come to mind...

Last Season... The Redskins and Chiefs games... Even the Baltimore and the Jets games... Even though we lost those...

Also that Titans game in 09' or the Dolphins game in 08' I believe... huge drive in the waning seconds and clutch play at the goal line with the QB Sneak to win it.... And there's some others as well...
Jags game last year also - the defense gave that one away also.
Old 10-08-2011   #8
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 272221 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
No it isn't.

Yes it is.
Quote:
People around here like to piss and moan and denigrate everything about the Texans because they aren't happy with the overall result (and we shouldn't be happy with the overall result).
That don't sound like me........ I've got the Koolaide Kart.
Quote:
It has been patently obvious to anyone with a TV who is willing to put aside their agenda that Schaub has been very good late in games. Have there been mistakes? - you betcha. But watch the other teams and you find mistakes as well. That is what always baffles me. People judging the Texans up against some mythological perfect standard and ignoring the rest of the NFL, i.e. NFL reality.
Well, again, that's not me.

It's not about the mistakes that are made, it's about when they are made.

I think it's painfully obvious that Kubiak is slowing the game down for us, especially for Schaub. No 2 minute, no no huddle, no hurry up... we tend to make goofy mistakes at the end of close games..... not just Matt, but including Schaub.

I think he's trying to work some of that stuff into him, Matt's actually been calling real audibles this year, changing plays & stuff.

Lower scoring games favor us, because we are less likely to err.... With the QB handling the ball more than anyone else, he's the main guy you have to slow down.
Old 10-08-2011   #9
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 366349 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
That don't sound like me....
I said people around here rather than you for a reason.

Quote:
It's not about the mistakes that are made, it's about when they are made.
Yeah and having the best differential in the NFL shows the perception of Schaub having some great when problem is wrong in comparison to the NFL as a whole.

Quote:
I think it's painfully obvious that Kubiak knows Schaub & Romo have one thing in common. They are both very talented, but neither are make their team mates better. I think Kubiak wants to slow the game down, for Matt especially.

Lower scoring games favor us, because we are less likely to err.... With the QB handling the ball more than anyone else, he's the main guy you have to slow down.
And I think this is one of your painful theories. Pretty sure AJ and OD would disagree with you. Pretty sure the OL would disagree with you.
Old 10-08-2011   #10
bckey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15763 bckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respected

I would like to know what the stat is for the final 2 minutes of a game when it truly is clutch. From the last 8 minutes to the the 2 minute warning is a little different than a final drive where you have to score a touchdown to win the game. Not hatin just sayin.
bckey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011   #11
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Section: Channel 700-ish on NFL Sunday Ticket
Rep Power: 100454 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected

Good find, TT. Maybe much of the impressions fans have is due to the QB getting so much more glory and blame in a team game. QB's are judged on W-L's.

Last edited by DocBar; 10-08-2011 at 11:27 AM.
DocBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011   #12
dream_team
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 37668 dream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by bckey View Post
I would like to know what the stat is for the final 2 minutes of a game when it truly is clutch. From the last 8 minutes to the the 2 minute warning is a little different than a final drive where you have to score a touchdown to win the game. Not hatin just sayin.
I agree our 2 min offense sucks, but I put that more on Kubiak than Schaub.
dream_team is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011   #13
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dream_team View Post
I agree our 2 min offense sucks, but I put that more on Kubiak than Schaub.
How does our 2 min offense suck? You don't pull back from 14 points down in the 4th quarter an NFL record number of times with a 2 min offense that sucks.
Old 10-08-2011   #14
The Cush
All Pro

Rep Power: 2779 The Cush is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Cush is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Cush is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Cush is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Cush is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Cush is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Cush is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Cush is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Cush is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Cush is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Cush is a quality contributor and well respected

Schaub and the offense drove us back into the lead late in so many games last year only for the defense to have a game ending epic fail or give the lead right back where Schaub had to do it all over again.
The Cush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011   #15
TejasTom
Heisenwatt

Section: Brazos Suite
Rep Power: 56294 TejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respected

The biggest problem was the offense scoring too fast. If any time was left, the worst coached defense in the NFL could lose it.
Old 10-08-2011   #16
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 290332 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

I've considered Schaub clutch ever since that game against the Dolphins a few years ago where Andre made that stupid catch and then Schaub ran the QB draw for the TD.

His biggest problem has been our totally un-clutch defense.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011   #17
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TejasTom View Post
The biggest problem was the offense scoring too fast. If any time was left, the worst coached defense in the NFL could lose it.
Which is funny because at the games there were tons of fans yelling at Kubiak to have the team move faster. Of course with all the corporate seats we have a ton of ignorant fans at the games.
Old 10-08-2011   #18
TexansFanatic
Extremist

Rep Power: 7238 TexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respected

Where is panamamyers? :-))
TexansFanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011   #19
drunkcookie
2 drunk 2 cook

Rep Power: 4924 drunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
How does our 2 min offense suck? You don't pull back from 14 points down in the 4th quarter an NFL record number of times with a 2 min offense that sucks.
Isn't it funny how if something is said enough times, people start believing it?

Our two minute offense may not be "great" (whose is? maybe NO?), but it for sure is far from "suck"...

Just before this season, bleacherreport.com released their rankings, the Texans came in at.......... FIVE! That sucks?

(http://bleacherreport.com/articles/8...minute-offense)

at 4 was Atlanta (Matt Ryan, promising young QB), #3 San Diego (Philip Rivers- great QB) #2 Pats (Tom Brady- first ballot HOFer) and #1 New Orleans (Drew Brees- I think he gets in the HOF also)...

Granted, this list was made BEFORE this season, but with only one two-minute drive this year, can we really say it's going to suck?

...and Hell is coming with them!
drunkcookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011   #20
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Section: Channel 700-ish on NFL Sunday Ticket
Rep Power: 100454 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by drunkcookie View Post
Isn't it funny how if something is said enough times, people start believing it?

Our two minute offense may not be "great" (whose is? maybe NO?), but it for sure is far from "suck"...

Just before this season, bleacherreport.com released their rankings, the Texans came in at.......... FIVE! That sucks?

(http://bleacherreport.com/articles/8...minute-offense)

at 4 was Atlanta (Matt Ryan, promising young QB), #3 San Diego (Philip Rivers- great QB) #2 Pats (Tom Brady- first ballot HOFer) and #1 New Orleans (Drew Brees- I think he gets in the HOF also)...

Granted, this list was made BEFORE this season, but with only one two-minute drive this year, can we really say it's going to suck?
I would like to see more of the 2 minute O. From say....the 2nd play of the game. Our attack would be even better of we didn't give the other guys time to substitute and catch a breather. I very much hope we try this approach next week against the Ravens. Schaub is gonna need every edge he can get. TOP would suffer, but at least our QB wouldn't.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read