Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 10-07-2011   #1
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 216695 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss
Default Antonio Smith... just doing what he always does

Really?

I don't think so. 4 games, 4 sacks..... has he ever done that before? This man is different, this man can finish.

Has he been our most consistent defensive lineman for the last 2-3 years? Sure. Has he always had a knack for showing up in the backfield? Sure.

But what's he ever done since he got back there? Wave his hands around, poorly trail the HB with the ball..... He might cause the RB to redirect. He might cause the QB to throw the ball higher, but that's about it.

He wasn't a finisher. To be a finisher, he doesn't have to get sacks... not imo. He doesn't have to tackle the ball carrier in the backfield.

But he does have to affect the play in a negative way. & that is where he has improved his game 10 fold. He was always a hair short, now he's making a difference, now DCs & QBs are worried about 94.

Years past, I felt if Mario wasn't doing it, it wasn't going to get done. If Mario wasn't in the game.... we're in for a long game. Now, I think Antonio & them boys on Kirby can & will do their thang with or without Mario Williams.

I'm still thankful the big guy is on our team, but now, if he's a little knicked up.. has a strain here, or an ache there, NOW we've got a rotation that will allow him to sit out a game or two, get healthy & come back & contribute.

All thanks to 94.
Old 10-07-2011   #2
EllisUnit
Serving Koolaid

Section: 2" from the TV, Screaming.
Rep Power: 87155 EllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Antonio Smith... just doing what he always does

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
Really?

I don't think so. 4 games, 4 sacks..... has he ever done that before? This man is different, this man can finish.

Has he been our most consistent defensive lineman for the last 2-3 years? Sure. Has he always had a knack for showing up in the backfield? Sure.

But what's he ever done since he got back there? Wave his hands around, poorly trail the HB with the ball..... He might cause the RB to redirect. He might cause the QB to throw the ball higher, but that's about it.

He wasn't a finisher. To be a finisher, he doesn't have to get sacks... not imo. He doesn't have to tackle the ball carrier in the backfield.

But he does have to affect the play in a negative way. & that is where he has improved his game 10 fold. He was always a hair short, now he's making a difference, now DCs & QBs are worried about 94.

Years past, I felt if Mario wasn't doing it, it wasn't going to get done. If Mario wasn't in the game.... we're in for a long game. Now, I think Antonio & them boys on Kirby can & will do their thang with or without Mario Williams.

I'm still thankful the big guy is on our team, but now, if he's a little knicked up.. has a strain here, or an ache there, NOW we've got a rotation that will allow him to sit out a game or two, get healthy & come back & contribute.

All thanks to 94.
i think he is also benefiting from pressure coming from everywhere now. The QB cant just run to the right/left now cause we also have pressure off the ends. He is a beast for sure but the added pressure is helping him finish now IMO
Old 10-07-2011   #3
Carr Bombed
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 84801 Carr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respected

LOL, why do people get so wrapped up in sacks? It's one of the most overrated stats in football. I'll take a guy who consistently gets into the backfield and supplies pressure over a guy who racks up sacks and then disappears.

This reminds me of a ignorant argument another poster made...it involved Dwight Freeney and other elite pass rushers. Their argument was that "even Dwight (and other pass rushers) has stretches where he doesn't get sacks".. Yeah, that's true, but guess what Dwight DOES do. He consistently gets into the backfield and gets into the QBs head whether he's getting sacks or not. Last Monday night he had a VERY impressive performance and didn't even tally one single tackle...go figure.

Does it really matter if Smith wasn't "racking up sacks" last season. He was our best defensive lineman and consistently knifed into the backfield last year. You know maybe when you improve a secondary, those near misses turn into sacks. Something to think about.

Anyways glad people are finally coming around to the great player that Smith has been for us.
Carr Bombed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011   #4
imatexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 4457 imatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carr Bombed View Post
LMAO, why do people get so wrapped up in sacks? It's one of the most overrated stats in football. I'll take a guy who consistently gets into the backfield and supplies pressure over a guy who racks up sacks and then disappears.

This reminds me of a ignorant argument another poster made...it involved Dwight Freeney and other elite pass rushers. Their argument was that "even Dwight (and other pass rushers) has stretches where he doesn't get sacks".. Yeah, that's true, but guess what Dwight DOES do. He consistently gets into the backfield and gets into the QBs head whether he's getting sacks or not. Last Monday night he had a VERY impressive performance and didn't even tally one single tackle...go figure.

Also who the hell cares if Smith wasn't "racking up sacks" last season. he was our best defensive lineman and consistently knifed into the backfield last year. You know maybe when you improve a secondary, those near misses turn into sacks. Did you ever think of that.
The point?

In short: Antonio Smith is playing at a very high level and maybe even the best he has ever played and I agree with that.
imatexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011   #5
BullNation4Life
Hall of Fame

Section: Living Room 77429
Rep Power: 59425 BullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
Really?

All thanks to 94.
No brother, all thanks goes to the fat man on the sideline they call defensive Coordinator for putting Smith in a position to succeed. Smith has always had the talent, showed that in Arizona, but due to knucklehead DCs in the past not utilizing his skills, has shown very little up till now.

Now that he and Phillips defense are like peas and carrots, I sit anticipating #94 darting through the line making a Guard look stupid while he hits the QB...

Gotta enjoy the little things in this crazy ass world.... For me this is one of them...

Ohhh, uh oh, it's Fitzmagic!....
BullNation4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011   #6
BullNation4Life
Hall of Fame

Section: Living Room 77429
Rep Power: 59425 BullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
LOL, why do people get so wrapped up in sacks? It's one of the most overrated stats in football. I'll take a guy who consistently gets into the backfield and supplies pressure over a guy who racks up sacks and then disappears.

Does it really matter if Smith wasn't "racking up sacks" last season. He was our best defensive lineman and consistently knifed into the backfield last year. You know maybe when you improve a secondary, those near misses turn into sacks. Something to think about.

Anyways glad people are finally coming around to the great player that Smith has been for us.
What makes Freeney so successful is #18 developing leads so Freeney and the rest of the Colts D can pin their ears back and have a QB sack lunch...

Ohhh, uh oh, it's Fitzmagic!....
BullNation4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011   #7
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 94174 Texecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respected

Antonio Smith is definitely playing with more explosiveness and at a higher level. I agree with the OP. It's not like he was saying he wasn't really any good because he wasn't getting a ton of sacks. Just saying that now he seems to have that extra pop in his explosiveness. Good for SMith. Hopefully he can keep it up.
Texecutioner is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 10-07-2011   #8
TheMatrix31
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 56462 TheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respected

The most important part is that Antonio Smith is playing SMART so far. No stupid personal fouls, no gambles, just playing tough, bad ass football.
TheMatrix31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011   #9
dc_txtech 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 51561 dc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respected

Smith has always been good it just hasn't showed up on the stat sheet like it has this season. I'm pretty sure he was in the top 5 in QB hits and hurries last year but I don't have that link on hand.

In my opinion the reason that he is producing at a career high level is due to his own awesome talent, mixed with Wade's system, and the players around him. Since the end of last season we have added Watt, Joseph, Manning, Mario, Demeco, and Barwin to our starting D The coverage is better, the scheme is better, the guys around him are all healthy and playing well. All this leads to a trip to Hawaii for Antonio.
Old 10-07-2011   #10
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72200 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

He intimidates the crap outa opposing QBs with that dang sword.

HJam72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011   #11
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 70440 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected

He is abusing interior linemen this year. This next game is going to be a test, the Raider Holiness is quite good and have kept Campbell very clean.
Old 10-07-2011   #12
Line_Producer
Party Rocker

Rep Power: 120 Line_Producer is a quality contributor and well respectedLine_Producer is a quality contributor and well respectedLine_Producer is a quality contributor and well respectedLine_Producer is a quality contributor and well respectedLine_Producer is a quality contributor and well respectedLine_Producer is a quality contributor and well respectedLine_Producer is a quality contributor and well respectedLine_Producer is a quality contributor and well respectedLine_Producer is a quality contributor and well respectedLine_Producer is a quality contributor and well respectedLine_Producer is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0ng View Post
the Raider Holiness is quite good
Amen. All praises to Autocorrect.
Old 10-07-2011   #13
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 141276 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

I wish I could find my pre-season post saying I thought Smith would do very well in Wade's defense. It is good to be right sometimes.
Old 10-07-2011   #14
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 141276 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

I think sacks are very important. Not only is it loss of a down but is a pyschological blow as the "leader" is going down. Then you throw in the physical damage down to the QB as well as his emotional state as the sack can effect him for several plays if he is angry or dazed.

I do agree with the rest of your post.
Old 10-07-2011   #15
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 92801 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Don't you know? Stats are the end all when it comes to judging a player.
Old 10-08-2011   #16
EllisUnit
Serving Koolaid

Section: 2" from the TV, Screaming.
Rep Power: 87155 EllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respected

i would rather have a guy get 50 sacks, instead of a guy who gets 2 sacks and 1000 hurries. Atleast we know what the end result of a sack is, we have all seen QBs escape the sack and throw the ball to open WRs down field. Sacks are very important.
Old 10-08-2011   #17
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 303034 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by EllisUnit View Post
i would rather have a guy get 50 sacks, instead of a guy who gets 2 sacks and 1000 hurries.
That is just whack.
Old 10-08-2011   #18
Texanmike02
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 82785 Texanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
i would rather have a guy get 50 sacks, instead of a guy who gets 2 sacks and 1000 hurries.
Call up Al Davis, you might have a place in his front office. All stats and no real football.

And dude. I'm a statistical analyst. I'm telling you you need to get your head out of the stats. That means something.

Mike

Sig by False Start - Thanks man

Govern my country, NOT MY LIFE!
Texanmike02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011   #19
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 216695 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texecutioner View Post
Antonio Smith is definitely playing with more explosiveness and at a higher level. I agree with the OP. It's not like he was saying he wasn't really any good because he wasn't getting a ton of sacks. Just saying that now he seems to have that extra pop in his explosiveness. Good for SMith. Hopefully he can keep it up.
Thanks Tex.... some people only read what they want to read.
Old 10-08-2011   #20
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
i would rather have a guy get 50 sacks, instead of a guy who gets 2 sacks and 1000 hurries. Atleast we know what the end result of a sack is, we have all seen QBs escape the sack and throw the ball to open WRs down field. Sacks are very important.
This is basically my point. Antonio was consistently getting into the backfield last couple of years, but he didn't do crap when he got back there. He'd hurry the passer, but the passer made a good throw & completion anyway. He redirected the runner, but he got away anyway, he'd crash down his end & open a running lane to his side.

It's ignorant to think because a DL got into the backfield, he did his job. There's more to it than that.

It's like those screen passes. The OL lets the DL "penetrate" The DL gets into the QBs face & a split second before the DL gets his sack, the QB flips the ball out to the RB/TE & the offensiveline kicks out & causes "real" havoc.

This year is different, this year he's earning his money, this year he contributes as much as any defensive lineman this team has ever had.

Instead of a Batman & Robin relationship, we've got a Justice League

Ain't no side-kicks in here.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read