Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 10-08-2011   #21
Cerberus
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 68965 Cerberus is a quality contributor and well respectedCerberus is a quality contributor and well respectedCerberus is a quality contributor and well respectedCerberus is a quality contributor and well respectedCerberus is a quality contributor and well respectedCerberus is a quality contributor and well respectedCerberus is a quality contributor and well respectedCerberus is a quality contributor and well respectedCerberus is a quality contributor and well respectedCerberus is a quality contributor and well respectedCerberus is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: week 5 vs Oakland stats

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
Once again, it may not be an upset in the true sense of the word. But it's been a long time coming & I think the Texans are in for a special season. Losing to the Raiders is not part of my idea of a special season.

It will be an upset to me & I guarantee it will be an upset to most every H-town Texans' fan.

Nothing against you or the Raiders, this is an internal "family" affair.
Oh, I understand. I fully expect the Texans to win, but I also expect the Raiders to come to Houston to play, so I think it will be a close, hard fought game. Maybe I'm wrong, maybe I'm right, who knows? Maybe the game starts with a KO return for a TD, followed by a fumbled KR, setting up one team to go ahead 14-0; suddenly everything would be different in the match-up. Just sayin'.
Old 10-08-2011   #22
Chronic
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorn View Post
OK, after four weeks, let's look at the stats. They are starting to tell a story. All numbers are the current league ranking according to ESPN.

Oakland Offense
total yards 8th
rushing yds 1
passing yds 22
points 7

Houston Offense
total yds 10
rushing yds 4
passing yds 20
points 8

Oakland Defense
total yds 29
rushing yds 29
passing yds 22
points 30

Houston Defense
total yds 10
rushing yds 18
passing yds 10
points 4

On offense, the stats are a wash. No real advantage to either side. Defensive stats tell another story though. Our defense has clearly played better. Given a home field advantage, even without AJ, the stats are on our side. Their defense can be had. Being 30th in the league in points allowed as opposed to our being 4th in the league should work to our advantage.

But as we all know, it's a new team every Sunday given the history of both Oakland and Houston. We shall see what we shall see.
That would have some merit if they played the same teams.. other than that they are pretty useless stats
Chronic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011   #23
Chronic
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorn View Post
In terms of the two football teams, I would consider it an upset if the Texans lost. But with Houston, you just never know. This is a game the Texans should win if they are what we hope they are.
Houston won 6 games last year and the Raiders won 8, shoulda been 9 on a last sec FG miss from Janikowski that he makes 99 times outta 100

I'm surprised the Texans are even favored by more than 3 points

Dont know how anyone can say if a 8 win team beats a 6 win team its an upset..
Old 10-08-2011   #24
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 276022 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chronic View Post
Houston won 6 games last year and the Raiders won 8, shoulda been 9 on a last sec FG miss from Janikowski that he makes 99 times outta 100

Because that was last year and this is this year. Last year the Dolphins and Rams won 7 games each - this year none so far. Last year the Colts won 10 games - this year none so far. See how this works?
Old 10-08-2011   #25
Chronic
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
Because that was last year and this is this year. Last year the Dolphins and Rams won 7 games each - this year none so far. Last year the Colts won 10 games - this year none so far. See how this works?
Yes I see how that works, I also see that the Texans probably would be sitting at 1-3 if they played the Bills, Jets, Patriots and Broncos
Old 10-08-2011   #26
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 276022 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Yes I see how that works, I also see that the Texans probably would be sitting at 1-3 if they played the Bills, Jets, Patriots and Broncos
If you say so. If all you are going to do is talk smack then there is a forum for that. Take it there.
Old 10-08-2011   #27
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 195251 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
How do you figure? You're saying we couldn't have beat the Bills, Jets, & Patriots? Is that because the Raiders looked barely competent?

I bet the Bills would be 1-3 if half the teams they've played so far didn't come out of the AFC West.
Old 10-08-2011   #28
Chronic
Rookie

Quote:
How do you figure? You're saying we couldn't have beat the Bills, Jets, & Patriots? Is that because the Raiders looked barely competent?

I bet the Bills would be 1-3 if half the teams they've played so far didn't come out of the AFC West.
You'd have been very lucky to have beaten 2 of them, very lucky

If the Texans were a playoff team last year, maybe.. but truth is, they totally collapsed last year.. much like the Red Sox this year

Theres nothing to suggest the Texans even matchup with those 3 teams

The Bills beat the Patriots by the way
Old 10-08-2011   #29
Chronic
Rookie

Quote:
If you say so. If all you are going to do is talk smack then there is a forum for that. Take it there.
Im not running smack, I'm just simply asking you how you can say a Raiders win would be an upset
Old 10-08-2011   #30
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 195251 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
You'd have been very lucky to have beaten 2 of them, very lucky

If the Texans were a playoff team last year, maybe.. but truth is, they totally collapsed last year.. much like the Red Sox this year

Theres nothing to suggest the Texans even matchup with those 3 teams

The Bills beat the Patriots by the way
Play-offs? Play-offs?!

Look, when the Raiders beat the Jets, the word was that "the Jets suck worse than we thought they would."

It's not, "the Raiders are a great team, they beat the Jets"

No, it's "the Jets suck"

New England beat you & it's, "Yup, what I thought"

You beat the Broncos in a Nail bitter..... you suck
You beat the Jets..... the Jets suck
You get beat by the Bills.. you suck
You get beat by the Patriots...... you suck...

I mean what "exactly" suggests that the Raiders is a good team?
Old 10-08-2011   #31
Chronic
Rookie

Quote:

I mean what "exactly" suggests that the Raiders is a good team?
The way they play?

What this debate is, which is funny, is suggesting the Texans were a playoff team last year, won more games than Oakland and should have no problem beating the the Raiders, and if they lose, it will be an upset

Which is comical

The only people that will consider it an upset are people that live within a 100 mile radius of Houston
Old 10-08-2011   #32
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 202592 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Dude, if you want to go with "SHOULDA" wins, we should have won at least 4 more games last year that we lost on bizarre breakdowns.

The Charger game where we were driving at the end of the game and a ball bounced off of Andre's shin to be intercepted and end the game.

The Jaguar game where Garrard threw up a hail mary prayer and Glover Quin knocked it down... right into the arms of a Jaguar who caught it and stepped into the end-zone for the winning touchdown with no time left.

The Jet game where we took a 4 point lead (after scoring 20 points in the 4the quarter) with 40 second left on the clock and then our pass defense totally self destructed and allowed the Jets to drive down and score the winning touchdown.

The Broncos game where we jumped out to a 17 point half time lead and then let Tim freaking Tebow lead the team back but still if there hadn't been a fluke play where the ball bounced off of Owen Daniels to get intercepted, we would have closed out that game.

And that's not even bringing up the Ravens game.

So we "SHOULDA" been 10-6. Besides, we beat you guys last year.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011   #33
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Quote:
The way they play?

What this debate is, which is funny, is suggesting the Texans were a playoff team last year, won more games than Oakland and should have no problem beating the the Raiders, and if they lose, it will be an upset

Which is comical

The only people that will consider it an upset are people that live within a 100 mile radius of Houston
What is comical is you are the only one obsessed with last year.

By the way, Vegas is more than 100 miles from Houston.
Old 10-08-2011   #34
Chronic
Rookie

Quote:
What is comical is you are the only one obsessed with last year.
Okay, I'll play

Colts 0-4
Dolphins 0-4
Saints 3-1
Steelers 2-2

The Texans have played 4 teams with a combined win loss record of 5-11

Patriots 3-1
Bills 3-1
Broncos 1-3
Jets 2-2

The Raiders have played 4 teams with a combined win loss record of 9-7

Raiders 2-2
Texans 3-1

You're gonna try and convince anyone here based off this years performance and opponents played that a Raiders win would be considered an upset?

The bottom line is simply this:

The Texans are not a team that can call any loss to any team an upset- they havent earned that right yet... They won 6 games last year and played 2 very weak teams

Even a loss to the Rams wouldnt be considered an upset.. The Packers, Patriots or Ravens lose to the Rams at home and that would be considered an upset.

Not any loss by the Texans, not yet anyway. They havent proven anything to earn that... (yet)
Old 10-08-2011   #35
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 202592 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

The Texans are not a team that can call any loss to any team an upset- they havent earned that right yet... They won 6 games last year and played 2 very weak teams

Even a loss to the Rams wouldnt be considered an upset.. The Packers, Patriots or Ravens lose to the Rams at home and that would be considered an upset.

Not any loss by the Texans, not yet anyway. They havent proven anything to earn that... (yet)
Then in your little world, you have your own definition of what an upset is.

It has nothing to do with strength of schedule or performance over the years, it is entirely on expectations. Whether you like it or not, the Texans are 5 point favorites going into this game. If you look at the picks of the "experts", they are overwhelmingly picking the Texans.

If the Raiders win, it will be an upset because of those expectations. You can go through the list of games and if the team that's not favored win, that's an upset.
Old 10-08-2011   #36
Chronic
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
Then in your little world, you have your own definition of what an upset is.

It has nothing to do with strength of schedule or performance over the years, it is entirely on expectations. Whether you like it or not, the Texans are 5 point favorites going into this game. If you look at the picks of the "experts", they are overwhelmingly picking the Texans.

If the Raiders win, it will be an upset because of those expectations. You can go through the list of games and if the team that's not favored win, that's an upset.
LOL

You get 3 points for being at home

Those same experts all picked the Jets to beat Oakland

When its all said and done after week 17, at that time you can look back at the season and you'll find... It wasnt an upset
Old 10-08-2011   #37
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
LOL

When its all said and done after week 17, at that time you can look back at the season and you'll find... It wasnt an upset
In other words, the Raiders suck. The Jets went to your house & were favored to win.

Before you retort with some drivel about the Jets & an AFC championship game from years past, remember the Steelers just came to our house & were expected to lose.
Old 10-08-2011   #38
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
LOL

The fact that you get 3 points for being at home is not relevant to whether a game is an upset or not. That actually plays into the equation.

If you are not considered a favorite and you go into someones house and beat them then that is an upset IMO.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011   #39
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Okay, I'll play

Colts 0-4
Dolphins 0-4
Saints 3-1
Steelers 2-2

The Texans have played 4 teams with a combined win loss record of 5-11

Patriots 3-1
Bills 3-1
Broncos 1-3
Jets 2-2

The Raiders have played 4 teams with a combined win loss record of 9-7

Raiders 2-2
Texans 3-1

You're gonna try and convince anyone here based off this years performance and opponents played that a Raiders win would be considered an upset?

Opposing teams combined record has something to do with you too, ya know.

Like if the texans lost to the steelers and you guys beat the patriots the opposing w/l record is more similar.

Your team has contributed to two of the wins of your opponents. Win more games and your opponents w/l record isn't as flattering.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011   #40
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Quote:
LOL

The Raiders beating the Jets was... an upset.

Getting 3 points for being at home is irrelevant. It's part of the equation. We are favored.

You guys could go on to win all your games and we could go on to lose all of our games, it doesn't matter. Your beating us would still be an upset. For this game right here and right now, we're favored to beat you. If we lose to you, then it's an upset.

I don't see what your problem is with acknowledging that. It's not a knock on you guys or anything. It's just the truth. And it's inarguable.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read