Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 10-06-2011   #1
srrono
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 21340 srrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respected
Default No love from PFT WK 5 picks

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...-five-picks-2/

Raiders at Texans

Florio’s take: The Titans managed to win last week without their top receiver, Kenny Britt. The Texans tend to rely a little bit more on Andre Johnson. He has missed 13 games during his career, and the Texans have lost eight of them. With a better-than-advertised Raiders team coming to town and the Texans’ new-look defense having not yet seen a tailback like Darren McFadden, the record with Andre could be moving to 5-9.

Florio’s pick: Raiders 20, Texans 13.

Rosenthal’s take: This will be a different sort of test for the rebuilt Texans defense. Houston has shown they can get after the passer, but handling the smashmouth Raiders is altogether different. Both of these teams are talented, but make too many bone-headed mistakes. Look for Houston to make more mistakes Sunday.

Rosenthal’s pick: Raiders 28, Texans 24.
srrono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011   #2
kiwitexansfan
Give'm a taste

Rep Power: 60180 kiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: No love from PFT WK 5 picks

I don't have a problem with the second guys assessment. I think this game willl be close and could go either way.

As for looking at how we have played with 'Dre out, those stats aren't that relevant because of how much different the supporting casts, coaching, schemes have been on those occasions.
kiwitexansfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011   #3
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

I think we will handle the Raiders. I don't think McFadden is going to do a whole lot.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011   #4
TexansWest
Rookie

Rep Power: 0 TexansWest is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansWest is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansWest is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansWest is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansWest is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansWest is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansWest is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansWest is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansWest is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansWest is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansWest is a quality contributor and well respected

If somebody will put a huge hit on McFadden early, he'll fold his tent the rest of the game. I can't believe how many plays he takes off during a game!!
TexansWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011   #5
Blake
MMQB

Section: 551
Rep Power: 71634 Blake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respected

The Raiders keeping us to 13 points? I dont see it.

They are giving up 409.8 yards per game so far. Good enough for 28th.

113 points given up - good enough for 31st.
Blake is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011   #6
kiwitexansfan
Give'm a taste

Rep Power: 60180 kiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respected

The Texans aren't set up to score a lot of points.

We are built to move the chains, control the tempo, win time of possession battle. We are not a team like the Patriots designed to get it down field quick and spin the scoreboard.

If we make a few mistakes on our drives, turn the ball over with Schaub's trademarked sh#$y throw of the game, we could only score 13.
kiwitexansfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011   #7
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 98407 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
I think we will handle the Raiders. I don't think McFadden is going to do a whole lot.
What makes you say this? We haven't really stopped the run well against teams wanting to pass. Suddenly we're going to stop it against a team that wants to run and has a much better RB?

I expect McFadden to get his yards. If we're going to win, Foster needs to get his as well.
Old 10-06-2011   #8
TexCanada
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 6655 TexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respected

I can see our TEs having a huge day against those LBs. We will stuff an extra guy in the box at the beginning of the game, go up by a couple of TDs by half time, and play not to lose in the second half, winning the game by 7 points. Its the Texans' way!
TexCanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011   #9
Cerberus
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 68714 Cerberus is a quality contributor and well respectedCerberus is a quality contributor and well respectedCerberus is a quality contributor and well respectedCerberus is a quality contributor and well respectedCerberus is a quality contributor and well respectedCerberus is a quality contributor and well respectedCerberus is a quality contributor and well respectedCerberus is a quality contributor and well respectedCerberus is a quality contributor and well respectedCerberus is a quality contributor and well respectedCerberus is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
That's what Rex Ryan thought also, right before McFadden gashed his vaunted D for 171 yards rushing.
Old 10-06-2011   #10
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 209005 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I think McFadden WILL do a lot, but we'll still win. I see McFadden and Foster both tearing up the turf Sunday. Texans by 10.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011   #11
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 235494 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Florio & Rosenthal are two of the bigger idiots in sports blogdom.

PFT is a comedy of errors.

Too bad, because I like the format.
Old 10-06-2011   #12
Shaft75
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 7233 Shaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respected

Florio was on the Matt Thomas show the other day and threw out some pretty poor analysis of the Texans. Does anyone have a track record of how his picks turned out this year? I would love to see that.
Shaft75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011   #13
FirstTexansFan
The Unknown Fan

Rep Power: 27500 FirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via MSN to FirstTexansFan

First guys comments are without merit. The Texans have beaten the Raiders 2 out of the last 4 times without Andre in the lineup. And when he's played, Aso held him to limited catches. Arian Foster's the difference maker, and look for a breakout game from Owen Daniels. No way they hold our team to less than 24 points. Texans 24 - Raiders 17
Dread-Head's #1 Fan, Because He Hates The Cowboys As Much As Me!
FirstTexansFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011   #14
ChampionTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 62987 ChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaft75 View Post
Florio was on the Matt Thomas show the other day and threw out some pretty poor analysis of the Texans. Does anyone have a track record of how his picks turned out this year? I would love to see that.
He picked the Dolphins to win, but he's picked the other three games correctly.
Old 10-06-2011   #15
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 199795 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaft75 View Post
Well, neither of them would be at the top of the Texans Talk pick'em leagues I'm in.

Florio is 41-23 through 4 weeks (Rosenthal is 43-21).

I've had a rotten year this year and I'm 40-24. TheDudeAbides, Dutchrudder, and Texaninlild are all 46-18.

They both had us beating the Steelers, getting crushed by the Saints, getting beat by the Dolphins, and beating the Colts.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011   #16
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOU-TEX View Post
What makes you say this? We haven't really stopped the run well against teams wanting to pass. Suddenly we're going to stop it against a team that wants to run and has a much better RB?

I expect McFadden to get his yards. If we're going to win, Foster needs to get his as well.

McFadden has gone crazy in two of his games. The other two he didn't reach 100 yards. One of his games he averaged 3.2 ypc.

No ones running game has beat us this year and I don't think that will change against the Raiders. We haven't stopped the run well overall and we haven't needed to, but we have stopped it enough.

Make plays when teams try to pass it and we will more than likely win the game. This is NFL 2011, teams that can pass the ball win games. Teams that can't don't.....Generally speaking...
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011   #17
SteveSlaton20
All Pro

Rep Power: 717 SteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to SteveSlaton20

if we're pick to lose: "they're dumbas*es"
if we're pick to win: "oh god, we're gonna lose now"
Old 10-06-2011   #18
Arky
Veteran

Rep Power: 2327 Arky is a quality contributor and well respectedArky is a quality contributor and well respectedArky is a quality contributor and well respectedArky is a quality contributor and well respectedArky is a quality contributor and well respectedArky is a quality contributor and well respectedArky is a quality contributor and well respectedArky is a quality contributor and well respectedArky is a quality contributor and well respectedArky is a quality contributor and well respectedArky is a quality contributor and well respected

All the ESPN guys like the Texans:

http://espn.go.com/nfl/picks
Arky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011   #19
Ryan
THIS YEAR

Section: Section 135, Row F
Rep Power: 13416 Ryan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to Ryan

Hasn't Florio picked against us every week so far?
Old 10-06-2011   #20
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 171454 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwitexansfan View Post
The Texans aren't set up to score a lot of points.

We are built to move the chains, control the tempo, win time of possession battle. We are not a team like the Patriots designed to get it down field quick and spin the scoreboard.

If we make a few mistakes on our drives, turn the ball over with Schaub's trademarked sh#$y throw of the game, we could only score 13.
Yeah , they are built for ball control and without AJ that becomes exaggerated I expect to see a lot of 3 TE sets or 2 TE's with Casey. They'll have to avoid penalties and turnovers , extend drives and convert in the red zone.
If they can avoid penalties and turnovers , I think the running game with a mix of play action can win against the Raiders.

The Raiders have only given up 2 sacks in 121 pass attempts

The Raiders have the 6th fewest pass attempts , the Texans 5th fewest with 113.

The Texans lead the NFL in rushing attempts with 137 the Raiders are second with 128.

Raiders 7th in the NFL in scoring with an average of 27.8. The Texans are 8th at 26.8.

Houston is 4th in the NFL in points allowed at 17.5 the Raiders give up 28.2 points per game good for 30th.

Rushing defense - the Raiders are 29th while the Texans are 18th.

Hope is a poor mans disease.
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read