Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 04-24-2005   #1
Sudds
Rookie

Default Poor David

I feel so bad for this kid. After all he's been through the past three seasons with one of the worst O-lines in history, he continues to see his GM pass-up any quality OT or OG position players. Carr now has to go into camp, knowing that he will be playing with the same exact line that almost killed him last year. Where is the love CC? Why are the brass of the Texans not trying to save the life of their franchise QB? Are they taking for granted that the kid will continue to rise after each blow? Sooner or later, poor Carr will not be getting up and we can thank CC for that. I love the man, but why haven't they drafted a franchise LT yet?
Sudds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2005   #2
Trapped
Veteran

the Texans made drastic improvements in the 1st year to 2nd year. Then fell off again in the 3rd year due to a NEW LT, LG, RT, and an injury RG position. Also the system was new to all the players. I think Casserly and Capers on banking on them making the same improvement with the Scheme and development.
Trapped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2005   #3
TopTexanFan16
Veteran

Sudds "Carr now has to go into camp, knowing that he will be playing with the same exact line that almost killed him last year. Where is the love CC? "

would u rather carr be goin into mini camp with a rookie offensive linemen who hasnt proven he can play at teh next level? I mean come on get real u have to let time for new players in a new system to gel. 03 he only had 15 sacks and then just like trapped said we got all new guys. i think it'll be alot better this year plus we did pick up a center that can play guard but i doubt he'll be a starter unless he proves in training camp he can be
Old 04-24-2005   #4
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected

To me one of the biggest surprises of the Draft is that all we selected in
the way of Offensive Line was a 5th rounder, especially after we ended up with no FA OL acquisisions.
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2005   #5
Davis37
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trapped
the Texans made drastic improvements in the 1st year to 2nd year. Then fell off again in the 3rd year due to a NEW LT, LG, RT, and an injury RG position. Also the system was new to all the players. I think Casserly and Capers on banking on them making the same improvement with the Scheme and development.
The RUNNING system was new to all the players... Zone blocking has nothing to do with passing protection. I seriously hope we can freakin block some1 this year... They should sign me!!! Ill cut the damn DE's legs out everytime! Good lord, its not that hard to give Carr 2-3 seconds to throw the ball!
Old 04-24-2005   #6
bckey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15763 bckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TopTexanFan16
would u rather carr be goin into mini camp with a rookie offensive linemen who hasnt proven he can play at teh next level? I mean come on get real u have to let time for new players in a new system to gel. 03 he only had 15 sacks and then just like trapped said we got all new guys. i think it'll be alot better this year plus we did pick up a center that can play guard but i doubt he'll be a starter unless he proves in training camp he can be

2002-76 SACKS
2003-36 SACKS
2004-49 SACKS

At some point you have to draft OL for the future. If you draft some this year then realistically the Texans are looking a couple of years ahead. So every year that we don't draft OL is just setting us back further.

I like Phillip Buchanon alot but it may have been better for us to keep our draft picks and Glenn and try and add depth. When we trade 2 picks for a player and then cut a starter for a spot for that player then we didn't do anything but get younger not necessarily smarter and no depth was added as a result. I realize we want speed but Glenn is a very savy cb. We did the same thing with Sharper. Instead of adding depth we replace the starter completely.

To me if we were going to treat any players this way it should have been Gfunk and McKinney. Now that would be an upgrade.
bckey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2005   #7
TheOgre
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 17 TheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVP

I think 2006 will net us the LT we have coveted.

I read somewhere a few weeks ago that regardless of the draft, that we plan on making pass-blocking adjustments like we did between years 1 and 2. I think Wand will be an adequate pass-blocker this year. I expect him to half the number of sacks he allowed. Pitts should be better in only his second year ever playing OG. Hopefully Wiegert and Wade can stay healthy. Injuries contributed to our poor play.
TheOgre is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 04-24-2005   #8
TopTexanFan16
Veteran

hulk "No lineman on our team has ever had to battle for a spot, thats why Iam pumped up to see how this arizona st. guy worksout"

if im not mistaken which i may be but im pretty sure we draft or sign un drafted free agents each year to battle for there pisitions but never to but im not sure if we do. and anyways ur right there just rookies we dont ever make a psuh for big name guys which in my opinion in this case we should give the OL 1 more year to gel.
Old 04-24-2005   #9
keyfro
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14 keyfro was voted MVPkeyfro was voted MVPkeyfro was voted MVP
Send a message via AIM to keyfro

we can still pick up munoz and wilkerson to give you guys some o-lineman to play with...but no one in this draft was gonna beat out our starters because capers and casserly seem to be content with the o-line at this point...they think the seth wand will be a franchise LT...i have my doubts but they don't and they run the show
Old 04-24-2005   #10
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 133798 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

3 of our 5 linemen were veteran FA signings. Of course they signed as starters. Carr never battled for his spot either ya know.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2005   #11
F-minus67
Hall of Fame

The reason why the team has not gotten a top LT is because none have come out since we have had a team in houston. We had Boselli, but we all know to we what happened there. I mean look at our past drafts, would you pick any of the Tackles over our picks? We couldn't get Bryant McKinney because we drafted Carr and by the looks of it Carr is going to be better. Then we picked Andre Johnson over Jordan Gross and Gross is getting moved back to RT next year. Then we didn't have the fire power to move up to get Robert Gallery, besides would you rather have Dunta or Gallery? Then this year we didn't pick Barron because he is very over rated. If we do get an LT it will be next year because, the draft has 4 first round LTs; D'Brickashaw Ferguson, Eric Winston, Jonathan Scott and Marcus McNeill.
Old 04-24-2005   #12
Davis37
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny
3 of our 5 linemen were veteran FA signings. Of course they signed as starters. Carr never battled for his spot either ya know.
Yeah, I think we should sign Ryan Leaf to come in and compete with Carr!
Old 04-24-2005   #13
TopTexanFan16
Veteran

vinny "3 of our 5 linemen were veteran FA signings. Of course they signed as starters."

no wat i meant was we sign un drafted rookie free agents or draft some each year to compete with our CURRENT starters right now. thats wat i was saying
Old 04-24-2005   #14
CowboysTexansFan
Veteran

I'm very disappointed in the team's offseason so far, because the front office has done squat to upgrade the offensive line, which to me was (and remains) the team's biggest weakness.

Compare the way Houston has handled its offseason with the way Dallas took care of business in both the draft AND free agency. I give the team credit for trying to land Orlando Pace, but the fact is, our offensive line stinks. If the team was unsuccessful in upgrading the unit through free agency, it was imperative to upgrade it via the draft, which obviously wasn't done.

What is the point of having a franchise quarterback if you can't protect him? If Carr gets seriously injured, how difficult is it going to be to get another player of his caliber?

Buchanan seems like a good player, but cornerback was not the most pressing need on the team. If the team was going to trade its second and third picks for a veteran, why didn't they get better players on the offensive line? Buchanan may be an upgrade over Aaron Glenn, but McKinney and several of his cohorts on the line need to be upgraded far more than Glenn.

The coaches and Charlie Casserly love to talk about how the pass protection will be better due to the improvement of the existing players and new schemes, etc., and I hope for the sake of Carr and the team that proves to be the case. John McClain has said on several occasions that all the coaches deserve to get fired if the pass protection doesn't improve, and I agree with that, except I think Casserly should be included on that list as well.

Casserly has done absolutely nothing so far to improve the offensive line thus far.
CowboysTexansFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2005   #15
Texanshot
Rookie

Default we need MORE OFFENSIVE line help....WHY??? i don't know....

I am a big huge texans fan.....BUT why didn't we get anymore offensive line help for david? maybe next year?????? i know this year isn't very deep as far as picks go......

I will wait to judge but still not very happy.......
Texanshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2005   #16
Dionysus22
Veteran

Do you guys get the feeling that C.C. and the boys are letting DC take the initial blows while they figure this thing out and put all the pieces together? Then when everything thing is beautiful and the line is a machine and weapons all around....BAM!! They throw in Ragone and leave DC to deal with FA. Look what happened when the Pats were rebuilding. Bledsoe was getting killed with these experimental lines and schemes. Then it started to come together and....BAM! Bledsoe has a little set back with an injury then the next thing you know here comes the new poster boy they've been saving while building and letting DB get beat up. And we all know where this story ends up....
Dionysus22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2005   #17
WWJD
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 375 WWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respected

I think the O line is a weak link in a team that is growing stronger at every other unit. I guess I'll take the view that you build slowly and the emphasis was to do something with the defense this year.

I've been harsh on the O line which is unfair since they haven't played one down in one game yet. What I THINK I see and interpret the powers that be may not. Best to give them a chance and see if they will do well or poorly and then make comments. Capers is most definitely a defensive minded coach though. We'll see.

As for the Cowboys they've taken the same approach it seems. Build on defense. Very nice draft for them.

I'm going to read up more on the Texans new guys. I just don't know enough but my initial reaction was disappointment.
WWJD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2005   #18
OzzO
.. and then?

Rep Power: 23884 OzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to OzzO

If Bob McNair said last season one of the offseason priorities was to get better protection for Carr, I'm sure it has been discussed.
OzzO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2005   #19
rhc564
Veteran

Default Go ahead, one more excuse...

"u have to let time for new players in a new system to gel."

We all have had this thought enshrined in our memories by so many posters
on this board, making a fan wonder if the Texans will ever solve/over-
come this time issue. Are the Texans just in a perpetual state of existence
that--maybe by design--is never ending? Or, are the Texans right around
the corner from solving their time nemisis?

Several other teams (Miami,Cleveland,Dallas,etc.) are making 'major' changes
to their teams this year, even the Patriots are a "shell" of the team that won
the Super Bowl this year, so it will be interesting to see how their showing
on the field is affected by the 'lack' of time to gel!
rhc564 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2005   #20
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 133798 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Those teams had a foundation of players in place. We have just started to build ours. There is a difference in rebuilding a unit and starting one up from air. One takes longer than the other. We are finally deep enough to be a legit playoff contender this year. Bashing the team for not competing before this season is weak. We have the same record the 15-1 Steelers had the year before this last season.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read