Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Mock Draft Talk Mock Drafts, group Mocks and links to all the shamockery.

Old 10-17-2011   #21
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: 1/4 Mark of 2011 Season Mock Draft

I watched Johnson (FB) play for the first time this weekend and I came away impressed. Originally I didn't care for drafting a FB there, but he is a guy that could legitimately platoon with Casey.

I think Vickers is better than what most people think, but the Johnson kid blocks extremely well...
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011   #22
bah007
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 69450 bah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
I watched Johnson (FB) play for the first time this weekend and I came away impressed. Originally I didn't care for drafting a FB there, but he is a guy that could legitimately platoon with Casey.

I think Vickers is better than what most people think, but the Johnson kid blocks extremely well...
Cody actually played very well against Oklahoma St, easily his best game since he got moved to FB.

I'd like to see some consistency before I change my mind on him though. That's what the book has been on him. He'll look great for a game and then look like trash for the next few.
bah007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011   #23
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 143539 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf6151 View Post
I like Hayward as well. I think he's listed by Walterfootball as a 2nd round pick but stats like that could easily move him into the 1st round. Are you thinking CB is our highest priority in the 2012 draft? 1st round pick?
Wolf, the Three Amigos have been debating on players to include on our next mock posting. We believe that NT, WR2 and CB2 are priority with need for Oline depth and a FB coming sometime later.

The difficulty this early comes in deciding not only what round to pick the need but will a player actually be there. It is simple to say grab a corner like Claiborne in first but he is rated everywhere from #1 CB to around 5-6. Personally, I do not see him @ #23 where I have us selecting. I am big on Hayward and have him on my board as a high second. So if I want him I have to reach for him in first. If I go Ta'amu over Poe @ NT will Ta'amu be there #23? Does Jacoby Jones' seemingly being resurrected indicate permanence or will he revert to inconsistent play as ALWAYS? Even if he plays next 10 games as he did against Ravens, I'm still considering a WR no later than round 3.

As you know from your own well researched mocks, you can't just look at 10 corners or WRs and say well his stats look good, I'll go with him. We have seen others do that but Beerlover, Rmartin 65 & I don't do that. We all have seen the mocker that copies exactly what Walter projects. That's not so cool especially when credit not given.

To summarize & answer your question, I have ideas but not locked into CB in first round.
Old 10-18-2011   #24
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 143539 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post

Any thoughts on this guy in 6th round?

Chad Diehl, FB, Clemson
Height: 6-2. Weight: 265.
Projected 40 Time: 4.79.
Projected Round (2011): 7-FA.
8/22/11: Chad Diehl is a powerful lead blocker. He has the ability to run over defenders and blast open holes for running backs. Diehl is not much of a runner or receiver. Over three seasons, he has a total of seven receptions for 39 yards with five carries for eight yards. Diehl has to be a dominant blocker in 2011 to get drafted.

http://walterfootball.com/draft2012FB.php

I am not so demanding that our FB can catch and run for a first but like the idea of a 265lb guy bulldozing thru tacklers to get 3-4 and either a First or a TD. I am not a proponent of passing inside the 10 yard line. We have seen how that ends up more than once.
Old 10-18-2011   #25
Wolf6151
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 27154 Wolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
Wolf, the Three Amigos have been debating on players to include on our next mock posting. We believe that NT, WR2 and CB2 are priority with need for Oline depth and a FB coming sometime later.

The difficulty this early comes in deciding not only what round to pick the need but will a player actually be there. It is simple to say grab a corner like Claiborne in first but he is rated everywhere from #1 CB to around 5-6. Personally, I do not see him @ #23 where I have us selecting. I am big on Hayward and have him on my board as a high second. So if I want him I have to reach for him in first. If I go Ta'amu over Poe @ NT will Ta'amu be there #23? Does Jacoby Jones' seemingly being resurrected indicate permanence or will he revert to inconsistent play as ALWAYS? Even if he plays next 10 games as he did against Ravens, I'm still considering a WR no later than round 3.

As you know from your own well researched mocks, you can't just look at 10 corners or WRs and say well his stats look good, I'll go with him. We have seen others do that but Beerlover, Rmartin 65 & I don't do that. We all have seen the mocker that copies exactly what Walter projects. That's not so cool especially when credit not given.

To summarize & answer your question, I have ideas but not locked into CB in first round.
Oh trust me I understand, I've been flip flopping all around about what order to take players in. Here's what I've come up with and I hope it helps yall. In my mock I'm going NT in the 1st round, Alameda Ta'amu, instead of CB which we all agree is a major need as well. If we take CB in the 1st round and are selecting around #23 then we are likely to get the 4th or 5th best CB since they are so valued and several will go before us, we're not getting the top talent. If we go NT in the 1st round then we're likely to get the #1 rated talent at the position, Ta'amu. Also we already have some developmental CB's in the pipeline/depth in KJ, Harris, Carmichael, McCain, McManis, etc... at NT we only have Earl Mitchell as developmental depth and we all know that he's undersized for our liking. We also have a new defensive coaching staff for the CB's and it seems to be paying off, KJ and McCain are both playing better this year while Harris is developing. At CB there's at least reason for hope with our existing players/depth and new coaching staff, at NT there's a new staff as well but there's only an undersized Mitchell that doesn't seem to be getting any better. Also there's the old adage that you always build a team through the trenches first, you have to have a foundation before you can hang the curtains. I'd like a 1st round CB as much as the next guy but NT just make more sense at this time. Realistic mocks seem to get alot harder the better your team is and the lower you select. Which ever position goes first I at least have faith that we'll be getting better defensive talent in every round due to having a better defensive coaching staff that seems to be able to evaluate talent correctly unlike Smith/Bush/Kubiak.
Wolf6151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011   #26
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 52212 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf6151 View Post
Oh trust me I understand, I've been flip flopping all around about what order to take players in. Here's what I've come up with and I hope it helps yall. In my mock I'm going NT in the 1st round, Alameda Ta'amu, instead of CB which we all agree is a major need as well. If we take CB in the 1st round and are selecting around #23 then we are likely to get the 4th or 5th best CB since they are so valued and several will go before us, we're not getting the top talent. If we go NT in the 1st round then we're likely to get the #1 rated talent at the position, Ta'amu. Also we already have some developmental CB's in the pipeline/depth in KJ, Harris, Carmichael, McCain, McManis, etc... at NT we only have Earl Mitchell as developmental depth and we all know that he's undersized for our liking. We also have a new defensive coaching staff for the CB's and it seems to be paying off, KJ and McCain are both playing better this year while Harris is developing. At CB there's at least reason for hope with our existing players/depth and new coaching staff, at NT there's a new staff as well but there's only an undersized Mitchell that doesn't seem to be getting any better. Also there's the old adage that you always build a team through the trenches first, you have to have a foundation before you can hang the curtains. I'd like a 1st round CB as much as the next guy but NT just make more sense at this time. Realistic mocks seem to get alot harder the better your team is and the lower you select. Which ever position goes first I at least I have faith that we'll be getting better defensive talent in every round due to having better coaching staff that seems to be able to evaluate talent correctly unlike Smith/Bush/Kubiak.
Another, hurdle to clear this early is evaluation of underclassman who will declare for the draft that are actually ready to make the jump? Case in point the best db's all seem to be Juniors, for example Kareem didn't make his decision until the last hour. Most will probably declare if given a high grade by the NFL advisory board (both Claiborne & Gilmore would fall into this camp) so it becomes a business decision. Texans rolled the dice with Kareem & seemed to have missed which is the nature of the beast but I really think they focused on the wrong measureables more than anything. The minute he ran a surprising 4.45 @ the Combine it made up their mind, along with game film & talking to Sabin. Both of these guys have plus speed (sub 4.4) fluid hips & cut like a razor. That would trump a big wide body any day who's main job is to tie up two bodies but that's just me I suppose. Great Feedback!

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011   #27
badboy
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover View Post
Another, hurdle to clear this early is evaluation of underclassman who will declare for the draft that are actually ready to make the jump? Case in point the best db's all seem to be Juniors, for example Kareem didn't make his decision until the last hour. Most will probably declare if given a high grade by the NFL advisory board (both Claiborne & Gilmore would fall into this camp) so it becomes a business decision. Texans rolled the dice with Kareem & seemed to have missed which is the nature of the beast but I really think they focused on the wrong measureables more than anything. The minute he ran a surprising 4.45 @ the Combine it made up their mind, along with game film & talking to Sabin. Both of these guys have plus speed (sub 4.4) fluid hips & cut like a razor. That would trump a big wide body any day who's main job is to tie up two bodies but that's just me I suppose. Great Feedback!
Good ost. I'll pm soon.
Old 10-24-2011   #28
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 52212 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Go ahead & rep this latest mock draft by the pros Rob Rang - http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/n...tscout-RobRang

Having Texans selecting -
Quote:
17. Houston Texans
Alameda Ta'amu, DT, Washington: For the Texans' transition to the 3-4 defense to work effectively, the team needs to add size and strength inside at nose guard. Ta'amu lacks the foot quickness to track down ball-carriers from behind, but he holds up well to double-teams.
After strong performance against Titans, can't see them picking that low but the player/need I changed to is there @ #20 -
Quote:
20. Cincinnati Bengals
Stephon Gilmore, CB, South Carolina: You might be surprised to learn that the Bengals have one of the league's top-rated defenses. Much of the credit lies with a solid cornerback combination of veterans Leon Hall and Nate Clements. Depth behind these two is slim, however, making the talented junior Gilmore a possibility, especially as more and more teams use multiple receiver sets.

2012 Draft was Mercilus
Old 10-24-2011   #29
Wolf6151
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 27154 Wolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respected

BL, I agree I don't see us picking at #17 either, I'm thinking we pick around 22-24. I like Alameda Ta'amu in the 1st round as well but the scenario listed in the mock you linked is what I fear, having to choose between the top rated NT or a quality CB. In this situation I'd go for Ta'amu but it would be a very difficult decision and is the reason rick Smith makes the big bucks. In this scenario I sure hope Phillips and the defensive coaching staff are listened to by Rick Smith, I want them making this decision for Smith. My reason for picking Ta'amu over a quality CB is the fact that we have no starter or quality depth at NT and that at CB we at least have some developmental talent/depth in KJ, Harris, Carmichael, McCain, McManis, etc... I agree WR in the 2nd round along with some quality O-line talent in the 3rd.
Wolf6151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011   #30
badboy
Site Contributor

I moved Texans to 23 from 25 after defeat by Oakland but after Titans destruction, back to #25 (maybe lower). I think Ta'Amu is gone and the elite CBs. Poe may be there but will be a reach unless he keeps climbing charts. If so, I could switch Poe to first, leaving our mock as is. If you can't get a CB in first that will start, go for one in 2nd or 3rd.
Old 10-25-2011   #31
beerlover
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
I moved Texans to 23 from 25 after defeat by Oakland but after Titans destruction, back to #25 (maybe lower). I think Ta'Amu is gone and the elite CBs. Poe may be there but will be a reach unless he keeps climbing charts. If so, I could switch Poe to first, leaving our mock as is. If you can't get a CB in first that will start, go for one in 2nd or 3rd.
Poe is a Junior, from what I understand he could use another year to polish. if he asks for his draft grade from NFL advisory committee he'll probably stay & finish school. For him it would be the smartest move, get his degree plus move from a 3rd rd. pick to 2nd possibly 1st.

Speaking of DT position I wonder if Jerel Worthy fits Wade Phillips system? He is not your huge space eater, more of a one gap penetrator but he does draw double teams because he is so disruptive. He is a rock solid 6030 310 & gave a pro caliber Wisconsin line fits this last Saturday in Michigan State victory. However I see him selected before Texans too, maybe pushing Alameda into 20's?

2012 Draft was Mercilus
Old 10-25-2011   #32
badboy
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover View Post
Poe is a Junior, from what I understand he could use another year to polish. if he asks for his draft grade from NFL advisory committee he'll probably stay & finish school. For him it would be the smartest move, get his degree plus move from a 3rd rd. pick to 2nd possibly 1st.

Speaking of DT position I wonder if Jerel Worthy fits Wade Phillips system? He is not your huge space eater, more of a one gap penetrator but he does draw double teams because he is so disruptive. He is a rock solid 6030 310 & gave a pro caliber Wisconsin line fits this last Saturday in Michigan State victory. However I see him selected before Texans too, maybe pushing Alameda into 20's?
There basically 2 big NTs of any worth & Poe is the second & I'll be stunned if he goes lower than second round. IMO he is stronger than Ta'amu just handles himself differently.

I'm not as impressed with Worthy as some are. I watched only parts of the game against Notre Dame and he did not do well. Seemed either tired or lackadaisical, either one is not good. Probably a 2nd rounder but you will find most have him in first. He still has time to power up and he may have. I watche the game against Wisconsin but tbh focused on your guard. Worthy only had like maybe 4 tackles I think? Does have 3 sacks, I'm pretty sure but I'm not interested in him.
Old 10-25-2011   #33
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 75541 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Speaking of NT's

How does everybody think Taylor is doing this yr? I think he's doing well.

To get a great NT you usually have to take a chance on a big guy and hope his weight doesn't blow up. (See Raji, Wilfork,Hampton etc....) Risk vs reward

My 3 guys are Ta'amu,Chapman and Fangapo. I haven't forced myself to watch a Memphis game. LOL
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011   #34
badboy
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
Speaking of NT's

How does everybody think Taylor is doing this yr? I think he's doing well.

To get a great NT you usually have to take a chance on a big guy and hope his weight doesn't blow up. (See Raji, Wilfork,Hampton etc....) Risk vs reward

My 3 guys are Ta'amu,Chapman and Fangapo. I haven't forced myself to watch a Memphis game. LOL
Sorry, Taylor who? For big guys i look historically to see if they balloon during off season.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read