Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 10-05-2011   #21
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 216695 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss
Default Re: Texans vs Raiders

Quote:
Originally Posted by Air Canada View Post
I'm not really worried about this game... Which makes me wonder if I should be, but when I look at Jason Campbell... I just feel he's gonna find a way to fail come Sunday in Reliant.. I see Joseph getting that INT he lost back... And after last season...

FOSTER IS GOING TO FEAST
I was worried.

All I had to go by were the highlights, the media talk, & the fantasy numbers. Last week I was able to actually watch them play.

I think we are going to be OK. I think the fans at Reliant are going to be very, very pleased.
Old 10-05-2011   #22
hradhak
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 6498 hradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm really not too worried about the Raiders defense. We should be able to move the ball fairly easily. I'm a little more worried about our ability to stop them. If we have to overcommit to stop the run, we setup them up for the pass. McFadden is averaging 6.2 yards per carry and they lead the league in yards on the ground (178 per game). The Steelers largely abandoned the run, but their only scoring drive of the game was purely on the ground.
hradhak is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011   #23
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 264510 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Raiders are one QB away from being a very good team...

Not to be taken lightly, IMO.
Old 10-05-2011   #24
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 216695 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by hradhak View Post
I'm really not too worried about the Raiders defense. We should be able to move the ball fairly easily. I'm a little more worried about our ability to stop them. If we have to overcommit to stop the run, we setup them up for the pass. McFadden is averaging 6.2 yards per carry and they lead the league in yards on the ground (178 per game). The Steelers largely abandoned the run, but their only scoring drive of the game was purely on the ground.

This is typical of some of DMC's big runs. Notice, a big run stuffing NT wouldn't help us as much as it didn't help the Patriots. This ISO is run off the left tackle.... See the LB there getting ready to take on the Full Back?

Our best option would be for Antonio to get up field in a hurry, make DMC have to make a decision in the backfield. Our LB needs to be able to beat that FB into the back field, The OLB on the play side has to stand his man up, push him back & force DMC back inside.
Old 10-05-2011   #25
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24791 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

I still like our offenses chances against their defense. As long as our OL continues to do well, we should score some points even without AJ.

Let them put 8 in the box all game long. Foster will still break a couple big ones. But 8 in the box means 3 defenders in the secondary. Walter, Jacoby and Bryant will do their part. But the matchups I LOVE will be Owen Daniels and James Casey on the LBs that have to drop in coverage or the safeties that come up leaving Jacoby/Walter in 1on1 situations. I suspect we'll see play action back in the game plan!

On the defense, we just need to continue to limit the big plays. The Raiders are a team all about speed and they've got some quick receivers. Keep them in front. Connor, Demeco and Cushing will probably be eyeing McFadden a lot and trying to limit his gains.

Texans with the W.
#99 JJ Watt - Dream Big Work Hard
Ole Miss Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011   #26
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

I'd like to see how they'll respond to a no back set..... three TEs, two recievers.... Line Casey up in the slot, then motion to the backfield, with another pitch
Old 10-05-2011   #27
Trail.Blazr
All Pro

Rep Power: 19086 Trail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respected

This is simply a TRAP game. If there is one spot in the season that losing a game that should be won has any significant bearing on the Texans, it's this game. Don't even allow this team to go there.(again)

What needs to happen is the Texans to take this game and make a challenge to themselves... Not just to win, but to win all 4 quarters. Don't let up. Play on the edge the entire 60 minutes. Get that swagger.

The carry over effect for the rest of the season would be HUGE.
Old 10-05-2011   #28
TexansForTheW
Veteran

Rep Power: 323 TexansForTheW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansForTheW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansForTheW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansForTheW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansForTheW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansForTheW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansForTheW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansForTheW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansForTheW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansForTheW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansForTheW is a quality contributor and well respected

Our run defense is actually very good at times. It's not the personel that gets gashed, it's the scheme. We seem to get several stuffs around the line of scrimmage per game because of our aggressive defense that blows through the O-line. The problem is, is that sometimes guards and tackles are pulled through one or two gaps and we may only have two guys assigned to that specific gap. We need better pursuit, and that is where our problem has been. We need a giant game from Demeco this week, as he will be counted on to stop DMC after Cushing blows up the lead blocker.
TexansForTheW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011   #29
TheMatrix31
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 56462 TheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respected

I'd love to see us force Campbell into mistakes. McFadden can and probably will tear us up, but if Campbell throws a couple picks, and maybe fumbles once, I think we'll be fine. Got to convert those in to seven, though.
TheMatrix31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011   #30
hradhak
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 6498 hradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post

This is typical of some of DMC's big runs. Notice, a big run stuffing NT wouldn't help us as much as it didn't help the Patriots. This ISO is run off the left tackle.... See the LB there getting ready to take on the Full Back?

Our best option would be for Antonio to get up field in a hurry, make DMC have to make a decision in the backfield. Our LB needs to be able to beat that FB into the back field, The OLB on the play side has to stand his man up, push him back & force DMC back inside.
Agreed. It is going to be about our ends getting penetration. I'm hoping that Watt has a break out game here. Smith has been consistent as well.

So far our defense has been against relatively pass heavy teams and we have given up the run to go after the pass. I'm curious to see how they gameplan this game since the Raiders are probably the most balanced offense we've seen so far.
hradhak is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011   #31
Cerberus
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 71740 Cerberus is a quality contributor and well respectedCerberus is a quality contributor and well respectedCerberus is a quality contributor and well respectedCerberus is a quality contributor and well respectedCerberus is a quality contributor and well respectedCerberus is a quality contributor and well respectedCerberus is a quality contributor and well respectedCerberus is a quality contributor and well respectedCerberus is a quality contributor and well respectedCerberus is a quality contributor and well respectedCerberus is a quality contributor and well respected

Raiders Offense:

Very potent, as long as Jason Campbell gets to manage the offense and isn't asked to carry the team. Possibly one of the fastest Raider teams ever, and that is evident when you see McFadden, Ford, Heyward-Bey, Denarius Moore and Taiwan Jones run. These guys can be game breakers if not contained.

Raiders lost TE Zach Miller this past off-season to Seattle, but filled the void nicely with Kevin Boss.

The Raider's FB Marcel Reece is injured, which is a good thing for the Texans, as he often makes big plays downfield with his speed; he is a former WR from Oregon or some place in the Great Northwest.

Offensive line is young, but they are big and strong and are doing quite a good job opening holes for McFadden and Bush, while giving Campbell adequate time to throw. Wiz II (nephew of Steve) was named Offensive Player of the Week last week, a rarity for OL.

Raiders WRs are somewhat a weakness; however, DHB finally seems to be catching on, and Denarius Moore has been a rookie sensation though he does disappear at times. Jacoby Ford is just plain fast, and will go up to fight for the ball. Biggest problem with Raiders WR corps is their overall lack of experience and seasoning.

Raiders Defense:

Raiders have one of the best and deepest DL in the NFL with a rotation that includes Richard Seymour, Tommy Kelly, John Henderson, Lamarr Houston, Matt Shaugnessey, and others. Discipline seems to be the biggest issue with this bunch.

The LB corps is a weakness of the defense. Rolando McClain seems to be thinking and not playing in Bresnahan's defense. And Groves just tends to get abused. Wimbley does bring the heat to the QB at times.

Defensive backs are playing a little more zone this year, so they can keep an eye in the backfield to help out on run plays. Still, the Raiders like to play man-to-man, which is very effective IF the DL can put pressure on the QB. Stanford Routt will be dedicated to one side of the field, and will not be assigned the Texans best WR. Chris Johnson is injured, as is Michael Huff, so the DB opposite Routt will likely be the rookie C. Chekwa (sp?). Tyvon Branch at S is fairly under-rated, and is a decent enough safety.

Biggest problem with the Raiders defense, and it shows in the stats, is Bresnahan's bend-but-don't-break style of defense, which is only topped by the prevent-defense he uses at the end of the half or game when the other team needs to score. Rolondo McClain looks lost in Bresnahan's system, which slows down his reaction time. In some games, Bres will bring several blitz packages, but in games like last week against Brady he hardly ever blitzed.

Should be a good game, with each team scoring somewhere between the mid-20's and low-30's. Then again, that will depend on whether Campbell doesn't make any more bone-head plays like he did last week.

Last edited by Cerberus; 10-05-2011 at 05:07 PM.
Cerberus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011   #32
80tothezone
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 5079 80tothezone is a quality contributor and well respected80tothezone is a quality contributor and well respected80tothezone is a quality contributor and well respected80tothezone is a quality contributor and well respected80tothezone is a quality contributor and well respected80tothezone is a quality contributor and well respected80tothezone is a quality contributor and well respected80tothezone is a quality contributor and well respected80tothezone is a quality contributor and well respected80tothezone is a quality contributor and well respected80tothezone is a quality contributor and well respected

i look for a lot of play action this week. w/o dre they gonna go after the run... thing is that even w/o dre we still got passing weapons albeit inconsistant ones so they can't just 100% focus on the run... that being said it will be a close one and we need schaub to bring da Agame

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk
Old 10-05-2011   #33
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 154151 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by 80tothezone View Post
i look for a lot of play action this week. w/o dre they gonna go after the run... thing is that even w/o dre we still got passing weapons albeit inconsistant ones so they can't just 100% focus on the run... that being said it will be a close one and we need schaub to bring da Agame
Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
They are 32nd based on ypc.
The Raiders are going to load the box and play heavy man coverage. If the team can't run the ball, all that play action won't be effective. It's hard to overload the gaps when you have AJ on the field so it's gonna be interesting. With that in mind, the Raiders have given up 5.9 yards per attempt on ground. It's a historic number because you have to go back to the 1934 Cincinnati Reds to find a worse ypa (6.4).

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011   #34
BigBull17
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 6163 BigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny View Post
The Raiders are going to load the box and play heavy man coverage. If the team can't run the ball, all that play action won't be effective. It's hard to overload the gaps when you have AJ on the field so it's gonna be interesting. With that in mind, the Raiders have given up 5.9 yards per attempt on ground. It's a historic number because you have to go back to the 1934 Cincinnati Reds to find a worse ypa (6.4).
I think Play action will work. Remember two years ago when we couldn't run the ball for squat and the PA still got people. Matt is pretty damn good at the fake.
Old 10-05-2011   #35
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Something I have not seen much of...the RB draw.

Can do so much with it:

1. QB over Center, RB and FB in backfield. Motion the FB out to a wideout position (not a TE position, which would tip it off to be a run). Snap the ball, QB drops back and RB looks like he's about to block...BAM! handoff to the RB.

2. QB over Center, RB and FB in backfield. QB then moves back into a shotgun position...defense is now thinking it might be a pass, and at the snap you fake the pass and run the draw.

3. After running a true draw, you can come back and run a play-action draw where Foster or some other RB fakes the handoff exchange, and then shoots through the line and receives a flare pass from the QB.

At this point, you pretty much have the defense unsure of ANY look you're throwing at them pre-snap. So the Raiders want to try and stack the box to stop the inside draw plays and inside RB pass plays off the fake draw??? OK, we'll just throw a screen out to the sideline with Thor running the lead block on it and o-linemen racing out to seal off the edges for Foster.

Freeze the Raiders LBs, or at least make them have to sit and wait to see what's developing at the snap of the ball...and this offense will eat them up. That's when OD busts past a LB who is beginning to stare into our backfield for too long.

I want to see Schaub lay out some VERY deep passes to Jacoby too. He can run under anything Schaub can toss, IMO. This could be a good week to pickup Jacoby Jones in fantasy leagues (especially for a guy like me who owns Andre Johnson).
Old 10-05-2011   #36
drunkcookie
2 drunk 2 cook

Rep Power: 4923 drunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respected

I've been trying to get a feel for this game and something tells me it could really get out hand in the Texans' favor...

I know AJ's out but i don't see the Raider D being able to slow down the Texans offense consistantly enough to keep them under 24.. go on 'head, put nine in the box (and a jack if you want), OD, Drees and even Casey will pick you clean... And there is no doubt in my mind, Foster will get his if you go trying to stop these short passes... Try stopping them both and Jones is doing his Moss impersonation (if he brought Moss' hands)...

Then again, Schaub can forget he's QB'ing a 3-1 NFL team and start throwing junk that gets picked etc... That is possible, but my guess is that won't happen...

The HouTex D is what concerns me... They've got to stop the run but be aware of the pass... I think this is one of those games where the opponent may predict a relaxation on the part of the opposing D that has faced three straight pass-oriented offenses, believing that D will be extra concerned with the run and very little concerned with the pass.. i think the Raiders actually try switching dance partners a bit and try going pass-happy for a while because they think they've found something they can exploit on an unexpecting D... This means Manning will have a pick six (unless JoJo is seeking revenge)..

The Texans have a chance to put this one away early and go up big, and unless Tony Romo is spending his bye-week taking snaps from Chris Myers, the lead holds up...

Texans 31
raiders 14

*Predictions subject to change from right now up until kickoff, as drunkcookie has no belief whatsoever in the blahblah he just typed and will accept the notion he is dead wrong as it is likely so!

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk

...and Hell is coming with them!
drunkcookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011   #37
Cerberus
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 71740 Cerberus is a quality contributor and well respectedCerberus is a quality contributor and well respectedCerberus is a quality contributor and well respectedCerberus is a quality contributor and well respectedCerberus is a quality contributor and well respectedCerberus is a quality contributor and well respectedCerberus is a quality contributor and well respectedCerberus is a quality contributor and well respectedCerberus is a quality contributor and well respectedCerberus is a quality contributor and well respectedCerberus is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by drunkcookie View Post
The Texans have a chance to put this one away early and go up big...

Texans 31
raiders 14
It is going to be closer than that; especially after the way the Raiders played against the Patriots. No doubt, last week was the worst game of their season to date, and I expect the Raiders to bounce-back this week. Add that to the Texans emotional win versus the Steelers, and this game could go either way. I think the final score is going to be something like 30-27 or 32-28, and you can flip a coin as to which team wins.
Old 10-05-2011   #38
ziggy29
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 6653 ziggy29 is a quality contributor and well respectedziggy29 is a quality contributor and well respectedziggy29 is a quality contributor and well respectedziggy29 is a quality contributor and well respectedziggy29 is a quality contributor and well respectedziggy29 is a quality contributor and well respectedziggy29 is a quality contributor and well respectedziggy29 is a quality contributor and well respectedziggy29 is a quality contributor and well respectedziggy29 is a quality contributor and well respectedziggy29 is a quality contributor and well respected

Agreed with the "trap" comments above. This is a game the Texans should win but could very well lose if they don't play as they can.
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011   #39
BigBull17
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 6163 BigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cerberus View Post
It is going to be closer than that; especially after the way the Raiders played against the Patriots. No doubt, last week was the worst game of their season to date, and I expect the Raiders to bounce-back this week. Add that to the Texans emotional win versus the Steelers, and this game could go either way. I think the final score is going to be something like 30-27 or 32-28, and you can flip a coin as to which team wins.
20-10 Texans. Nice ball control style. I think our D will be able to contain McFadden by penitration.
Old 10-05-2011   #40
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Section: Channel 700-ish on NFL Sunday Ticket
Rep Power: 75191 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected

If they overload the box and Foster isn't effective, pull the flea-flicker out of the dustbin. In other words, try a trick play and catch them napping.
DocBar is online now   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read