Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 10-05-2011   #21
Air Canada
Veteran

Rep Power: 790 Air Canada is a quality contributor and well respectedAir Canada is a quality contributor and well respectedAir Canada is a quality contributor and well respectedAir Canada is a quality contributor and well respectedAir Canada is a quality contributor and well respectedAir Canada is a quality contributor and well respectedAir Canada is a quality contributor and well respectedAir Canada is a quality contributor and well respectedAir Canada is a quality contributor and well respectedAir Canada is a quality contributor and well respectedAir Canada is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: New Power Rankings Texans moving up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texanmike View Post
If you forced me to rank the Texans I would say they are 10 or 11. Contrary to popular opinion we don't have a quality win. We looked great against Indy, kind of shaky against Miami great and terrible vs the Saints and good but penalty prone vs the Steelers.

I'm still worried about the redzone. I'm still worried about our ability to get off the field on 3rd down. I have a lot of worries. There is a lot to be excited about but this is not an elite team yet. We are a 2nd tier team so far.

Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
Yeah, I'd put us in the 10-13 range until we win a few more games against better opponents. And unfortunately, that's about where I put the Titans.
This is funny.... Everyone does know that these are THE 2011 NFL POWER RANKINGS??? Not the 2009-11 Power Rankings or not the NFL Franchise Power Rankings(where we'd be close to the basement)... RIGHT?

Putting Houston in the top 5 or 6 is completely fine... It doesn't go by how impressive you wanna believe they've been or not... It's about how they've looked in relation to the other teams ALSO ranked... And they look that good... There are more teams that you can look at and pick apart their performances and say they've performed worse. Some of which that are also 3-1 and many that are mediocre.
Air Canada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011   #22
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Rankings are just opinions.

That said, before the steelers game folks were saying that was the barometer game. Now since we beat them the steelers aren't that good and the win didn't mean as much.

I hope we win the ravens game, but we could lose that game and still go on to have a very good season. We could lose that game and beat them in the playoffs.

Personally I don't believe in barometer games. I look at how a team is playing and the texans, as a team, are playing like a top 10 club. One terrible quarter against a top 5 team with a top 5 qb, on the road, without our main redzone threat.

Last years 3-1 was ugly. We've actually played defense this year and really punch opponents in the mouth. Our talent is better and the d coaching is better. In no way shape or form has this 3-1 start been the same as last years.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011   #23
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 240492 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
Personally I don't believe in barometer games. I look at how a team is playing and the texans, as a team, are playing like a top 10 club. One terrible quarter against a top 5 team with a top 5 qb, on the road, without our main redzone threat.
You can only play the team in front of you & you can only handle the situations you are put in. I get that.

But I am very worried about our offense & that was with Aj in the line up. That first drive against Pittsburgh was probably the most impressive of the season & probably the only impressive one so far. We get the ball on offense, I don't think we are likely to score.. I haven't checked the numbers, but it feels like less than 50% of our possessions end in a score.

I have faith in Kubiak to fix that, even without Aj, but I'll be uneasy until we do.

Still, with that in mind I think the Power Rankings are as accurate as they have ever been. The Saints, have no quality wins & looked a yard short on their one loss, same as us. They lost to the #1 team, we lost to the #4 or 5 team. Every other team in the AFC appears to have issues, Patriots, Steelers, Colts, Chargers..... with the exception of the Bills. But the Bills are fighting history, just like we are.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
Last years 3-1 was ugly. We've actually played defense this year and really punch opponents in the mouth. Our talent is better and the d coaching is better. In no way shape or form has this 3-1 start been the same as last years.
I agree with this. We "should" have lost the Washington game.. there was one play that kept us in that game. Oakland ran out of time, we disappeared in the second half, they were making a come back & we couldn't stop them.

Colts never had a chance this year, neither had the Dolphins, neither did the Steelers. All three teams were outplayed from beginning to end.

Outplayed by our team.
Old 10-05-2011   #24
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 253531 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Rankings are opinions. Every week, the rankings change as this team beats that team or this team loses a player or whatever.

They have no predictive ability whatsoever.

The Texans are 3-1. Just like last year. They have beaten two teams that absolutely suck and one team that MAY absolutely suck. They played one team that is expected to be a contender very hard.

We have a good team.

But we haven't made the playoffs, yet. Last year, sitting at 4-2, I didn't think there was any way in hell that this team could possibly go 1-5 over the next 6 games. But they did. They found amazing ways to lose games that by all rights, they should have won.

We have a great offense and it's been great for a few years (thanks to Kubiak.) BUT. Although our running game has been clicking pretty well so far, our RB situation is sketchy with all the injuries. That scares me. The passing game has not been very potent this year. That worries me.

Our defense is already head and shoulders better than anything we've had since the first year of our existence. Our stars are actually starting to look like stars. BUT. Our defense really hasn't been tested on the ground like it's going to be the next few weeks. That scares me.

I'm not saying that we won't go 6-1 and be a powerhouse in the AFC. With all the other front-runners in the AFC developing bad cases of warts all of a sudden, we could surge to the forefront and be the best team in the AFC this season.

But at this point last season, I was thinking almost the same thing. Those of you who are familiar with my posts know that I've defended Smithiak and been one of the Rainbow party guys all off-season. (Even though I thought Kubiak should have been fired after last season, I'm fine with keeping him around. I don't hate Kubiak, I just thought last season was a disappointment.)

So, excuse me if I'm not putting the Texans in the top 5 teams in the league just yet after two victories against very weak teams. I want to see a bit more before I'm confident that they've got the mental stamina to do what it takes to climb up into the Elite status of the league.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011   #25
DexmanC
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 37204 DexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respected

Injuries should be no excuse for the Texans. Every team goes through it, but the better
teams win anyway. How many players did the Packers have on I'D last year? Did
Charles Woodson play in the SUPERBOWL? How bout the Chicago Bears?

Good coaches can keep their players focused over 4 quarters, every game.
Kubiak has not yet been able to do that. As long as Kubiak is here, and his results
remain the same, so shall the words said about him be the same.

After four games, we've seen nothing that indicates this team has actually taken
that proverbial "next step."
Old 10-05-2011   #26
houstonspartan
Hall of Fame

Section: 324, row N, seats 3 and 4
Rep Power: 29405 houstonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by DexmanC View Post
Injuries should be no excuse for the Texans. Every team goes through it, but the better

Kubiak has not yet been able to do that. As long as Kubiak is here, and his results

After four games, we've seen nothing that indicates this team has actually taken
Agree about the injuries. I'm a little worried, though, that Andre's injury may have saved Kubiak if we don't go to the playoffs.

Sad, but true.
houstonspartan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011   #27
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by srrono View Post
NFL.com
Top 10

1 GB
2 NO
3 DET
4 NE
5 HOU
6 BALT
7 BUF
8 SD
9 TB
10 WASH
5 is about right, for the moment. After watching quite a bit of football this season I don't think there are that many teams with a decided advantage over this current group. Take Andre out of the equation and I think it's a different story though. Take away AJ and we have a group of back up wr's and will have to throw tons of short stuff. I don't think this offense is going to do "exceptionally well" long term without AJ drawing his usual double and triple teams.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 10-05-2011   #28
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 213638 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texanmike View Post
If you forced me to rank the Texans I would say they are 10 or 11. Contrary to popular opinion we don't have a quality win. We looked great against Indy, kind of shaky against Miami great and terrible vs the Saints and good but penalty prone vs the Steelers.

I'm still worried about the redzone. I'm still worried about our ability to get off the field on 3rd down. I have a lot of worries. There is a lot to be excited about but this is not an elite team yet. We are a 2nd tier team so far.

Mike
Quote:
Yeah, I'd put us in the 10-13 range until we win a few more games against better opponents. And unfortunately, that's about where I put the Titans.
Power rankings are nothing more than a weekly "beauty contest". So I have no issue with us being "better looking" - this week mind you - than the majority of the other girls on the runway.

Let me ask it this way:
You guys say we're not quite in the top ten, right? So tell me the 9 or 10 teams that you believe are arguably better than the Texans - through week #4 in 2011. No other data is applicable. It's a "right now" beauty contest after all, so how cute or ugly you were last year is irrelevant (unless you're the Patriots ).
ObsiWan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011   #29
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 213638 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

That's right, dammit!!

Signed, The Peyton-less Indy Colts

....Oh and Charles Woodson DID play in the Super Bowl.
ObsiWan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011   #30
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 331516 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
teams win anyway. How many players did the Packers have on I'D last year?
Was one of them Aaron Rodgers or Clay Mathews? Injuries are not always an excuse, neither are they irrelevant. Who gets injured matters.

Quote:
Every game huh? So I guess for the past 2.25 seasons when we have frequently beat up on teams for a half, all those teams didn't have good coaches right? Tomlin, Peyton, Harbaugh, etc. those halves or three quarters of games where the Texans beat up on them mean they aren't good.

Quote:
Yeah, cuz last year we had only let opposing teams have a lead for 6 out of 240 minutes of playing time.
Old 10-05-2011   #31
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 240492 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
But we haven't made the playoffs, yet. Last year, sitting at 4-2, I didn't think there was any way in hell that this team could possibly go 1-5 over the next 6 games. But they did. They found amazing ways to lose games that by all rights, they should have won.
I thought there was no way we'd get to 5-7

No way

Quote:
So, excuse me if I'm not putting the Texans in the top 5 teams in the league just yet after two victories against very weak teams. I want to see a bit more before I'm confident that they've got the mental stamina to do what it takes to climb up into the Elite status of the league.
They could flat out dominate every team from here to the bye & be 9-1 then fall on their face for what ever reason & finish 9-7.

It's just an opinion, like you said. If you don't feel like they are playing like a top 5 team, that's fine, which 5 teams do you think are playing better than them. But don't punish them for what might happen three weeks from now.

I only have three teams playing better than the Texans right now. Green Bay, New Orleans, & Buffalo. Then I've got a three way tie, Titans, Texans, & Lions.

This season looks wide open to me.
Old 10-05-2011   #32
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
Every game huh? So I guess for the past 2.25 seasons when we have frequently beat up on teams for a half, all those teams didn't have good coaches right? Tomlin, Peyton, Harbaugh, etc. those halves or three quarters of games where the Texans beat up on them mean they aren't good.
2+2=5

I wondered why no one else could add like we do.

I never understood why the "Texans are unprepared" if we come out flat, or Kubiak couldn't "motivate" or "adjust in the second half" if we "ran out of gas" but the other team always managed to "out-coach" us.
Old 10-05-2011   #33
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 253531 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
They could flat out dominate every team from here to the bye & be 9-1 then fall on their face for what ever reason & finish 9-7.

It's just an opinion, like you said. If you don't feel like they are playing like a top 5 team, that's fine, which 5 teams do you think are playing better than them. But don't punish them for what might happen three weeks from now.

I only have three teams playing better than the Texans right now. Green Bay, New Orleans, & Buffalo. Then I've got a three way tie, Titans, Texans, & Lions.

This season looks wide open to me.
Like I said, power rankings are opinions. I'm not punishing anyone. I'm just saying that in my opinion, the Texans haven't proved to me that they're a top 5 team.

Right now, MY power ranking goes something like this:

1. Green Bay
2. Detroit
3. New England
4. New Orleans
5. Baltimore
6. San Diego
7. Buffalo
8. Houston
9. NYG
10. Tennessee

Earlier in the thread, I said that the Texans seemed like more of a 11-15 ranked team. BUT... I was wrong. After looking at the actual teams out there and some of the weaknesses in these teams, I put us at 8.

I just want/need the Texans to keep it going and show me this isn't a mirage like last year.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011   #34
DexmanC
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 37204 DexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
Was one of them Aaron Rodgers or Clay Mathews? Injuries are not always an excuse, neither are they irrelevant. Who gets injured matters.

Yeah, cuz last year we had only let opposing teams have a lead for 6 out of 240 minutes of playing time.
I said that injuries are not an excuse for THE TEXANS. Their defense is relatively healthy,
their quarterback is healthy, Arian Foster is back, and they have 3 decent tightends.
Andre Johnson does not factor into the Texans win/loss NEARLY as much as Peyton
Manning does to Indy.

As long as the Texans can prevent the other team from getting the lead when
the clock reads 0:00, I don't have a problem. We've seen this squad put up
impressive stats an highlights, get featured on "21st & Prime," only to go
on and LOSE THE GAME. We should be tired of that by now.
Old 10-05-2011   #35
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 249976 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

The only thing power rankings are good for is knowing what other people think of your team. Right now, folks think highly of the Texans. Actually, it would appear these sports writers think more highly of the Texans than I do. LOL

It's nice change though. I wonder what everyone will be thinking after the Baltimore game?

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011   #36
DexmanC
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorn View Post
The only thing power rankings are good for is knowing what other people think of your team. Right now, folks think highly of the Texans. Actually, it would appear these sports writers think more highly of the Texans than I do. LOL

It's nice change though. I wonder what everyone will be thinking after the Baltimore game?
That's definitely one game that could change MY opinion of this team.
Old 10-06-2011   #37
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 184609 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorn View Post

I think without AJ on the field the Texans have a hard time beating the Ravens.
AJ draws so much attention on every play that it creates opportunities for everyone else .... Against the Raiders , I think they can compensate by pounding the ball at them early and often , against the Ravens , they have to threaten the Safeties vertically to open up the run game and mid range passes. If they dont challenge the Ravens deep and allow them to put 8 or mre in the box , its gonna be a long day.

This one being in Baltimore makes it even tougher .... They better hope they dont fall behind early .

Hope is a poor mans disease.
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011   #38
SuperSerial
Rookie

Rep Power: 0 SuperSerial is a quality contributor and well respectedSuperSerial is a quality contributor and well respectedSuperSerial is a quality contributor and well respectedSuperSerial is a quality contributor and well respectedSuperSerial is a quality contributor and well respectedSuperSerial is a quality contributor and well respectedSuperSerial is a quality contributor and well respectedSuperSerial is a quality contributor and well respectedSuperSerial is a quality contributor and well respectedSuperSerial is a quality contributor and well respectedSuperSerial is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrosion View Post
I feel the same way about Gary as many of you do about the team .... what the **** does he have to do to get some respect ?

Top 5 offense the last couple years ? Check!

Top5 defense (points allowed - the one that counts) Check!!!!

Winning record 3-1 with the loss coming on the road to a contender - Check!!!!!!!

His players believe in him 100% and lay it on the line for him every week - CheckMate.

Mate in four makes you a moron ....

He needs to learn how to call offensive plays, control the flow of the game, control the clock, and keep opposing offenses (especially better offenses) off the field. He also needs to learn not to panic and launch an all out air assault when behind. It's a recipe for a loss nearly every time. The 4th quarter of the Saints game was a perfect example.
SuperSerial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011   #39
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 184609 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSerial View Post
He needs to learn how to call offensive plays, control the flow of the game, control the clock, and keep opposing offenses (especially better offenses) off the field. He also needs to learn not to panic and launch an all out air assault when behind. It's a recipe for a loss nearly every time. The 4th quarter of the Saints game was a perfect example.
How you blame that 4th quarter on the offense is beyond me - Much of that was just Brees making plays where there were no plays to be made - take the 3rd down shovel pass for example. Brees was sacked dead to rights and he made a positive play out of it instead.

Hell despite the fact that they gave up 23 in that quarter - they scored 14. Anytime you put up a 30 spot you expect to win.

How many FG's did the offense settle for in the 1st half because they didnt execute in the redzone - Three trips inside the TEN and they come away with 9 points.

Yep , blame Kubiak .....

Hope is a poor mans disease.
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011   #40
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
Earlier in the thread, I said that the Texans seemed like more of a 11-15 ranked team. BUT... I was wrong. After looking at the actual teams out there and some of the weaknesses in these teams, I put us at 8.
That's good stuff right there, that's what it should be about.
Quote:
I just want/need the Texans to keep it going and show me this isn't a mirage like last year.
Totally understand this. But, I don't think last year was a mirage. We knew they weren't playing very well at this time last year on either side of the ball, though we didn't want to admit it. We thought getting Cushing back was going to help some on Defense, then we lost Demeco & Mario, two of our best players on the leagues worse defense.

Offensively, we knew they weren't firing on all cylinders coming out of the gate & that they were not going to be able to cover for a bad defense. I thought we would work it out sometime during the season, but they never really did.

This year, what we know is that our offense still doesn't look quite right & we've lost Aj for who knows how long. We hope a strong running game will help us get through. We hope our other receivers will step up. We hope that we haven't lost Ward & Tate for much longer.

Defensively, we know we have trouble stopping the run consistently. We don't know how much that is going to hurt us.

We also know every other team has their own issues to sort out. It's up to our coaches to do a better job of dealing with what is real than the other coaches in the league. Last year, it is obvious we were ill equipped to do so, especially defensively.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read