Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read


Mock Draft Talk Mock Drafts, group Mocks and links to all the shamockery.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-04-2011   #1
badboy
Site Contributor
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Clear Lake
Posts: 23,203
Rep Power: 145918 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected
Default 2012 draft mock:newest

As most understand, my mock suggestions fluctuate based on how Texans do and how college prospects do in their games. I use many sources, especially my mock partners Rmartin65 (welcome back from Russia) and Beerlover, whose thought, research & opinions are greatly appreciated. A disclosure goes here as neither has particpated in this mock other than our annually ongoing debate so any screwups are mine alone.
I prep the following by saying I see minimal improvement at CB2 and doubt any trade (Asante) will be done. I advocate a return to CB2 by Cosby Quin. He is doing excellent @ safety and I posted for this move all last season, but it is time to stop the bleeding. I predicted 15-1 but my mock is set up on #25.

1. Safety: Robert Lester Alabama 6'2" 210 4.51 some are rated ahead of him but he is my guy. Big time player, big time school, big time competition. I start him opposite Manning who I place behind Quin. Lester supports Joseph.

2. WR #2: Kendall Wright Baylor 5'10" 190 4.42 has run 4.32 unofficially. He plays with Heisman candidate Griffin QB and should have explosive year. Wright has 4 games with 40 catches and 621 yds (15.5 avg). Against Kansas State last Sat in a losing effort, he had 9 receptions for 201 (22.3) 7 TDs in 2011 He makes unbelievable catches and is a compliment to AJ in that he can go deep and take defense off AJ.

3. Nose T: Donateri Poe Memphis 6'5" 330 5.26. I like Ta'Amu but he needs to show some skills and prob would go round 2. This give me a long term answer @ critical position with a later pick.

4. ILB/OLB: Emmanuel Acho U.
Texas 6'2" 245 is playing well & seems healthy after knee injury last season.

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings...012&genpos=ILB

http://www.texassports.com/sports/m-...mmanuel00.html

5. Center/T: Philip Blake Baylor 6'2" 320 5.26 & blocks for Heisman candidate & was a 12 game starter in 2010 at center. 12 game starter @ RT in 2009. Has time behind our Oline to train. Age is a factor but should get 6 years in NFL and it is time to start building depth.

6. SS/FS/CB: Winston Guy Kentucky 6' 1" 210 4.49 (4.39). I really like him but cannot decide where he will be drafted. Moved him down this week as play has only been adequate as his team gets stomped weekly. Allows us to cut Barber and a corner.

2010: 106 tackles, 3 INTs 2 pass breakups.

7. CB: Tashaun Gibson Wyoming 6'0 195 4.49 some have him going in 5th but I think he slides. This season he has 21 tackles (1 for loss) & 2 passes broken up and has a fumble.

__________________
I want to be able to recognize the difference between a "want" and a "need" and then I want to be satisfied with getting a need
badboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011   #2
Wolf6151
Hall of Fame
 
Wolf6151's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Pearland, Texas
Posts: 3,330
Rep Power: 27154 Wolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: 2012 draft mock:newest

1. Lester, he and McDonald are probably the best in a weak Safety class and I don't think that either are worth a 1st round pick. It's not a bad pick but I think it could be spent better and I don't think Kubiak will ever spend a 1st at Safety especially after moving Quin and getting Manning in FA.

2. Wright, I don't know anything about the guy but I think it's to early for a WR.

3. Poe, I need to read up on this guy I'm not familiar with him. I like Ta'amu in the late 1st better. I've seen Ta'amu going as high as 13th in some mocks.

4. Acho, I like his play and size. Good depth pick.

5. Blake, I like him but have read that he's a project player that will need time to develop. Good depth pick, not bad in the 5th.

6. Guy, I'm starting to like this guy as well but Walter has him listed as a 3-4th round pick and likely isn't available this far down.

7. Gibson, never heard of him.
Wolf6151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011   #3
Dutchrudder 
COOL BEANS!
 
Dutchrudder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Houston
Section: Fort Kickass
Age: 30
Posts: 15,063
Rep Power: 150980 Dutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: 2012 draft mock:newest

Quote:
Safety: Robert Lester Alabama
Do we really want another Bama DB?

__________________
Life is too important to be taken seriously. -Oscar Wilde
Dutchrudder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011   #4
Wolf6151
Hall of Fame
 
Wolf6151's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Pearland, Texas
Posts: 3,330
Rep Power: 27154 Wolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: 2012 draft mock:newest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchrudder View Post
Do we really want another Bama DB?
Just because one guy from a University might not be any good, and the jury is still out on KJ, doesn't mean another guy might not be great. Every University has had players that were busts.
Wolf6151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011   #5
badboy
Site Contributor
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Clear Lake
Posts: 23,203
Rep Power: 145918 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: 2012 draft mock:newest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf6151 View Post
1. Lester, he and McDonald are probably the best in a weak Safety class and I don't think that either are worth a 1st round pick. It's not a bad pick but I think it could be spent better and I don't think Kubiak will ever spend a 1st at Safety especially after moving Quin and getting Manning in FA.

2. Wright, I don't know anything about the guy but I think it's to early for a WR.

3. Poe, I need to read up on this guy I'm not familiar with him. I like Ta'amu in the late 1st better. I've seen Ta'amu going as high as 13th in some mocks.

4. Acho, I like his play and size. Good depth pick.

5. Blake, I like him but have read that he's a project player that will need time to develop. Good depth pick, not bad in the 5th.

6. Guy, I'm starting to like this guy as well but Walter has him listed as a 3-4th round pick and likely isn't available this far down.

7. Gibson, never heard of him.
Thanks for comments. I too had Alemeda Ta'Amu rated higher (2nd) but was told that he had not looked to good and am hesitant. If I can get a starter (poe) in 3rd opens up other picks. See where I'm coming from?

I think Lester wil be a sound player and could start in place of Quin who I move to CB2. DOn't want to but see no other choice. I would draft a CB in first but none are sure starters @#25. I agree with your assessment on safeties but I liked Lester last year and we debated going with him in 2nd if he came out.

Watch Wright if you can, the kid is really good.
__________________
I want to be able to recognize the difference between a "want" and a "need" and then I want to be satisfied with getting a need
badboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011   #6
badboy
Site Contributor
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Clear Lake
Posts: 23,203
Rep Power: 145918 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: 2012 draft mock:newest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchrudder View Post
Do we really want another Bama DB?

My second year to watch Lester and KJ. I liked the first but not the latter. We have DB coaches now.

What set up this mock is lack of a #2 corner. Just ain't happening. We can talk about Harris, McMannis, Kj or Allen and none have shown me much if anything.
__________________
I want to be able to recognize the difference between a "want" and a "need" and then I want to be satisfied with getting a need
badboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011   #7
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame
 
steelbtexan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Age: 51
Posts: 11,960
Rep Power: 81973 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: 2012 draft mock:newest

1. Lester- Good player, 1st rd is too high for my tastes.
2. Wright- Love this pick.
3. Poe- I've read he's a 1/2nd rd pick.
4. Acho- Like the pick but would rather have Keenan Robinson
5. Blake- Good project player
6. Guy- Dont know anything about him
7. See above
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 10-04-2011   #8
beerlover
Site Contributor
 
beerlover's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 12,397
Rep Power: 55882 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: 2012 draft mock:newest

I like to stay with trench guys who have versatility because depth & playing hard 60 minutes is tough buisness. DT/OT & vise versa. Then sprinkle in skill positions that fit system with emphasis still on D.

By taking a DE/DT (Watt) this really opened up the edge for Mario & lanes for Barwin to pass through, along with Antonio playing his more natural position. I would say NT is a clear need if you don't force the pick. I also think a swing tackle/RG to add some beef & depth for protection along with run game is critical as well.

Probably have to take a WR in the 3rd, like Wright here. This is one position as we've seen when Andre goes down is not very deep (maybe they make a trade for one before the deadline which would take this off the list?). Then you could look @ ILB depth or CB.

thanks, Badboy for your input.
__________________

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011   #9
badboy
Site Contributor
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Clear Lake
Posts: 23,203
Rep Power: 145918 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: 2012 draft mock:newest

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover View Post
I like to stay with trench guys who have versatility because depth & playing hard 60 minutes is tough buisness. DT/OT & vise versa. Then sprinkle in skill positions that fit system with emphasis still on D.

By taking a DE/DT (Watt) this really opened up the edge for Mario & lanes for Barwin to pass through, along with Antonio playing his more natural position. I would say NT is a clear need if you don't force the pick. I also think a swing tackle/RG to add some beef & depth for protection along with run game is critical as well.

Probably have to take a WR in the 3rd, like Wright here. This is one position as we've seen when Andre goes down is not very deep (maybe they make a trade for one before the deadline which would take this off the list?). Then you could look @ ILB depth or CB.

thanks, Badboy for your input.
One of the reasons I went with Blake, he can play at least 2 positions center and RT. Not sure if he can play guard. I think we have to keep in mind that neither Duane Brown or Myers is gonna be replaced or switched. Smith is solid a LG and I do not see any tackle beating Winston in 2012 like it or not. I looked hard at a OG but could not see giving a first for a back up or one that "might beat out" our RG. We must rectify WR2 and CB2 & those are starter roles. Our Oline did very well against Steelers & overall are consider very good. Butler going down could yet be a big blow to our season.

I considered an OT like Nate Potter but jst6 oculd not convince myself and still fill the other holes. Maybe one more good draft and we will not be filling holes.

Thanks for all comments, guys.
__________________
I want to be able to recognize the difference between a "want" and a "need" and then I want to be satisfied with getting a need
badboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011   #10
Corrosion
Hall of Fame
 
Corrosion's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Northwest Houston
Age: 46
Posts: 31,238
Rep Power: 183481 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: 2012 draft mock:newest

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
1. Lester- Good player, 1st rd is too high for my tastes.
2. Wright- Love this pick.
3. Poe- I've read he's a 1/2nd rd pick.
4. Acho- Like the pick but would rather have Keenan Robinson
5. Blake- Good project player
6. Guy- Dont know anything about him
7. See above
If he keeps this level up play up , he wnt last till late 2nd round ..... Too bad he's not a couple inches taller ..... he'd be a sure fire first rounder.
__________________



Hope is a poor mans disease.
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011   #11
rmartin65
I'm Score
 
rmartin65's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Age: 24
Posts: 7,975
Rep Power: 63828 rmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: 2012 draft mock:newest

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
1. Safety: Robert Lester Alabama 6'2" 210 4.51 some are rated ahead of him but he is my guy. Big time player, big time school, big time competition. I start him opposite Manning who I place behind Quin. Lester supports Joseph.

2. WR #2: Kendall Wright Baylor 5'10" 190 4.42 has run 4.32 unofficially. He plays with Heisman candidate Griffin QB and should have explosive year. Wright has 4 games with 40 catches and 621 yds (15.5 avg). Against Kansas State last Sat in a losing effort, he had 9 receptions for 201 (22.3) 7 TDs in 2011 He makes unbelievable catches and is a compliment to AJ in that he can go deep and take defense off AJ.

3. Nose T: Donateri Poe Memphis 6'5" 330 5.26. I like Ta'Amu but he needs to show some skills and prob would go round 2. This give me a long term answer @ critical position with a later pick.

4. ILB/OLB: Emmanuel Acho U.
Texas 6'2" 245 is playing well & seems healthy after knee injury last season.

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings...012&genpos=ILB

http://www.texassports.com/sports/m-...mmanuel00.html

5. Center/T: Philip Blake Baylor 6'2" 320 5.26 & blocks for Heisman candidate & was a 12 game starter in 2010 at center. 12 game starter @ RT in 2009. Has time behind our Oline to train. Age is a factor but should get 6 years in NFL and it is time to start building depth.

6. SS/FS/CB: Winston Guy Kentucky 6' 1" 210 4.49 (4.39). I really like him but cannot decide where he will be drafted. Moved him down this week as play has only been adequate as his team gets stomped weekly. Allows us to cut Barber and a corner.

2010: 106 tackles, 3 INTs 2 pass breakups.

7. CB: Tashaun Gibson Wyoming 6'0 195 4.49 some have him going in 5th but I think he slides. This season he has 21 tackles (1 for loss) & 2 passes broken up and has a fumble.

Nice work!

Lester is a good player, but I dont know about picking a safety this early. Manning is a stud, and Quin has proven to be a starting caliber SS. I would not be angry at the pick should it come to pass, but I would prefer another position.

I think we are all thinking a WR in the early rounds, and I have absolutely no qualms about Wright.

Poe is a good pick, should be a starter at NT. Big guy with good athleticism. Wont ever be like Ngata, but he will not be a weakness upfront.

Acho- I would probably go with another player here, but it could be my bias against UT raising it's head due to the upcoming game.

I really like Blake, and I am not too concerned about his age. Unless you have 2 equally rated prospects, you take the guy that you think has a better chance at contributing.

Guy is a nice pick. He was all over the field against LSU.

I dont think Gibson ever plays in the NFL. He has good size/athleticism, but he gets beat on the field way too much against subpar competition.
rmartin65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011   #12
southcarolina45
Rookie
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 3
Rep Power: 0 southcarolina45 is ridin' the pine
Default Re: 2012 draft mock:newest

Delvin Johnson Marshall 6-3 312 sleeper NT/DT
7games- 23tackles,6tfl,4qbh,1/2 sack,1fumble recovery,1pbu
southcarolina45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011   #13
badboy
Site Contributor
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Clear Lake
Posts: 23,203
Rep Power: 145918 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: 2012 draft mock:newest

Quote:
Originally Posted by southcarolina45 View Post
Delvin Johnson Marshall 6-3 312 sleeper NT/DT
7games- 23tackles,6tfl,4qbh,1/2 sack,1fumble recovery,1pbu
45, we no likee little NTs. We want bigun.
__________________
I want to be able to recognize the difference between a "want" and a "need" and then I want to be satisfied with getting a need
badboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:17 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Ad Management by RedTyger