Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 09-25-2011   #1
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 233666 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss
Default Eric Winston

What did you think about Winston this week?

Personally, against guys like he saw today, I think he's more than adequate. Those smaller, athletic, speedy guys give him trouble.

But that's football.

I didn't mean to start a "get rid of Winston" thread last week. Like every player, he's got his strengths & he's got his weaknesses. It's up to our coaches to get the most out of every player.

Many of us recognized the mismatch last week. What did our team do to help him?
:crickets:

& that was really my point.

Did anyone see how the Saints "handled" Mario today? He'd pass a TE, then he's got to deal with the Tackle. He beats a tackle, then he's got to deal with a RB.

Elite...

We've got a good offense, but we aren't elite. Maybe the coach is holding us back, but our offense needs to take another step if we are going to be where we want to be.
Old 09-25-2011   #2
TexCanada
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 6655 TexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Eric Winston

I thought Winston was pretty solid today, but there were a few plays where we attempted to run the ball where our whole O-line got pushed back. I still think they need to get a bit tougher when the game gets really intense.
TexCanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011   #3
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 181073 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Hell of an improvement over last week .... accept for the result on the scoreboard.

Hope is a poor mans disease.
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011   #4
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 233666 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexCanada View Post
I thought Winston was pretty solid today, but there were a few plays where we attempted to run the ball where our whole O-line got pushed back. I still think they need to get a bit tougher when the game gets really intense.
How many plays to the right did you see in the second half?

Why? That's our strength..... running to the left we put Winston on the backside of the play.... not very smart.
Old 09-25-2011   #5
welsh texan
Lest we forget

Rep Power: 22601 welsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm beginning to believe that this whole offense is built to run the ball.

As bad as our running game was for so long under kubiak, and as much passing as we've done in the past, I'm beginning to believe that the whole point of this offense is to run the ball so well on teams that they can't effectively defend the pass, and thats why it opens up through the air.

We all used to think Kubiak was joking when he talked about running to open up the pass, because we couldn't run very well, well now we do.

I reckon the O-line not only is more suited to run blocking, but has been deliberately coached that way ever since Gibbs first came in.

Thats why Winston loses out against the pass, its all by design.

I think Schaub needs to improve in recognising the pressure, moving in the pocket, and checking down to his options.

That would make the pass blocking look a whole load better.
We will remember them.
welsh texan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011   #6
Scooter
Funky

Rep Power: 103631 Scooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
Personally, against guys like he saw today, I think he's more than adequate. Those smaller, athletic, speedy guys give him trouble.
right on. against a 4-3 and bigger ends, he's going to win the physical battle almost every time. nobody's going to out-muscle or out-hustle winston. the trouble is half the league runs a 3-4 and half of the 4-3 teams have swapped to smaller/speedier ends. that's the problem, he's a trench player playing the tackle position against small pass rushers - his weakness. i know that his height and "short arms" arent favorable inside, but he's only going to get a favorable matchup like this a few times each season - and is more often a liability as you pointed out last week.

Quote:
Did anyone see how the Saints "handled" Mario today? He'd pass a TE, then he's got to deal with the Tackle. He beats a tackle, then he's got to deal with a RB.
very good gameplan by the saints against mario, they didnt double team him traditionally, they went at him in layers. a lot of teams will A+B mario, but he can overpower 2 guys and he can run past 2 as well. the saints went one further in that they went A and then C on him. mario isnt known for his moves or his quick thinking, so by making him separately pass two defenders he was effectively neutralized.
Old 09-25-2011   #7
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Section: Channel 700-ish on NFL Sunday Ticket
Rep Power: 93451 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected

Bench Winston and trade Mario!!!!
Just doing my part since the sky is falling and all.
DocBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 09-25-2011   #8
Surreal McCoy
All Pro

Rep Power: 13529 Surreal McCoy is a quality contributor and well respectedSurreal McCoy is a quality contributor and well respectedSurreal McCoy is a quality contributor and well respectedSurreal McCoy is a quality contributor and well respectedSurreal McCoy is a quality contributor and well respectedSurreal McCoy is a quality contributor and well respectedSurreal McCoy is a quality contributor and well respectedSurreal McCoy is a quality contributor and well respectedSurreal McCoy is a quality contributor and well respectedSurreal McCoy is a quality contributor and well respectedSurreal McCoy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Elite...
Sorry TK, I usually agree with your posts but this one I'm shakin' my head. I've just re-watched the game and Mario rarely got by anyone, much less two levels. On the two plays he did beat his blocker, the first one he got faked out of his jock by Brees, and the second he made a weak attempt at an arm tackle for the sack.

I'm not saying trade him or bench or any such nonsense, but I sure would like to see his cap number come in line with his production in big games.
Surreal McCoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011   #9
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Eric had a great game. I may be his biggest detractor, but he stepped up & did his thang in both the passing game & the run game... props.

I was worried about how Winston was going to handle Polamalu coming around the edge.. I had always seen Troy come around the right end. I don't think he ever came around the right end during this game when we were throwing the ball. Here is Troy Polamalu coming around the left end & Duane Brown doing his thang

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surreal McCoy View Post
Sorry TK, I usually agree with your posts but this one I'm shakin' my head. I've just re-watched the game and Mario rarely got by anyone, much less two levels.
Here is a video from the Pittsburgh game. I got it from TheBigShow website. Watch how they handled Mario, this is what New Orleans did several times... He's got the tightend on him, he beats the tight end, then there is a tackle there waiting for him. Sometimes the tackle is first, & then he's got to leap over the HB but this has been happening all year, they slow Mario down, so the second blocker has time to adjust.

To be fair, Lance Zierline used that video as an example of the work Antonio is doing. Look how he shoots that gap bringing the gaurd with him, allowing Barwin an easy path to the QB. Lance's dad said the noise in the stadium probably helped their because the offense has to go on a silent count & the guard looked to be a fraction slower off the ball than Antonio.
Old 10-04-2011   #10
gary
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 34423 gary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to gary

Gary should know by now the type of edge rushers Eric might have trouble with even in the least bit so vs those teams he should game plan to assist Eric ahead of time.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read