Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 10-04-2011   #21
dinkatoid
Veteran

Rep Power: 629 dinkatoid is a quality contributor and well respecteddinkatoid is a quality contributor and well respecteddinkatoid is a quality contributor and well respecteddinkatoid is a quality contributor and well respecteddinkatoid is a quality contributor and well respecteddinkatoid is a quality contributor and well respecteddinkatoid is a quality contributor and well respecteddinkatoid is a quality contributor and well respecteddinkatoid is a quality contributor and well respecteddinkatoid is a quality contributor and well respecteddinkatoid is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Where are all the Chris Myers threads?

I agree that Myers has really been a stellar center now for us. While I am sure he has improved and the talent around him has definitely improved, I think a lot more of it had to do with negative perception than negative play. I think a lot of people just remember the 1 play where Kris Jenkins ran over Myers, but there is a reason everyone else double teamed that guy.

The ZBS is usually run by undersized lineman that can move, as it prefers the ability to get out and run over size. However, that means that when you have some monstrous human being (aka Jenkins) and you blow the blocking assignment (no way Kubiak planned Myers to solo block him) and leave your small-ish center alone, he is going to be made to look like a fool.
Old 10-04-2011   #22
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 127410 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan_Bill View Post
Kris Jenkins blew them up!
Quote:
Originally Posted by TEXANS84 View Post

Old 10-04-2011   #23
silvrhand
Site Contributor

Section: 135J 5-8
Rep Power: 33080 silvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to silvrhand Send a message via MSN to silvrhand Send a message via Yahoo to silvrhand

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan_Bill View Post
Kris Jenkins blew them up!
along with both is knees... /retire

In response to the new Vance Joseph Hiring:
silvrhand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011   #24
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Section: Channel 700-ish on NFL Sunday Ticket
Rep Power: 100454 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected

LINK
Quote:
Chris Myers started Week 1 with a bang but has sustained his high level of performance throughout so far and, with a full season at this level, will well deserve to be counted alongside Nick Mangold as absolutely the best center in the NFL. Whether he was blocking Casey Hampton, one of the Steelers’ defensive ends, or working to the second level on their linebackers, Myers was in control. Unlike Mangold, he doesn’t have a long list of plays where he destroys the man across from him but his consistency this season is extraordinary. Myers has only been downgraded for 12 plays all season long, two of those being penalties. Myers is staking an early claim to be this year’s All-Pro center.
Having quoted that, I agree with Dex and we'll see what happens against the Ravens. They were absolutely brutal on Sunday night.
Old 10-04-2011   #25
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 73110 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinkatoid View Post
I agree that Myers has really been a stellar center now for us. While I am sure he has improved and the talent around him has definitely improved, I think a lot more of it had to do with negative perception than negative play. I think a lot of people just remember the 1 play where Kris Jenkins ran over Myers, but there is a reason everyone else double teamed that guy.

The ZBS is usually run by undersized lineman that can move, as it prefers the ability to get out and run over size. However, that means that when you have some monstrous human being (aka Jenkins) and you blow the blocking assignment (no way Kubiak planned Myers to solo block him) and leave your small-ish center alone, he is going to be made to look like a fool.
OK, what if a D had TWO D-Linemen that big???

HJam72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011   #26
Yankee_In_TX
Dance Lindsay!

Rep Power: 10048 Yankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to Yankee_In_TX
Cool Re: Where are all the Chris Myers threads?

Quote:
Originally Posted by keyser View Post
Yeah, I feel like an ***** for being so wrong about him a while back (good thing I'm not a coach...). I really thought he was the weakest part of our OL and needed to be replaced. Clearly, he's been doing an excellent job recently. I'm still not sure if my earlier impressions were just mistaken, or if he has actually improved that much (probably some of both).
Fact. (on all accounts)
Only fan in Ohio in 2002 :) Glad I moved to Texas!
117 C BullPen
Sigh.
Yankee_In_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011   #27
Surreal McCoy
All Pro

Rep Power: 13529 Surreal McCoy is a quality contributor and well respectedSurreal McCoy is a quality contributor and well respectedSurreal McCoy is a quality contributor and well respectedSurreal McCoy is a quality contributor and well respectedSurreal McCoy is a quality contributor and well respectedSurreal McCoy is a quality contributor and well respectedSurreal McCoy is a quality contributor and well respectedSurreal McCoy is a quality contributor and well respectedSurreal McCoy is a quality contributor and well respectedSurreal McCoy is a quality contributor and well respectedSurreal McCoy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealJoker View Post
Re: Where are all the Chris Myers threads?
Probably the same place as the "FORGET THE SCRIPT STUPIDAK!!!" threads.
Surreal McCoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 10-04-2011   #28
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 309459 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Item #2: http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=85589
Old 10-04-2011   #29
TheRealJoker
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10496 TheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TheRealJoker

Chris Myers ability to overcome being the official scapegoat of th Texans' OL troubles gives me slight hope that Kareem Jackson can also overcome.
Old 01-19-2012   #30
Blake
MMQB

Section: 551
Rep Power: 75432 Blake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respected

After Chris Myers being named to the Pro-bowl, Here are some to reflect upon.

http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/sho...ht=chris+myers

(I tried to defend the dude, but had several posters calling my reasoning, excuses and such. :P

Blake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012   #31
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 109602 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected

as far as all the other threads(I know there were some "I told you so" threads that were floating a round
Hell yes I bashed him. He got posterized by Jenkins at the time(his job was to protect this QB and Schaub could have gotten killed) and not only that, but the Texans were notorious of getting stopped on short yardage situations. I think some of the pissed off posts were justified at that time.(along with other offensive linemen). I think my posts were directed at Chris the football player and not the human being. I don't recall being that pissed off that I went person.. that isn't my style,but who knows in the heat of battle on game day

With that said. CONGRATULATIONS to Chris, it is freaking awesome and glad the Texans got some coaching in here help develop the players

It is freaking awesome that he is our first Pro Bowl offensive lineman (Duane Brown will have his day)

I do hope we can and do re-sign him
Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012   #32
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf View Post
as far as all the other threads(I know there were some "I told you so" threads that were floating a round
Hell yes I bashed him. He got posterized by Jenkins at the time(his job was to protect this QB and Schaub could have gotten killed) and not only that, but the Texans were notorious of getting stopped on short yardage situations. I think some of the pissed off posts were justified at that time.(along with other offensive linemen). I think my posts were directed at Chris the football player and not the human being. I don't recall being that pissed off that I went person.. that isn't my style,but who knows in the heat of battle on game day

With that said. CONGRATULATIONS to Chris, it is freaking awesome and glad the Texans got some coaching in here help develop the players

It is freaking awesome that he is our first Pro Bowl offensive lineman (Duane Brown will have his day)

I do hope we can and do re-sign him
For me, it was never the case of "I told you so".
I just don't like the idea of making a scape-goat out of somebody who is not.

Some of Myers' perceived "bad plays" were similar to KJax' in his rookie year.
It was the responsibility of the guard(s) as opposed to safety(ies) - in case of KJax.

They both had their own bad plays, that's for sure.

Other O-linemen (all of them) had failed to protect Schaub more often than Myers but they didn't hear the wrath. All of them "would have killed" Schaub many times over more than Myers.

Similarly, other Texans CBs performed poorly in the same year KJax was a rook.
I would go on record to say that I graded out Jackson as the best performer that year in the secondary (sounds just insane like I graded Myers as the best performer on the O-line in his scape-goat year.)

That was why they brought in Allen that year and then moved Quin to safety and McCain to nickel this year (besides letting go of Pollard and Wilson).

Some claimed that Myers was the worst Center in the league; some claimed that Jackson was the worst CB in the league.
Those were the statements that I set out to disprove.

Don't forget that I also said I would take Jackson over McCourty even after McCourty was selected to the Pro-Bowl (that statement sounded totally ludicrous to many at the time.)
It was not another "I told you so", but rather a sincere and friendly call-out to the most hardcore football fans to study and learn the game so we can all appreciate it as the most intricate sport there is on this planet.

If we can't be sure of the protection call, we should hold off on blaming a particular O-lineman.
If we can't be sure of the coverage, we shouldn't be too quick to blame a certain secondary player.
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012   #33
Carr Bombed
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 101824 Carr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respected

Did you not read the first page of this thread? You know.. Where everybody already acknowledged Myers was good and ate crow... hell when this thread was made it was after I already started a thread stating I was wrong about Myers. Did you even read the thread?

... I really don't understand why you bumped this thread? In my FIRST post in this thread I said the O.P. was about 9 months late. Well you're almost 2 years late.
Carr Bombed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012   #34
Blake
MMQB

Section: 551
Rep Power: 75432 Blake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carr Bombed View Post
Did you not read the first page of this thread? You know.. Where everybody already acknowledged Myers was good and ate crow... hell when this thread was made it was after I already started a thread stating I was wrong about Myers. Did you even read the thread?

... I really don't understand why you bumped this thread? In my FIRST post in this thread I said the O.P. was about 9 months late. Well you're almost 2 years late.
Dont get your panties in a wad. Its fun to reflect on threads from time to time.
Blake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012   #35
Carr Bombed
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 101824 Carr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respected

edit

Last edited by Carr Bombed; 01-20-2012 at 02:54 PM.
Carr Bombed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012   #36
TejasTom
Heisenwatt

Section: Brazos Suite
Rep Power: 56294 TejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by keyser View Post
Yeah, I feel like an ***** for being so wrong about him a while back (good thing I'm not a coach...). I really thought he was the weakest part of our OL and needed to be replaced. Clearly, he's been doing an excellent job recently. I'm still not sure if my earlier impressions were just mistaken, or if he has actually improved that much (probably some of both).
In 2009 he suffered a high ankle sprain in practice before the Week 1 game against the Jets. He played the entire 2009 season injured.

Based on 2010 & 2011 seasons, I would say the injury degrade his play significantly in 2009.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read