Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

The National Football League League News & Current Events

Old 10-03-2011   #1
Air Canada
Veteran

Rep Power: 790 Air Canada is a quality contributor and well respectedAir Canada is a quality contributor and well respectedAir Canada is a quality contributor and well respectedAir Canada is a quality contributor and well respectedAir Canada is a quality contributor and well respectedAir Canada is a quality contributor and well respectedAir Canada is a quality contributor and well respectedAir Canada is a quality contributor and well respectedAir Canada is a quality contributor and well respectedAir Canada is a quality contributor and well respectedAir Canada is a quality contributor and well respected
Default The Best Receiver in the NFL isn't on our team anymore?

It hurts me to say this and I know I may get ripped for it, but at this point in their careers.... On just ability, talent level, and skill.... Andre is a great dude, plays all out all the time, and has the skill and track record, but....

Just watching him closely since he's been in the NFL and this season I'm convinced...

Calvin Johnson is the best receiver in the NFL.... Even better than AJ

It may be 1A and 1B... But he is....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=617nhhDFomA

He really is just uncoverable almost all the time and in one on one situations you just have to put it up and there are NO DB's that can get up as high as him to make a play on it. I would say that AJ is a better route runner and that when you need to convert a down he is a better guy to get it too, but when it comes to scoring TD's and especially in the RZ where it matters the most... I don't think there is anyone better..

On another note... Hope the injury isn't too serious and we get AJ back in at least a few weeks at most cuz it goes without saying we're gonna need him.
Air Canada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011   #2
jshabang
Quality Backup!

Rep Power: 89 jshabang is a quality contributor and well respectedjshabang is a quality contributor and well respectedjshabang is a quality contributor and well respectedjshabang is a quality contributor and well respectedjshabang is a quality contributor and well respectedjshabang is a quality contributor and well respectedjshabang is a quality contributor and well respectedjshabang is a quality contributor and well respectedjshabang is a quality contributor and well respectedjshabang is a quality contributor and well respectedjshabang is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: The Best Receiver in the NFL isn't on our team anymore?

no need to hide.....this is a fact.......

hell andre said this when asked who the best in the league was about a couple weeks ago
Old 10-03-2011   #3
ziggy29
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 6653 ziggy29 is a quality contributor and well respectedziggy29 is a quality contributor and well respectedziggy29 is a quality contributor and well respectedziggy29 is a quality contributor and well respectedziggy29 is a quality contributor and well respectedziggy29 is a quality contributor and well respectedziggy29 is a quality contributor and well respectedziggy29 is a quality contributor and well respectedziggy29 is a quality contributor and well respectedziggy29 is a quality contributor and well respectedziggy29 is a quality contributor and well respected

I love AJ as much as anyone, but I won't fault anyone for thinking CJ is the best in the game today. Didn't AJ recently say he thought CJ was the best?
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011   #4
Mr. Texan
I'm A Texan

Rep Power: 14263 Mr. Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

stafford has the arm strength to get calvin the ball in the endzone. in that regard he is a better redzone threat than andre but i still think andre is a better overall receiver, especially between the 20's. not to mention we rely on the run game more than the lions.
Mr. Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011   #5
ziggy29
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 6653 ziggy29 is a quality contributor and well respectedziggy29 is a quality contributor and well respectedziggy29 is a quality contributor and well respectedziggy29 is a quality contributor and well respectedziggy29 is a quality contributor and well respectedziggy29 is a quality contributor and well respectedziggy29 is a quality contributor and well respectedziggy29 is a quality contributor and well respectedziggy29 is a quality contributor and well respectedziggy29 is a quality contributor and well respectedziggy29 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Texan View Post
stafford has the arm strength to get calvin the ball in the endzone. in that regard he is a better redzone threat than andre but i still think andre is a better overall receiver, especially between the 20's. not to mention we rely on the run game more than the lions.
In reality, they're both on the short list of candidates for the best WR in the game, and any team would love to feature either of them.
Old 10-03-2011   #6
Mr. Texan
I'm A Texan

Rep Power: 14263 Mr. Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post
In reality, they're both on the short list of candidates for the best WR in the game, and any team would love to feature either of them.
definitely. both fantastic wide receivers.

calvin is the most athletically gifted wide receiver in the game imo
Old 10-03-2011   #7
Air Canada
Veteran

Rep Power: 790 Air Canada is a quality contributor and well respectedAir Canada is a quality contributor and well respectedAir Canada is a quality contributor and well respectedAir Canada is a quality contributor and well respectedAir Canada is a quality contributor and well respectedAir Canada is a quality contributor and well respectedAir Canada is a quality contributor and well respectedAir Canada is a quality contributor and well respectedAir Canada is a quality contributor and well respectedAir Canada is a quality contributor and well respectedAir Canada is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Texan View Post
I agree with Andre being the BEST between the 20's... Yet I think getting in the endzone is the most important thing and I feel CJ has that ability to the fullest especially in the RZ. Ridiculous >> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LxFab2d7fGE
Air Canada is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 10-03-2011   #8
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 205206 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc

Well, I can draw one of two conclusions every time I see CJ catch a red zone TD. Either AJ isn't good enough to do that, or our offensive play caller refuses to even try.

CJ is a beast, for sure.
Old 10-03-2011   #9
Mr. Texan
I'm A Texan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Air Canada View Post
I agree with Andre being the BEST between the 20's... Yet I think getting in the endzone is the most important thing and I feel CJ has that ability to the fullest especially in the RZ. Ridiculous >> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LxFab2d7fGE
one thing i see is we don't even try that fade route/jumpball for andre at all
Old 10-03-2011   #10
ziggy29
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriadoc View Post
Well, I can draw one of two conclusions every time I see CJ catch a red zone TD. Either AJ isn't good enough to do that, or our offensive play caller refuses to even try.
I don't know I'd say AJ is not "good" enough to do it, just that it's a particular skill that CJ is the very best at. AJ's game is better in other areas (as mentioned, between the 20s), but CJ is *the* beast when it comes to throwing it up into the end zone and making a ridiculous leap to take down into triple coverage.
Old 10-03-2011   #11
Hardcore Texan
Magnet Man

Rep Power: 19817 Hardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

I'll reserve judgement until CJ whips Finnegan's ass.
Old 10-03-2011   #12
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 214832 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardcore Texan View Post
I'll reserve judgement until CJ whips Finnegan's ass.
This. We need to know what kind of uppercut CJ has. Then we can make an educated decision. Somebody get innegan on the phone and setup a match.
Old 10-03-2011   #13
Mr teX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 75384 Mr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respected

I think this is the year the torch gets passed...CJ simply can't be covered.
Mr teX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011   #14
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 205206 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post
I don't know I'd say AJ is not "good" enough to do it, just that it's a particular skill that CJ is the very best at. AJ's game is better in other areas (as mentioned, between the 20s), but CJ is *the* beast when it comes to throwing it up into the end zone and making a ridiculous leap to take down into triple coverage.
My point was we don't know that AJ is not good enough or that he is good enough because he's never given those sorts of opportunities. I do know that I've seen AJ convert on the few opportunities he's been given.

So I guess I just have a hard time believing that CJ is that much better than AJ in the red zone. But since Kubiak refuses to feature AJ in that manner, I guess it'll become commonly accepted that it's the case.
Old 10-03-2011   #15
utahmark
markbeth

Rep Power: 8733 utahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
My point was we don't know that AJ is not good enough or that he is good enough because he's never given those sorts of opportunities. I do know that I've seen AJ convert on the few opportunities he's been given.

So I guess I just have a hard time believing that CJ is that much better than AJ in the red zone. But since Kubiak refuses to feature AJ in that manner, I guess it'll become commonly accepted that it's the case.
Could be that they tried in practice and it has'nt worked out.
Old 10-03-2011   #16
Ryan
THIS YEAR

Section: Section 135, Row F
Rep Power: 13416 Ryan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to Ryan

I agree with the fact that CJ is clearly the best at this point in time. And i also agree with the fact that Andre is a better receiver in between the 20's and a better route runner. CJ's best play is the "throw it up and let me go get it", while AJ can do a little bit more of everything.

CJ is easily the most gifted receiver in the league, and it's clearly just a 1A and 1B thing now. I never said that with Fitzgerald.
Old 10-03-2011   #17
Dutchrudder 
COOL BEANS!

Section: Fort Kickass
Rep Power: 150980 Dutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respected

I still don't understand why the Texans don't use AJ in the red zone like other teams use CJ, Fitz, Wayne, etc... Why can't we call the 1 on 1 fade route to the corner with AJ? It worked against us like 20 times last year with Wayne, Holmes and others who caught fades in the corners. AJ is huge and has a great vertical leap. He should be able to make those catches if Schaub can place it right.
Old 10-03-2011   #18
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 275466 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

NFL players disagree.
Old 10-03-2011   #19
kiwitexansfan
Give'm a taste

Rep Power: 60180 kiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respected

Calvin Johnson is the best pass catcher in the NFL.

I would still put AJ ahead of him as an all around player especially in the run game and the leadership he brings.
kiwitexansfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011   #20
TheCD
All Pro

Rep Power: 1036 TheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

I really think this is more of a fault on Schaub than AJ. I really can't recall Matt ever putting a ball up there like Stafford does for CJ in the endzone where only AJ can grab it. I can think of once or twice for Jacoby, but those throws always seem to be a bit too high.

If you recall, when we played Miami several years ago (the one Matt won on a QB sneak), that 4th down conversion AJ made was in triple coverage with a high ball thrown to him where only he could get it.

While they're both great, they're really two types of receivers. CJ will score you points directly, while AJ will move the ball and block extremely well.
TheCD is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read