Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 10-04-2011   #161
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 222730 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: AJ has procedure done today

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesBill View Post
So I guess they didn't cut him right? Some other procedure? 3 weeks is fast for surgery.
Unless they are purposely including surgery in the word "medical" for "protective" reasons, the most likely procedure is platelet rich plasma injections, which despite having an avid anecdotal following, has had no proven consistency in the medical literature.

You may wish to read this NEW YORK TIMES review article :
Popular Blood Therapy May Not Work
CloakNNNdagger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011   #162
GhostRaider2007
Rookie

Rep Power: 0 GhostRaider2007 is a quality contributor and well respectedGhostRaider2007 is a quality contributor and well respectedGhostRaider2007 is a quality contributor and well respectedGhostRaider2007 is a quality contributor and well respectedGhostRaider2007 is a quality contributor and well respectedGhostRaider2007 is a quality contributor and well respectedGhostRaider2007 is a quality contributor and well respectedGhostRaider2007 is a quality contributor and well respectedGhostRaider2007 is a quality contributor and well respectedGhostRaider2007 is a quality contributor and well respectedGhostRaider2007 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: AJ out a few weeks, has procedure

Link:
http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/1575/andre-johnson

Quote:
The Houston Chronicle's John McClain reports Andre Johnson will miss three weeks after undergoing a procedure to prevent scar tissue and "speed the recovery" of his hamstring.

Hamstring surgeries typically require a much longer recovery period, but Johnson's procedure seems more like a cutting-edge platelet-rich plasma therapy. He's not having the tendon re-attached to the bone, rather expediting the recovery process. Johnson will miss games against the Raiders, Ravens, and likely the Titans over the next three weeks, aiming for a return against the Jags in Week 8. Jacoby Jones and Kevin Walter will start this week, though Owen Daniels will likely be the No. 1 weapon in the passing game. Oct 4 - 6:47 PM
Source: Houston Chronicle
GhostRaider2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011   #163
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 222730 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostRaider2007 View Post
Quote:
The Houston Chronicle's John McClain reports Andre Johnson will miss three weeks after undergoing a procedure to prevent scar tissue and "speed the recovery" of his hamstring.

Hamstring surgeries typically require a much longer recovery period, but Johnson's procedure seems more like a cutting-edge platelet-rich plasma therapy. He's not having the tendon re-attached to the bone, rather expediting the recovery process. Johnson will miss games against the Raiders, Ravens, and likely the Titans over the next three weeks, aiming for a return against the Jags in Week 8. Jacoby Jones and Kevin Walter will start this week, though Owen Daniels will likely be the No. 1 weapon in the passing game. Oct 4 - 6:47 PM
Source: Houston Chronicle
Thanks for your post, GhostRaide.

Finally.........affirmation of my diagnosis of the DISTAL HAMSTRING TENDON TORN FROM THE BONE.

I've already posted the healing period expected without surgery.
Old 10-04-2011   #164
TimeKiller
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Location: This giant tree, standing 10,000 ft. high but not reaching the ground. It's roots must hold the sky.
Section: 521/Couch
Rep Power: 0 TimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respected

Well, I wish him the best but I think 3 weeks is pretty optomistic. AJ is the man and if anybody could do it, it would be him.

And please, quit acting like he is triple teamed every down. They might lean towards him in zones, they might double team on big plays but he's not climbing over a wall of DB's to make every catch...The other guys on this team that get paid to make offense happen are pretty good too.
TimeKiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011   #165
conundrum
Rookie

Rep Power: 0 conundrum is a quality contributor and well respectedconundrum is a quality contributor and well respectedconundrum is a quality contributor and well respectedconundrum is a quality contributor and well respectedconundrum is a quality contributor and well respectedconundrum is a quality contributor and well respectedconundrum is a quality contributor and well respectedconundrum is a quality contributor and well respectedconundrum is a quality contributor and well respectedconundrum is a quality contributor and well respectedconundrum is a quality contributor and well respected

Everyone needs to stop being so pessimistic, it's 2011, it would not be a big deal for him to recover within 3 weeks. I bet if playoffs were around the corner, number 80 could suit up within 2 weeks.

We have a top defense and arguably the best rushing attack in the league, we can man the fort until aj is back. Rally behind the troops ppl and stop feeling so down and thinking everyone's out to get us.
conundrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011   #166
Carr Bombed
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 101824 Carr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post

Finally.........affirmation of my diagnosis of the DISTAL HAMSTRING TENDON TORN FROM THE BONE.

Can you please elaborate on this new release/diagnosis? Are they saying he has a tendon torn from his bone? How can you even play like that, much less run around? I don't get how a player can tear a tendon from his bone and be back on a football field in 3 weeks. Is that even possible? Also was the "procedure" that they did perform today, done just to allow him to take a shortcut from I.R. but he'll have to go back and have actual surgery during the offseason?

All this stuff is like WHOOSH! right over my head.
Carr Bombed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011   #167
Carr Bombed
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 101824 Carr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by conundrum View Post
Everyone needs to stop being so pessimistic, it's 2011, it would not be a big deal for him to recover within 3 weeks. I bet if playoffs were around the corner, number 80 could suit up within 2 weeks.

We have a top defense and arguably the best rushing attack in the league, we can man the fort until aj is back. Rally behind the troops ppl and stop feeling so down and thinking everyone's out to get us.
??? what are you talking about. Who here is talking about people "being out to get us".

This is a potentially serious injury to our franchise player, if you want to bury your head in the sand and act like there's nothing to be worried about then go right on ahead. The rest of us will be concerned about our franchise player until we see him looking like his old self back out on the football field again...especially with the Texans' history of hiding/SEVERELY underselling the severity of player injuries.
Sponsored links
Old 10-04-2011   #168
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Section: Channel 700-ish on NFL Sunday Ticket
Rep Power: 100454 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Report: Johnson out a few weeks, Texans expect

Quote:
How's that?
It would be more intuitive for larger(more important) tendons and ligaments to have a better blood supply than smaller, less significant ones. Tendons are physiologically different than ligaments in that they need a better blood supply to exist. Ligaments are oftem much more isolated from the blood supply by the very nature of their job tham a tendon is. Having said that, I've witnessed far too many "firings" of horses tendons to promote blood supply.
Old 10-04-2011   #169
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Rep Power: 74671 Texans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respected

My blog post on this.

Andre Johnson’s leg injury…hello, panicky speculation [UPDATE about procedure]

I'm pretty sure it is Platelet-Rich Plasma treatment. I know for a fact he had it done on his ankle last year. I know that the Texans use PRP. They didn't say it was a surgery. And there are very few things I can think of that you could do to a hamstring to encourage healing through a procedure.

What I don't know is his return because we don't know how severe the hamstring injury is or any specifics. Texans have underestimated AJ return times in the past, most notably in 2007.
Old 10-04-2011   #170
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carr Bombed View Post
Can you please elaborate on this new release/diagnosis? Are they saying he has a tendon torn from his bone? How can you even play like that, much less run around? I don't get how a player can tear a tendon from his bone and be back on a football field in 3 weeks. Is that even possible? Also was the "procedure" that they did perform today, done just to allow him to take a shortcut from I.R. but he'll have to go back and have actual surgery during the offseason?

All this stuff is like WHOOSH! right over my head.
I've explained the answers to your question in past posts.

I will repost this old post .

Quote:
He said that he could be back in a few days or a few weeks..........will get some additional 2nd opinions.

This makes me think that the 2nd opinions are to determine whether to take a non-surgical vs surgical approach. In other words, I believe that the MRI may have already identified a subtotal tear or complete tear/avulsion of the distal hamstring tendon (or the PCL). With a distal hamstring avulsion, there has been controversy whether to surgically repair or not.

Most hamstring tears/avulsions occur more proximal as in this illustration.

(See my previous post showing the distal hamstring tendon attachments.)

One study published in the past few years reported on elite athletes with this type of injury. They found that in the nonoperative treatment group (12), 7 players recovered at an average of 10.4 weeks (range, 3-35). Five of these players (42%) failed initial nonoperative treatment (mean, 16.8 weeks) and subsequently had surgery to resect the torn tendon and surrounding scar tissue. These 5 players recovered at an average of 12.8 weeks postoperatively. In the acute [immediate] surgery group, 5 players had surgery to resect the torn tendon and scar tissue within 4 weeks of injury. The acute-phase group had an average recovery of 6.8 weeks after surgery.

I believe that this is possibly the dilemma facing AJ and the organization. Making a decision that at least gets him back before the end of the season or playoffs.

Again, let me emphasize that I have no access to the findings, physical or radiological. But if this were just a straight forward "minor" hamstring problems, I don't believe that there would be need for several 2nd opinions.

Let me leave you with this article that appeared after an MRI was obtained in 2007 following AJ's PCL/MCL injury. You might want to compare some of the wording.
Quote:
Sprained knee may keep Johnson out vs. Colts

By Megan Manfull - Houston Chronicle

Andre Johnson, who hurt his left knee Sunday against the Carolina Panthers, is doubtful to play for the Texans when the team plays the Indianapolis Colts this Sunday at Reliant Stadium. The Texans had an MRI done on Johnson's knee Monday morning and it revealed a sprain.

"I would say that he is doubtful for that football game," Kubiak said. "We'll know more in the next couple of days. There was no swelling, but there's definitely a sprain there. It's a concern right now."

The initial diagnosis was that Johnson had strained his posterior cruciate ligament. He hurt it during a big hit that followed his last catch a 10-yard grab with 11:58 to go in the game.

"He has a knee sprain," Kubiak said. "That's the good news and the bad news. We feel fortunate. Andre is going to be fine. Is he going to be fine in one week? Or is he going to be fine in four weeks? We're still in the evaluation stage. We don't know."

Johnson currently ranks fourth in the league with 262 receiving yards on 14 catches. The next most productive receiver on the team is rookie Jacoby Jones with 33 receiving yards on two catches. Kevin Walter has two catches for 17 yards.

If Johnson can't go on Sunday, Andre' Davis will be activated.
AJ ending up missing 7 games..........
Old 10-04-2011   #171
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Rep Power: 74671 Texans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

No. No tendon torn from bone report.

I've visited with the Rotoworld writer. They just take info from McClain's report. Roto-writer told me he made a mistake to reference surgery. McClain or Berman have no details on extent of injury. They are just referencing hamstring injury + a procedure to aid healing.
Old 10-04-2011   #172
Lucky

Rep Power: 172599 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Quote:
One study published in the past few years reported on elite athletes with this type of injury. They found that in the nonoperative treatment group (12), 7 players recovered at an average of 10.4 weeks (range, 3-35). Five of these players (42%) failed initial nonoperative treatment (mean, 16.8 weeks) and subsequently had surgery to resect the torn tendon and surrounding scar tissue. These 5 players recovered at an average of 12.8 weeks postoperatively. In the acute [immediate] surgery group, 5 players had surgery to resect the torn tendon and scar tissue within 4 weeks of injury. The acute-phase group had an average recovery of 6.8 weeks after surgery.
So nonoperative treatment has an average recovery period of 10.4 weeks? But immediate surgery has an average recovery period time of 6.8 weeks? Can you explain why the Texans doctors aren't opting for immediate surgery?
Old 10-04-2011   #173
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

I'm pretty sure in 2005 when he had a calf/back of knee leg problem, (LEFT LEG) where he missed two games, he had a second opinion. I was at an event and AJ showed up late coming back from an out of state dr opinion.
Old 10-04-2011   #174
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Until JoeTexan weighs in on this, we should all just stop jumping to conclusions.
Old 10-04-2011   #175
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Default Re: Report: Johnson out a few weeks, Texans expect

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBar View Post
It would be more intuitive for larger(more important) tendons and ligaments to have a better blood supply than smaller, less significant ones. Tendons are physiologically different than ligaments in that they need a better blood supply to exist. Ligaments are oftem much more isolated from the blood supply by the very nature of their job tham a tendon is. Having said that, I've witnessed far too many "firings" of horses tendons to promote blood supply.
Muscle has a vast number and large blood vessels running all along their outside borders as well as well distributed throughout their bulk. They are VERY well blood supplied.

Tendons have very much smaller blood vessels that essential run along their borders with virtually none running within their substance. Therefore, the greater the size of the tendon, the further away from the supplying blood vessel on the surface, and hence a very much greater lack of blood supply getting to the deeper substance.

I hope that answers your question.
Old 10-04-2011   #176
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
So nonoperative treatment has an average recovery period of 10.4 weeks? But immediate surgery has an average recovery period time of 6.8 weeks? Can you explain why the Texans doctors aren't opting for immediate surgery?
I really don't think we have enough information to guess what sort of "hamstring issue" AJ has. McClain/Berman not specific on injury. Nobody else has the info. I'm pretty sure that he had PRP treatment because he had before and through process of elimination based on what we know.
Old 10-04-2011   #177
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
Sorry, Lucky. I wish I could. But I'm at a loss for understanding their choice of approach.
Old 10-04-2011   #178
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Quote:
Sorry, Lucky. I wish I could. But I'm at a loss for understanding their choice of approach.
I don't think that his injury is serious enough to require surgical repair. Rotoworld report only one that mentions surgery and their writer noted to me that he made a mistake misreading McClain's report thinking it said surgery.
Old 10-04-2011   #179
Carr Bombed
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texans_Chick View Post
I really don't think we have enough information to guess what sort of "hamstring issue" AJ has. McClain/Berman not specific on injury. Nobody else has the info. I'm pretty sure that he had PRP treatment because he had before and through process of elimination based on what we know.
Where there's smoke there's fire....why is McClain even talking about a torn tendon if they have no clue of what's going on?

I really REALLY hate our sports journalist in this city. This might as well be B.F.E, Texas U.S.A. The caliber of sports reporting would be exactly the same.
Old 10-04-2011   #180
Carr Bombed
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Oh I completely understand their choice of approach. When there's multiple choices available, always pick the incompetent one...it's what this team does. They consistently mishandle injuries on this team...just look at Arian.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read