Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 10-03-2011   #41
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 56437 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Report: Johnson out a few weeks, Texans expect

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post
He said that he could be back in a few days or a few weeks..........will get some additional 2nd opinions.

This makes me think that the 2nd opinions are to determine whether to take a non-surgical vs surgical approach. In other words, I believe that the MRI may have already identified a subtotal tear or complete tear/avulsion of the distal hamstring tendon (or the PCL). With a distal hamstring avulsion, there has been controversy whether to surgically repair or not.

Most hamstring tears/avulsions occur more proximal as in this illustration.

(See my previous post showing the distal hamstring tendon attachments.)

One study published in the past few years reported on elite athletes with this type of injury. They found that in the nonoperative treatment group (12), 7 players recovered at an average of 10.4 weeks (range, 3-35). Five of these players (42%) failed initial nonoperative treatment (mean, 16.8 weeks) and subsequently had surgery to resect the torn tendon and surrounding scar tissue. These 5 players recovered at an average of 12.8 weeks postoperatively. In the acute [immediate] surgery group, 5 players had surgery to resect the torn tendon and scar tissue within 4 weeks of injury. The acute-phase group had an average recovery of 6.8 weeks after surgery.

I believe that this is possibly the dilemma facing AJ and the organization. Making a decision that at least gets him back before the end of the season or playoffs.

There is no mention of the PCL, but let's say that if the PCL has theoretically been shown to be completely torn, a little different situation exists but with similar decision quandary. Surgical reconstruction of the PCL is controversial, and usually only recommended for grade III PCL tears. Because of the technical difficulty of the surgery, some orthopedic surgeons do not see the benefit of PCL reconstruction. Others, however, believe PCL reconstruction can lead to improved knee stability and lower the likelihood of problems down the road. Non-surgical rehab can take 6-8 weeks........Surgical rehab 6 months.

Again, let me emphasize that I have no access to the findings, physical or radiological. But if this were just a straight forward "minor" hamstring problems, I don't believe that there would be need for several 2nd opinions.

Let me leave you with this article that appeared after an MRI was obtained in 2007 following AJ's PCL/MCL injury. You might want to compare some of the wording.

AJ ending up missing 7 games..........
What's that flushing sound I'm hearing?
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011   #42
EllisUnit
Homerism Champ

Section: 2" from the TV, Screaming.
Rep Power: 44018 EllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naiirb View Post
If his injury is really serious i don't expect him back till after the bye week. That should give him 7 weeks to heal up and get ready to make a some serious noise in the playoffs. *fingers crossed he'll only miss a few
thats if we can string together enough offense to make the play-offs. Our D has improved but i dont think so much that we can ride them to the play-offs. If it isnt one thing its another. Its like one of those dreams where ur running to the light in the end of the tunnel and no matter how fast you run the end of the tunnel keeps getting farther and farther away.
Old 10-03-2011   #43
Texanmike02
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 58272 Texanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by EllisUnit View Post
http://www.chron.com/sports/texans/a....php#loopBegin

McClain is saying its a strained hamstring. i dunno if this is good our bad.
Crap. That means its an ACL.

Mike

Sig by False Start - Thanks man

Govern my country, NOT MY LIFE!
Texanmike02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011   #44
False Start
On # 69

Section: 420
Rep Power: 49619 False Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by EllisUnit View Post
thats if we can string together enough offense to make the play-offs. Our D has improved but i dont think so much that we can ride them to the play-offs. If it isnt one thing its another. Its like one of those dreams where ur running to the light in the end of the tunnel and no matter how fast you run the end of the tunnel keeps getting farther and farther away.
Before the season started I was talking about how the stars are lining up just right for the Texans. I told my brother, "watch some bull**** will happen like AJ will get injured, and screw the Texans season up." I should of just kept my mouth shut, lol. I hope thats not the case though, if so I'll go all Florida Evans.

RIP DIMEBAG DARRELL - 1966-2004 - GETCHA PULL!

CLIFF BURTON 1962-1986 - CLIFF EM' ALL!
WINTERFELL - BECAUSE STANNIS BARATHEON PUSHED IT!
False Start is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011   #45
EllisUnit
Homerism Champ

Rep Power: 44018 EllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by False Start View Post
Before the season started I was talking about how the stars are lining up just right for the Texans. I told my brother, "watch some bull**** will happen like AJ will get injured, and screw the Texans season up." I should of just kept my mouth shut, lol. I hope thats not the case though, if so I'll go all Florida Evans.

haha well IMO we have a good enough team to survive, but i think thats about it. We have depended on AJ for far to long and have never really tried to address the issue of a solid #2. If anything the FO is to blame for this.
Old 10-03-2011   #46
Dutchrudder 
COOL BEANS!

Section: Fort Kickass
Rep Power: 150980 Dutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respected

Suppose we lost AJ for 7 games, 8 weeks total, and he comes back week 13 after the Jags game. If we were to go 3-4 down that stretch, we would be 6-5 with 5 games to go. Not out of it yet at that point, and going 4-1 with him back, would still get us to 10-6. Still plenty of hope left!
Old 10-03-2011   #47
False Start
On # 69

Section: 420
Rep Power: 49619 False Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchrudder View Post
Suppose we lost AJ for 7 games, 8 weeks total, and he comes back week 13 after the Jags game. If we were to go 3-4 down that stretch, we would be 6-5 with 5 games to go. Not out of it yet at that point, and going 4-1 with him back, would still get us to 10-6. Still plenty of hope left!
I think they will be able to hang, but not be REALLY bad ass like they could be with AJ. I want to see them kick someones ass, lol. It would be sad to not have AJ for the first playoff appearance. I still have hope either way.

RIP DIMEBAG DARRELL - 1966-2004 - GETCHA PULL!

CLIFF BURTON 1962-1986 - CLIFF EM' ALL!
WINTERFELL - BECAUSE STANNIS BARATHEON PUSHED IT!
False Start is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 10-03-2011   #48
EllisUnit
Homerism Champ

http://espn.go.com/blog/afcsouth/pos...ons-on-johnson

another post about AJs injury. More of the same really but there it is.
Old 10-03-2011   #49
Shaft75
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 6688 Shaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm a huge Dre supporter, and I get why everyone could be dejected... BUT...

This isn't the same Texans team from a couple of years ago. We have a really nice rushing attack and a defense that can keep us in games.

Keep holding your head high guys and gals. We got a team.
Shaft75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011   #50
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 153118 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

If Aj is going to miss the next 8 weeks (fingers crossed) I really think the only game to worry about is Baltimore.
Raiders: We can beat them without Aj, this is a coaching game. Kubiak should be able to beat these guys.

Baltimore: We're going to need our A game with Andre to win this game.

Tennessee: @ Titland: I know that they aren't as helpless as we've been saying, but these guys don't scare me. The only thing that worries me about them is that they can win 10 games against their schedule, even if we sweep them.

JagUars: I think we got this game @ home

Cleveland: Not necessarily an easy game, so far #4 against the pass # 25 against the run.... I think Gary can put together a game plan to take advantage of our strengths & their weaknesses.

TampaBay: I think we're better than these guys. They're streaky, but I think we can beat them. Either way, it's not guaranteed that we can't win without Andre.

Bye

JagUars: @ TarpStadium... I think we've got a chance to win this game.

Those teams on our schedule without Andre, only makes them more competitive & more dependent on Kubiak's gametime decisions.

Nothing to worry about.
Old 10-03-2011   #51
JamesBill
Veteran

Rep Power: 3101 JamesBill is a quality contributor and well respectedJamesBill is a quality contributor and well respectedJamesBill is a quality contributor and well respectedJamesBill is a quality contributor and well respectedJamesBill is a quality contributor and well respectedJamesBill is a quality contributor and well respectedJamesBill is a quality contributor and well respectedJamesBill is a quality contributor and well respectedJamesBill is a quality contributor and well respectedJamesBill is a quality contributor and well respectedJamesBill is a quality contributor and well respected

So it sounds like it isn't season ending? And he can recover fully at some point?
JamesBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011   #52
JamesBill
Veteran

Rep Power: 3101 JamesBill is a quality contributor and well respectedJamesBill is a quality contributor and well respectedJamesBill is a quality contributor and well respectedJamesBill is a quality contributor and well respectedJamesBill is a quality contributor and well respectedJamesBill is a quality contributor and well respectedJamesBill is a quality contributor and well respectedJamesBill is a quality contributor and well respectedJamesBill is a quality contributor and well respectedJamesBill is a quality contributor and well respectedJamesBill is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post

Those teams on our schedule without Andre, only makes them more competitive & more dependent on Kubiak's gametime decisions.

Nothing to worry about.
Lulz!
Old 10-03-2011   #53
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 56437 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesBill View Post
Lulz!
True

I think the Texans could overcome this.

But no way I would bet on Gary.
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011   #54
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Section: Channel 700-ish on NFL Sunday Ticket
Rep Power: 36493 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected

One thing to note on AJ's injury: He pulled up lame before he got the 1st and took a dive only after he got it. #80 is much of a man. Get well soon. The Texans are NOT the Colts and they can hold down the fort while you heal.
Old 10-03-2011   #55
hradhak
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 6498 hradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post
He said that he could be back in a few days or a few weeks..........will get some additional 2nd opinions.

This makes me think that the 2nd opinions are to determine whether to take a non-surgical vs surgical approach. In other words, I believe that the MRI may have already identified a subtotal tear or complete tear/avulsion of the distal hamstring tendon (or the PCL). With a distal hamstring avulsion, there has been controversy whether to surgically repair or not.

Most hamstring tears/avulsions occur more proximal as in this illustration.

(See my previous post showing the distal hamstring tendon attachments.)

One study published in the past few years reported on elite athletes with this type of injury. They found that in the nonoperative treatment group (12), 7 players recovered at an average of 10.4 weeks (range, 3-35). Five of these players (42%) failed initial nonoperative treatment (mean, 16.8 weeks) and subsequently had surgery to resect the torn tendon and surrounding scar tissue. These 5 players recovered at an average of 12.8 weeks postoperatively. In the acute [immediate] surgery group, 5 players had surgery to resect the torn tendon and scar tissue within 4 weeks of injury. The acute-phase group had an average recovery of 6.8 weeks after surgery.

I believe that this is possibly the dilemma facing AJ and the organization. Making a decision that at least gets him back before the end of the season or playoffs.

There is no mention of the PCL, but let's say that if the PCL has theoretically been shown to be completely torn, a little different situation exists but with similar decision quandary. Surgical reconstruction of the PCL is controversial, and usually only recommended for grade III PCL tears. Because of the technical difficulty of the surgery, some orthopedic surgeons do not see the benefit of PCL reconstruction. Others, however, believe PCL reconstruction can lead to improved knee stability and lower the likelihood of problems down the road. Non-surgical rehab can take 6-8 weeks........Surgical rehab 6 months.

Again, let me emphasize that I have no access to the findings, physical or radiological. But if this were just a straight forward "minor" hamstring problems, I don't believe that there would be need for several 2nd opinions.

Let me leave you with this article that appeared after an MRI was obtained in 2007 following AJ's PCL/MCL injury. You might want to compare some of the wording.

AJ ending up missing 7 games..........
Although the n in the study is really low, it seems like operative therapy means he's effectively out at least 7 weeks. Even if we go the non-op route he's still got a chance for not coming back this year. It's a tough call. Don't have to worry too much about elite athletes at the county hospital where I practice!
hradhak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011   #56
JamesBill
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by hradhak View Post
Although the n in the study is really low, it seems like operative therapy means he's effectively out at least 7 weeks. Even if we go the non-op route he's still got a chance for not coming back this year. It's a tough call. Don't have to worry too much about elite athletes at the county hospital where I practice!
I think you have to go for the sure thing and get it fixed.
Old 10-03-2011   #57
imatexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 4457 imatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Ugh AJ being out is the most depressing thing that can happen in my sports world. Not only because how much he means to the Texans offense but also because he is my favorite player by far. Anytime the Texans get a big play or score I am pumped but for some reason when it is AJ that makes it happens, it is that much more special to me...I guess that is just the type of guy/player he is.

Lucky for us we have what should be a pretty easy schedule, praying that it is not he is out and more importantly is 100% healthy!
imatexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011   #58
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Rep Power: 25614 Runner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respected

If Dre is out for a significant amount of time or the season, I think the chances of the Texans making the playoffs are slim. He's a huge part of this offense just being on the field. Even if he's not the target he gets a lot of defensive attention.

This isn't a pleasant thought, but he's more than a replaceable cog in this machine.
Old 10-03-2011   #59
GuerillaBlack
Money!

Rep Power: 15293 GuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respected

If AJ is going to miss that much time (five or more weeks), then it really is time for the organization to trade for a WR, or sign TO and/or Moss. Yeah, our offense can still do damage without AJ, but I have no faith in our other receivers. Not to mention the added benefit of that receiver once AJ cones back.
GuerillaBlack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011   #60
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 131093 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by False Start View Post
No doubt, I was keeping an eye on the clock at work today to listen to the presser.

I expect maybe three weeks. The way Kubiak was talking it didn't seem like its catastrophic. But then again, nobody knows nothin right now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansForTheW View Post
Kubiak on 610 just said Andre tried to give it a go after he went in the lockeroom. Is it that bad?
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cush View Post
That's actually a good sign for me. If it was serious, they wouldn't have even let him attempt to go back out there.
You might also ask Tate how he felt about being allowed to give it a go and walk off the field last year without assistance........with multiple ankle ligament tears and fracture..........
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read