Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 11-01-2011   #341
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 165989 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: So they clipped AJs hamstring. CND I'm hoping you can clarify

MODS, it would probably be easier to follow AJ's progress if this thread were merged with the AJ OUT FOR A FEW WEEKS, HAS PROCEDURE. Thanks.
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011   #342
Texanmike02
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 69969 Texanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post
Thunderkyss gave you a start. I'll try to narrow it down. If you read my posts listed below, you ought understand my line of thinking/analysis of the situation.

From the AJ OUT FOR A FEW WEEKS, HAS PROCEDURE thread:

Look at posts #24, 37 (ignore PCL comments), 270, 273 and 329.

From the CASEY AND AJ WILL PRACTICE THIS WEEK thread:

Look at posts #41 and 58.

That should answer most of your questions.
Thanks!

Mike

Sig by False Start - Thanks man

Govern my country, NOT MY LIFE!
Texanmike02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011   #343
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 165989 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Not surprising at all.

Old 11-01-2011   #344
The Cush
All Pro

Rep Power: 2778 The Cush is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Cush is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Cush is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Cush is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Cush is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Cush is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Cush is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Cush is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Cush is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Cush is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Cush is a quality contributor and well respected

wow, has anyone else in sports had a similar procedure?
The Cush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011   #345
Kthx
All Pro

Section: Bar Table
Rep Power: 8621 Kthx is a quality contributor and well respectedKthx is a quality contributor and well respectedKthx is a quality contributor and well respectedKthx is a quality contributor and well respectedKthx is a quality contributor and well respectedKthx is a quality contributor and well respectedKthx is a quality contributor and well respectedKthx is a quality contributor and well respectedKthx is a quality contributor and well respectedKthx is a quality contributor and well respectedKthx is a quality contributor and well respected

If our training/medical staff recommended something like this to AJ to shave a few weeks off his healing time and it ends up jacking up his career for life I would expect some heads to roll ASAP.

I mean AJ just wants to win.. I am sure if someone told him this procedure was safe he would accept it.
Kthx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011   #346
Kthx
All Pro

Rep Power: 8621 Kthx is a quality contributor and well respectedKthx is a quality contributor and well respectedKthx is a quality contributor and well respectedKthx is a quality contributor and well respectedKthx is a quality contributor and well respectedKthx is a quality contributor and well respectedKthx is a quality contributor and well respectedKthx is a quality contributor and well respectedKthx is a quality contributor and well respectedKthx is a quality contributor and well respectedKthx is a quality contributor and well respected

Oh yeah I was meaning to ask also CND, is there any long term side effects of having this procedure done, I mean in 20 years is this going to be detrimental to his health as opposed to letting it heal naturally?
Old 11-01-2011   #347
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cush View Post
wow, has anyone else in sports had a similar procedure?
This is a case where a procedure completes the rupture of a partial tear. The reported experience of sports related complete rupture (which would be close to the equivalent of surgically releasing the hamstring) carries with it a 10+ week recovery if left unrepaired......... if this approach does not fail and requires surgery. It therefore surprises me to think that a "short" recovery was so optimistically and, in my opinion, unrealistically expected to occur.

There is only one case in the orthopedic literature (2006) of this tendon having been surgically released after failed conservative treatment. This was described as "successful," but I could not find if this was in an athlete (especially an elite) or not, or what really defined "successful" or the actual length of "successful" recovery.
Sponsored links
Old 11-01-2011   #348
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kthx View Post
If our training/medical staff recommended something like this to AJ to shave a few weeks off his healing time and it ends up jacking up his career for life I would expect some heads to roll ASAP.

I mean AJ just wants to win.. I am sure if someone told him this procedure was safe he would accept it.
Quote:
Oh yeah I was meaning to ask also CND, is there any long term side effects of having this procedure done, I mean in 20 years is this going to be detrimental to his health as opposed to letting it heal naturally?
If you or I had this procedure done, following the normal healing process, there would be no truly noticeable difference in our everyday activities or in an ordinary "pick up" sports competition. When AJ's professional carrier has ended, it is unlikely that this procedure will have left him with any notable deficits.
Old 11-01-2011   #349
Kthx
All Pro

Thanks for the info again. I don't want any player to have to deal with long term injuries but with AJ it seems more personal to me I guess since he is going to probably give his entire career to Houston and hes done it with nothing but greatness in every area of his life here. Sounds silly I guess but hey hes earned my respect plus some.
Old 11-01-2011   #350
Insideop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11503 Insideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

I'm sure AJ was given all the options and had the final say. He's 30 and been in the league 9 years. He may be looking at this as his only chance to help the team get into the playoffs. He may have decided to roll the dice now and go for it, with the option of having further surgery in the off season, rather that have the repair surgery now and not be able to come back at all this season. It's a tough call either way for him and a tough break for the premier WR in the NFL. I hope he makes it back all the way and we give him a run for the Superbowl! He deserves it!
Insideop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011   #351
Marcus
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 70276 Marcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respected

I don't understand.

I mean, I understand the bit about doing this procedure to "shave a few weeks off the healing time" and all that ...... but what good is it going to do if can no longer get separation from his defenders?

And is that the standard he's using when he says "I'm not playing until I feel 100%"???

Might as well just IR him. I mean .. God damn!
Marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011   #352
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 279120 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

AJ at 80% is still better than 95% of WRs in the NFL...IMO, of course.
Old 11-01-2011   #353
gtexan02
Working?

Rep Power: 48121 gtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respected

Is it going too far to be scared that he has permanently lost his elite acceleration?
Old 11-01-2011   #354
Dutchrudder 
COOL BEANS!

Section: Fort Kickass
Rep Power: 150980 Dutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respected

As long as it doesn't effect his play in 2012, I'm OK with it. All that matters is that he will be able to come back to 100% by next August. It would be great to have him back this year, but I don't want to see his career jeopardized over this. Do the right thing and think of the future, not one year's playoffs.
Old 11-01-2011   #355
Ryan
THIS YEAR

Section: Section 135, Row F
Rep Power: 13416 Ryan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to Ryan

This is depressing me. Schaub never usually completes a pass like that like the one that AJ caught that turned into the injury, just all sorts of flukiness going around.
Old 11-01-2011   #356
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24791 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
This is depressing me. Schaub never usually completes a pass like that like the one that AJ caught that turned into the injury, just all sorts of flukiness going around.
#99 JJ Watt - Dream Big Work Hard
Ole Miss Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011   #357
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel View Post
DB, that may or may not be true depending on what the 20% deficit reflects. If explosiveness/acceleration is as big of an advantage he has had over other WRs, and this is where most of his deficit is felt, he may not necessarily come out better than 95% of WRs. In the elite WR, small factors can affect performance rankings.

AJ has stated that he feels "70%." But, keep in mind that players have been shown to consistently overestimate their status in the rehab process compared to electro-mechanical instrument-measurable determinants.
Old 11-01-2011   #358
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtexan02 View Post
Is it going too far to be scared that he has permanently lost his elite acceleration?
We probably won't have the final answer to the question of his "elite acceleration" until next year. Meanwhile to answer YOUR question.........it isn't going too far to be at least concerned about the ultimate outcome of untested waters.
Old 11-01-2011   #359
Kthx
All Pro

Geez CND, Halloween was yesterday theres no need to scare the shit out of me today.
Old 11-01-2011   #360
fiasco west
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14152 fiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respected

I can understand why the team wanted to do this, considering the timing of the injury...right after the team handled the Steelers easily enough, a Steelers team that turns out to be pretty good btw.

That this team was pretty good and a contender it could have became (although I think that all goes out the window when Mario got hurt)

As far as his explosiveness. Andre is such a talented WR he doesn't need elite speed to get past his guys. He's more physical than any WR in the NFL and his route running. He can still be a top 10 WR at least, I guess we are just going to have to see.
fiasco west is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read