Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 10-02-2011   #1
houstonspartan
Hall of Fame

Section: 324, row N, seats 3 and 4
Rep Power: 21983 houstonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Um, Gary was not "talking to his offense."

This highlight on the NFL network cracks me up. The announcer talks about how Gary Kubiak was "talking to his offense."

Uh, no. Gary was cussing them out like they stole something. He was on a serious rant.

So much for the "Kubiak lacks fire" argument, I guess.

http://http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter...enu=highlights
houstonspartan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011   #2
TexansFanatic
Extremist

Rep Power: 7238 TexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Um, Gary was not "talking to his offense."

That was an important moment for Kubiak.

It was particularly amazing to me because I had just finished telling my friend that if I was Kubiak I'd be screaming my head off at my team.

And lo.....
TexansFanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011   #3
Pantherstang84
@rolisrgti06

Rep Power: 6021 Pantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via MSN to Pantherstang84

I have been one of those calling for Gary's head in the past. However, I am man enough to eat crow when it is warranted. It was nice change today to see him get animated on the sideline and show some emotion. I think the team responded to seeing their coach get fired up. Kubiak gets my game ball this week.
Pantherstang84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011   #4
TexansBull
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 9598 TexansBull is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBull is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBull is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBull is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBull is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBull is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBull is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBull is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBull is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBull is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBull is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by houstonspartan View Post
This highlight on the NFL network cracks me up. The announcer talks about how Gary Kubiak was "talking to his offense."

Uh, no. Gary was cussing them out like they stole something. He was on a serious rant.

I can see where people get because everyone thinks a head coach should act like Cohwer or Gruden and it translates to superbowls.

However I see Kubiak and he looks calm most of the time, but he goes off on the refs in games. ND Kalu once said that Kubiak cut a player in practice in preseason and he never had seen that done before. And I remember Kubiak in his first year getting the offense together and giving them a pep talk when it was a crucial series. I want to say it was the colts or titans. There will always be critics.
TexansBull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011   #5
houstonspartan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 21983 houstonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantherstang84 View Post
I have been one of those calling for Gary's head in the past. However, I am man enough to eat crow when it is warranted. It was nice change today to see him get animated on the sideline and show some emotion. I think the team responded to seeing their coach get fired up. Kubiak gets my game ball this week.
I have definitely been calling for Kubiak to be fired. I was impressed with his fire today. I will give credit where it is due.

Seems like he had a Samuel L. Jackson "Snakes on the plane" moment where he decided ENOUGH.

In case any one is curious. It's a classic rallying line and saved that entire film:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vLaX8UvVUQw
Old 10-02-2011   #6
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

I just can't be swayed for the pure sake of "Texans won today, so all is well."

I'm going to have to have a whole season here. We go on a 3 or 4-game losing streak and become roommates with cellar dweller Colts, and let's see how one ass chewing from Kubiak in a win vs. a depleted Steelers team, at Reliant, means anything in the grand scheme of things.

Sorry, the up-and-down attitude is tiring. Everyone is quick to give praise when we win and head-hunting when we lose. We're beating up weaker teams, and we're struggling vs. teams like the Saints.

Yay, we won. Next week is a trap game, big time.
Old 10-02-2011   #7
houstonspartan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP View Post
I just can't be swayed for the pure sake of "Texans won today, so all is well."

I'm going to have to have a whole season here. We go on a 3 or 4-game losing streak and become roommates with cellar dweller Colts, and let's see how one ass chewing from Kubiak in a win vs. a depleted Steelers team, at Reliant, means anything in the grand scheme of things.

Sorry, the up-and-down attitude is tiring. Everyone is quick to give praise when we win and head-hunting when we lose. We're beating up weaker teams, and we're struggling vs. teams like the Saints.

Yay, we won. Next week is a trap game, big time.
Trust me, I agree. I wasn't annointing Kubiak Coach of The Year. I was merely saying today, in one moment, he was fired up. We don't know if that's what saved the game.

I agree that I have to see an entire season.
Sponsored links
Old 10-02-2011   #8
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Trust me, I agree. I wasn't annointing Kubiak Coach of The Year. I was merely saying today, in one moment, he was fired up. We don't know if that's what saved the game.

I agree that I have to see an entire season.
It indeed saved the day today. For all we know, he had also chewed them out at halftime...and they had not fully received their medicine until chewed out a 2nd time. Or, Kubiak went all "snuggie and Care Bears" on them at halftime and he then had to ratchet up the volume to save face (and the game).

Either way, for this game...Kubiak went over and personally acted like the type of HC we all expect him to be--A guy in charge, vocal, demonstrative, and demanding of better execution on the field. To that end, he did well.

Ravens have no passing game, btw. They just ran the ball on the Jets and used their defense to beat Sanchez and his Jets to a pulp. I think we can take them, but it won't be easy. I'm already looking at that game, man.
Old 10-03-2011   #9
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 217165 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Personally, I thought he'd always been like that. I didn't see anything from Kubiak today that I'd never seen before.

I've never understood the people saying that Kubiak doesn't have fire or passion or heart.

He's always chewed guys out and then walked back to the sideline and looked calm.

Just like you want from a coach.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011   #10
digitalswim
Sleepwalker

Rep Power: 1590 digitalswim is a quality contributor and well respecteddigitalswim is a quality contributor and well respecteddigitalswim is a quality contributor and well respecteddigitalswim is a quality contributor and well respecteddigitalswim is a quality contributor and well respecteddigitalswim is a quality contributor and well respecteddigitalswim is a quality contributor and well respecteddigitalswim is a quality contributor and well respecteddigitalswim is a quality contributor and well respecteddigitalswim is a quality contributor and well respecteddigitalswim is a quality contributor and well respected

Kubiak scares the hell out of me. For someone who is touted as an offensive guru he sure can be ultra conservative at times.

When all we needed was to burn a little clock by getting a first down he was calling 3 rushes and a cloud of dirt. Jeez! At least semi-disguise your intentions. The Steelers just piled up in the box forcing two 3 and outs giving their offense a chance to get back in it. We were just fortunate the Steelers had the walking wounded offensive line.

I hate to rain on the parade but it's very frustrating playing not to lose instead of playing to win. Even though I expect good things this year, I think that this lack of killer instinct on Gary's part is always going to be the Texans Achilles heel.

digitalswim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011   #11
Carr Bombed
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 81208 Carr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

LOL, has nothing to do with it

Even if you "don't have it"...once it's applied to your feet, you feel it, after that you can't help BUT have it. What we're seeing here is a man cornered and a man coaching for his job. He knows if he doesn't deliver this season he'll no longer be a head coach in this league and **** any player who tries to mess that up. Now is not the time to be Mr Nice guy. Long story short....Kubiak is a man cornered this season.
Carr Bombed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011   #12
SuperSerial
Rookie

Rep Power: 0 SuperSerial is a quality contributor and well respectedSuperSerial is a quality contributor and well respectedSuperSerial is a quality contributor and well respectedSuperSerial is a quality contributor and well respectedSuperSerial is a quality contributor and well respectedSuperSerial is a quality contributor and well respectedSuperSerial is a quality contributor and well respectedSuperSerial is a quality contributor and well respectedSuperSerial is a quality contributor and well respectedSuperSerial is a quality contributor and well respectedSuperSerial is a quality contributor and well respected

I hate kubiak, but he gets props today for calling a very rare good game.

Glad to see he had a pulse on the sidelines as well.
SuperSerial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011   #13
Grams 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 23727 Grams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalswim View Post
Kubiak scares the hell out of me. For someone who is touted as an offensive guru he sure can be ultra conservative at times.

When all we needed was to burn a little clock by getting a first down he was calling 3 rushes and a cloud of dirt. Jeez! At least semi-disguise your intentions. The Steelers just piled up in the box forcing two 3 and outs giving their offense a chance to get back in it. We were just fortunate the Steelers had the walking wounded offensive line.

I hate to rain on the parade but it's very frustrating playing not to lose instead of playing to win. Even though I expect good things this year, I think that this lack of killer instinct on Gary's part is always going to be the Texans Achilles heel.

Exactly!
Old 10-03-2011   #14
SuperSerial
Rookie

Rep Power: 0 SuperSerial is a quality contributor and well respectedSuperSerial is a quality contributor and well respectedSuperSerial is a quality contributor and well respectedSuperSerial is a quality contributor and well respectedSuperSerial is a quality contributor and well respectedSuperSerial is a quality contributor and well respectedSuperSerial is a quality contributor and well respectedSuperSerial is a quality contributor and well respectedSuperSerial is a quality contributor and well respectedSuperSerial is a quality contributor and well respectedSuperSerial is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

I disagree. One of Kub's biggest failures is his inability to work the clock, control the flow, and keep opposing offenses (especially against good teams) off the field. Staying conservative and running the ball is the key to this.

In the 4th last week, he threw the ball 18 times and ran it 3 times. That is not how you protect a lead and keep brees off the field. If he would have been more "conservative" and called the game wisely, Brees would not have had the chance to run up the score like he did. An 18/3 ratio is not conservative.

In addition, when behind (even slightly behind), he almost always panics and starts launching an all out air assault. This almost always results in moderate results at best, with plenty of failed drives, and always allows the opposing QB back on the field with plenty of time to burn us. Hard to justfiy that when you have the best rushing offense in the league (last year), and a solid rushing offense this year. A rushing offense that can control the clock, control the flow, and keep opposing QBs off the field.
SuperSerial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011   #15
PapaL
Loose Screw

Rep Power: 112924 PapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

This is pure truth!

Last 3-4 drives, we went into this Mickey Mouse type Offense, after trampling them most of the game. They dared us to pass and we went deep to Jacoby? With AJ out, the Offense need to go through the TEs and RBs, both of which were eating the Steelers lunch all day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Bills View Post
I can confidently say im smarter, better looking, and more successful than you will ever be.
PapaL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011   #16
Lucky

Rep Power: 132950 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

I think Kubiak was upset that the offense had screwed up on the "Sonic Drive of the Day". No points means no free burger. And Gary likes his free burgers.
Old 10-03-2011   #17
Trail.Blazr
All Pro

Rep Power: 19086 Trail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Ravens have no passing game, btw.
YAY!!!! Put me in coach!!!

sincerely,

K-Jax
Old 10-03-2011   #18
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10969 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

Well, if it was Kubiak doing what he had to or it was because he's trying to save his job, the team went out on the very next possesion and scored a clutch TD. Hopefully he learns from this and continues with this. Truth is that we as a team really won this game in all phases and the score would've been about 31-10 if not for the dumb penalties.
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011   #19
Señor Stan
El Guapo

Rep Power: 44650 Señor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
I think Kubiak was upset that the offense had screwed up on the "Sonic Drive of the Day". No points means no free burger. And Gary likes his free burgers.
Saves him from having to read the menu...we all know how tough that is on him.
Señor Stan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011   #20
rmartin65
I'm Score

Rep Power: 58771 rmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Ravens have no passing game, btw. They just ran the ball on the Jets and used their defense to beat Sanchez and his Jets to a pulp. I think we can take them, but it won't be easy. I'm already looking at that game, man.
Wrong. Just because they can beat a team running does not mean they cant throw.
rmartin65 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read