Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 04-24-2005   #1
O.G.
Veteran

Send a message via AIM to O.G. Send a message via Yahoo to O.G.
Default Grade The Texan's Draft

My opinion, I would grade us as a B+, since we did fullfill some positions that we need immediate help in. What does everyone Else Think?

Last edited by O.G.; 04-24-2005 at 05:31 PM.
O.G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2005   #2
ojthecat
Veteran

Talking Final Grade for Texans 2005 Draft

I would have to give us an A+. Call me a homer but I think that we rocked with our choices and if it were up to me I would give CC a big fat bonus.

Old 04-24-2005   #3
WildBlackBear32
All Pro

D. Just being real here. Like I've said recently, I'm not gonna rip the TJ pick anymore, I'll let his play speak. Every pick other than Mathis after that however, was a total shamjob. Multiple highly rated players at positions of need were passed on for no-namers and guys who mirror our weaknesses.
WildBlackBear32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2005   #4
DRIFTAWAY
All Pro

I would give the texans a "B"
Most Improved- Juwan Howard
DRIFTAWAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2005   #5
Davis37
All Pro

Ill give CC a B.

I give him an A+++ for the Mathis pick in the 4th!
Old 04-24-2005   #6
DRIFTAWAY
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildBlackBear32
D. Just being real here. Like I've said recently, I'm not gonna rip the TJ pick anymore, I'll let his play speak. Every pick other than Mathis after that however, was a total shamjob. Multiple highly rated players at positions of need were passed on for no-namers and guys who mirror our weaknesses.
You keep saying we passed on all those quality guys. But all the other teams also passed on them, so have you ever stopped and wondered there is something wrong with them!!! they have a lot more information then you do inside that war room.
Most Improved- Juwan Howard
DRIFTAWAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2005   #7
TigerBait
Veteran

My opinion, as well as anyone elses, does not count in this situation. But CC seems to have gotten the guyz that he wanted, or he wouldnt have drafted them. So i give it a A.
TigerBait is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 04-24-2005   #8
ojthecat
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildBlackBear32
Just because we didn't take DJ with our number 1 pick does not mean that we had a bad draft.

We got a dt that is fast and capable of tying up linemen that is what we needed.

We got a running back that should push DD for the starting job.

We now have one of the fastest recievers in all of football.

We got a fast LB that should provide depth.

This draft rocked we are better now than we were 2 days ago. I beleive that we can now challange for the Divsion.
Old 04-24-2005   #9
done88
Veteran

C THJis was very average draft. Which is what was expected. This is the worst part of the growing pains. When you are not good enough to make the playoffs but too good to get a starter in the draft. Cass said it was going to be an average draft and it was. The good news is that instead of the draft being the high light of the season hopefully it will be the playoffs.
Old 04-24-2005   #10
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ojthecat
We got a dt that is fast and capable of tying up linemen that is what we needed.
This draft rocked we are better now than we were 2 days ago. I beleive that we can now challange for the Divsion.
You need to include PB in our 2005 Draft because he represents our second
and one of our third round picks.
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2005   #11
Nawzer
Alienz

Rep Power: 26584 Nawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respected

I would give us a B+. This was a weak draft and I think we were able to fill some holes that needed to be filled. T.J. gives us a young athletic defensive lineman who can challenge Walker for his starting spot. Once again, it's important in a 3-4 for the lineman to push forward so that your linebackers can make plays. We got younger on defense but we got faster with guys like Morlon Greenwood and Antwaan Peek starting for us. If T.J. and our d-line does what it's supposed to then our speedy linebackers will make plays for us. The more I think about this pick the more I like it. Vernand Morency is a good pick because D.D. and Hollings have a habit of getting injured. Morency is a D.D. type of a back who can come in and start for us if D.D. is injured. Not only that, we now have legit backup who can give D.D. a breather. Hollings hasn't done anything and I doubt he will and J.Wells is a goal line back. Jerome Mathis play Div II ball and it'll take him a bit to run better routes, but I see him contributing immediately as a kick returner and a no.4 receiver. I think he will be a very dangerous slot guy. Teams will not leave him alone which will make A.J. even more dangerous. I like the rest of the picks with the o-linesman from Arizona State. I think he can learn and he can play multiple position so that's definitely a plus. Don't know much about Ceandris Brown but I trust C.C. knows what he's doing. I liked the Pettway pick because I've seen him play and he's a fast linebacker. All in all a pretty solid draft but C.C. better hope that T.J. becomes a good player for us otherwise watch out for the backlash he will suffer specially if D.J. turns out to be a stud. But I really think T.J. was a good pick because we desperately needed to improve our pash rush attack and now guys like Gary Walker have an extra incentive to play better.
Old 04-24-2005   #12
F-minus67
Hall of Fame

For this coming season I give it a C-, other that Johnson and maybe Mathis there are no other rookies who have a shot at starting. But for the future I give it a B, all these can play and will play given time to mature. And when you add in the trade for Buchanan, someone who is close to making the pro bowl. Overall I'll give the entire draft a A-.
Old 04-24-2005   #13
MojoMan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11949 MojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respected

If the Texan's inside linebackers show significant improvement on the field over last year, I will gladly give this draft an A.
MojoMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2005   #14
WildBlackBear32
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by ojthecat
Just because we didn't take DJ with our number 1 pick does not mean that we had a bad draft.

When did I say anything about DJ??? In fact over the past two weeks, I've said that I was starting to lose love for DJ. We took a DT, yes it's a position of need, however it's also a guy most people grade out to a very late first to mid second rounder. A guy who has character issues on a team that prides itself on weeding troublemakers out. The RB will push DD??? If we're gonna go by Age, this RB will retire BEFORE DD. The LB is fast and he does provide depth. Peek does the same thing. Cheatwood. Chamberlin. Polk. All depth guys. Don't you think it'd be much smarter to take a player at a dry position like DL or S?
WildBlackBear32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2005   #15
BattleRedGuy
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by F-minus67
For this coming season I give it a C-, other that Johnson and maybe Mathis there are no other rookies who have a shot at starting. But for the future I give it a B, all these can play and will play given time to mature. And when you add in the trade for Buchanan, someone who is close to making the pro bowl. Overall I'll give the entire draft a A-.
Ditto. Morency should be able to fill in as a spot starter since D.D. will probably miss a game or two.
BattleRedGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2005   #16
Rosusu
All Pro

Ask this question in 2 years............
Old 04-24-2005   #17
royce1054
All Pro

Send a message via MSN to royce1054 Send a message via Yahoo to royce1054

I dont believe any will start this season. Johnson, Mathas, Morrency will prob see the most time. The rest will prob be special teams or fighting for a spot.
royce1054 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2005   #18
lucky13

some good, a lot of bad.

first for the bad- unless johnson is the next warren sapp, this was a terrible pick. there were proven productive players at need positions everywhere, esp. OL. the texans are a team that can't afford too many more overpayments like babin, hollings, joppru, ragone, ... and yet he reached. seemingly an act of desperation.

fwiw, i actually like the morency pick, as i liked the domanick davis pick. hollings can't play. the hollings pick will join tony boselli in the texans' hall of shame. i don't recall if cedric houston was still available- i would prefer houston over morency.

now for the good- perhaps the texans are finally dropping their faith-based system for screening players. in the long run, this will help a lot. unfortunately, the very poor job they have done in recent drafts means they might not have much more time to prove themselves.

Last edited by lucky13; 04-24-2005 at 05:51 PM.
Old 04-24-2005   #19
Grid
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2272 Grid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respected
Default My personal draft grade and analysis

Overall: B-

Travis Johnson: A- "We are upgrading the speed of our defense, and trying to generate a pass rush, that is why this pick gets an A-. We needed a young talented Dlineman to start working with. Walker and Payne are both up in years and getting injury prone. They are making alot of money and most likely will not be around in a season or two. Travis Johnson looks like he can be a two cap tackle with a bit of practice, and with his speed and athletic ability, could possibly be very good at collapsing the pocket and flushing out the QB for our OLBs. I would give this pick an A+ but he has had some injury issues and could POSSIBLY have some attitude issues. However, I think he will be a future starter for us and has the potential to be a playmaker in the front seven. "

Vernand Morency: C- "We needed depth at RB, that is a given. Hollings is NOT showing anything to make me beleive he will work out for us, and while I personally think Wells is a good 2nd string RB and change of pace back, the coaches obviously dont. Morency provides a bit of speed (according to those "in the know") as well as some of the shiftyness that is DD's staple. However, again, there are attitude issues, and he is another small back that is very DD like. A change of pace, by definition, is something that is different from the norm.. DD is the norm, and Morency isnt very different. Additionally, a big back that can pound the ball would have been better able to take advantage of a tired defense in the 3rd and 4th quarter.. or.. possibly help to tire the defense out in the 1st and 2nd so that DD could take advantage of it in the 3rd and 4th. Morency could possibly be a good RB for us, but he could just as easily share the same reliability issues that DD has."

Jerome Mathis: C- "Well we did need a young WR to give us the speed and big play ability opposite of Andre Johnson, but is this really the guy? at 5'11", 181lbs I doubt he is the kind of WR who is gonna jump up and TAKE the ball from the CB. More than likely he will depend on his speed to distance himself and make the catch in the open field. Another knock against him is his hands. He doesnt catch the ball with his hands, but instead uses his chest to "Cradle" the ball. How long will it take him to be able to catch one of Carr's rockets on the fly? The good news is that he may not be our future #2 guy. it is entirely possible that we could make Gaffney or Armstrong our #2, and bring out Mathis on passing downs to give us that deep threat. Either way, this is not the kind of impact player I would expect to make a big difference on our Offense."

Drew Hodgdon: A- "One of our better picks. Hodgdon looks to be a very promising Center or Guard for us. He has good size (despite what the scout reports say) and actually seems to have all the agility and ability in open space that you would want from an interior lineman in a zone blocking scheme. If you look at the Denver Oline, many of their linemen are SMALLER than Hodgdon, but seem to posses those same characteristics that he does. The biggest concerns listed for him seem to be his lower body strength, our weight training program will cure that quickly. He could be getting reps for us as soon as the middle of next season I think. Either way, this was a good pick to get an interior lineman to groom for the future."

C.C. Brown: B- "Looks like he could come in and be an immediate impact on special teams with his athletic ability. at 6'0" 206, with a 4.46 40, I am thinking this could possibly be our FS of the future. We are, obviously, looking to replace our old expansion draft veterans with youthful player of our own choosing, and CC looks like he fits the "speed requirements" of our defense perfectly. However, he is very much a small school prospect, and will likely need AT LEAST a couple seasons before he can do anything more than special teams. "

Kenneth Pettway:D+ "It seems that our F.O. enjoyed picking Babin last year and decided to scout the small schools ALOT this year. To their credit though, they seem to have found some nice prospects. But im not sure this is one of them, and I am not sure what we plan on doing with this guy. At 236 pounds, he is not an OLB, and judging by his workout numbers he is a workout warrior so adding weight to him probably isnt an option. Chances are, he is an ILB.. but he apparently has not much experience in coverage and looks uncomfortable dropping into coverage. If I had to put money on one of our draft picks not making the team.. it would be this guy. I sure hope im wrong though"

I see 3 starters coming out of this draft. Johnson, Hodgdon, and C.C. Brown. I see 2 depth players in Jerome Mathis and Vernand Morency. and I see 1 bust in Pettway. Looking at our past drafts.. 3 starters is the Norm.. so, this draft would be no better or worse than any past draft we have had. I guess that my score of 81(B-) fits then.
Grid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2005   #20
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patriot
3) If they don't improve the offensive line, some of us are going to continue seeing the Boselli expansion draft pick as insane. Does anyone recall that we could have picked Willie Roaf,
There is a lot to pick apart but I'll leave it at this one item. Roaf wasn't on the expansion list. He was taken off for medical reasons I believe.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read