Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 10-02-2011   #1
Malloy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 10235 Malloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respected
Default The booted bootleg?

As with last week, are we even sporting the bootleg in the playlist anymore?

run/run/pass/punt playcalling is making me beat up pillows.

But... I did'nt _really_ look, but thinking back I'm not sure I've seen a single bootleg... is it me or are our bootlegging days done?
Old 10-02-2011   #2
ThaJokaa
True Texans Fan

Rep Power: 7520 ThaJokaa is a quality contributor and well respectedThaJokaa is a quality contributor and well respectedThaJokaa is a quality contributor and well respectedThaJokaa is a quality contributor and well respectedThaJokaa is a quality contributor and well respectedThaJokaa is a quality contributor and well respectedThaJokaa is a quality contributor and well respectedThaJokaa is a quality contributor and well respectedThaJokaa is a quality contributor and well respectedThaJokaa is a quality contributor and well respectedThaJokaa is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: The booted bootleg?

I hope not! We always get the ball deep with that play!
ThaJokaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011   #3
EllisUnit
Homerism Champ

Section: 2" from the TV, Screaming.
Rep Power: 71024 EllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloy View Post

But... I did'nt _really_ look, but thinking back I'm not sure I've seen a single bootleg... is it me or are our bootlegging days done?
i didnt see one single bootleg this game either, we didnt go for any home runs except that one to J.J the whole game either.
Old 10-02-2011   #4
mariowillshine15
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2511 mariowillshine15 is a quality contributor and well respectedmariowillshine15 is a quality contributor and well respectedmariowillshine15 is a quality contributor and well respectedmariowillshine15 is a quality contributor and well respectedmariowillshine15 is a quality contributor and well respectedmariowillshine15 is a quality contributor and well respectedmariowillshine15 is a quality contributor and well respectedmariowillshine15 is a quality contributor and well respectedmariowillshine15 is a quality contributor and well respectedmariowillshine15 is a quality contributor and well respectedmariowillshine15 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

I think they just went extremely conservative.

Maybe scared Pitt would blitz and Schaub would get clobbered.
mariowillshine15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011   #5
ObsiWan
Contributor

Rep Power: 171989 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by EllisUnit View Post
i didnt see one single bootleg this game either, we didnt go for any home runs except that one to J.J the whole game either.
I saw a couple. Both times Polamalu came hard at Schaub as soon as he started to roll out. LeBeau had his boys prepared for that play so it had to be put on the shelf.
ObsiWan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011   #6
Malloy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 10235 Malloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by mariowillshine15 View Post
I think they just went extremely conservative.

Maybe scared Pitt would blitz and Schaub would get clobbered.
Then instead we *surprise* run it on every first down we have... If I know what to expect, I'm pretty sure the Steelers know it too.

I want my bootlegs back
Old 10-02-2011   #7
sometexansfan
Blue Bomber

Rep Power: 142 sometexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedsometexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedsometexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedsometexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedsometexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedsometexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedsometexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedsometexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedsometexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedsometexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedsometexansfan is a quality contributor and well respected

I don't think so, running the boot against Pittsburgh usually isn't a good idea. I remember a few years ago when the Broncos played them in the AFC championship, they tried to run the boot, but Pittsburgh just sent someone after the quarterback no matter what and shut it down.
sometexansfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 10-02-2011   #8
Malloy
Site Contributor

I hope you're right, that it's because of the Steelers, but last week we saw no bootlegs in the second half either.

I guess my point is that in order for other teams to fear the bootleg, we'll have to run it at some point...
Old 10-02-2011   #9
TheMatrix31
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 52329 TheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respected

We don't have the players to make it happen.

You need a reliable running game.

We only have Tate. Or we only have Foster.

We need Foster/Ward, Foster/Tate or Ward/Tate to run it.
TheMatrix31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011   #10
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 200326 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

There are teams and schemes you run the bootleg against and there are teams and schemes you don't.

We ran at least 2 bootlegs in this game but both times the contain guy was coming for Schaub and Schaub had to get the ball out quick to keep from getting sacked.

IIRC, the play where Andre got hurt was a bootleg.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011   #11
sometexansfan
Blue Bomber

Rep Power: 142 sometexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedsometexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedsometexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedsometexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedsometexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedsometexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedsometexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedsometexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedsometexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedsometexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedsometexansfan is a quality contributor and well respected

After seeing how Foster ran today, I would expect to see a few next week against an aggressive Raiders defense.
sometexansfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011   #12
playa465
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 1969 playa465 is a quality contributor and well respectedplaya465 is a quality contributor and well respectedplaya465 is a quality contributor and well respectedplaya465 is a quality contributor and well respectedplaya465 is a quality contributor and well respectedplaya465 is a quality contributor and well respectedplaya465 is a quality contributor and well respectedplaya465 is a quality contributor and well respectedplaya465 is a quality contributor and well respectedplaya465 is a quality contributor and well respectedplaya465 is a quality contributor and well respected

As others have mentioned the Steelers are a team that would seriously kill the QB on a bootleg...with their OLBs and that TP, I would fear for Schaub's life
playa465 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011   #13
hradhak
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 6498 hradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respected

It's a great play when you have a defense that is worried about getting destroyed by the run. The Colts can't stop the run and get fixated on stopping it and so it is easy to run the boot. The Steelers have great contain with their LBs so they can stop the boot. I imagine we won't see it against the Ravens, but we'll probably see it against the Raiders
hradhak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011   #14
TimeKiller
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Location: This giant tree, standing 10,000 ft. high but not reaching the ground. It's roots must hold the sky.
Section: 521/Couch
Rep Power: 0 TimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respected

run/run/pass/punt kills me too. He started that about 3 drives too early. Defense really bailed out that weakass attempt at ball control. The whole point of their philosophy is not getting into long down and distance. It's not even a killer instinct, it's losing aggression altogether. Cowardly playcalling at the end, that's all I can say. That and the D stepped up.
TimeKiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011   #15
Norg
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11489 Norg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respected

I hate the playcalling has well

Run/RUn/Pass/Punt

But when AJ went down i think we got kinda missplaced IMO

I HOPE""""""""" next week we will do some different stuff

FOr such a so called Offesnive Guro in Kunbes open some stuff UP !!!! i wanna see something stuff just off the top of my head

Screen plays
Toss plays to a RB
shovel pass
every once in a while throw a deep ball strike to the endzone !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Norg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011   #16
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
There are teams and schemes you run the bootleg against and there are teams and schemes you don't.

We ran at least 2 bootlegs in this game but both times the contain guy was coming for Schaub and Schaub had to get the ball out quick to keep from getting sacked.

IIRC, the play where Andre got hurt was a bootleg.
Yep.

And just to add to what you wrote, when the offensive coordinator sees that the olb is ignoring the run and keying qb that's when you let your back and oline know that the cutback is there for the taking.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011   #17
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 207979 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc

I believe the play where AJ hurt himself was a bootleg that was sniffed out. Schaub had to throw the ball before he got the chance to roll out, and AJ made a pretty good grab on a low pass that was thrown under duress.
Old 10-03-2011   #18
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 200326 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

The only part of run/run/pass/punt that kills me is the punt part (or the turning the ball over part.) pass/pass/pass/punt is much worse because then you give the ball over and you haven't even run any of the clock off.

With Foster, the run/run part alone could get you a first down.

So, for me, I'm not bothered by that part of the play-calling. I am bothered that the team doesn't execute and force our will on the defense and get a first down. A great team with the lead goes run/run/pass and gets a first down somewhere in that sequence and starts it all over again and that's what we've got to aspire to.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011   #19
Maddict5
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 5500 Maddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Then instead we *surprise* run it on every first down we have... If I know what to expect, I'm pretty sure the Steelers know it too.

I want my bootlegs back
how did you not see the steelers were def playing the bootlegs hard? the play aj got injured was an aborted bootleg by schaub cos troy was coming hard after him... i remember there were other run plays where there was a steeler either waiting for or blitzing matt. 1 of the reasons arian got his long td was that woodley was playing the bootleg more than staying in his running lane.
Maddict5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011   #20
sakebomb
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1859 sakebomb is a quality contributor and well respectedsakebomb is a quality contributor and well respectedsakebomb is a quality contributor and well respectedsakebomb is a quality contributor and well respectedsakebomb is a quality contributor and well respectedsakebomb is a quality contributor and well respectedsakebomb is a quality contributor and well respectedsakebomb is a quality contributor and well respectedsakebomb is a quality contributor and well respectedsakebomb is a quality contributor and well respectedsakebomb is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm thinking it had to do with Troy Polamalu being so good at reading, reacting, and blowing up plays. That guy is all over the field.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read