Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 10-06-2011   #141
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 380289 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Mario FREAKING WILLIAMS....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carr Bombed View Post
Please don't be coy here, there have been plenty who have acted like the ONLY reason why Smith is able to do what he's done this season is because of Mario
Find me a couple posts demonstrating this as I haven't seen it.

I have seen posts saying Mario's stats aren't the only demonstration of his benefit to the team. Personally I have been arguing Smith was better than people give him credit for a couple years. Players feed off each other. Smith benefits from Mario being on the field and Mario benefits from Smith being on the field. It is the absolutes like there is no game planing if a player ever faces a one on one match up that are ridiculous.
Old 10-06-2011   #142
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 86293 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Please don't be coy here, there have been plenty who have acted like the ONLY reason why Smith is able to do what he's done this season is because of Mario
Could you at least break the sweat it would require to do a search for these posts displaying the point you are trying to argue against since nobody has presented it in this thread.
Old 10-06-2011   #143
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Section: Channel 700-ish on NFL Sunday Ticket
Rep Power: 100454 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
And likewise to anyone who thinks Mario is the only reason why A. Smith is getting off and making plays or tries to credit all of his production this year to Mario Williams. Both players are getting theirs, because they are just that good.
Very true.
Old 10-06-2011   #144
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
The real reason is that Smith needs to be on the inside; he is more effective there; it was my call from the beginning.

Leave Mario on the edge because that's where he's most effective just the same.

That said, if there's an injury on the line we cannot afford, it is Mario's at the time being.

A lot of people think that Mario can be effective inside; if Antonio was to be injured, the Texans can choose to move Mario inside.

If Mario was to be injured, Antonio cannot spell Mario on the outside.
Mario can take over Antonio's position; it can't be said the same in role reversal.
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011   #145
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 101211 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cush View Post
You keep saying he's looked underwhelming but if he stays on pace and ends up with 16 sacks is he still going to be underwhelming because that number is just a stat? I don't honestly believe you are a Mario hater but I think you so strongly believe he would be better served as a 3-4 DE that your view on how he plays as an OLB will always be jaded.
I don't believe he will stay on this pace but if he does then yes I am wrong. You can't deny 16 sacks. As far as being jaded, that's very possible but it's also possible that people are so enamored with having a 290 pound outside linebacker that they are getting overly excited about anything positive he does and blow it out of proportion. The next few weeks will clear all this up. Again, I hope I'm wrong I really would love to see Mario start tearing it up and our defense become Raven like. Then it wouldn't matter if all we did was kick field goals everytime we got in the red zone.
Old 10-06-2011   #146
Carr Bombed
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 104725 Carr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0ng View Post
Could you at least break the sweat it would require to do a search for these posts displaying the point you are trying to argue against since nobody has presented it in this thread.
Umm no, because I would have to go through multiple threads and I don't care to exert the effort or time since I already know that you know the exact argument and point I'm making here. Are you really going to sit there and act like people weren't giving most of the credit of A. Smith's success to the performance of Mario Williams? Sorry, but pulling up all of that crap isn't worth my time at this hour. I have too many things to do in the morning and all anybody needs to do is go back and read.

Last edited by Carr Bombed; 10-07-2011 at 12:04 AM.
Carr Bombed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011   #147
Carr Bombed
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 104725 Carr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post
The real reason is that Smith needs to be on the inside; he is more effective there; it was my call from the beginning.

That said, if there's an injury on the line we cannot afford, it is Mario's at the time being.

A lot of people think that Mario can be effective inside; if Antonio was to be injured, the Texans can choose to move Mario inside.

Mario can take over Antonio's position; it can't be said the same in role reversal.
Disagree. This is where we differ and where people call me a "hater", just because I have a difference of opinion and DON'T think that Mario Williams is our "most important defender".

Is we lost Antonio Smith, we'd be up **** creek without a paddle. How so quick people forget that in a completely different defensive system, he was our most consistent and best defender...and now in this new system, he has been the same thing.

Now don't fret, this doesn't make me a "hater", it just makes me a truth teller. Antonio Smith has been our best defender on this defense. I mean YES Mario makes outstanding plays, but he isn't consistent at all. Sorry but, I'll always take consistency. Mario Williams is a amazing weapon...but Smith has been better, simply because week in and week out you can count on him.
Sponsored links
Old 10-07-2011   #148
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post

I agree with everything here except I don't see how Mario being more versatile is relevant to this convo. But other than that you pretty much nailed it.

Smith is much better when he's not the outside rusher. Mario plays best from the edge.

But arguing about Mario vs smith when it comes to their value to the team is not something. I like both of them and I just don't want to tear one of them down to make point about the other. I hope both keep up what they've been doing so far.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011   #149
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 138542 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm of the opinion that we should've drafted VY instead of Mario or Bush!!
Old 10-07-2011   #150
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 288753 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan_Bill View Post
I'm of the opinion that we should've drafted VY instead of Mario or Bush!!
Just imagine what a beast Mario would be if he had the coaching of the Tennessee Titan's defensive staff

& what a monster Vince would be with Kubiak, the QB Guru
Old 10-07-2011   #151
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 138542 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
Just imagine what a beast Mario would be if he had the coaching of the Tennessee Titan's defensive staff

All joking aside, they're both interesting points.
Old 10-07-2011   #152
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 143421 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan_Bill View Post
All joking aside, they're both interesting points.
Not really. Damn near triggered my gag reflexes at the thought
Old 10-07-2011   #153
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOU-TEX View Post
Not really. Damn near triggered my gag reflexes at the thought
I didn't say I was fond of the idea, just that it was an interesting point. I would still take Mario every day of the week and twice on Sundays over "steppin' and fetchin'"!
Old 10-07-2011   #154
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 86293 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Umm no, because I would have to go through multiple threads and I don't care to exert the effort or time since I already know that you know the exact argument and point I'm making here. Are you really going to sit there and act like people weren't giving most of the credit of A. Smith's success to the performance of Mario Williams? Sorry, but pulling up all of that crap isn't worth my time at this hour. I have too many things to do in the morning and all anybody needs to do is go back and read.
Then I'll just choose to believe you are talking out of your ass like always since you can't be bothered to show anybody discussing that point you tried to argue against.-
Old 10-07-2011   #155
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 101211 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cush View Post
Antonio has been killing it and deserves all the credit in the world for his play. He and Duane Brown have really impressed me with how they have taken their games to new levels this year
100% agree with this. They they are Offensive and Defensive MVP's for us right now.
Old 10-08-2011   #156
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 294595 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post

I'm not sure how much better Mario would be on the Titans, but I think VY would have actually made something of himself under Kubiak. This isn't to say VY wouldn't have self destructed like he did, I'm just saying the atmosphere for a QB is much better in Houston than in Tennessee.

But, given the wonderful knowledge of hindsight, I'm happy as hell we got Mario instead of Young or Bush.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011   #157
Goatcheese
Nightmare Over

Rep Power: 118532 Goatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respected

JJ Watt looks good. Trade Maria now while her stock is high.

“Every man takes the limits of his own field of vision for the limits of the world.” -Arthur Schopenhauer
Goatcheese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011   #158
welsh texan
Lest we forget

Rep Power: 22601 welsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Antonio Smith played across from Mario Williams LAST SEASON ALSO. Why didn't he have the sack #s then?

Seriously, why the hell is everyone writing off what Antonio has been able to do this year and are just trying to give all the credit for his production to Mario Williams. Frankly it's stupid. If you actually watch Antonio Smith's sacks this season, he's getting those sacks, because he's consistently winning his individual match ups WEEK IN AND WEEK OUT. He is our most consistent defender, which is exactly what he was last year as well. Hell the man is even drawing double teams and beating them...still no credit for him though, it's all Mario.

The biggest improvement in Antonio's game this season lies in the fact that we finally have a defensive coach that knows what the heck he's doing and a defensive coach who has the ability to put players in the best position to succeed. People need to stop tearing a player's performance/ability down just to build another player up. There were two game balls given out to the defense this week. One went to Allen and the other to Smith. Smith is a damn good player in this league, can earn his own keep, and he's responsible for his own production. If you want to start a thread praising Mario, by all means do that...he deserves praise for his performance yesterday, but can we please stop acting like he is the only reason why Antonio is balling his ass off this season, because that simply is not the case and is disingenuous.

Does Mario Williams being on the field help Antonio...yeah it does, but guess what? Antonio Smith being on the field ALSO HELPS MARIO. Antonio Smith being on the field also helps J.J. Watt. J.J. Watt being on the field also helps Antonio Smith and Mario Williams. Heck even Connor Barwin's speed off the edge is something teams have to account for and deal with and even it is helping other players on this defense. ALL OF THESE PLAYERS BEING ON THE FIELD TOGETHER ARE HELPING EACHOTHER. That's what happens when you have talented players and a talented from 7, it all goes hand in hand. You can't just key on one player.
welsh texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011   #159
stingray
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 33416 stingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goatcheese View Post
JJ Watt looks good. Trade Maria now while her stock is high.

Yeah.. Ok...
stingray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011   #160
Carr Bombed
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0ng View Post
Then I'll just choose to believe you are talking out of your ass like always since you can't be bothered to show anybody discussing that point you tried to argue against.-
Did a mod really erase the post that I posted earlier in response to this post? Sorry, but that's absolute CRAP. What B.S.

I'd really like to know who did that and please tell me why the above poster's post wasn't removed. Gee let me guess, that mod must've thought I was a "Hater" also. That is absolute crap. grow a pair. If you're going to remove a post of mine atleast send me a P.I telling me what I did wrong with that post and the things I need to clean up.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read