Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 10-06-2011   #121
brakos82
Hall of Fame

Section: 1009 E. Union
Rep Power: 52901 brakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to brakos82
Default Re: Mario FREAKING WILLIAMS....

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsiWan View Post
You keep dangling the bait but ain't nobody biting.
(and, no, this doesn't count)
I know. Damn serious people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexanSam View Post
For being the most intelligent form of life on our planet, we sure do some incredibly stupid things.
brakos82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011   #122
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10969 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

I would suggest that we keep Mario upset and remind him again how bad he sucks.
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011   #123
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 300095 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by mussop View Post
What is this supposed to show that Pitt game planned specific for Mario?
No that was supposed to demonstrate (and did quite easily) that your assertions about double teams and TE's were wrong.

Quote:
Watch the games
Right back at you.

Quote:
, there is no game planning to stop Mario. These are basic protection schemes. If they were game planning to stop him he would never get one on one opportunities. Which he does boatloads of times each game.
Now we see the problem - fundamental misunderstanding of football knowledge. That is just a ludicrous assertion as others above have pointed out. In fact, game planning will sometimes consist of leaving someone completely unblocked with a call like a quick bootleg to the opposite side.
Old 10-06-2011   #124
BigBull17
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 6163 BigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Watch the games, there is no game planning to stop Mario. These are basic protection schemes. If they were game planning to stop him he would never get one on one opportunities. Which he does boatloads of times each game.

Thats what you people that are so enamored with Mario at OLB need to focus on. The one on one opportunities that Mario has been getting each game. Like it or not he is getting a ton of them and is seldom winning them. It is what it is. That is where he should shine because of the position he is playing and he simply isn't accomplishing what he should be in those situations.

If you just want to look at stats and ignore the possibilities thats fine with me but when you consider what he could be doing to opposing guards ala Smith with his abilities in this scheme, it seems to me his natural talent is being wasted.

I would much rather see him inside closer to the ball creating mismatches against less athletic guards than lined up outside far away from the ball going against the best OL on the opposing team. Guess I'm just stupid like that.
If you move Mario, which isn't going to happen nor should it, then Brooks Reed will be the starter. No. He has looked underwhelming. Not to say he wont be better down the road, but he is very far from anything but a bit role player.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EllisUnit View Post
if u recorded the game go back and watch. The TE would motion to M.W side every time, i even saw the QB motion him back and forth cause M.W kept switching sides. I'm sorry man but O.C's do gameplan for Williams.
You're using logic to argue with a hater. I really shouldn't bother either, cause guys like he and Dale Murphy will never back off. Mario could beat the whole oline at the same time and they would say his technique was sloppy and that Antonio Smith would have done it faster and caused a fumble.
Old 10-06-2011   #125
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 81730 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
He lines up opposite the TE and he hardly ever gets double teamed.
As a WILL (weak side LB), Mario doesn't see the TE as much as the SAM (Barwin).

When you see Mario lining up accross a TE, usually, the offense was in a 2-TE set.
(Occasionally, Mario does play as a "true" SAM, but very rarely.)

Normally, offenses motion the TE to try to gauge coverage (particularly in the secondary.)
The 3-4 defense can shift the OLBs if they choose to.
They often do, but sometimes, they leave them as is.
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011   #126
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 108115 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Tejano View Post
I would suggest that we keep Mario upset and remind him again how bad he sucks.
He's the worst, ever!!

Old 10-06-2011   #127
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10969 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan_Bill View Post
He's the worst, ever!!

That's it..that's it!
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 10-06-2011   #128
The Cush
All Pro

Rep Power: 2778 The Cush is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Cush is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Cush is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Cush is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Cush is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Cush is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Cush is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Cush is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Cush is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Cush is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Cush is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Watch the games, there is no game planning to stop Mario. These are basic protection schemes. If they were game planning to stop him he would never get one on one opportunities. Which he does boatloads of times each game.

Thats what you people that are so enamored with Mario at OLB need to focus on. The one on one opportunities that Mario has been getting each game. Like it or not he is getting a ton of them and is seldom winning them. It is what it is. That is where he should shine because of the position he is playing and he simply isn't accomplishing what he should be in those situations.

If you just want to look at stats and ignore the possibilities thats fine with me but when you consider what he could be doing to opposing guards ala Smith with his abilities in this scheme, it seems to me his natural talent is being wasted.

I would much rather see him inside closer to the ball creating mismatches against less athletic guards than lined up outside far away from the ball going against the best OL on the opposing team. Guess I'm just stupid like that.
He's gone against a couple of Pro-Bowlers already this season and he's just suppose to dominate those 1 on 1 matchups and get a sack every play? He's on pace for 16 sacks and how long has he played this position for?

Like someone else said, by moving him inside you are basically replacing JJ Watt with Brooks Reed in the lineup. Antonio Smith isn't getting his spot taken and I don't think they've even considered using JJ Watt at the nose so to the bench he goes. That seems extremely counter-productive. And as a 3-4 DE you are more likely to see double teams just by the nature of lining up inside a couple of lineman, but your already complaining Mario just doesn't win 1 on 1 matchups let's have him go 2 on 1?
The Cush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011   #129
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 92801 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
Now we see the problem - fundamental misunderstanding of football knowledge. That is just a ludicrous assertion as others above have pointed out. In fact, game planning will sometimes consist of leaving someone completely unblocked with a call like a quick bootleg to the opposite side.
Of course there are situations that will allow him one on one where he has no chance of making a play such as a toss or run to the opposite side or a quick 2 step drop play. I thought I was talking to people with a fundamental understanding of football knowledge. Didn't think it was necessary to point out the obvious.
Old 10-06-2011   #130
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 92801 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBull17 View Post
If you move Mario, which isn't going to happen nor should it, then Brooks Reed will be the starter. No. He has looked underwhelming. Not to say he wont be better down the road, but he is very far from anything but a bit role player.
Mario has looked underwhelming at OLB unless you look at nothing but stats.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBull17 View Post
You're using logic to argue with a hater. I really shouldn't bother either, cause guys like he and Dale Murphy will never back off. Mario could beat the whole oline at the same time and they would say his technique was sloppy and that Antonio Smith would have done it faster and caused a fumble.
I'm a hater? really? I was one of the few on here that begged for Mario over VY and Bush. I have always wanted Mario to succeed but I'm not going to blindly follow the herd just because he was a number one pick. The only thing I have ever really criticized Mario about was his lack of technique (coaching fault) and the coaching allowing him to run himself out of the play to much in the past. His abilities were being wasted back then too by letting him play the role of a speed rusher, something he is not and will never be.

I believe Mario would be a dominating game changer if they would just put him in the right spot and teach him the proper technique. He has all the ability in the world, he just need a coach that will put him where he belongs. Like Wade Phillips said when he first got here, Mario could be another Bruce Smith in this system. But then Phillips for what ever reason, decides Mario needs to play outside.

Even now his best plays are when his hand is on the ground and he doesn't try and out run the T by looping around him. I just don't see Mario ever being a dominating OLB. I can see him if coached up and put in the right spot being a Bruce smith like presence and that would take this defense from pretty good to great. But hey I'm a hater so I'm just haten.
Old 10-06-2011   #131
mussop
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cush View Post
He's gone against a couple of Pro-Bowlers already this season and he's just suppose to dominate those 1 on 1 matchups and get a sack every play? He's on pace for 16 sacks and how long has he played this position for?
He's gone against more than his fair share of backups and those are the battles he needs to be dominating. Pitt, Indy and NO all played backups at T.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cush View Post
Like someone else said, by moving him inside you are basically replacing JJ Watt with Brooks Reed in the lineup. Antonio Smith isn't getting his spot taken and I don't think they've even considered using JJ Watt at the nose so to the bench he goes. That seems extremely counter-productive. And as a 3-4 DE you are more likely to see double teams just by the nature of lining up inside a couple of lineman, but your already complaining Mario just doesn't win 1 on 1 matchups let's have him go 2 on 1?
Why would they not consider moving Watt to the middle? You don't think he would be better than Cody? Again Mario isn't winning the one on one battles because he is playing out of position and going against the better athletes at T. Putting him inside would allow him to go against slower less athletic guards and centers.

So in the middle his job wouldn't be to try and get around an athletic T. It would be to over power or out maneuver less athletic guards and get to the QB or push the pocket back allowing speed off the edge to get to the QB or force him back into Mario. This is more suited to his abilities. Always has been. The problem is he is so athletic (for his size) coaches are to tempted to make him into a pure outside rusher.

Hell I hope I'm wrong and he all the sudden explodes and becomes the next LT. If not I fear we are missing out on having our version of Bruce Smith for a solid run stopping OLB that occasionally makes a good play rushing the passer.
Old 10-06-2011   #132
mussop
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
So if we allow Winston or Brown to go one on one with Freeney, Mathis, Harrison or Wake, we aren't game planning against them?
Of course there is alot more to it than that. There are going to be times when the played called dictates that Brown or Winston will get one on one's with those guys. When you see a slow developing play and Mario on an Island going one on one with a T you can't tell me that the other team is specifically game planning against him. And especially when you see him going one on one against RT's and backup T's which I've seen plenty of this year already.
Old 10-06-2011   #133
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Section: Channel 700-ish on NFL Sunday Ticket
Rep Power: 72571 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected

I've missed quite a bit of action on this thread. 1st off, no one on here was a bigger critic of MW as WOLB in the preseason than yours truly. I've eaten 4 helpings of crow so far for that. As was pointed out so often to me is that MW is just scratching the surface of what he can do from this position and just give him time. 4 games into the season, I'm hoping we resign him or franchise him because the man can flat out play the position. In 18-ish quarters (including preseason), he's made a believer out of me. The big man can play.

We have to remember that Phillips is still spoon feeding his scheme to the entire defense, so we haven't seen all the wrinkles he's got up his rather extensive coaching sleeve and MW is still very much in learning mode. To have accomplished what he has so far is very impressive. The salad days are very much in front of us with this defense and 9 or so of the starters on it. I expect to see the D play its best ball after the bye week when Phillips has most of his scheme installed and the players are more instinctual with the base sets. Just in time for a big playoff push headed for Indy!!

If anyone thinks for a second that teams aren't scheming for MW and Phillips ain't scheming to get him one-on-one, they're either being intellectually dishonest by playing devil's advocate or they have no clue about football.

Not Mike
Old 10-06-2011   #134
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 70440 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected

Mario Williams and the rest of the defense is not playing in such a way that would warrant changing around all these players and positions being changed. How about we talk about a position change that is just as likely to happen : Garrett Graham to WR.
Old 10-06-2011   #135
Carr Bombed
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83762 Carr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBar View Post
If anyone thinks for a second that teams aren't scheming for MW and Phillips ain't scheming to get him one-on-one, they're either being intellectually dishonest by playing devil's advocate or they have no clue about football.

Not Mike
And likewise to anyone who thinks Mario is the only reason why A. Smith is getting off and making plays or tries to credit all of his production this year to Mario Williams. Both players are getting theirs, because they are just that good.
Carr Bombed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011   #136
The Cush
All Pro

Rep Power: 2778 The Cush is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Cush is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Cush is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Cush is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Cush is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Cush is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Cush is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Cush is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Cush is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Cush is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Cush is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
He's gone against more than his fair share of backups and those are the battles he needs to be dominating. Pitt, Indy and NO all played backups at T.

Why would they not consider moving Watt to the middle? You don't think he would be better than Cody? Again Mario isn't winning the one on one battles because he is playing out of position and going against the better athletes at T. Putting him inside would allow him to go against slower less athletic guards and centers.

So in the middle his job wouldn't be to try and get around an athletic T. It would be to over power or out maneuver less athletic guards and get to the QB or push the pocket back allowing speed off the edge to get to the QB or force him back into Mario. This is more suited to his abilities. Always has been. The problem is he is so athletic (for his size) coaches are to tempted to make him into a pure outside rusher.

Hell I hope I'm wrong and he all the sudden explodes and becomes the next LT. If not I fear we are missing out on having our version of Bruce Smith for a solid run stopping OLB that occasionally makes a good play rushing the passer.
Indy: he had 2 sacks, a forced fumbled, also caused an intentional grounding
Pitt: he had 2 sacks and forcefully made Big Ben run around in circles at least 3 other times
New Orleans: While he did have 1 on 1 matchups, if you re-watch that game they were chipping him, using the TE to pass off to a tackle, and there were even a handful of plays where the tackle and one of their pro bowl guards would basically run a stunt and have the guard switch and block Mario. That line basically shut our defense out

I've heard Watt is too tall to play the nose in a 3-4 and have yet to see him at the nose once there. That's what's making me think they aren't considering moving him there.

You keep saying he's looked underwhelming but if he stays on pace and ends up with 16 sacks is he still going to be underwhelming because that number is just a stat? I don't honestly believe you are a Mario hater but I think you so strongly believe he would be better served as a 3-4 DE that your view on how he plays as an OLB will always be jaded.
Old 10-06-2011   #137
BigBull17
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 6163 BigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

I think Watt could play nose. If we had a 3-4 olb that we needed to get on the field cause he is a beast, than I would move him there and Mario to end. BUT, Reed is not the guy that you watch and say "Man, he needs more reps" Reed may be that eventually, but he isn't now. The line up we are fielding is the best lineup we have avaliable. Maybe Mario isn't as big a pass rushing force at OLB he would be at end, but he is VERY good against the run. Reed constantly gave up runs in his limited action because he doesn't set the edge. Mario and Barwin are the best combe at 3-4 olb we have right now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carr Bombed View Post
And likewise to anyone who thinks Mario is the only reason why A. Smith is getting off and making plays or tries to credit all of his production this year to Mario Williams. Both players are getting theirs, because they are just that good.
Never said he was. Good defenses set each other up. One guy can have a big impact, but he can't do it alone. Ultimate team game and all.
Old 10-06-2011   #138
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 300095 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Who said "only reason" or "all?"
Old 10-06-2011   #139
Carr Bombed
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83762 Carr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
Who said "only reason" or "all?"
Please don't be coy here, there have been plenty who have acted like the ONLY reason why Smith is able to do what he's done this season is because of Mario
Carr Bombed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011   #140
The Cush
All Pro

Quote:
Please don't be coy here, there have been plenty who have acted like the ONLY reason why Smith is able to do what he's done this season is because of Mario
Antonio has been killing it and deserves all the credit in the world for his play. He and Duane Brown have really impressed me with how they have taken their games to new levels this year

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read