Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 10-03-2011   #81
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Section: Bullpen/ 636
Rep Power: 82308 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Mario FREAKING WILLIAMS....

Quote:
Originally Posted by welsh texan View Post
The thing to remember with Mario is that if you plan in enough to stop him, it opens up things on the other side. Do you think Antonio Smith is really THAT good on his own? Of course he isn't, he's just good enough that if he's 1 on 1 he will take his chances and put up the numbers.

Too many times I think Mario has been written off because to begin with there was nobody over the other side capable of taking what he gives them, and that allows even more attention to be put on him.

Now, Mario is still the feature guy, and if I'm coaching an offense Vs the Texans all I care about is stopping him first and foremost, but everyone else in the front 7 is capable of taking advantage of that. Barwin had one of the best games of his career too don't forget, he had a sack knocked off by penalty didn't he.
If you've watched this team the past three seasons, you know that the one player you can count on to give consistent effort and cause havoc in the backfield is Antonio Smith (ever since the midway point in 2009). Mario has played great in stretches, so has Cushing... but, Antonio Smith has been the best player on the Texans defense for about 2 full years now.
Old 10-03-2011   #82
welsh texan
Lest we forget

Rep Power: 23870 welsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalemurphy View Post
If you've watched this team the past three seasons, you know that the one player you can count on to give consistent effort and cause havoc in the backfield is Antonio Smith (ever since the midway point in 2009). Mario has played great in stretches, so has Cushing... but, Antonio Smith has been the best player on the Texans defense for about 2 full years now.
I have, and I do. What I am saying is, Smith is really good, and seems to be improving as well, but if he didn't have MW across from him, all the effort and consistancy would not have translated into his unbelievable stats this season, and really good stats previous seasons.

I'd like to see some info on what happens when elite DE's play across from poor DE's in the same D, I bet the elite DE's production falls really bad. When people slag Mario off because he's had a game where the D has just about handled him, those are often the games when the likes of Antonio and Cush for instance have got the sacks. It just seems this season the D is cut-throat and ends up with sacks all round if the O-line is not at full strength (and that isn't a bad point, the Steelers O-line was knocked up, the D took full advantage of that. Great job!)
welsh texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011   #83
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Section: Bullpen/ 636
Rep Power: 82308 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I have, and I do. What I am saying is, Smith is really good, and seems to be improving as well, but if he didn't have MW across from him, all the effort and consistancy would not have translated into his unbelievable stats this season, and really good stats previous seasons.

I'd like to see some info on what happens when elite DE's play across from poor DE's in the same D, I bet the elite DE's production falls really bad. When people slag Mario off because he's had a game where the D has just about handled him, those are often the games when the likes of Antonio and Cush for instance have got the sacks. It just seems this season the D is cut-throat and ends up with sacks all round if the O-line is not at full strength (and that isn't a bad point, the Steelers O-line was knocked up, the D took full advantage of that. Great job!)
I agree. It appears to me that we have 5 good to great players on our front 7 right now, not counting Demeco: A.Smith, Cushing, Watt, Mario, Barwin... It's a pretty good situation. Wade sure his helping with Rick Smith's reputation as a drafter.
Old 10-03-2011   #84
EllisUnit
Serving Koolaid

Section: 2" from the TV, Screaming.
Rep Power: 126475 EllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I agree. It appears to me that we have 5 good to great players on our front 7 right now, not counting Demeco: A.Smith, Cushing, Watt, Mario, Barwin... It's a pretty good situation. Wade sure his helping with Rick Smith's reputation as a drafter.
its amazing what having real coaches rather than scrubs will do to make GMs look good at picking in the draft. BUT i think we can all agree, most of our front 7 has always had potential.
Old 10-03-2011   #85
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Section: Channel 700-ish on NFL Sunday Ticket
Rep Power: 107641 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
As a side note on coaching, just take one look at Aso and the Feebles to drive that point home. In man, Aso is absolutely shut down. In zone, Aso is absolutely Petey Faggins. It's hard to estimate the effect coaching and scheme has on a player.
As far as our front 7 goes, I'm a CROW EATIN MUFF-HUGGA as far as Mario goes. Best food I ever put in my mouth right now!!
All credit gors to the good Rev. Dread Head for the muff-hugga.
Old 10-03-2011   #86
dc_txtech 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 52823 dc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respected

All these guys are feeding off of each other right now. Mario opens lanes for Smith at times and Smith has been doing the same for Mario. I see a couple of trips to Hawaii in their near futures. We are so loaded with talent in the front 7 that teams cannot simply shut down one or two guys and expect to succeed against us.

Mario, Demeco, Cushing, Barwin, Smith, Watt, and Mitchell (to a lesser degree) are firing on all cylinders right now. It's been a lot of fun to watch so far and it's been a long time since I've rooted for a team with a defense that was enjoyable to watch.
Old 10-03-2011   #87
Carr Bombed
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 114011 Carr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I have, and I do. What I am saying is, Smith is really good, and seems to be improving as well, but if he didn't have MW across from him, all the effort and consistency would not have translated into his unbelievable stats this season, and really good stats previous seasons.

Antonio Smith played across from Mario Williams LAST SEASON ALSO. Why didn't he have the sack #s then?

Seriously, why the hell is everyone writing off what Antonio has been able to do this year and are just trying to give all the credit for his production to Mario Williams. Frankly it's stupid. If you actually watch Antonio Smith's sacks this season, he's getting those sacks, because he's consistently winning his individual match ups WEEK IN AND WEEK OUT. He is our most consistent defender, which is exactly what he was last year as well. Hell the man is even drawing double teams and beating them...still no credit for him though, it's all Mario.

The biggest improvement in Antonio's game this season lies in the fact that we finally have a defensive coach that knows what the heck he's doing and a defensive coach who has the ability to put players in the best position to succeed. People need to stop tearing a player's performance/ability down just to build another player up. There were two game balls given out to the defense this week. One went to Allen and the other to Smith. Smith is a damn good player in this league, can earn his own keep, and he's responsible for his own production. If you want to start a thread praising Mario, by all means do that...he deserves praise for his performance yesterday, but can we please stop acting like he is the only reason why Antonio is balling his ass off this season, because that simply is not the case and is disingenuous.

Does Mario Williams being on the field help Antonio...yeah it does, but guess what? Antonio Smith being on the field ALSO HELPS MARIO. Antonio Smith being on the field also helps J.J. Watt. J.J. Watt being on the field also helps Antonio Smith and Mario Williams. Heck even Connor Barwin's speed off the edge is something teams have to account for and deal with and even it is helping other players on this defense. ALL OF THESE PLAYERS BEING ON THE FIELD TOGETHER ARE HELPING EACHOTHER. That's what happens when you have talented players and a talented from 7, it all goes hand in hand. You can't just key on one player.

Last edited by Carr Bombed; 10-03-2011 at 10:46 PM.
Carr Bombed is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 10-03-2011   #88
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 322585 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carr Bombed View Post
If you want to start a thread praising Mario, by all means do that...he deserves praise for his performance yesterday, but can we please stop acting like he is the only reason why Antonio is balling his ass off this season.
Isn't this the Mario FREAKING WILLIAMS thread?

Old 10-03-2011   #89
Carr Bombed
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 114011 Carr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
Isn't this the Mario FREAKING WILLIAMS thread?

Umm yeah, what's your point???
Old 10-03-2011   #90
dc_txtech 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 52823 dc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
ALL OF THESE PLAYERS BEING ON THE FIELD TOGETHER ARE HELPING EACHOTHER.
But who helps the most? I think the world of Smith but I see Mario getting most of the attention right now. Part of that is due to the fact that Mario is playing the position he is playing, part of it has to do with Mario being a beast. I would not be surprised if teams start shifting some of that attention towards Smith in the future which is a win/win for the Texans D.
Old 10-03-2011   #91
Carr Bombed
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by dc_txtech View Post
But who helps the most? I think the world of Smith but I see Mario getting most of the attention right now. Part of that is due to the fact that Mario is playing the position he is playing, part of it has to do with Mario being a beast. I would not be surprised if teams start shifting some of that attention towards Smith in the future which is a win/win for the Texans D.
Teams are ALREADY shifting attention to Smith. They aren't stupid and watch tape, when you get sacks in pretty much every game since the first preseason game, teams notice that and account for it. Houston has been countering by stunting J.J. Watt, which is also helping free Smith up and pulling double teams off of him.
Old 10-03-2011   #92
dc_txtech 
Subscribed Contributor

Quote:
Teams are ALREADY shifting attention to Smith. They aren't stupid and watch tape, when you get sacks in pretty much every game since the first preseason game, teams notice that. Houston has been countering by stunting J.J. Watt, which is also helping free Smith up and pulling double teams off of him.
I didn't say they weren't shifting any attention to Smith, I said they might shift some of the attention Mario is getting to Smith. Why can't you just like both players? You have been on a Mario vendetta for a while.
Old 10-03-2011   #93
Carr Bombed
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by dc_txtech View Post
I didn't say they weren't shifting any attention to Smith, I said they might shift some of the attention Mario is getting to Smith. Why can't you just like both players? You have been on a Mario vendetta for a while.
Oh lord here we go AGAIN.

I DO LIKE BOTH PLAYERS! Just because you have certain criticisms about a player, or like the play of another player more, that doesn't mean you hate the guy.

Unlike some of y'all, I can root for both players instead of tearing one down to build another up.
Old 10-04-2011   #94
brakos82
Hall of Fame

Section: 1009 E. Union
Rep Power: 59912 brakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to brakos82

Don't forget we have another game coming up for the princess of the NFL, Maria Williams.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexanSam View Post
For being the most intelligent form of life on our planet, we sure do some incredibly stupid things.
brakos82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011   #95
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 117345 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
The thing to remember with Mario is that if you plan in enough to stop him, it opens up things on the other side. Do you think Antonio Smith is really THAT good on his own? Of course he isn't, he's just good enough that if he's 1 on 1 he will take his chances and put up the numbers.

Too many times I think Mario has been written off because to begin with there was nobody over the other side capable of taking what he gives them, and that allows even more attention to be put on him.

Now, Mario is still the feature guy, and if I'm coaching an offense Vs the Texans all I care about is stopping him first and foremost, but everyone else in the front 7 is capable of taking advantage of that. Barwin had one of the best games of his career too don't forget, he had a sack knocked off by penalty didn't he.
Please show me one instance where the other team has done anything that makes you think they are focusing on stopping Mario. He lines up opposite the TE and he hardly ever gets double teamed. How is this game planning going on if he is getting one on one 99% of the time?
Old 10-04-2011   #96
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by mussop View Post
Please show me one instance where the other team has done anything that makes you think they are focusing on stopping Mario. He lines up opposite the TE and he hardly ever gets double teamed. How is this game planning going on if he is getting one on one 99% of the time?
Mario was doubled in the last game quite a few times.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011   #97
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24791 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by mussop View Post
I see the right tackle on him quite a bit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
Mario was doubled in the last game quite a few times.
I saw a few times when he was facing the RT and the RB stayed back to help out.
#99 JJ Watt - Dream Big Work Hard
Ole Miss Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011   #98
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ole Miss Texan View Post

I saw a few times when he was facing the RT and the RB stayed back to help out.
I remember one play in particular where the Gaurd dropped back as a second layer of protection against Mario...Almost like a spy...When Mario got past the tackle the gaurd picked him up...
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011   #99
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 341333 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by brakos82 View Post
Don't forget we have another game coming up for the princess of the NFL, Maria Williams.
I thought Dierdorf said her name was Mary O'Williams. Or was it Mary O. Williams.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011   #100
Mr teX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 111928 Mr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
I remember one play in particular where the Gaurd dropped back as a second layer of protection against Mario...Almost like a spy...When Mario got past the tackle the gaurd picked him up...
That's happened quite a few times this season actually. the thing is though, people here are only counting it as a double team if mario is actively engaged with 2 people. But it's still considered a double if you are commanding 2 people's attention.
Mr teX is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read