Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 10-03-2011   #61
Blake
MMQB

Section: 551
Rep Power: 72917 Blake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Mario FREAKING WILLIAMS....

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHAROAH View Post
The front 7 is creating havoc!!!!! Great Job Super Mario
Thanks Brah
Blake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011   #62
Mr teX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 88085 Mr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by mussop View Post
This board is like a roller coaster. When he does anything the jock riders will proclaim he had a great game and is heading to the pro-bowl and when he doesn't have a big play the haters will proclaim he sucks and we need to trade him.

Mario had a good, not great, a good game against another rookie LT and a beat up short handed OL. He played the run really well. He came up with a big play late in the game when we really needed it. Kudos to him and I hope he starts showing improvement every week and becomes what some of you already think he is.

But until he develops some technique and becomes a real threat that defenses have to account for by consistently gets pressure on the QB, he will be an average OLB. That is where some like me have a problem. We are not haters, we just think he would be better used on the line where IMO his talents and abilities would be better utilized. Look at what Smith has been able to do in this scheme. Imagine him on one side and Mario on the other. Now add in a blazer off the edge (Reed) and you have a scary, scary front seven.

Overall the whole front played well today and really got to Big Ben in the end. But like it or not it was against a pathetic OL that hasn't played well all year. So they did what they were supposed to do but it still remains to be seen if they can do it against a good healthy OL.

In the big picture Mario has played decent but not what you would expect from the number one overall pick and a guy that is going to demand a top ten contract that is going to take a huge chunk of our cap space. There is still alot of games to be played and who knows maybe he will earn that big contract.

If he doesn't start showing dominating performances soon though Phillips should at least consider moving him back to DE and see what he is capable of. That is all I'm saying.

....u think clay matthews is a great OLB right? show me a dominating performance he's had this year.

What did Demarcus Ware do yesterday as he watched his defense choke away a 24 pt. lead? I'll give you a hint..what's 0 + 0?

You simply are not going to a get "dominating" performance every week from these kinds of guys b/c there's too much attention paid to them on a week to week basis...there's a reason all of them say sacks come in bunches....why can't you guys understand that?

& if 2 sacks, 3-4 qb pressures & a few other TFLs isn't a great game, then you obviously don't know what a great game is.
Mr teX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011   #63
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10969 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

Until further notice, The Mario Williams Sucks thread should always remain in tact.
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011   #64
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 105157 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Mario had a good game, as did Barwin. There's one position that might not receive the accolades the OLB's do. The MLBs. D-Ryans played well, but Cushing was all over the place. He was in on the tackle seemingly every dang play.

Congrats to the front 7. Save Joseph, I still think our defensive backfield is average at best.
Old 10-03-2011   #65
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 92801 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr teX View Post
....u think clay matthews is a great OLB right? show me a dominating performance he's had this year.

What did Demarcus Ware do yesterday as he watched his defense choke away a 24 pt. lead? I'll give you a hint..what's 0 + 0?

You simply are not going to a get "dominating" performance every week from these kinds of guys b/c there's too much attention paid to them on a week to week basis...there's a reason all of them say sacks come in bunches....why can't you guys understand that?

& if 2 sacks, 3-4 qb pressures & a few other TFLs isn't a great game, then you obviously don't know what a great game is.

Clay Matthews gets double and triple teamed nearly every play. Demarcus Ware, I couldn't tell you because I hate the Cowpatiies to much to watch them. The point is that Mario is a number one overall pick and we need him playing where he can be the most disruptive.

Look at what Smith has been able to do so far. Who would you say has been more important to this defense this year, Mario or Smith? If you say Mario then this conversation is over. Mario is twice the athlete Smith is. He could do at least as good as Smith shooting the inside gaps. If you have 2 guys like that inside all we need from the OLB spot is an explosive edge rusher.

Again I don't think this move is something we should do right now. We are winning and Mario is still learning the position. Im just saying that if he doesn't start winning more one on one battles especially against weaker non starters like he has gone up against the first four weeks, then it should be considered.
Old 10-03-2011   #66
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24791 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Clay Matthews gets double and triple teamed nearly every play.
I'm sorry but I think the term double/triple teamed gets grossly over used. CMIII is in 1-on-1 battles with the tackle the vast majority of the game.
#99 JJ Watt - Dream Big Work Hard
Ole Miss Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011   #67
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 92801 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ole Miss Texan View Post
I'm sorry but I think the term double/triple teamed gets grossly over used. CMIII is in 1-on-1 battles with the tackle the vast majority of the game.
They just had a piece on Mathews this Sunday where they broke down game film and showed Mathews getting double and triple teamed alot. They said its because GB has no one to compliment him so teams are focusing on stopping him. I'll see if I can find a link.
Old 10-03-2011   #68
Mr teX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 88085 Mr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Clay Matthews gets double and triple teamed nearly every play. Demarcus Ware, I couldn't tell you because I hate the Cowpatiies to much to watch them. The point is that Mario is a number one overall pick and we need him playing where he can be the most disruptive.

Look at what Smith has been able to do so far. Who would you say has been more important to this defense this year, Mario or Smith? If you say Mario then this conversation is over. Mario is twice the athlete Smith is. He could do at least as good as Smith shooting the inside gaps. If you have 2 guys like that inside all we need from the OLB spot is an explosive edge rusher.

Again I don't think this move is something we should do right now. We are winning and Mario is still learning the position. Im just saying that if he doesn't start winning more one on one battles especially against weaker non starters like he has gone up against the first four weeks, then it should be considered.
How do you know that he's not benefiting from mario standing up as the OLB on the same side as him?

I mean lets face it, Smith is on track to have double digit sacks this year........something he's never come remotely close to in his career in Arizona or here for that matter. How do you explain him all of a sudden going into beast mode 7 years into his relatively mediocore career?

No doubt some of that is b/c he's played in a 3-4 before & there is almost no learning curve with him compared to the others in the front 7...but still, how do you know that moving mario to olb didn't help to increase his level of play well above what he's capable of? U put mario back on the DL with him his "importance" may go down.
Mr teX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011   #69
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 304671 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
How do you know that he's not benefiting from mario standing up as the OLB on the same side as him?

I mean lets face it, Smith is on track to have double digit sacks this year........something he's never come remotely close to in his career in Arizona or here for that matter. How do you explain him all of a sudden going into beast mode 7 years into his relatively mediocore career?
I generally agree with you. I wouldn't call Smith's career mediocre as I think he has been a borderline pro-bowl player while with the Texans and has only upped his game more this year. But having said that yeah Smith is benefiting from Mario and I don't see how that can be denied. Mario has opened up gaps in the OL and caused QB movement many times that have benefited other front seven players.
Old 10-03-2011   #70
TexansForTheW
Veteran

Rep Power: 323 TexansForTheW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansForTheW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansForTheW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansForTheW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansForTheW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansForTheW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansForTheW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansForTheW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansForTheW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansForTheW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansForTheW is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

No doubt some of that is b/c he's played in a 3-4 before & there is almost no learning curve with him compared to the others in the front 7...but still, how do you know that moving mario to olb didn't help to increase his level of play well above what he's capable of? U put mario back on the DL with him his "importance" may go down.
I think it's a combo of Cushing's preggo pills and Smith being a Ninja.
TexansForTheW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011   #71
welsh texan
Lest we forget

Rep Power: 22601 welsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respected

The thing to remember with Mario is that if you plan in enough to stop him, it opens up things on the other side. Do you think Antonio Smith is really THAT good on his own? Of course he isn't, he's just good enough that if he's 1 on 1 he will take his chances and put up the numbers.

Too many times I think Mario has been written off because to begin with there was nobody over the other side capable of taking what he gives them, and that allows even more attention to be put on him.

Now, Mario is still the feature guy, and if I'm coaching an offense Vs the Texans all I care about is stopping him first and foremost, but everyone else in the front 7 is capable of taking advantage of that. Barwin had one of the best games of his career too don't forget, he had a sack knocked off by penalty didn't he.
welsh texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011   #72
The Cush
All Pro

Rep Power: 2778 The Cush is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Cush is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Cush is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Cush is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Cush is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Cush is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Cush is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Cush is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Cush is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Cush is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Cush is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by welsh texan View Post
The thing to remember with Mario is that if you plan in enough to stop him, it opens up things on the other side. Do you think Antonio Smith is really THAT good on his own? Of course he isn't, he's just good enough that if he's 1 on 1 he will take his chances and put up the numbers.
Antonio is actually starting to become THAT good. Naturally by the position he plays, he often times takes on multiple blockers but he is becoming so fast off the ball he splits right through 2 guys before they even know whats happening. The guy is playing lights out
The Cush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011   #73
ziggy29
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 6653 ziggy29 is a quality contributor and well respectedziggy29 is a quality contributor and well respectedziggy29 is a quality contributor and well respectedziggy29 is a quality contributor and well respectedziggy29 is a quality contributor and well respectedziggy29 is a quality contributor and well respectedziggy29 is a quality contributor and well respectedziggy29 is a quality contributor and well respectedziggy29 is a quality contributor and well respectedziggy29 is a quality contributor and well respectedziggy29 is a quality contributor and well respected

Funny how you don't hear people saying they should have picked VY or Reggie Bush any more.
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011   #74
TimeKiller
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Location: This giant tree, standing 10,000 ft. high but not reaching the ground. It's roots must hold the sky.
Section: 521/Couch
Rep Power: 0 TimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respected

I can't wait until a monster day for a player is considered just that and doesn't inspire weak ass armchair gurus to opine on how it could've been better/different. That'll be the ****ing day.
TimeKiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011   #75
BuffaloglennTX
Rookie

Rep Power: 23 BuffaloglennTX is a Legendary performerBuffaloglennTX is a Legendary performerBuffaloglennTX is a Legendary performerBuffaloglennTX is a Legendary performerBuffaloglennTX is a Legendary performerBuffaloglennTX is a Legendary performerBuffaloglennTX is a Legendary performerBuffaloglennTX is a Legendary performerBuffaloglennTX is a Legendary performerBuffaloglennTX is a Legendary performerBuffaloglennTX is a Legendary performer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
Mario should get a minimum of 3 sacks an outing. After finding a cure for the common cold.
And establishing world peace...
BuffaloglennTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011   #76
TexansForTheW
Veteran

Rep Power: 323 TexansForTheW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansForTheW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansForTheW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansForTheW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansForTheW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansForTheW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansForTheW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansForTheW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansForTheW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansForTheW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansForTheW is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuffaloglennTX View Post
And establishing world peace...
World peace has already been established as an La Laker(Ron Artest).
TexansForTheW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011   #77
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 156418 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
I generally agree with you. I wouldn't call Smith's career mediocre as I think he has been a borderline pro-bowl player while with the Texans and has only upped his game more this year. But having said that yeah Smith is benefiting from Mario and I don't see how that can be denied. Mario has opened up gaps in the OL and caused QB movement many times that have benefited other front seven players.
yer right and I think he is better suited for a 3-4. Smith and Phillips are like peas and carrots. Smith is going to the Pro-Bowl this season if he keeps playing like this.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011   #78
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 174245 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeKiller View Post
I can't wait until a monster day for a player is considered just that and doesn't inspire weak ass armchair gurus to opine on how it could've been better/different. That'll be the ****ing day.
It was a monster day for the Texans ..... they won , thats the only stat I give a damn about.

Hope is a poor mans disease.
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011   #79
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 222419 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc

To paraphrase Antonio Smith: I told y'all Mario was going to be awesome.
Old 10-03-2011   #80
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Section: Bullpen/ 636
Rep Power: 56079 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
I had posted in another thread that I was going to focus on him and he stepped up. Biggest game from him in a big game in long time. Does this resolve everything for me? No but it sure helps. I want him to continue his outstanding play even if he does not get the stats. On one play I jumped up shouting Mario! and the couple I was eating with said "he did not sack R." He sure shook him up and made him bust out of pocket.
He played very well, particularly in the 4th quarter. Not as well as Antonio Smith, certainly, but very well.

Seriously, Antonio Smith was awesome, Mario played great in stretches, Barwin was good, Cushing looked very good, and I thought Watt looked good as well.

This defense is fun to watch!

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read