Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 10-02-2011   #41
BullNation4Life
Hall of Fame

Section: Living Room 77429
Rep Power: 33104 BullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Mario FREAKING WILLIAMS....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardcore Texan View Post
You guys are too quick to rush to judgement. I am a huge Mario fan, I was just pointing out the condition of that 0-line. Am I wrong? I also went on to say Mario had an excellent game.
sorry bro, I know a backhanded complement when I see one....

might as well just said, "Mario had an excellent game BUT he DID go against a patch work O-line so it really doesn't count..."

oh wait, that is what you basically said...

Ohhh, uh oh, it's FitzMagic....
BullNation4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011   #42
4x4tx
Veteran

Rep Power: 447 4x4tx is a quality contributor and well respected4x4tx is a quality contributor and well respected4x4tx is a quality contributor and well respected4x4tx is a quality contributor and well respected4x4tx is a quality contributor and well respected4x4tx is a quality contributor and well respected4x4tx is a quality contributor and well respected4x4tx is a quality contributor and well respected4x4tx is a quality contributor and well respected4x4tx is a quality contributor and well respected4x4tx is a quality contributor and well respected

I hated on his last week, he played great today. Hope to see it every week!
4x4tx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011   #43
PHAROAH
All Pro

Rep Power: 95 PHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respected

The front 7 is creating havoc!!!!! Great Job Super Mario
Old 10-02-2011   #44
Hardcore Texan
Magnet Man

Rep Power: 19489 Hardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by BullNation4Life View Post
sorry bro, I know a backhanded complement when I see one....

might as well just said, "Mario had an excellent game BUT he DID go against a patch work O-line so it really doesn't count..."

oh wait, that is what you basically said...
You couldn't be more wrong.......
Old 10-02-2011   #45
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 144460 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBar View Post
Except for that whole rushing defense thingy.
When you get right down to it , thats a scheme issue asking the DE's and DT's to shoot gaps rather than plug gaps .... You are going to get to the QB more but you will also give up a lot of yards on the ground - especially if the ILB's are out of position.

With as much pressure as they can put on opposing QB's , I can live with giving up a few on the ground. (as long as they are getting off the field on 3rd down).

Hope is a poor mans disease.
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011   #46
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Section: Channel 700-ish on NFL Sunday Ticket
Rep Power: 36493 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrosion View Post
When you get right down to it , thats a scheme issue asking the DE's and DT's to shoot gaps rather than plug gaps .... You are going to get to the QB more but you will also give up a lot of yards on the ground - especially if the ILB's are out of position.

With as much pressure as they can put on opposing QB's , I can live with giving up a few on the ground. (as long as they are getting off the field on 3rd down).
Those two are almost mutually exclusive, especially against better running teams. Giving up big chunks of yardage in the running game is not very conducive to 3 and outs.
Old 10-02-2011   #47
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBar View Post
Those two are almost mutually exclusive, especially against better running teams. Giving up big chunks of yardage in the running game is not very conducive to 3 and outs.
If you make plays against a teams's passing attack you will likely win the game.

Unlike the NFL of yesteryear, teams rarely run their way to victories.

Running when you need to ice the clock and being able to run in the redzone

You can win without a great running game. It's extremely hard to win if you can't pass.

The texans have done well against the pass this year. We had a bad quarter against breed but other than that our ability to make plays when teams pass the ball is what has helped us win games.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 10-02-2011   #48
SAMURAITEXAN 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 16963 SAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respected

I am so excited by Mario's success at OLB position so far. Seems to me, he gets better each game. Just imagine, how good he will be by end of this season.

Go Texans!!!
SAMURAITEXAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011   #49
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 58086 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected

This board is like a roller coaster. When he does anything the jock riders will proclaim he had a great game and is heading to the pro-bowl and when he doesn't have a big play the haters will proclaim he sucks and we need to trade him.

Mario had a good, not great, a good game against another rookie LT and a beat up short handed OL. He played the run really well. He came up with a big play late in the game when we really needed it. Kudos to him and I hope he starts showing improvement every week and becomes what some of you already think he is.

But until he develops some technique and becomes a real threat that defenses have to account for by consistently gets pressure on the QB, he will be an average OLB. That is where some like me have a problem. We are not haters, we just think he would be better used on the line where IMO his talents and abilities would be better utilized. Look at what Smith has been able to do in this scheme. Imagine him on one side and Mario on the other. Now add in a blazer off the edge (Reed) and you have a scary, scary front seven.

Overall the whole front played well today and really got to Big Ben in the end. But like it or not it was against a pathetic OL that hasn't played well all year. So they did what they were supposed to do but it still remains to be seen if they can do it against a good healthy OL.

In the big picture Mario has played decent but not what you would expect from the number one overall pick and a guy that is going to demand a top ten contract that is going to take a huge chunk of our cap space. There is still alot of games to be played and who knows maybe he will earn that big contract.

If he doesn't start showing dominating performances soon though Phillips should at least consider moving him back to DE and see what he is capable of. That is all I'm saying.
Old 10-02-2011   #50
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Mario plays against the same o line that his teammates play against and he plays against the same o-lines that that 16 other teams play against. . . Yet the caliber of player he is matched up on is constantly a point of debate.

Are we going to discount or lessen the impact if a sack anytime any player isn't going against a pro bowler or bonafide pass blocker?

Wow, I guess I'll let you guys go through all the games and decide which guys sacks "really" count.

Every team we've gone against we've kept their edge rushers in check. Harrison was invisible, but if Mario has a game like that he's not giving it his all or is just not good enough to consistently make an impact.

Do you guys watch other teams? Plenty of the "dominant" pass rushers have games where they don't make an impact and when they do get sacks sometimes they come against air, rb's, te's or bad o linemen.

I remember in pre season folks went gaga for reed after he had a good game. I see some of those same folks talking about the blocking Mario sees but completely ignored the fact that reed's sacks came against 1) backups 2) air 3) a rb.

Mario has made an impact in every game except one. Two sacks against Indy, deflection leading to int in Mia, two sacks in clutch moments against Pittsburgh.

But yeah. Mario sucks and we should maybe trade him for picks. Or a pizza hut pizza.
Old 10-03-2011   #51
The Cush
All Pro

Rep Power: 2778 The Cush is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Cush is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Cush is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Cush is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Cush is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Cush is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Cush is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Cush is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Cush is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Cush is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Cush is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by mussop View Post
This board is like a roller coaster. When he does anything the jock riders will proclaim he had a great game and is heading to the pro-bowl and when he doesn't have a big play the haters will proclaim he sucks and we need to trade him.

Mario had a good, not great, a good game against another rookie LT and a beat up short handed OL. He played the run really well. He came up with a big play late in the game when we really needed it. Kudos to him and I hope he starts showing improvement every week and becomes what some of you already think he is.

But until he develops some technique and becomes a real threat that defenses have to account for by consistently gets pressure on the QB, he will be an average OLB. That is where some like me have a problem. We are not haters, we just think he would be better used on the line where IMO his talents and abilities would be better utilized. Look at what Smith has been able to do in this scheme. Imagine him on one side and Mario on the other. Now add in a blazer off the edge (Reed) and you have a scary, scary front seven.

Overall the whole front played well today and really got to Big Ben in the end. But like it or not it was against a pathetic OL that hasn't played well all year. So they did what they were supposed to do but it still remains to be seen if they can do it against a good healthy OL.

In the big picture Mario has played decent but not what you would expect from the number one overall pick and a guy that is going to demand a top ten contract that is going to take a huge chunk of our cap space. There is still alot of games to be played and who knows maybe he will earn that big contract.

If he doesn't start showing dominating performances soon though Phillips should at least consider moving him back to DE and see what he is capable of. That is all I'm saying.
I'm just curious but what more could he have done to have a "great" game? He had 2 registered sacks, pressured and flushed Ben out of the pocket at least 3 other times (Ben made some great plays to escape, but that's what he does, escapes sticky situations pun intended), and had a key run stop late in the game for a loss of 1 or 2 yards. He's on pace for 16 sacks. If you move him back to DE, and wade stays in the 3-4 then where does Watt go? Smith isn't going to the bench he's playing lights out. And who takes his spot at OLB...Brooks Reed? He hasn't shown anything at all during the regular season except that he's a rookie who still needs seasoning.
The Cush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011   #52
Rey
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cush View Post
I'm just curious but what more could he have done to have a "great" game? .
Mario should get a minimum of 3 sacks an outing. After finding a cure for the common cold.
Old 10-03-2011   #53
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 58086 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
But yeah. Mario sucks and we should maybe trade him for picks. Or a pizza hut pizza.
I haven't seen anyone say anything even close to that. Seems like you are too defensive with you're opinions. I haven't seen one real negative post in this whole thread about Mario. Seems like you take what other people say and distort it if it doesn't jive 100% with what you think.
Old 10-03-2011   #54
fiasco west
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 13798 fiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Mario plays against the same o line that his teammates play against and he plays against the same o-lines that that 16 other teams play against. . . Yet the caliber of player he is matched up on is constantly a point of debate.

Are we going to discount or lessen the impact if a sack anytime any player isn't going against a pro bowler or bonafide pass blocker?

Wow, I guess I'll let you guys go through all the games and decide which guys sacks "really" count.

Every team we've gone against we've kept their edge rushers in check. Harrison was invisible, but if Mario has a game like that he's not giving it his all or is just not good enough to consistently make an impact.

Do you guys watch other teams? Plenty of the "dominant" pass rushers have games where they don't make an impact and when they do get sacks sometimes they come against air, rb's, te's or bad o linemen.

I remember in pre season folks went gaga for reed after he had a good game. I see some of those same folks talking about the blocking Mario sees but completely ignored the fact that reed's sacks came against 1) backups 2) air 3) a rb.

Mario has made an impact in every game except one. Two sacks against Indy, deflection leading to int in Mia, two sacks in clutch moments against Pittsburgh.

Yep. The level of Competition that Mario goes against seems to always be bought up.

"Oh he got that sack against a TE." or "This was a really bad Oline."

The players in the NFL are good. Andre is not racking up his stats against Revis and Aso. He's racking up his stats against the crappy and average corners in the league and having a great battle for every yard with the likes of Revis.

Freeney racked up a couple a sacks last week against the Steelers bad oline and no one questions him dominating a game.
fiasco west is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011   #55
Rey
Hall of Fame

Quote:
I haven't seen anyone say anything even close to that. Seems like you are too defensive with you're opinions. I haven't seen one real negative post in this whole thread about Mario. Seems like you take what other people say and distort it if it doesn't jive 100% with what you think.
Do you know what hyperbole is?

Lots of guys (or gals?) taking themselves to seriously on the message board.

Did I even quote you?

Maybe you are the one that is defensive?
Old 10-03-2011   #56
mussop
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cush View Post
I'm just curious but what more could he have done to have a "great" game? He had 2 registered sacks, pressured and flushed Ben out of the pocket at least 3 other times (Ben made some great plays to escape, but that's what he does, escapes sticky situations pun intended), and had a key run stop late in the game for a loss of 1 or 2 yards. He's on pace for 16 sacks. If you move him back to DE, and wade stays in the 3-4 then where does Watt go? Smith isn't going to the bench he's playing lights out. And who takes his spot at OLB...Brooks Reed? He hasn't shown anything at all during the regular season except that he's a rookie who still needs seasoning.
the bolded.

Everyone has their own definition of what great game means. I'm not even going to bother. IMO he had a really good game against the run and a good game rushing the passer. I do factor in who he went against because its relative. He is on pace to get 16 sacks but lets wait to see what he does against a quality starter before we proclaim him a pro-bowler. Well at least I will.

As far as who I would replace it would be Watts at DE but only to move him over to NT. So in reality it would be Cody that he would be replacing. And yes it would be Reed that would replace Mario at OLB. Again if Smith can play lights out in this scheme as you pointed out don't you think Mario could do at least the same if not better at the DE position in this scheme? Move him inside and now teams have two guys that they have to worry about busting through inside gaps and getting penetration up the middle. That would open up the outside rush for a player that is a bullet off the line.

Normally I would agree that Reed is a rookie and needs seasoning, but again in this scheme at that particular OLB position the primary responsibility is to get off the edge and get after the QB. It doesn't take a rocket scientist play the position. In fact of all the positions on this defense that one is the one that a rookie can come in and have a huge impact on right away the easiest. Factor that in with Mario's presence inside and it makes it even easier.

Not saying we should do it now but if Mario doesn't show to be a consistent dominating force on the outside we should at least give him the chance to be on the inside. I just think he is to talented to leave at a position where he is playing average when he is taylor made for another position where it appears he could dominate.
Old 10-03-2011   #57
mussop
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Do you know what hyperbole is?
Yes its what you do everytime Mario gets a sack.

Quote:
Did I even quote you?
Did I say you quoted me?

Quote:
Maybe you are the one that is defensive?
Meowwwww!
Old 10-03-2011   #58
rush2112mn
All Pro

Rep Power: 972 rush2112mn is a quality contributor and well respectedrush2112mn is a quality contributor and well respectedrush2112mn is a quality contributor and well respectedrush2112mn is a quality contributor and well respectedrush2112mn is a quality contributor and well respectedrush2112mn is a quality contributor and well respectedrush2112mn is a quality contributor and well respectedrush2112mn is a quality contributor and well respectedrush2112mn is a quality contributor and well respectedrush2112mn is a quality contributor and well respectedrush2112mn is a quality contributor and well respected

My Pic next to my user name says it for me......what a freak....and some people thought we should have traded him.....lol.....Super freakin Mario....great game.....
rush2112mn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011   #59
Rey
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Yes its what you do everytime Mario gets a sack.
!
Well, I certainly don't know your posting pattern but I guess it's nice to have followers
Old 10-03-2011   #60
BigBull17
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 4547 BigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
the bolded.

Everyone has their own definition of what great game means. I'm not even going to bother. IMO he had a really good game against the run and a good game rushing the passer. I do factor in who he went against because its relative. He is on pace to get 16 sacks but lets wait to see what he does against a quality starter before we proclaim him a pro-bowler. Well at least I will.

As far as who I would replace it would be Watts at DE but only to move him over to NT. So in reality it would be Cody that he would be replacing. And yes it would be Reed that would replace Mario at OLB. Again if Smith can play lights out in this scheme as you pointed out don't you think Mario could do at least the same if not better at the DE position in this scheme? Move him inside and now teams have two guys that they have to worry about busting through inside gaps and getting penetration up the middle. That would open up the outside rush for a player that is a bullet off the line.

Normally I would agree that Reed is a rookie and needs seasoning, but again in this scheme at that particular OLB position the primary responsibility is to get off the edge and get after the QB. It doesn't take a rocket scientist play the position. In fact of all the positions on this defense that one is the one that a rookie can come in and have a huge impact on right away the easiest. Factor that in with Mario's presence inside and it makes it even easier.

Not saying we should do it now but if Mario doesn't show to be a consistent dominating force on the outside we should at least give him the chance to be on the inside. I just think he is to talented to leave at a position where he is playing average when he is taylor made for another position where it appears he could dominate.
Brooks Reed has look borderline awful this year. No thanks. Mario is doing fine, so why move him?

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read