Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 04-24-2005   #1
Blake
MMQB

Section: 551
Rep Power: 73433 Blake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respected
Exclamation Dallas for Best Draft. Period.

1 11 Demarcus Ware DE Troy State
1 20 Marcus Spears DE Louisiana State
2 42 Kevin Burnett OLB Tennessee
4 109 Marion Barber RB Minnesota
5 132 Chris Canty DE Virginia

This has to be the best draft of the year. I cant believe they got so many great prospects. Barber in the 4th. Canty in the 5th. And Ware/Spears/Burnett added to their D is going to be crazy...

The only thing i would change would be Ware to Merriman.
Blake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2005   #2
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Section: Bullpen/ 636
Rep Power: 57395 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC_ROCK

This has to be the best draft of the year. I cant believe they got so many great prospects. Barber in the 4th. Canty in the 5th. And Ware/Spears/Burnett added to their D is going to be crazy...

Then again, what does it say about an NFL team when all their picks are big names that we're all quite familiar with. Casserly passed on these guys, as did others, for some guys that we're not familiar with or excited about. It might have to do with the fact that he, and his scouts, have a lot more information than we do.

Dallas supposedly had a great draft in '02 as well: Roy Williams, Andrew Gurarde, Antonio Bryant, Derek Ross, etc... that draft hasn't turned out very well for them. Ross, Bryant, Gurarde were all considered first round talents that had slipped- Gurarde is a bust and the other two will both soon be out of the NFL.
dalemurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2005   #3
WildBlackBear32
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalemurphy
Then again, what does it say about an NFL team when all their picks are big names that we're all quite familiar with. Casserly passed on these guys, as did others, for some guys that we're not familiar with or excited about. It might have to do with the fact that he, and his scouts, have a lot more information than we do.

Dallas supposedly had a great draft in '02 as well: Roy Williams, Andrew Gurarde, Antonio Bryant, Derek Ross, etc... that draft hasn't turned out very well for them. Ross, Bryant, Gurarde were all considered first round talents that had slipped- Gurarde is a bust and the other two will both soon be out of the NFL.

Whoa, Whoa. Stop with the Bryant haterade. It's not his fault he had to deal with VinnyT in Dallas. He did fine in Cleveland last year(800 yards in 15 games). Not GREAT but certainly not "out of the NFL" type either.
WildBlackBear32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2005   #4
Huge
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 16 Huge was voted MVPHuge was voted MVPHuge was voted MVPHuge was voted MVP

Arizona Cardinals
Huge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2005   #5
DRIFTAWAY
All Pro

Dallas,Minnesota,Arizona,and Philly all had superb drafts.

SD had a decent draft too, but so did Carolina.

Cincy and Miami also had pretty good.
Most Improved- Juwan Howard
DRIFTAWAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2005   #6
hot pickle
السلام عليكم

Rep Power: 2074 hot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respected

yah the cards had one hell of a draft as well
hot pickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2005   #7
lucky13

i like the vikings. i like players. i love their DL.
Sponsored links
Old 04-24-2005   #8
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
If you don't agree with the top pick, how can you rate their draft that high ?
Myself, I'm intrigued with this Ware pick. This is a Jason Babin kinda of pick,
but a bigger bet since he was #1 overall for the Cowboys in top half of first round vs. #2 overall in bottom of first round for the Texans last year. And
oh yea, both tweener, DE in non-major college programs making major positions conversions in NFL (assuming Billy Boy and Cowboys do go 3-4).
I've been kinda bored (no make that real bored), by Parcells and all of his
Northeastern retreads he's brought down to N.Texas to play ball, but this
Ware pick is totally and it's gonna be fun to watch and see how it evolves. Who knows, maybe he will be Parcells new LT.
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2005   #9
cuppacoffee
Resident Grouch

Rep Power: 54346 cuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respected
Talking

Quote:

Instead of D Johnson???
Heresy to all Horn fans.
Old 04-25-2005   #10
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Section: Bullpen/ 636
Rep Power: 57395 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

with the dallas shift to the 3-4 and years of poor drafting, they had a ton of needs. therefore, their draft was going to look better than most. "look, they've got 4 starters out of that draft" of course they do, they didn't have any tweener's on their roster nor did they have any 3-4 down linemen outside of Glover (stretch) and Ferguson
dalemurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2005   #11
Huge
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 16 Huge was voted MVPHuge was voted MVPHuge was voted MVPHuge was voted MVP

I think it's more of where they were able to get these guys instead of who these guys are.

1st - Ware was one of the guy's they wanted in the first...Spears was the other. They had to make a gamble on taking Ware here because they knew he wouldn't last to #20.

1st - Having Spears fall to 20th was the gamble on Ware paying off.

2nd - I've heard/read places that Burnett could've been a low first rounder. I don't agree with it but whatever. This pick didn't blow me away but I was pleased with it.

4th - Getting Barber here was outstanding (see "Which RB would you take?" thread). We needed some depth behind Jones and Barber is more than capable of providing it.

4th - Our "steal" of the draft. Canty dropping this far because of a knee injury in September was great. If he's healthy, at worst he's a 2nd round talent. Still having Greg Ellis on board will allow Canty ample time to ensure his knee is 100%. If/When it is, he's going to be golden. Probably my favorite pick of our draft.

The rest of the picks "should" provide depth but we shall see.

Again, a great draft...but not the best of any team.
Huge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2005   #12
Blake
MMQB

Section: 551
Rep Power: 73433 Blake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by nunusguy
If you don't agree with the top pick, how can you rate their draft that high ?
I dont hate the pick. Im just saying I think Merriman will be better than Ware. Im not saying I dont like Ware as a pick.
Blake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2005   #13
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huge
4th - Our "steal" of the draft. Canty dropping this far because of a knee injury in September was great. If he's healthy, at worst he's a 2nd round talent. Still having Greg Ellis on board will allow Canty ample time to ensure his knee is 100%. If/When it is, he's going to be golden. Probably my favorite pick of our draft.
Visions of Ed "Too tall" Jones in Dallas now.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2005   #14
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 171483 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

The thing that all teams is a list of names . The more popular the name the more one assumes this guys a player . The Cowboys last couple of drafts have had players on the all name team . The exception is Julius Jones .
Honoring Earl 34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2005   #15
WildBlackBear32
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honoring Earl 34
The thing that all teams is a list of names . The more popular the name the more one assumes this guys a player . The Cowboys last couple of drafts have had players on the all name team . The exception is Julius Jones .
Terrance Newman, Roy Williams and Jason Witten beg to differ.
WildBlackBear32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2005   #16
ThaShark316

Rep Power: 23300 ThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to ThaShark316

I'm no Cowboy fan but...LOL @ people trying to downplay the Cowboys draft cuz its the Cowboys.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read