Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 09-30-2011   #1
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 153812 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss
Default Best team in the AFC

This guy Jim, from JimWins.com said something to the affect that he thinks the Texans could possibly be the best team in the AFC by the end of the year.

This is on 790, any body else heard that ? Or am I dreaming?
Old 09-30-2011   #2
Allstar
Bona fide

Rep Power: 16898 Allstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Best team in the AFC

Honestly, I'd still pick New England to win any AFC match up when it matters.
Allstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011   #3
redwhiteANDblue
Color of Texans

Rep Power: 1345 redwhiteANDblue is a quality contributor and well respectedredwhiteANDblue is a quality contributor and well respectedredwhiteANDblue is a quality contributor and well respectedredwhiteANDblue is a quality contributor and well respectedredwhiteANDblue is a quality contributor and well respectedredwhiteANDblue is a quality contributor and well respectedredwhiteANDblue is a quality contributor and well respectedredwhiteANDblue is a quality contributor and well respectedredwhiteANDblue is a quality contributor and well respectedredwhiteANDblue is a quality contributor and well respectedredwhiteANDblue is a quality contributor and well respected

With foster back some of those field goals are touchdowns. I don't care what anyone says but foster is the only one that can run this system to perfection. He sees the hole and is the only reason we were top 5 in the redzone last year. We could've easily won the saints game with foster no doubt. Our defense is above average, offense that controls time of possesion and can also be explosive and efficient. Not to crazy to say we could be top 5 in afc
Old 09-30-2011   #4
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 88339 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

AT 15-1 or 14-2, Texans should have that honor. I'm thinking Wade cobbles together enough defense every week to help win each game and even if there is a week game (like against Steelers) offense will bring home the victory.
Old 09-30-2011   #5
Joeycharp89
Veteran

Rep Power: 650 Joeycharp89 is a quality contributor and well respectedJoeycharp89 is a quality contributor and well respectedJoeycharp89 is a quality contributor and well respectedJoeycharp89 is a quality contributor and well respectedJoeycharp89 is a quality contributor and well respectedJoeycharp89 is a quality contributor and well respectedJoeycharp89 is a quality contributor and well respectedJoeycharp89 is a quality contributor and well respectedJoeycharp89 is a quality contributor and well respectedJoeycharp89 is a quality contributor and well respectedJoeycharp89 is a quality contributor and well respected

I'll wait till they take the championship.
Joeycharp89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011   #6
Mr teX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 65325 Mr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allstar View Post
pretty much.....u aint **** until you've done it....& the texans definitely aint done it.
Mr teX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011   #7
Dutchrudder 
COOL BEANS!

Section: Fort Kickass
Rep Power: 150980 Dutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respected

Well if a respectable guy like Jim from JimWins.com says it, it must be true!!!
Old 09-30-2011   #8
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 149996 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Every team in the NFL has some warts ..... In the AFC , I think the Pats , Ravens , Bills (wow) , Chargers and Texans are the top five in no specific order.

NFL.com writer Elliot Harrison has the Texans at #4 overall and the top team in the AFC.
Of the nine "Experts" who post lists weekly , only Pat Kirwan has the Texans outside of the top 10 (#11).

Here's a link to all 9 lists

Hope is a poor mans disease.
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011   #9
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 19125 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

I know we've never done much before and we're inexperienced in winning 'big games' but honestly I think the AFC is VERY weak this year. Working at it backwards, there's not a lot of teams that I would say are easily better than the Texans.

AFC South - Colts (No), Jags (No), Titans (No)
AFC West - Raiders (No), Chiefs (No), Broncos (No), Chargers (Push?)
AFC North - Ravens (Maybe), Steelers (Maybe), Browns (No), Bengals (No)
AFC East - Dolphins (No), Bills (WTF!!??), Jets (Maybe?), Patriots (YES)

There's some teams like the Jets, Steelers and Ravens that were thought of to be real contenders but they really aren't looking GREAT so far this season. The Bills are doing something good right now. I'd put the Patriots as the best. Chargers? Who knows.

There's still a lot of season to be played, but the AFC looks weak this year through the first 3 games.
#99 JJ Watt - Dream Big Work Hard
Ole Miss Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011   #10
Hookem Horns
The Bill Payer

Rep Power: 53922 Hookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
This guy Jim, from JimWins.com said something to the affect that he thinks the Texans could possibly be the best team in the AFC by the end of the year.

Why don't we win more than 8 games in a season before someone saying this could be the best team in the AFC.
Hookem Horns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011   #11
Dutchrudder 
COOL BEANS!

Section: Fort Kickass
Rep Power: 150980 Dutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ole Miss Texan View Post
I know we've never done much before and we're inexperienced in winning 'big games' but honestly I think the AFC is VERY weak this year. Working at it backwards, there's not a lot of teams that I would say are easily better than the Texans.

AFC South - Colts (No), Jags (No), Titans (No)
AFC West - Raiders (No), Chiefs (No), Broncos (No), Chargers (Push?)
AFC North - Ravens (Maybe), Steelers (Maybe), Browns (No), Bengals (No)
AFC East - Dolphins (No), Bills (WTF!!??), Jets (Maybe?), Patriots (YES)

There's some teams like the Jets, Steelers and Ravens that were thought of to be real contenders but they really aren't looking GREAT so far this season. The Bills are doing something good right now. I'd put the Patriots as the best. Chargers? Who knows.

There's still a lot of season to be played, but the AFC looks weak this year through the first 3 games.
I think the Raiders are the best team in the AFC West. Moreso than the Chargers. Ravens are probably better than the Texans, we'll find out in three weeks. Bills and Patriots are better than the Texans right now, or at least appear that way. I think we could take the Jets or at least make it an even game.
Old 09-30-2011   #12
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 153812 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allstar View Post
He mentioned New England & their current worse in the league pass defense.. He also mentioned a few obstacles he didn't think they would be able to overcome.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joeycharp89 View Post
I'll wait till they take the championship.
That's fine. I'm not saying I believe it, I wouldn't have even thought it was a possibility. But this guy (whoever he is, I was hoping one of you would know) hangs his hat on being able to evaluate NFL teams... like some of us believe we are better capable than Bob McNair, Gary Kubiak, & Rick Smith collectively, to evaluate talent & the play on the field.

Anyway, just an opinion I thought I'd share & ask if anyone here even thought of such a thing..

On a side note, they were also talking about how weak the AFC is this year.
Old 09-30-2011   #13
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchrudder View Post
Well if a respectable guy like Jim from JimWins.com says it, it must be true!!!
Like I said, he said it was a possibility.

I was just wondering if anyone here thought it was a possibility, not if they thought it were the case.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrosion View Post
Every team in the NFL has some warts ..... In the AFC , I think the Pats , Ravens , Bills (wow) , Chargers and Texans are the top five in no specific order.

NFL.com writer Elliot Harrison has the Texans at #4 overall and the top team in the AFC.
Of the nine "Experts" who post lists weekly , only Pat Kirwan has the Texans outside of the top 10 (#11).

Good stuff, I didn't even think of the Texans as a top anything right now.

Interesting.... really.
Old 09-30-2011   #14
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 149996 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Like I said, he said it was a possibility.

I was just wondering if anyone here thought it was a possibility, not if they thought it were the case.

Good stuff, I didn't even think of the Texans as a top anything right now.

Interesting.... really.
They played a hell of a game on the road .... Some of the plays Brees made were .... just un-defendable. There were things they could have done better .... but when the Aints needed a play , Brees found a way to make something out of nothing several times. Tip your hat to Brees and the Aints.

Hope is a poor mans disease.
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011   #15
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Section: Channel 700-ish on NFL Sunday Ticket
Rep Power: 36493 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrosion View Post

Joe Theisman also has them at #11. These rankings are fun and all, but count me in the "hide and watch" or "show me the money" camp. Been burned too many times to get too excited this early in the year.
Old 10-01-2011   #16
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBar View Post
Joe Theisman also has them at #11. These rankings are fun and all, but count me in the "hide and watch" or "show me the money" camp. Been burned too many times to get too excited this early in the year.
These rankings are more about who is playing the best football right now. Goofy coaching mistakes don't matter.... in fact, if you think we have a goofy coach problem, a high power rank will reflect as much. But overall, the teams that are looking good & doing well gravitate to the top of the list. They're the teams playing the best football right now.

We analyze the Texans under a micro-scope. 1 red zone issue to us means it's the end of the season & we'll never win anything. But the other teams have problems moving the ball at all. We don't usually factor in how other teams are playing. Matt Schaub completing only 66% of his passes.... "OMG, he sucks, he'll never take us to the championship, we can't win with Matt!" never mind that 66% is better than the QB they would rather have...

Defensively, we've been playing solid for two games & three qtrs..... We kept one of the best offenses in football out of the end zone (much less the red zone) for three Qtrs. Other teams are having trouble putting two good defensive qtrs together back to back.

Power rankings are useful & have their purpose. It's only when people take those rankings out of context that they seem worthless.
Old 10-01-2011   #17
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Section: Channel 700-ish on NFL Sunday Ticket
Rep Power: 36493 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
These rankings are more about who is playing the best football right now. Goofy coaching mistakes don't matter.... in fact, if you think we have a goofy coach problem, a high power rank will reflect as much. But overall, the teams that are looking good & doing well gravitate to the top of the list. They're the teams playing the best football right now.

We analyze the Texans under a micro-scope. 1 red zone issue to us means it's the end of the season & we'll never win anything. But the other teams have problems moving the ball at all. We don't usually factor in how other teams are playing. Matt Schaub completing only 66% of his passes.... "OMG, he sucks, he'll never take us to the championship, we can't win with Matt!" never mind that 66% is better than the QB they would rather have...

Defensively, we've been playing solid for two games & three qtrs..... We kept one of the best offenses in football out of the end zone (much less the red zone) for three Qtrs. Other teams are having trouble putting two good defensive qtrs together back to back.

Power rankings are useful & have their purpose. It's only when people take those rankings out of context that they seem worthless.
I enjoy checking out the power rankings, and it's nice to see the Texans consensus top 10-ish. I just don't put a lot of stock in them.
Old 10-01-2011   #18
rush2112mn
All Pro

Rep Power: 972 rush2112mn is a quality contributor and well respectedrush2112mn is a quality contributor and well respectedrush2112mn is a quality contributor and well respectedrush2112mn is a quality contributor and well respectedrush2112mn is a quality contributor and well respectedrush2112mn is a quality contributor and well respectedrush2112mn is a quality contributor and well respectedrush2112mn is a quality contributor and well respectedrush2112mn is a quality contributor and well respectedrush2112mn is a quality contributor and well respectedrush2112mn is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Talk about counting your chickens before they hatch......
Show ....dont tell........
Talk is CHEAP.....
Fool me once.......
Life is like a box of chocolates.....
rush2112mn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011   #19
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
Originally Posted by rush2112mn View Post
Talk about counting your chickens before they hatch......
Show ....dont tell........
Talk is CHEAP.....
Fool me once.......
Life is like a box of chocolates.....
So you think it is definitely within the possibility of this team in it's current configuration to be the Best Team in the AFC?

Best WR, Best RB, top 10 (5?) QB.... why not? All we need is a decent to good defense & we've got Wade with a whole bunch of early draft picks.

Surely that is why Texans' fans are so upset We see all the right moves being made, all the right things, and somehow we see it falter for some of the dumbest reasons imaginable. The smallest accomplishments seem to be out of our reach.

Maybe that's why we think our little 6-10 team should spank last year's AFC Champs.
Old 10-01-2011   #20
texanhead08
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 8237 texanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
AT 15-1 or 14-2, Texans should have that honor. I'm thinking Wade cobbles together enough defense every week to help win each game and even if there is a week game (like against Steelers) offense will bring home the victory.
I want the Texans to be that team in the worst way but I don't want to hear coulda shoulda's I want to see results. Lets just take things one game at a time.

Gary Kubiak
December 4,2011
texanhead08 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read