Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 09-30-2011   #1
Brisco_County
Texans worthy

Rep Power: 63514 Brisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Houston's biggest offseason mistake

We could've gotten this guy for cheap. The acquisition would've gone beyond simply addressing position needs, and the contract would've been low risk for the front office.

I really don't get it. Some guys have very real character issues, and some were just people who needed a reason to grow up. Plaxico is a guy who found his reason, and a simple interview would've made it obvious.

But we went with vetting UDFA's who wouldn't be productive for two years at best.

Quote:
Plaxico Burress has shown very little rust in his first three NFL games since 2008, and has already become a reliable target for Mark Sanchez in both the red zone and the middle of the field. But one area of his game that has taken some people by surprise is his role as a blocker downfield, where he has thrown some key blocks to help spring LaDanian Tomlinson and other Jets ball carriers for additional yardage.
Link

Yeah, many other teams passed too, but we understood our own needs enough to where this should have been obvious.

And screw the Jets.
Brisco_County is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011   #2
BigBull17
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 6163 BigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Houston's biggest offseason mistake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brisco_County View Post
We could've gotten this guy for cheap. The acquisition would've gone beyond simply addressing position needs, and the contract would've been low risk for the front office.

I really don't get it. Some guys have very real character issues, and some were just people who needed a reason to grow up. Plaxico is a guy who found his reason, and a simple interview would've made it obvious.

But we went with vetting UDFA's who wouldn't be productive for two years at best.

Link

Yeah, many other teams passed too, but we understood our own needs enough to where this should have been obvious.

And screw the Jets.
He wouldn't even workout for teams. Was a risk and I'm not mad they didn't sign him.
Old 09-30-2011   #3
Brisco_County
Texans worthy

Rep Power: 63514 Brisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBull17 View Post
He wouldn't even workout for teams. Was a risk and I'm not mad they didn't sign him.
He expressed unsolicited interest in the Texans.
Old 09-30-2011   #4
sandman
All Pro

Rep Power: 45127 sandman is a quality contributor and well respectedsandman is a quality contributor and well respectedsandman is a quality contributor and well respectedsandman is a quality contributor and well respectedsandman is a quality contributor and well respectedsandman is a quality contributor and well respectedsandman is a quality contributor and well respectedsandman is a quality contributor and well respectedsandman is a quality contributor and well respectedsandman is a quality contributor and well respectedsandman is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
He expressed unsolicited interest in the Texans.
He expressed unsolicited interest in signing a contract and thought the Texans to be one of the paths of least resistance. It had nothing to do with wanting to play for Kubes or alongside AJ or anything else.
sandman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011   #5
Naiirb
All Pro

Rep Power: 2332 Naiirb is a quality contributor and well respectedNaiirb is a quality contributor and well respectedNaiirb is a quality contributor and well respectedNaiirb is a quality contributor and well respectedNaiirb is a quality contributor and well respectedNaiirb is a quality contributor and well respectedNaiirb is a quality contributor and well respectedNaiirb is a quality contributor and well respectedNaiirb is a quality contributor and well respectedNaiirb is a quality contributor and well respectedNaiirb is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBull17 View Post
I think he would of definitely taken the Texans serious if they showed interest. I remember him being on NFL Network and when asked about possibly playing in Houston his eyes lit up talking about playing in this offense and lining up across AJ.
Naiirb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011   #6
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24791 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Our biggest offseason mistake was not signing Plax? Not sure about that. We don't even know if we could have signed him or if we were interested, how much it would take.

Aaron Schobel said he wanted to play here too....
#99 JJ Watt - Dream Big Work Hard
Ole Miss Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011   #7
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 108115 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Biggest offseason mistake?

Letting Nolan Ryan go to the Rangers?
Old 09-30-2011   #8
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 143539 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Never been a fan of Plaxico and no reason. I rthink biggest failure was not trading for Asante Samuel to give DBs solid vets and allow younger guys to develop.
Old 09-30-2011   #9
Brisco_County
Texans worthy

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
Never been a fan of Plaxico and no reason. I rthink biggest failure was not trading for Asante Samuel to give DBs solid vets and allow younger guys to develop.
What would we have traded?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan_Bill View Post

I concede.
Old 09-30-2011   #10
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 143539 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
What would we have traded?

I concede.
Reportedly, Eagles let it be known they wanted a 2nd round next two drafts. I'd jump on that. Not only would that push us deepr into playoffs but would radically impact our next draft imo. Now if one of our younger guys step up and take over CB2 we will be in even better shap & that is probably mind set of Kubes & Phillips. I hope they are correct.
Old 09-30-2011   #11
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 107472 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan_Bill View Post

Signed,

The firing of Bum and Earl
Old 09-30-2011   #12
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 108115 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOU-TEX View Post
Signed,

The firing of Bum and Earl
I thought about Bum, but for some reason I thought I couldn't remember if he was fired during season or not.
Old 09-30-2011   #13
TimeKiller
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Location: This giant tree, standing 10,000 ft. high but not reaching the ground. It's roots must hold the sky.
Section: 521/Couch
Rep Power: 0 TimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respected

Easily, resigning JJ is a bigger mistake than not signing Plaxico Burress. Or resigning David Anderson when clearly anybody can be as effective as him.
TimeKiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011   #14
ChampionTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 77346 ChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Not that I had a problem with the idea of Plaxico coming here, but if this is the Texans biggest off season mistake, I can live with that.
Old 09-30-2011   #15
BattleRedToro
Thread Killer

Rep Power: 3989 BattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respected

I agree he was low risk. I think he could have been a real fan favorite in Texas. He got in trouble over guns and most Texans like guns.
Old 09-30-2011   #16
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

My problem with the guy is how he threw Coughlin under the bus just a few weeks ago. Plaxico is just out of jail and he wants to throw barbs at Coughlin?

I lump those sorts of people all together in my "Shit Head" bucket. You stir up the bucket, pour it out and you've got a bunch of shit mixed together. I'll add David Carr, Dunta Robinson (who ironically threw David Carr under the bus), and others like them who can't wait to run to the media and cry about how mistreated they were with their former team(s).

That's a sign that the guy will fold like a lawn chair and duck and run for cover when the heat is too hot in the kitchen. It's always "somebody else's fault" as to why they couldn't succeed somewhere. I suppose Vernon Gholston is in that same boat, if we get right down to it.
Old 09-30-2011   #17
Brisco_County
Texans worthy

Agreed that he didn't act classy when airing the dirty laundry, but that doesn't negate the upside. And if the guy has reliability issues, he went all the way to the Superbowl before they surfaced.

It all comes down to how badly we want to win. If we want it, we would've paid the marginally low contract and risked the possibility of a little BS for a #2 WR who's 6'5, around 225lbs, can block, and run routes.

Yeah, it was our biggest offseason mistake.
Old 09-30-2011   #18
leebigeztx
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 29411 leebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via MSN to leebigeztx

To me, I think of 2 guys that could've made this team a sb contender, abreya franklin and randy moss/ braylon edwards. This isn't anything new with me because I see real limitations into what they do both offensively and defensively. Franklin is the nt with quickness who can also stop the run. He's much beeter in every facet in comparison to cody and mithcell. Neither of those guys have even been average this season. Offensively, the texans have johnson and a bunch of solid guys. If they get into the playoffs, teams will double dre and make someone else beat them. We know the run game is strong, but if they moss or edwards, now you could never add a 8 guy in the box or roll to aj.
Old 09-30-2011   #19
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 218620 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:

Link

And screw the Jets.
Man I love to play the woulda coulda shoulda game.

But first, this team hasn't really made any indication that getting another WR was anywhere near a top priority. I know as fans, once we hear that "Player X" is available, we immediately think, "What would be the best case scenario if we had this guy on our team?"

But obviously the FO doesn't think that way. I don't know why, you'd think with the defense heavy drafts we've had, any opportunity you get for a blue chip at a discount you'd take a looksee....

Secondly, Remember what happened when Rick Smith went after Nnamdi? Rick Smith got bigDkd by the Jets wallet book & apparently vowed never to tread in the deep end of the pool again.
Old 09-30-2011   #20
jaayteetx
Hall of Fame

Section: 623
Rep Power: 25091 jaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
Man I love to play the woulda coulda shoulda game.

But first, this team hasn't really made any indication that getting another WR was anywhere near a top priority. I know as fans, once we hear that "Player X" is available, we immediately think, "What would be the best case scenario if we had this guy on our team?"

But obviously the FO doesn't think that way. I don't know why, you'd think with the defense heavy drafts we've had, any opportunity you get for a blue chip at a discount you'd take a looksee....

Secondly, Remember what happened when Rick Smith went after Nnamdi? Rick Smith got bigDkd by the Jets wallet book & apparently vowed never to tread in the deep end of the pool again.

Thats not exactly true, first Nnamdi signed with the Eagles not the Jets and Rick learned his lesson from the previous year when Bodden was playing us for more money, thats why he went after Joseph.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read