Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

The National Football League League News & Current Events

Old 09-29-2011   #1
gg no re
iggnorent

Rep Power: 28360 gg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Vick was right... the refs do play favorites.

Quote:
Raiders quarterback Jason Campbell has drawn roughing the passer penalties at a higher rate than any other quarterback in the NFL since the start of the 2010 season, according to former head of officiating Mike Pereira...

...After Campbell, the quarterbacks who draw the most roughing the passer penalties are Jay Cutler, Colt McCoy, Jimmy Clausen and Sam Bradford.
Quote:
Tom Brady draws a roughing the passer penalty 0.16 times for every 100 passes...

...In addition to Brady, the quarterbacks who draw the fewest roughing the passer penalties are Eli Manning, Matt Schaub, Peyton Manning, David Garrard, Joe Flacco, Kevin Kolb and Tony Romo.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...ser-penalties/
gg no re is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011   #2
kwayshauntay
Veteran

Rep Power: 832 kwayshauntay is a quality contributor and well respectedkwayshauntay is a quality contributor and well respectedkwayshauntay is a quality contributor and well respectedkwayshauntay is a quality contributor and well respectedkwayshauntay is a quality contributor and well respectedkwayshauntay is a quality contributor and well respectedkwayshauntay is a quality contributor and well respectedkwayshauntay is a quality contributor and well respectedkwayshauntay is a quality contributor and well respectedkwayshauntay is a quality contributor and well respectedkwayshauntay is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Vick was right... the refs do play favorites.

Good find LOL.

I'm sure "certain" ESPN "experts" will ignore this.

*cough* Tom Jackson!! *cough*
kwayshauntay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011   #3
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 88913 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected

Well I wonder how you rate that stat up and go a step or two more and compare A qb's ability reading a defense and quick release
Wolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011   #4
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 201178 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

I don't think the refs play favorites. But I do think they just simply miss a lot of shit. I'd rather live with that though, than have every damn play reviewed. I think for playoff games, they should stick another ref on the field just to have more eyes on what's going on. Sometimes it's just totally obvious they missed something or called it wrong.

It's just the cure for that is most certainly worse than the bite.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011   #5
welsh texan
Lest we forget

Rep Power: 22601 welsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm not sure about this stat.

You think of Cutler under Martz, horrible O-line, lots of sacks, therefore more chance to get a penalty when the D arrive a little too late.

On the other hand Peyton and Brady you can't really get to anyway, they're so good in the pocket, so are less likely to recieve a penalty.

Schaub holds on to the ball too long, and they run a lot of bootlegs etc so less chance for him too.

I don't know if this holds for all those players on the list, just a few that stand out for me as having reasons why their stats could be skewed.
welsh texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011   #6
Mr teX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 75384 Mr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respected

In any league the rules just can't & never do cover everyone equally. There's always that rare 1 or 2 guys who set the rules/league on its head with what they're capable of doing athletically. So I do think he's got a point, but it's a problem exclusive to him b/c he's something NFL refs haven't had to deal with back there at the position before. So in that regard, its not pocket qbs vs. mobile qbs. It's pocket qbs vs him.

It's like Shaq & Yao Ming in the NBA today & Wilt Chamberlain before them. Any other players of "normal" size for their positions that recieved the kind of abuse those guys got down low game in game out wouldn't make it through an entire game let alone season. Its like JVG said all the time about Yao. Refs haven't quite got down on how to ref against Yao.
Mr teX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011   #7
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24791 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

I think that can be a misleading statistical measure. I think a better measure would be not from flags thrown per 100 passes.... but flags thrown per X number of QB pressures/hits, etc.
#99 JJ Watt - Dream Big Work Hard
Ole Miss Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 09-30-2011   #8
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 269149 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ole Miss Texan View Post
I think that can be a misleading statistical measure. I think a better measure would be not from flags thrown per 100 passes.... but flags thrown per X number of QB pressures/hits, etc.
Exactly. The article even mentions that. This is meaningless.
Old 09-30-2011   #9
Joeycharp89
Veteran

Rep Power: 650 Joeycharp89 is a quality contributor and well respectedJoeycharp89 is a quality contributor and well respectedJoeycharp89 is a quality contributor and well respectedJoeycharp89 is a quality contributor and well respectedJoeycharp89 is a quality contributor and well respectedJoeycharp89 is a quality contributor and well respectedJoeycharp89 is a quality contributor and well respectedJoeycharp89 is a quality contributor and well respectedJoeycharp89 is a quality contributor and well respectedJoeycharp89 is a quality contributor and well respectedJoeycharp89 is a quality contributor and well respected

They should strap a referee to the Center's back. That way someone can keep an eye on the QBs at all times. Until they get into a pile-up....
Joeycharp89 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read