Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Saints Game: Schaub Grabs Helmet in Apparent Pain

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame
...........after he took a knee to the helmet in the Saints game. He appeared to be in severe agony. So it was good to see him finally get up again.........and not leave the game with what could have very well been a reaction to concussion.

As it turns out, his in-helmet speaker went crazy and started blasting at unbearably high volume.

Don’t know if anyone ever brought this up or even had a sick feeling when it occurred.

...........after he took a knee to the helmet in the Saints game. He appeared to be in severe agony. So it was good to see him finally get up again.........and not leave the game with what could have very well been a reaction to concussion.

As it turns out, his in-helmet speaker went crazy and started blasting at unbearably high volume.

Don’t know if anyone ever brought this up or even had a sick feeling when it occurred.

Yup. Heard that yesterday Doc. Kinda funny when you think about it.

Wouldn't your first reaction be to take your helmet off instead clutching it in the fetal position?

Wow! I was actually wondering if that was what it was, because he didn't take that hard of a hit.

I bet he had a "polite" little conversation with the equipment manager, after his ears stopped ringing, that is.;)

Here's Schaub's explaination. He admits to trying to draw the flag. Who said it was the speakers in the helmet?

“Well, I was just trying to; A, there was a little bit of a guy that came in there with his leg that kind of shocked me a little bit, but at the same time, that’s a point in the game that if you have something like that, that you’re trying to maybe get a flag come out and get a call, trying to do anything you can to move the chains.”

http://www.houstontexans.com/news/a...practice/72cbea69-a7fb-454a-9088-7d8468cd80e2

Schaub was on the radio the other day and he said he hammed it up a bit and was trying to get a flag. He said "anything to help the team".

Now I caught it in mid interview so he may have been half joking, but i didn't hear anything about the ear piece. Just the hit and how it kinda hurt and how he was trying to sell it.

I'm just saying if there is a loud sound blasting through my helmet, the last thing in my mind would be about avoiding a penalty.

There was no loud sound and really that explanation doesn't make a lot of sense.

But you are right, if a sound in your ear is loud enough for you to grab your head and wince from the pain, you would at least pull your helmet up a little to get the ear piece from directly over your ear tunnel.

You can unbuckle your chin strap and pull your helmet up a little without getting a penalty.

I hadn't heard that, but when I saw it I thought it was something with the electronics based on his body language. He didn't look like he was foggy, he looked like I do when I turn on Pandora Radio on after I've had my IPod hooked up to my car at full volume.

That or I thought maybe he was pissed because he hasn't had one of those "Crazy Schaub" photos show up somewhere recently.

Faking an injury to slow down the Saints? LOL.

I didn't think he was faking, I thought he took another shot to the head, I saw two earlier, and was just sick & tired of the refs not calling it, so he was trying to draw attention to it.

I agree with what Michael Vick said, I don't agree with how he said it.

If there is anything I do not like about Kubiak's sideline demeanor, is that he doesn't light into the referees when we don't get the calls we should.

Now if a player unintentionally bumped my QBs helmet, that's another story. But Matt's been taking helmet to helmet contact, late hits, unnecessary roughness.... & Kubiak (as far as I know) doesn't say anything.

I think, it's just like basketball. If the coach cries about it, the referees will start looking for it. & you'll get the calls you should.

Schaub was on the radio the other day and he said he hammed it up a bit and was trying to get a flag. He said "anything to help the team".

Now I caught it in mid interview so he may have been half joking, but i didn't hear anything about the ear piece. Just the hit and how it kinda hurt and how he was trying to sell it.

Yeah, that's what I thought.

Justice reports:

There was a scary moment in the fourth quarter when Matt Schaub went down hard and appeared to take a knee to the helmet. He stayed down a moment, his hands clutching his helmet as if he’d suffered a head injury.

Turns out, he was holding his head in pain of a different kind. He was being blown out of the helmet by a sound system that was screaming in his ears. Once the volume got turned down, he was fine.

I thought the player may have brushed his knee against his helmet in the replays, and that's being generous. I was having visions of David Carr for a moment.

hrn860.jpg

I didn't think he was faking, I thought he took another shot to the head, I saw two earlier, and was just sick & tired of the refs not calling it, so he was trying to draw attention to it.

I agree with what Michael Vick said, I don't agree with how he said it.

If there is anything I do not like about Kubiak's sideline demeanor, is that he doesn't light into the referees when we don't get the calls we should.

Now if a player unintentionally bumped my QBs helmet, that's another story. But Matt's been taking helmet to helmet contact, late hits, unnecessary roughness.... & Kubiak (as far as I know) doesn't say anything.

I think, it's just like basketball. If the coach cries about it, the referees will start looking for it. & you'll get the calls you should.
It was just meant to be a comical post based on this thread from a week ago. Here it is just in case you missed it but I agree with your premise.
http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=85145

You couldn't be more wrong. Kubiak drops F-bombs and lights into referees walking yards onto the field to do so with regularity when he doesn't like calls.

You couldn't be more wrong. Kubiak drops F-bombs and lights into referees walking yards onto the field to do so with regularity when he doesn't like calls.

Yeah, the problem though is that he does it when the flag is thrown and doesn't know it's a penalty against the other team. :jk: :kubepalm:

Exactly. Pretty cool how people tend to perpetuate things that are completely false.

mediaManager

mediaManager

I'm pretty sure he's not asking for the refs address to send a Christmas card to.

should have been roughing the passer pentaly

He was on the ground and like 2 sec later a saints player walks over to him and falls on him like a downward tackle motion :cool:

Yeah.... I didn't say anything about Kubiak not getting into it with the referees.

I'm talking about the non-calls. I understand there are way too many non-calls to get into with the refs each & every time... sometimes they are judgement calls.... & sometimes they said their peace with the refs the night before.

But I'm talking about when your QB is getting molested on a regular basis. When Shaub took that hit from Jared Allen, I don't believe there was a flag..... Kubiak should have been all up & down that ref whose job it is to watch his QB. That's an extreme case, but I've seen Schaub take two or three hits a game that shouldn't even be questionable.... no flag when Peyton or Brady would get every questionable call & then some.

I'd like to discuss what's truth and what's spin. The divergence into Kubiak's demeanor with refs is hijacking this topic.

As to the topic: If you have a noise blaring in your ears, why do you cover the earholes on your helmet and further heighten the noise's effects on your ears??? Doesn't wash with me.

File this one as Schaub jokingly being honest and the Texans putting spin on it, in light of the recent Injury Gate drama with the Giants. Period.

He was trying to draw a flag, which is something we damn sure needed lots of in that 4th quarter. I don't blame him for trying. The Texans are covering for him, which they should do as well. Round and round the Battle Red Wagon goes! LOL.

"That's fuggin' bullshit, Joe!"

I have a feeling he was pissed off with the special teams unit right there.

I made that GIF from the game at Indy 2 years ago, when the refs screwed the Texans
out of a call.

I made that GIF from the game at Indy 2 years ago, when the refs screwed the Texans
out of a call.

When you watch the gif of Kubiak....say it with him, but in the voice of Mr. T from the A-Team tv show. LOL.

I can remember people complaining about how Kubiak isn't "fiery"... Clearly, they were wrong. Now TK (and you're my Cat, dog!) is reaching for that the fact that Kubiak didn't raise a stink about the Jared "cheap shot" Allen hit. Let's see, :thinking: it was real time. Texans were down 14-7. They were speeding up the offense. Lastly, at the time of the play Matt was being pressured and shuffled to his left. Then Pitts scrambles to block Allen which could potentially look like blocked Allen into Schaub at real time...

Is the video crew at the MetroDome going to show the replay in slow-mo for the Texans and Kubiak to review and to throw a fit? Hardly.. It wasn't after they had a chance to review the game film before they realized it was a cheap shot. IIRC, the Texans sent a few film views of the play to the league...

Kubiak deserves criticism, like EVERY coach in the league. That said, lets pick and choose our battles more wisely... People, quit with the "Kubiak isn't fiery enough" or this situation with Jared Allen.

Kubiak deserves criticism, like EVERY coach in the league. That said, lets pick and choose our battles more wisely... People, quit with the "Kubiak isn't fiery enough" or this situation with Jared Allen.

I never said Kubiak wasn't fiery enough. I wisely chose this battle as I said, "the only gripe I have."

& I was pretty specific about what I wanted & why.

The Jared Allen is the only incident I mentioned specifically, but I wasn't referring to it specifically. I mentioned I saw two to three hits on Schaub each game this year that I would have liked to have seen a flag.

It might not mean anything right away, but hopefully by the time we get to the play-offs, the refs would actually start doing their job & watch.

It's a bit of an NBA mentality...... the squeaky wheel gets the grease.

Back