Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 09-29-2011   #21
HTown2ATX
TexansMetalhead

Rep Power: 64539 HTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Steelers beat writer: Texans will win

FWIW.....my dad who lives in Houston is from Pittsburgh and is a die hard Steeler fan as you would expect and also likes the Texans too.

He reads the paper up there online and is pretty good at following them and predicting the outcome of the Steeler games.

So, FWIW he is calling for Texans win by 7+ when I talked to him last night.

Also as an aside, thankfully the Texans look good right now and the Steelers kind of down so I haven't been getting the "recruiting" calls from him to join the dark side lol.

Dormant bodies bursting!
HTown2ATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011   #22
silentassassin
Veteran

Rep Power: 2069 silentassassin is a quality contributor and well respectedsilentassassin is a quality contributor and well respectedsilentassassin is a quality contributor and well respectedsilentassassin is a quality contributor and well respectedsilentassassin is a quality contributor and well respectedsilentassassin is a quality contributor and well respectedsilentassassin is a quality contributor and well respectedsilentassassin is a quality contributor and well respectedsilentassassin is a quality contributor and well respectedsilentassassin is a quality contributor and well respectedsilentassassin is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HTown2ATX View Post

Also as an aside, thankfully the Texans look good right now and the Steelers kind of down so I haven't been getting the "recruiting" calls from him to join the dark side lol.

Once a fan, always a fan!!!
silentassassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011   #23
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 77701 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected

I just think this one will boil down to whether that elite Steeler defense shows back up or not. That offense is alright, it's not at it's peak right now either.
Old 09-29-2011   #24
drs23 
Veteran

Section: No more VIP suite so back to the recliner
Rep Power: 84789 drs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default A different Steelers beat writer..

edit

Many thanks to sig Guru FS!

Sent from my keyboard using short, fat fingers.

Last edited by drs23; 09-29-2011 at 12:16 PM.
drs23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011   #25
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 260728 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss
Default Re: A different Steelers beat writer..

I know most people aren't giving us any credit for the win over the Colts. Peyton Manning don't play defense.

But that's ok... they have valid points... Peyton puts up points, they play with a lead.... blah, blah, blah..... even though we've put the Colts down 20+ points & still had them come back to beat us more than once.

Anyway, there ain't going to be any excuses this time. The Steelers D is the Steelers D & they allow Ben & the offense to get away with crap.

They'll be motivated to play & they don't like to lose 2 in a row.
Old 09-29-2011   #26
silentassassin
Veteran

Rep Power: 2069 silentassassin is a quality contributor and well respectedsilentassassin is a quality contributor and well respectedsilentassassin is a quality contributor and well respectedsilentassassin is a quality contributor and well respectedsilentassassin is a quality contributor and well respectedsilentassassin is a quality contributor and well respectedsilentassassin is a quality contributor and well respectedsilentassassin is a quality contributor and well respectedsilentassassin is a quality contributor and well respectedsilentassassin is a quality contributor and well respectedsilentassassin is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
I know most people aren't giving us any credit for the win over the Colts. Peyton Manning don't play defense.

But that's ok... they have valid points... Peyton puts up points, they play with a lead.... blah, blah, blah..... even though we've put the Colts down 20+ points & still had them come back to beat us more than once.

Anyway, there ain't going to be any excuses this time. The Steelers D is the Steelers D & they allow Ben & the offense to get away with crap.

They'll be motivated to play & they don't like to lose 2 in a row.
Well it's a good thing they won last week!

In all seriousness, I agree. I don't think you can put anything past them and this offense will have its work cut out. It was encouraging to see the offense get creative against the Saints by using AJ in screens and end-arounds and getting innovative with Casey. I honestly feel like they don't stand a chance if they don't get as creative as they did last week, but I think they will.
silentassassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011   #27
disaacks3
Site Contributor

Section: 116 - Row M
Rep Power: 135090 disaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by The1ApplePie View Post
Romo bitched out the whole offense Monday night and got things turned around.

Brady does it all the time

Brees does this as well

Don't see enough Packers games to know if Rodgers does it.

It is all part of being a leader.
I've never seen a great QB who didn't. Elway, Montana, Marino, Bradshaw, Staubach, etc.

This isn't an office full of cubicles, it's a violent sport played by VERY athletic men. Yelling will always be part of that picture.
Old 09-29-2011   #28
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 260728 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by silentassassin View Post
Well it's a good thing they won last week!

In all seriousness, I agree. I don't think you can put anything past them and this offense will have its work cut out. It was encouraging to see the offense get creative against the Saints by using AJ in screens and end-arounds and getting innovative with Casey. I honestly feel like they don't stand a chance if they don't get as creative as they did last week, but I think they will.
You're right, I was hoping the Steelers lost (I know the Colts are in our division) but I wanted to see the Texans against a pissed off Steelers' team. Hopefully they're pissed off enough because they've been getting some bad press off of their unimpressive win.

The thing I liked about that screen to Andre, is that the Texans finally did something different That play worked once a long time ago. After that, if Andre turns to face the QB, the CB is coming at 100 mph. More recently, when that play has worked, Dre has to fight through a ton of defenders to gain 10 yards. It's like everyone knows it's in our playbook & they are just waiting for it. That's why you can't run the reverse with Andre... There's a minimum of 3 guys watching what he's doing on every single play, they'll be waiting for him on the other side.

But Sunday, what they did, was Andre took a step, like he was going to run a route. The 3 people assigned to Andre took a step back, which allowed our blockers to get into position & BAM!! magic.

Whoever thought up that one step thing... genius.
Old 09-29-2011   #29
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
Originally Posted by disaacks3 View Post
I've never seen a great QB who didn't. Elway, Montana, Marino, Bradshaw, Staubach, etc.

This isn't an office full of cubicles, it's a violent sport played by VERY athletic men. Yelling will always be part of that picture.
If it's who you are & you've earned that kind of capital then you bet. But if you don't have that kind of relationship with your team, it isn't going to work.

It's the same with you & your coworkers, if they do something that screws up your ability to do your job, how would they react when you go apeshit?

I'm surprised that center didn't just roll over after Romo went off on him.

Then there are some guys you can say anything to, anyway you want & you'll get the results you're looking for.

All I'm saying is, I don't give a shit if you call it PC or what ever, there's a right way & a wrong way to handle people, & it's different for everybody. Our team may not respond to Matt acting like an ***** on the field. Matt probably has it under control.

But personally, when I see a QB/Coach act like that, I don't like it. I don't care what the results are. I don't like it & I like that coach/player a little bit less.
Old 09-29-2011   #30
The1ApplePie
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 104197 The1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
If it's who you are & you've earned that kind of capital then you bet. But if you don't have that kind of relationship with your team, it isn't going to work.

It's the same with you & your coworkers, if they do something that screws up your ability to do your job, how would they react when you go apeshit?

I'm surprised that center didn't just roll over after Romo went off on him.

Then there are some guys you can say anything to, anyway you want & you'll get the results you're looking for.

All I'm saying is, I don't give a shit if you call it PC or what ever, there's a right way & a wrong way to handle people, & it's different for everybody. Our team may not respond to Matt acting like an ***** on the field. Matt probably has it under control.

But personally, when I see a QB/Coach act like that, I don't like it. I don't care what the results are. I don't like it & I like that coach/player a little bit less.
That may not be in Matt's DNA. I can agree with that.

Schaub reminds me of Jay Culter, Eli Manning, and Daunte Culpepper (with a better brain but weaker arm) in how he goes about the game. Great talent without the overeaching personality.

The only question I have about Matt is if he can elevated the talent around him or if he is dependant on that talent to elevate him.
The1ApplePie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011   #31
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 354011 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
The only question I have about Matt is if he can elevated the talent around him or if he is dependant on that talent to elevate him.
FWIW (and you would expect teammates to compliment him) when Cushing was on TV yesterday he was asked how Matt was as a leader. My impression was he gave more than a generic "Matt's a good leader, he keeps the O focused and together" or some such he kind of went out of his way and said something to the effect of "Matt's a great leader not just for the offense but the defense as well, he inspires and motivates the whole team." He made some other comment about it but I can't remember what it was.
Old 09-29-2011   #32
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
That may not be in Matt's DNA. I can agree with that.

Schaub reminds me of Jay Culter, Eli Manning, and Daunte Culpepper (with a better brain but weaker arm) in how he goes about the game. Great talent without the overeaching personality.
Ouch... WTF, he's not that bad is he?

Quote:
Manning makes everyone better, because you don't need to be WAO to get the ball. You don't have to be a super-acrobatic toughsumbit to make a catch. He leads you away from defenders. He reads defenses & if you get to the spot he tells you to get, all you have to do is catch & run. For an OL, he gets rid of the ball quick.

Matt can do that.... he hasn't done it as consistently as Manning has, but he can do it. Heck, if Matt can get around on those bootlegs faster to get the ball out ahead of AJ, or whoever, he'll make them look much better than they do now.
Old 09-29-2011   #33
The1ApplePie
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 104197 The1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Ouch... WTF, he's not that bad is he?
Not meant as an insult. I am a fan of Culter and Eli. Their manner on the field seems similar to me. Eli is a very good leader by all accounts, he just doesn't show it in a way cameras can see.

They aren't hot heads like Rivers or high-risk-high-reward gunslingers like Romo, but are just as talented (maybe even more skilled).
The1ApplePie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011   #34
hradhak
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 7351 hradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respected

My feeling is that Texans have already faced their toughest opponent for the enitre season with the Saints. Still, I'm wary of ever calling a game against the Steelers a victory. The Steelers have problems on offense no doubt, but that defense keeps them in games. Even if the Steelers offense can't get it done, the defense can score points and shut us out in the red zone.
hradhak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011   #35
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
Originally Posted by hradhak View Post
My feeling is that Texans have already faced their toughest opponent for the enitre season with the Saints. Still, I'm wary of ever calling a game against the Steelers a victory. The Steelers have problems on offense no doubt, but that defense keeps them in games. Even if the Steelers offense can't get it done, the defense can score points and shut us out in the red zone.
I'd put the Ravens right there with the Saints. Their offense isn't as consistently potent, but they're dangerous just the same. Like us, they can score 30 on any given day. Their defense is leagues ahead of New Orleans, which makes them just as tough. They may actually be able to stop us from scoring...... with our redzone issues, they most likely will.

The Steelers.... the good Steelers (who may very well show up Sunday) are just as dangerous.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read