Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League > Fantasy Football Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Fantasy Football Talk Fantasy football and video games

Old 11-03-2011   #1
welsh texan
Lest we forget

Rep Power: 22601 welsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default PFF DB rankings at mid-season (Fantasy Football)

Well there has been a lot of talk in the 'bash Kareem' thread about the Texan's DB situation this season, but was just browsing the PFF website and came across these rankings of the top 100 DB's in the NFL this season.

39. Glover Quin HOU
45. Jonathan Joseph HOU
52. Danieal Manning HOU
85. Kareem Jackson HOU
100. Dominique Barber HOU

Of interest may also be;

13. Bernard Pollard BLT
65. Nnamdi Asomugha PHI
81. Leigh Bodden NE
91. Ike Taylor PIT
98. Dunta Robinson ATL

Now, I don't really know what kind of standing the opinion of PFF has to those 'in the know', but its certainly nice to see that, if you say each of the 32 teams' 4 DB starters 'should' be in the top 128 in the league, we've got 5 within the top 100 (by this opinion). Something must be going right.

I also chose to include a few other players' positions which may be of interest for various reasons;

Baltimore are obviously playing to Bernard Pollard's strengths.

As much as we all would have liked Nnamdi Asomugha in the off-season things are working out better for JoJo in HOU than for Nnamdi in Philly (not trying to claim he's not as good a player there, but we can clearly be very happy having made the best of the cards we were dealt)

Leigh Bodden, who many of us are interested in taking a look at is ranked only slightly above KJAX.

Ike Taylor who many were interested in bringing in in the off-season is ranked below KJAX.

And DROB only just makes it into the top 100, at 98.

All stats and analysis is provided on a FWIW basis.
welsh texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011   #2
TdotTexas2Step
All Pro

Rep Power: 1976 TdotTexas2Step is a quality contributor and well respectedTdotTexas2Step is a quality contributor and well respectedTdotTexas2Step is a quality contributor and well respectedTdotTexas2Step is a quality contributor and well respectedTdotTexas2Step is a quality contributor and well respectedTdotTexas2Step is a quality contributor and well respectedTdotTexas2Step is a quality contributor and well respectedTdotTexas2Step is a quality contributor and well respectedTdotTexas2Step is a quality contributor and well respectedTdotTexas2Step is a quality contributor and well respectedTdotTexas2Step is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: PFF DB rankings at mid-season

I think these rankings are of a testament to the importance of putting players in the best position to succeed. Cushing made note recently of how Wade has been putting them in spots where he feels like they can make contributions. Cushing playing inside, Mario and Barwin playing outside, Quin at safety.

They has Asomugha playing a lot of zone earlier on, and it obviously affected him, while Baltimore has Pollard doing what he does best. But at the end of the day, you take Asomugha over Pollard obviously.

Other than KJ, our staff has done a fantastic job with the defense as a whole, especially considering the lost offseason time.
TdotTexas2Step is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011   #3
TexansFanatic
Extremist

Rep Power: 7238 TexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respected

# 10 --- Devin McCourty

TexansFanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011   #4
Big Lou
Stop Clowning

Section: DirecTV
Rep Power: 46521 Big Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respected

Honestly I don't know how they came up with these rankings but Joseph is at least a top 10 CB, if not top 5. I'm a little biased of course, but I've seen very few completions on the guys. I don't have stats to back up my assertion, but seriously when passes are completed against Houston, its either Jackson, Allen, of a Safety in zone coverage. Thats not a knock on the others, but I can only remember a couple of times that I have seen Joseph on a WR that catches a pass.

The guy is a lock down, shut down corner period. It doesn't have the acclaim that Aso and Revis have, but he is a stud when he's on the field.
Old 11-03-2011   #5
Goatcheese
Nightmare Over

Rep Power: 118532 Goatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respected

These are "fantasy" rankings that are determined by fluff stats.

The PFF Fantasy IDP Scoring System

Solo Tackles 1 point
Assisted Tackles .5 points
Sacks 4 points
Tackles for a Loss 3 points
Passes Defensed 1 point
Interceptions 6 points
Forced Fumbles 4 points
Fumble Recoveries 2 points
Touchdowns 6 points
Safeties 10 points
Blocked Kicks 6 points

They have little to do with what a corner's actual job is: Not allowing his man to catch the football and advance down the field. Anything else he does is a bonus.

“Every man takes the limits of his own field of vision for the limits of the world.” -Arthur Schopenhauer
Goatcheese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011   #6
TexanFan881
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1791 TexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TexanFan881

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goatcheese View Post
These are "fantasy" rankings that are determined by fluff stats.

The PFF Fantasy IDP Scoring System

Solo Tackles 1 point
Assisted Tackles .5 points
Sacks 4 points
Tackles for a Loss 3 points
Passes Defensed 1 point
Interceptions 6 points
Forced Fumbles 4 points
Fumble Recoveries 2 points
Touchdowns 6 points
Safeties 10 points
Blocked Kicks 6 points

They have little to do with what a corner's actual job is: Not allowing his man to catch the football and advance down the field. Anything else he does is a bonus.
The date of the article is also September 1st...
Old 11-03-2011   #7
jtexas
Veteran

Rep Power: 3408 jtexas is a quality contributor and well respectedjtexas is a quality contributor and well respectedjtexas is a quality contributor and well respectedjtexas is a quality contributor and well respectedjtexas is a quality contributor and well respectedjtexas is a quality contributor and well respectedjtexas is a quality contributor and well respectedjtexas is a quality contributor and well respectedjtexas is a quality contributor and well respectedjtexas is a quality contributor and well respectedjtexas is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm not sure what time period those stats are coming from. Up through Week 8 here are the 2011 rankings for CB (not just fantasy stats)

Overall
9. Johnathan Joseph
37. Brice McCain
62. Jason Allen
86. Kareem Jackson

1. Darrelle Revis
66. Devin McCourty
73. Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie
76. Ike Taylor
90. Nnamdi Asomugha
95. Dunta Robinson

Coverage Only
8. Johnathan Joseph
30. Brice McCain
80. Jason Allen
88. Kareem Jackson

Joseph is definitely one of the elite and McCourty is having a terrible year. I would say we lucked out.
jtexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 11-03-2011   #8
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 86293 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected

Free Brice McCain.
Old 11-03-2011   #9
kiwitexansfan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 98483 kiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0ng View Post
Free Brice McCain.
Not sure I'd pay that much for him.
Old 11-03-2011   #10
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 348793 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

85. Kareem Jackson HOU > 98. Dunta Robinson ATL
Old 11-03-2011   #11
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 86293 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwitexansfan View Post
Not sure I'd pay that much for him.
Pretty sure Brice McCain has been pretty good in the spot he's playing. Whatever that is.
Old 11-03-2011   #12
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 348793 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

I guess it's fantasy rankings, may be old,

But I'm seeing Darrell Revis #36 from the link in OP???
Old 11-03-2011   #13
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtexas View Post
I'm not sure what time period those stats are coming from. Up through Week 8 here are the 2011 rankings for CB (not just fantasy stats)

Overall
9. Johnathan Joseph
37. Brice McCain
62. Jason Allen
86. Kareem Jackson

1. Darrelle Revis
66. Devin McCourty
76. Ike Taylor
90. Nnamdi Asomugha
95. Dunta Robinson

Coverage Only
8. Johnathan Joseph
30. Brice McCain
80. Jason Allen
88. Kareem Jackson

Joseph is definitely one of the elite and McCourty is having a terrible year. I would say we lucked out.

Yeah...those rankings looked fishy..

:fish:
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011   #14
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 291737 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by welsh texan View Post
these rankings of the top 100 DB's in the NFL this season.

39. Glover Quin HOU
45. Jonathan Joseph HOU
52. Danieal Manning HOU
85. Kareem Jackson HOU
100. Dominique Barber HOU

Of interest may also be;

13. Bernard Pollard BLT
65. Nnamdi Asomugha PHI
81. Leigh Bodden NE
91. Ike Taylor PIT
98. Dunta Robinson ATL
Wow... didn't expect to see Glover so high up there. Nor did I expect to see JJo so low. He's doing a better job than that for us, I think.

Old 11-03-2011   #15
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
Wow... didn't expect to see Glover so high up there. Nor did I expect to see JJo so low. He's doing a better job than that for us, I think.

Keep reading TK...

I wouldn't trust those rankings as gospel...The ones posted by jtexas sem more accurate to me..
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011   #16
ArlingtonTexan

Rep Power: 73193 ArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

please provide linkage for all of these stats...thanks in advance
Old 11-03-2011   #17
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 291737 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by TdotTexas2Step View Post
I think these rankings are of a testament to the importance of putting players in the best position to succeed. Cushing made note recently of how Wade has been putting them in spots where he feels like they can make contributions. Cushing playing inside, Mario and Barwin playing outside, Quin at safety.
I find it interesting when the last DC tried to move Cush inside, it was thought to be one of the dumbest moves ever. It didn't work very well, but trying to put him in there with only the bye week is a little different than putting him there after a full training camp.

But then the dummies (I am included in the group that thought it was dumb) moved him back outside after one week.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TdotTexas2Step View Post

Other than KJ, our staff has done a fantastic job with the defense as a whole, especially considering the lost offseason time.
This staff has KJ in the top 100 & you don't think that is a fantastic job? 128 starters & this "confirms" he should be one.
Old 11-03-2011   #18
ArlingtonTexan

Rep Power: 73193 ArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
I find it interesting when the last DC tried to move Cush inside, it was thought to be one of the dumbest moves ever. It didn't work very well, but trying to put him in there with only the bye week is a little different than putting him there after a full training camp.

But then the dummies (I am included in the group that thought it was dumb) moved him back outside after one week.

This staff has KJ in the top 100 & you don't think that is a fantastic job? 128 starters & this "confirms" he should be one.
I am not going to defend the last FOG (Friend of Gary), but fulltime 4-3 MLB is different than other Lbing positons. Plenty of guys who are 4-3 OLBs (especially strongside) are 3-4 ILBs . Cushing probably can play every LBing position in the NFL except fulltime 4-3 MLb with at least average level of play. He was out of position. He relies on athletic ability with ok instincts, while 4-3 MLB is probably the most the inverse where an average atheletes with above average instints is a really good player. If you have both his name is Ray Lewis.
Old 11-03-2011   #19
2slik4u
All Pro

Section: My Couch
Rep Power: 15444 2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtexas View Post

Overall
9. Johnathan Joseph
37. Brice McCain
62. Jason Allen
86. Kareem Jackson
1. Darrelle Revis
66. Devin McCourty
76. Ike Taylor
90. Nnamdi Asomugha95. Dunta Robinson

Coverage Only
8. Johnathan Joseph
30. Brice McCain
80. Jason Allen
88. Kareem Jackson

Ipso Facto ---> KJ is better than Nnamdi.
Old 11-03-2011   #20
ChampionTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 107813 ChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Folks, these are neither mid-season or real rankings.

These are pre-season, fantasy rankings for individual defensive players. To call them meaningless is to pay a disservice to the term meaningless.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League > Fantasy Football Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read