Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

View Poll Results: After three games, your expectations have:
Remained the Same - Texans will make the play-offs 85 81.73%
Increased a couple of games - Texans will make the play-offs 11 10.58%
Decreased a couple of games - Texans will miss the play-offs 5 4.81%
Remained the Same - Texans never had a chance to make the play-offs 3 2.88%
Voters: 104. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-28-2011   #21
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 140889 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: After three games, your expectations have:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Señor Stan View Post
I am expecting a couple more wins than I originally thought.

I was scared of the 1st 6 games, and thought the Texans would be lucky to be .500 at that point. I can see the them being 4-2 or 5-1 at this point. I also see them doing better by a game or two in division with the injuries/ineptitude.
Don't you work or something? I don't know how you can between here and "The Twitter".
Old 09-28-2011   #22
disaacks3
Site Contributor

Section: 116 - Row M
Rep Power: 158369 disaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respected

We're exactly where I figured we would be after three games...2-1

I figured we'd CRUSH the Kerry Collins Colts - Check

I figured we'd find a way to win @ Miami - Check

I figured we'd lose a close one on the road @ N.O. - Check
Old 09-28-2011   #23
Ghostform
Veteran

Rep Power: 7330 Ghostform is a quality contributor and well respectedGhostform is a quality contributor and well respectedGhostform is a quality contributor and well respectedGhostform is a quality contributor and well respectedGhostform is a quality contributor and well respectedGhostform is a quality contributor and well respectedGhostform is a quality contributor and well respectedGhostform is a quality contributor and well respectedGhostform is a quality contributor and well respectedGhostform is a quality contributor and well respectedGhostform is a quality contributor and well respected

Im pretty sure we'll make the playoffs but the thing is will we win once we get there? This season is kinda like a free pass to the playoffs it seems...we'd really have to screw up not to make it.
Ghostform is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011   #24
Señor Stan
El Guapo

Rep Power: 44650 Señor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan_Bill View Post
Don't you work or something? I don't know how you can between here and "The Twitter".
Señor Stan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011   #25
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 168015 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Still the same for me. I'm not sold, so no vote from me
Old 09-28-2011   #26
sandman
All Pro

Rep Power: 87806 sandman is a quality contributor and well respectedsandman is a quality contributor and well respectedsandman is a quality contributor and well respectedsandman is a quality contributor and well respectedsandman is a quality contributor and well respectedsandman is a quality contributor and well respectedsandman is a quality contributor and well respectedsandman is a quality contributor and well respectedsandman is a quality contributor and well respectedsandman is a quality contributor and well respectedsandman is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by disaacks3 View Post
We're exactly where I figured we would be after three games...2-1

I figured we'd CRUSH the Kerry Collins Colts - Check

I figured we'd find a way to win @ Miami - Check

I figured we'd lose a close one on the road @ N.O. - Check

Seriously. Being 3-0 at this point would have equated to a GREAT road win over the Saints. Anyone who EXPECTED 3-0 going into the game at home against the Steelers was just setting themselves up for disappointment.

They may not have done all the individual parts in a way that I expected them to (see: RZ scoring), but the sum of those parts (2-1) definitely met expectations.
sandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011   #27
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 314353 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandman View Post
Seriously. Being 3-0 at this point would have equated to a GREAT road win over the Saints. Anyone who EXPECTED 3-0 going into the game at home against the Steelers was just setting themselves up for disappointment.

They may not have done all the individual parts in a way that I expected them to (see: RZ scoring), but the sum of those parts (2-1) definitely met expectations.
By all appearances, they certainly SEEM to be a better team than last year, which is why, once again, I'm right back on the same bandwagon for yet another year.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 09-28-2011   #28
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 297041 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny View Post
same, I figured we would lose in a shootout to the Saints. The Pittsburgh game could be a mind changer though.

I just read where you said the Pittsburgh game could be a mind changer and I thought about what we were saying the other day. If the Texans get handled by a physical Steeler team then doesn't that mean they're the same old soft Texans we've come to know and love? Does that mean then that if they stomp a hole in the Steelers then they've changed?

I think that there's no way to say that until they (if they) go on an extended run and say for instance whip the Steelers, Raiders, and then win at Baltimore. I think that nothing short of that is going to make me feel like they're really, really...... really different.

If they lose to Pittsburgh they're unchanged. Same problem, different year.

If they beat Pittsburgh and then lose to the Raiders and Ravens then same thing. They just beat a wounded Steeler team and showed their true "stink" in losses to the Saints, Raiders, and Ravens.

Beat the Steelers and Ravens but lose to the Raiders it's more of the same.

Until they tear it up for more than a game or two they are who we thought they were.
Old 09-28-2011   #29
hradhak
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 8443 hradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respected

They are a better team compared to last year. The defense isn't top 10 but they are much improved. That and a weaker division and we should make the playoffs. Whether that's as a 9-7 division winner and 1 and done in the first round or something better remains to be seen.
hradhak is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011   #30
drs23 
Veteran

Section: No more VIP suite so back to the recliner
Rep Power: 84789 drs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respected

Yes, the AFC South appears to be there for the taking. I feel like we take the Steelers in our house. As I posted earlier, anyone sleeping on the Raiders is making a mistake. They look good. I think we can beat them but it'll be no pleasure cruise. They scare me more than the Ravens even going to Baltimore. By then I think we'll be seeing what this defense is going to be with the players we have. Would be grand if Harris could get on the field and light it to help shore up the secondary but that's just wishful thinking on my part. I guess we'll find out if a 'middle of the pack' defensive unit will be enough for us to take some of these games that the "experts" will have us in the 'L' column.

I'm sticking with my 11-5 prediction but 12-4 would perhaps get us a first round bye. That'd be really cool.

Many thanks to sig Guru FS!

Sent from my keyboard using short, fat fingers.
drs23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011   #31
sandman
All Pro

Rep Power: 87806 sandman is a quality contributor and well respectedsandman is a quality contributor and well respectedsandman is a quality contributor and well respectedsandman is a quality contributor and well respectedsandman is a quality contributor and well respectedsandman is a quality contributor and well respectedsandman is a quality contributor and well respectedsandman is a quality contributor and well respectedsandman is a quality contributor and well respectedsandman is a quality contributor and well respectedsandman is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hervoyel View Post
I just read where you said the Pittsburgh game could be a mind changer and I thought about what we were saying the other day. If the Texans get handled by a physical Steeler team then doesn't that mean they're the same old soft Texans we've come to know and love? Does that mean then that if they stomp a hole in the Steelers then they've changed?

I think that there's no way to say that until they (if they) go on an extended run and say for instance whip the Steelers, Raiders, and then win at Baltimore. I think that nothing short of that is going to make me feel like they're really, really...... really different.

If they lose to Pittsburgh they're unchanged. Same problem, different year.

If they beat Pittsburgh and then lose to the Raiders and Ravens then same thing. They just beat a wounded Steeler team and showed their true "stink" in losses to the Saints, Raiders, and Ravens.

Beat the Steelers and Ravens but lose to the Raiders it's more of the same.

Until they tear it up for more than a game or two they are who we thought they were.
So essentially, they need to win out over the next 13 or they are just the same old "stink"?

EVERY team we play before the bye week except JAX is currently 2-1. So where does the "if they don't beat X team then they haven't changed" logic stop?
Old 09-28-2011   #32
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 326354 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny View Post
same, I figured we would lose in a shootout to the Saints. The Pittsburgh game could be a mind changer though.
My thoughts exactly

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandman View Post

Some of us thought we had a chance against the Saints. & we had them. We had them on the hook. We know that we're going to have to win a couple of games that we aren't supposed to. & that looked like it.

So I am just as disappointed in the loss as anyone else... just don't think it means what they think it means. If we lose to the Steelers, like Vinny, I think those guys would be proven correct.
Old 09-28-2011   #33
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

I think at this point, it's best to have ZERO expectations.

We should ALL be in a week by week mode, just watching and enjoying and seeing if the team builds momentum and learns how to win games whether it's a grinder, a shoot-out, or whatever.

My opinion is that Gary Kubiak is squeamish (there's a REASON he doesn't watch close plays, by the way. He's squeamish). So I don't think the team can ever get over the top because Doug Downer (Kubiak) is at the helm.

Great builder of an offense, even a decent eye for talent, but no cut-throat skill on game days. He's the guy who likes to play war game on an Xbox360 but would throw up at the sight of a severed head on his doorstep.
Old 09-28-2011   #34
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 194239 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Same 15-1 except I thought Pitts would be the loss. If it is, uh oh. Before season began almost all posters thought if O remained high octane and defense improved to top16 we were in playoffs. Well, O is still cooking and D appears better than last season if not the last game, we should go past game 1 PO.

This next game will tell me a lot but not necesarily give an insight to our season record. I want to see vast inprovement with KJ and Allen. If Steelers oline is as weak as being projected, Mario needs to be a tornado. I want to see more from Reed and I need to see Brandon Harris period. Schaub needs to be more on target and I think he will be.
Old 09-28-2011   #35
sandman
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
My thoughts exactly

Some of us thought we had a chance against the Saints. & we had them. We had them on the hook. We know that we're going to have to win a couple of games that we aren't supposed to. & that looked like it.

So I am just as disappointed in the loss as anyone else... just don't think it means what they think it means. If we lose to the Steelers, like Vinny, I think those guys would be proven correct.
Agree on the disappointment. The Texans had the opportunity and failed to capitalize. That being said, a road loss to the Saints determined in the last few minutes of the 4th quarter is not something to hang your head in shame about. You sneak out with a win and you crow about it. You dominate the game and only lose because of a red zone version of erectile dysfunction, and you still take away the positive.

The only way that ends up being a "take two steps back" kind of game for me is if the Saints would have given them a beat down.
Old 09-28-2011   #36
DexmanC
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 38102 DexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantherstang84 View Post
Honestly, I think a lot of folks are discounting the Possum Holler Hillbillies.

They are 2-1 and their defeated opponents are are combined 3-3.

Meanwhile the Texans are also 2-1 and their defeated opponents are combined 0-6.

So I'm definitely not in the "Even Kubiak can't screw this up."

I just can't understand why this team refuses to be the league's Cinderella story year after year.

A la Lions, Bills.

They refuse to take that next step into greatness. I liken them to a college kid who refuses to get a job and get off the parent's tit.
Every time the expectations are high, and it's time to take that
next step, the team does this:
Quote:
This image just describes this team so well. It's on the Texans
to change that fact.
Old 09-29-2011   #37
sandman
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by DexmanC View Post
This image just describes this team so well. It's on the Texans to change that fact.
Exactly. All they did was beat two teams they were supposed to beat and lost a close road game to an elite team that won the Super Bowl two years ago.

The are exactly the same team that they were last year. Except last year's team would have made Collins look like Manning. And allowed Miami to throw for 500 yards and beat them. And they would have been blown out by the Saints.

But other than that, they are the exact same team and will continue to suck until proven otherwise. Worst damn 2-1 team to ever play this sport, I tell you...
Old 09-29-2011   #38
gary
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 54086 gary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to gary

I am just going to let the season play itself out.
Old 09-29-2011   #39
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 194239 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by gary View Post
I am just going to let the season play itself out.
Where is the fun in that?
Old 09-29-2011   #40
coon
Veteran

Rep Power: 4738 coon is a quality contributor and well respectedcoon is a quality contributor and well respectedcoon is a quality contributor and well respectedcoon is a quality contributor and well respectedcoon is a quality contributor and well respectedcoon is a quality contributor and well respectedcoon is a quality contributor and well respectedcoon is a quality contributor and well respectedcoon is a quality contributor and well respectedcoon is a quality contributor and well respectedcoon is a quality contributor and well respected

About the same. We had Saint's against the ropes and just could't deliver the knockout blow. We should get two of the next three and im fine with that. The biggest games are looking to be Tampa and Atlanta later in the season. Hopefully we will have around 3 losses and will be jockeying for a home playoff game
coon is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read