Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 09-28-2011   #21
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 116095 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: This team is a lesser version of the Run-N-Shoot Oilers

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOU-TEX View Post
Pardee got the Oilers much further than what we've seen from this organization. I was not a fan of the R & S, but damn, I don't want to suck anymore.
In all fairness to the "Jerk in Black" he started that playoff run.
Old 09-28-2011   #22
TexansFight
All Pro

Rep Power: 2293 TexansFight is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFight is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFight is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFight is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFight is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFight is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFight is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFight is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFight is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFight is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFight is a quality contributor and well respected

The Houston Oilers were no joke my the first love. My family had season tickets to the Oilers and there was nothing more I liked than going to a game at the House of Pain. I grew up with the Run N Shoot Oilers during my middle school through high school years. I was a freshman in college and was devastated when we lost to the Chiefs in the playoffs after going 12-4. That was the last time a Houston NFL team made the playoffs 18 FRIGGING YEARS AGO AND COUNTING.

I mention all of the above to say that I have a lot of nostalgia and fond memories for the Oilers. That being said the Texans offense IS BETTER than any of the R&S Oilers even with this year's red zone issues. Talent at RB I'd better than any of the backs we had with the Oilers and Andre Johnson is leagues better than any WR with the Oilers. The multiple formations and heavy use of the tight end which the R&S didn't even have is another reason for its superiority. Moon is better than Schaub
TexansFight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011   #23
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 202148 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Both QBs have record total passing yards. But the most contrasting characteristic in comparing the Run and Shoot Oilers was the "excitement factor." Moon's canon arm would allow him to rack up the yards with a very healthy dose of throws into the next zip code.
CloakNNNdagger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011   #24
disaacks3
Site Contributor

Section: 116 - Row M
Rep Power: 118533 disaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hookem Horns View Post
Keeping in comparisons. You're starting a team. Who do you take?

Jack Pardee w/ Kevin Gilbride or Gary Kubiak? Kubiak, yes I really mean that.

Buddy Ryan or Wade Phillips? Buddy Ryan, no question

Warren Moon or Matt Schaub? Schaub, I've already seen Moon choke in the playoffs.

Givens/Jeffires/Duncan/Hill or Andre Johnson? AJ, all day, every day.

Lorenzo White or Arian Foster? Arian Foster, Lorenzo is closer to Tate running-wise.

Bruce Matthews or entire current starting Texans o line? Matthews..can we clone him?

Al Smith or Demeco Ryans? Meco (when healthy)

Ray Childress or JJ Watt? Ray Childress, Watt isn't near HoF material yet.

Chris Dishman or Johnathan Joseph? Dishman - more athleticism, more penalties too, but...

Al Del Greco or Neil Rackers? Toughest choice....Rackers by a Whisker.
My choices in bold.
Old 09-28-2011   #25
TexansFanatic
Extremist

Rep Power: 7238 TexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respected

I would trade everything about the team we have in Houston today for the Oilers team that crapped its collective pants in Buffalo in 1993 provided that team wasn't owned by Bud Adams.

Bud is the dealbreaker.

To me, getting rid of Bud in exchange for the Houston Texans was the deal of the century.
TexansFanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011   #26
hradhak
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 7351 hradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respected

R&S can eat up yards like crazy, but it doesn't utilize a TE much.
Our system is essentially AJ and 3 TEs. Also the run is an afterthought in R&S

That being said, the pass completion % was much lower back then. All these West Coast style offenses increased the pass completion % to the point where you could throw to replace the run (New England style)

The more pass happy league of today compared to the R&S era is probably more appealing to the average fan since every team is putting up 300+ yards. That probably has a lot to do with the rules the NFL has put in to protect QBs and receivers
hradhak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011   #27
Big Lou
Stop Clowning

Section: DirecTV
Rep Power: 23872 Big Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respected

Here come the Jack Pardee signatures!!!!!!!!
Old 09-28-2011   #28
Big Lou
Stop Clowning

Section: DirecTV
Rep Power: 23872 Big Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respected

Its funny you posted this because this is all I could think by halftime, I was going to post something similar Sunday, but I swore off the forum for a couple of days.
Old 09-28-2011   #29
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

I don't know how people are choosing JJ Watt over Ray Childress. Mind boggling.

AJ, Rackers, and Foster are my only Texans that override the Oilers players listed. I even like Al Smith over 'Meco.
Old 09-28-2011   #30
rush2112mn
All Pro

Rep Power: 972 rush2112mn is a quality contributor and well respectedrush2112mn is a quality contributor and well respectedrush2112mn is a quality contributor and well respectedrush2112mn is a quality contributor and well respectedrush2112mn is a quality contributor and well respectedrush2112mn is a quality contributor and well respectedrush2112mn is a quality contributor and well respectedrush2112mn is a quality contributor and well respectedrush2112mn is a quality contributor and well respectedrush2112mn is a quality contributor and well respectedrush2112mn is a quality contributor and well respected
Talking Re: This team is a lesser version of the Run-N-Shoot Oilers

Oilers.....are you a closet titans fan?....lmfao.......
rush2112mn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011   #31
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Section: Channel 700-ish on NFL Sunday Ticket
Rep Power: 93451 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan_Bill View Post
In all fairness to the "Jerk in Black" he started that playoff run.
No Oilers coach got the team further than Bum did after the '78, '79 and '80 seasons. Back to back AFCC games. I'd take him in his prime over Glanville or Pardee and put Wade as DC since we're in fantasy land.
I'd also take the late '70's D over every other D an Oilers or Texans team has fielded before or after. Since I'm in fantasy land, I can magically make those late '70's players match up physically with modern day football players.
DocBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011   #32
SAMURAITEXAN 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 19322 SAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan_Bill View Post
Hellz to the no with Pardee

VVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVV

Him always jacking with his headset!
He wan't calling the play. He was talking to his wife about dinner and sometimes he listened some music.
SAMURAITEXAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011   #33
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Section: Channel 700-ish on NFL Sunday Ticket
Rep Power: 93451 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAMURAITEXAN View Post
He wan't calling the play. He was talking to his wife about dinner and sometimes he listened some music.
Were you old enough to watch the Oilers back then? I think you were stil shatting yourself.
DocBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011   #34
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 146673 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
This. So the question is what is more painful, not making the playoffs for 7 years (10 in our case) or making the playoffs for 7 straight years and choking once there?
'Tis better to have loved and lost, than to have never loved at all.
Old 09-28-2011   #35
SAMURAITEXAN 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 19322 SAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBar View Post
Were you old enough to watch the Oilers back then? I think you were stil shatting yourself.
Yes I am old DocBar and yes I am a lot older than you. I went to Astrodome after AFC Championship vs Steelers(I drove myself to get there). If that gives you idea of how old I am.

Go Texans!!!
Old 09-29-2011   #36
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 213051 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Keeping in comparisons. You're starting a team. Who do you take?

Jack Pardee w/ Kevin Gilbride or Gary Kubiak w/Rick Dennison? (this decision was based on the offense each ran, not coaching ability - the Gilbride offense has a limited ability to run the ball)

Buddy Ryan or Wade Phillips? (Buddy is crazy)

Warren Moon or Matt Schaub? (Moon in a heartbeat! Stronger arm and is more mobile)

Givens/Jeffires/Duncan/Hill or Andre Johnson/Kevin Walter/Owen Daniels/J.Jones/James Casey? (more offensive flexibility; although I'd swap J.Jones for Givens or Duncan in a heartbeat)

Lorenzo White or Arian Foster? This was a toughie. White's probably stronger but Foster is smoother, shiftier, and maybe faster. Who knows how much more effective White could have been with a lead FB)

Bruce Matthews and Mike Munchak or entire current starting Texans o line? (but can I keep Duane Brown )

Al Smith or Demeco Ryans? (this was another toughie)

Ray Childress or JJ Watt? (ask me again in a few years; - interestingly Sean Jones actually had more career sacks than Childress; 113 to 76. I was quite surprised when I looked that up)

Chris Dishman or Johnathan Joseph? (can I swap Dishman for K.J.? Please...?)

Al Del Greco or Neil Rackers? Rackers can kick it out of the endzone, I never recall Del Greco having that kind of leg; plus Racers will make tackles
My choices are bolded
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011   #37
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 317168 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAMURAITEXAN View Post
He certainly wasn't calling plays. Vinny alluded to it earlier in this thread, but Bud wanted Pardee to "look more like a coach", so made him wear a headset that wasn't plugged in.
Old 09-29-2011   #38
SAMURAITEXAN 
Subscribed Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel View Post
He certainly wasn't calling plays. Vinny alluded to it earlier in this thread, but Bud wanted Pardee to "look more like a coach", so made him wear a headset that wasn't plugged in.
Ha ha. Their O was crazy and exciting IMO. For me, I liked Bum' Oilers era the most. He had a charisma and the players like #34,#00,#52 and so on.

Go Texans!!!

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read