Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 09-28-2011   #1
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected
Default This team is a lesser version of the Run-N-Shoot Oilers

Schaub in the role of Warren Moon (lots of passing yards every year), Tate looks very Lorenzo White to me, multiple WR sets and various ways to use them, and a shaky defense that can't stay off the field.

The only difference is that Buddy Ryan came along and shored up the defense, and it made the Oilers dangerous on a new level. Wade is trying to shore up the defense in the same manner.

I dunno. I just watched us in the shoot-out with the Saints, and I watched #44 rumbling through there making some nice runs, and AJ and other WRs/TEs lighting it up with Schaub slinging the ball....and it made me remember the Oilers. Care to discuss? I was a young'un in the Run-N-Shoot era, but it looks eerily similar when I remember watching them play on TV.

Oh, and there was this coach back then who stood pretty stoically on the sideline and was revered as being a genius with an offense. (Sigh.......)
Old 09-28-2011   #2
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 221373 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc
Default Re: This team is a lesser version of the Run-N-Shoot Oilers

Well, they don't really run as much RnS as other teams. The Pats are basically a Run-n-Shoot team, for instance. There's not much difference between those old Oiler teams and the Pats of the last 4-5 years. The Texans don't really go that route. I kind of get what you're saying in terms of feel, but I liken this team to the SB-winning Saints, although to a lesser degree. They have a powerful offense (though not as good as the Saints that year), and they have a pretty poor defense in terms of yardage, but they get turnovers. I think at the end of this year, you'll see the Texans have quite a few turnovers and have won games because of it. I don't think the Texans are good enough to go to the SB, however. It's a weird league though, so you never know.
Old 09-28-2011   #3
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 154151 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

The Oilers made the playoffs 7 straight years back then. Minor difference.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011   #4
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny View Post
Yup, which is why I wisely prefaced my title with the word "LESSER."

It's a knockoff version, IMO. Except in my opinion Warren Moon runs circles around Matt Schaub. He had velocity, timing, accuracy, and split-second decision-making that Matt does not possess to the same degree.

I remember the Oilers defense being dominant and downright nasty. We knocked out Jim Kelly in the Astrodome toward the end of the regular season, only to have Frank Reich beat us in the playoffs as a result of Kelly being out. That's how it went down, right? I don't see our current defense being able to hold a candle to the old Oilers House of Pain.
Old 09-28-2011   #5
GP 
Go Texans!

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriadoc View Post
Well, they don't really run as much RnS as other teams. The Pats are basically a Run-n-Shoot team, for instance. There's not much difference between those old Oiler teams and the Pats of the last 4-5 years. The Texans don't really go that route. I kind of get what you're saying in terms of feel, but I liken this team to the SB-winning Saints, although to a lesser degree. They have a powerful offense (though not as good as the Saints that year), and they have a pretty poor defense in terms of yardage, but they get turnovers. I think at the end of this year, you'll see the Texans have quite a few turnovers and have won games because of it. I don't think the Texans are good enough to go to the SB, however. It's a weird league though, so you never know.
You're correct, sir, on the issue of "run" in the Run-N-Shoot vs. the run we use today in Kubiak's offense. I agree.

I remember the Oilers using the screen pass (Lorenzo White, and then later Gary Brown) as a form of the "run" and they used the screen pass with DEVASTATING results. If White or Brown got their hands on the ball in a screen pass, it was almost a guaranteed 20+ yard play, the linemen would destroy defenders and the two RBs, respectively, would bowl over anybody remaining in their way. That was my favorite play back then: The screen pass! You could just see the defense go "Oh shit..." when it swing out there.
Old 09-28-2011   #6
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 174245 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Every time I think of the Chuck and Duck I think of 35-3 .....

Hope is a poor mans disease.
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011   #7
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 141276 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

The Oilers in my memory (LOL) were much more focused on spreading the ball to WRs than Texans who basically use AJ then TEs. Texans much deeper and stronger in running game and divide the ball much more evenly. Oilers often used 4 WRs. I prefer Texans offense. I'd like to see Texans defense more aggressive like Oilers. Seemed Bud's philosophy was to put "hats" on the ball. If away from the ball, block someone. I don't see that with this team..yet.
Old 09-28-2011   #8
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 247537 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

Texans are nothing like the R&S Oilers despite the superficial resemblence flashed during the Saints game.
Old 09-28-2011   #9
Hookem Horns
That Server Guy

Rep Power: 85968 Hookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
This. So the question is what is more painful, not making the playoffs for 7 years (10 in our case) or making the playoffs for 7 straight years and choking once there?
Hookem Horns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011   #10
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10969 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hookem Horns View Post
This. So the question is what is more painful, not making the playoffs for 7 years (10 in our case) or making the playoffs for 7 straight years and choking once there?
Choking. Was there for all 7 of those years. It was heart breaking.
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011   #11
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 301240 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

The R&S Oilers did not have a TE or FB on the roster. They were unable to consistently run the ball, which is why they blew a 33 point lead in a playoff game.

Buddy Ryan helped us for one season, after the 35-3 debacle and firing of Jim Eddy. The next season started 1-4, iirc, and they they won 11 in a row to make the playoffs.

I'm not seeing the comparisons, from either a success standpoint (i.e. 7 years of playoff appearances) or from a strategy standpoint. The run and shoot is completely different offense than the west coast.
Old 09-28-2011   #12
Hookem Horns
That Server Guy

Rep Power: 85968 Hookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respected

Keeping in comparisons. You're starting a team. Who do you take?

Jack Pardee w/ Kevin Gilbride or Gary Kubiak?

Buddy Ryan or Wade Phillips?

Warren Moon or Matt Schaub?

Givens/Jeffires/Duncan/Hill or Andre Johnson?

Lorenzo White or Arian Foster?

Bruce Matthews or entire current starting Texans o line?

Al Smith or Demeco Ryans?

Ray Childress or JJ Watt?

Chris Dishman or Johnathan Joseph?

Al Del Greco or Neil Rackers?
Hookem Horns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011   #13
HTown2ATX
TexansMetalhead

Rep Power: 59111 HTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respected

In either case, as much as I loved the old R&S Oiler days, as far as position comparisons then and now........believe me I effing LOVED me some Heywood Jeffries and Ernest Givens (who I used to endlessly torch people on some Tecmo Super Bowl back in the day!!!)....but I'll trade both for The Manchild Andre Johnson....beater of punk ass hoes named Cortland Innegan and dominator of defenses!!!!!!

In fact....imagine if 'Dre had been on the team then......

/end

Into black waves I am sinking,Drowning away from the ghosts,Disappearing into eternity,Into the mirror of my soul,The pounding sound is mesmerizing
HTown2ATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011   #14
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 247537 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Jack Pardee w/ Kevin Gilbride or Gary Kubiak?

Buddy Ryan or Wade Phillips?

Warren Moon or Matt Schaub?

Givens/Jeffires/Duncan/Hill or Andre Johnson?

Lorenzo White or Arian Foster?

Bruce Matthews or entire current starting Texans o line?

Al Smith or Demeco Ryans?

Ray Childress or JJ Watt?

Chris Dishman or Johnathan Joseph?

Al Del Greco or Neil Rackers?
1. Pardee & Gilbride but no R&S offense, I KNOW they can both coach other systems.

2. Buddy Ryan

3. Warren Moon.

4. Andre Johnson

5. Arian Foster

6. Bruce Matthews

7. DeMeco Ryans (pre-injury)

8. Flip a coin (between Childress or Watt). You can't go wrong.

9. Joseph over Dishman. I always hated Dishman

10. Rackers, never a fan of "The Geek".
Old 09-28-2011   #15
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 108115 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Jack Pardee w/ Kevin Gilbride or Gary Kubiak? Kevin Gilbride

Buddy Ryan or Wade Phillips? Buddy

Warren Moon or Matt Schaub? Push - Neither were or are able to get it done

Givens/Jeffires/Duncan/Hill or Andre Johnson? AJ, although that set of recievers were very good.

Lorenzo White or Arian Foster? Tough one, AF ?

Bruce Matthews or entire current starting Texans o line? Would've said Bruce - but he's a tinnbred

Al Smith or Demeco Ryans? Al Smith, but not by much

Ray Childress or JJ Watt? Watt 3:16 - Childress pissed me off

Chris Dishman or Johnathan Joseph? I might go Cris

Al Del Greco or Neil Rackers?Who cares about kickers?
My answers, Hookem!
Old 09-28-2011   #16
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 105157 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Jack Pardee w/ Kevin Gilbride or Gary Kubiak? Pardee & Gilbride

Buddy Ryan or Wade Phillips? Buddy Ryan

Warren Moon or Matt Schaub? Moon

Givens/Jeffires/Duncan/Hill or Andre Johnson? AJ

Lorenzo White or Arian Foster? Arian Foster

Bruce Matthews or entire current starting Texans o line? Bruce Mathews

Al Smith or Demeco Ryans? D-Ryans

Ray Childress or JJ Watt? Childress (maybe Watt in a couple years)

Chris Dishman or Johnathan Joseph? Joseph

Al Del Greco or Neil Rackers? Del Greco
In blue
Old 09-28-2011   #17
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 108115 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOU-TEX View Post
In blue
Hellz to the no with Pardee

VVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVV

Him always jacking with his headset!
Old 09-28-2011   #18
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 154151 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

the headset that wasn't plugged in.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011   #19
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Quote:
the headset that wasn't plugged in.
Right!! LMAO!

Funny how we remember stuff like that.
Old 09-28-2011   #20
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 105157 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan_Bill View Post
Hellz to the no with Pardee

Him always jacking with his headset!
Pardee got the Oilers much further than what we've seen from this organization. I was not a fan of the R & S, but damn, I don't want to suck anymore.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read